Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Cedar Shakes

826 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Gil Renard
TexAg2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know where I can purchase cedar shake siding in Houston? My detached garage (built in 1964) has painted cedar shake siding. I need to replace about 20 shakes that were damaged during the last couple of storms.

I haven't tried HD or Lowes to see if they have them, but they aren't showing up on their websites.

I've found several suppliers online where I can order pallets or large quantities, but I don't need that much. Is it even possible to purchase a smaller quantity? TIA
TexAg1987
You might call around to some of the independent lumber stores near you.

You will probably need to tell them the length and thickness you are looking for.

I also see bundles for sale on Amazon, but not sure how to determine quality.

No knowledge of this place, but I'll bet they know what you need.

https://montalbanolumber.com/
jt2hunt
AG
McCoy?
agclassof08
AG
May check ABC Supply up on FM 529. They use to stock cedar shake several years ago.
Waltrip88
AG
I bought some from Grogan's on Yale about 10 years ago when I had to replace some siding. They sold them in boxes. Can't remember the price.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Could call your roofer to see if they will either sell you some or tell you who their supplier is.
TexAg1987
Siding likely to be wider than roof shakes.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Fair enough. Maybe regional, but I think most of the siding shakes here are the interchangeable with roofing shakes. I googled "siding shakes" and there are some very different ones out there than you see here. I'm so glad to have my wood shake roof replaced. It was an insurance nightmare to work with.
TexAg2001
AG
Thanks all. I called a Montalbano and another lumber store. They both said they have them, but only sell in bundles that cover roughly 50sf are about $250. I guess I'll need to bite the bullet and purchase a larger amount than I need.
TexAg1987
50 sq. ft isn't much. You will probably find that you need to replace more than just the damaged ones you think you need to replace once you start trying to remove and replace.

At least you will have some spares for the future!

OR you could always sell what you don't use to another homeowner like yourself.
Gil Renard
AG
https://lpcorp.com/products/siding-trim/products/shakes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.