Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Kitchen Renovation - new kitchen sink…thoughts and opinions needed

2,263 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Whoop Delecto
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, so what are y'all's thoughts and opinions of kitchen sinks?

Composite granite (seems like a crap load of resin)
Porcelain?
Fireclay?
Stainless in a dark shade?
Enameled cast iron? (Leaning this way right now - Kohler)

Pros cons?
What did you learn/what do you know?

THANKS for any personal experiences. I've read more than I care to about them… would like real experiences now.
ktownag08
AG
Have had a Blanco Composite Granite sink in darker colors over two different houses, and zero fading/wear shown.

We even scrub it from time to time with Bar Keep Friend, and still has held up.

If stainless doesn't match the rest of your kitchen, it gives a really nice look.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
We have this one.

https://www.kohler.com/en/products/kitchen-sinks/shop-kitchen-sinks/whitehaven-35-1-2-x-21-9-16-x-9-5-8-undermount-single-bowl-farmhouse-kitchen-sink-6488?skuId=6488-0&id=ps_goo_kbus_dtc_2023_689646597507_f02_a2c7d2e12m13&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiuC2BhDSARIsALOVfBL8gv-0mC9kHNPJtQZR7XC7WIaTr1gZ0qRFdgNQHrEW6cgvWv79BbUaAsZYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Only negative is it stains. Downside to stainless is it can dent.
p_bubel
Do you have soft water or hard water?
tgivaughn
AG
Traditional SS in heaviest guage now 42yo looks like new, no dents, always with a disposal installed.
Adding a color ala PVD? Warranty 25 years?

Willing to try Quartz next time after some research ...
IMHO and am sticking to it
txag2008
AG
Highly recommend the Blanco SILGRANIT sinks. Look great and hold up well.
OnlyForNow
AG
We saw a bunch of the Silgraint sinks today… personally not my thing or wife's.

Feels/sounds very plasticy, even when mounted in the show room.
evan_aggie
AG
We chose a fire clay in our first kitchen remodel. It never stained and we were happy with it.

In our second / current home we went with the Kohler whitehaven. My only complaint is that it stains as said above. The rubber feet on the stainless steel grate leave yellow stains that have to be scrubbed off with bar keepers friend.

It looks fantastic when it's cleaned but I don't remember the fireclay needing as much attention.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not what you are asking about, but the Delta touch faucet is one of the greatest inventions in the last few decades.
AggieOO
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Not what you are asking about, but the Delta touch faucet is one of the greatest inventions in the last few decades.

We have this plus the Kohler linked above. Great combo. I will never go back to a non-touch faucet again.
OnlyForNow
AG
What stains it?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Dark stuff like marinara sauce, etc. Rust is sometimes a problem. Like previously mentioned, it's always cleanable with some barkeepers fiend and elbow grease.
OnlyForNow
AG
I mean, is that really staining then? I would consider staining to be something much more pemanent that gets through the enamel coating.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yeah I wouldn't say any of it is permanent. Our last house had a similar sink and I let a cast iron skillet sit way too long and it left a ***** of a stain.
OnlyForNow
AG
Good to know! Thanks man.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I have this one in white
we have no problems with stains

https://www.kohler.com/en/products/kitchen-sinks/shop-kitchen-sinks/cape-dory-33-x-22-x-9-5-8-under-mount-single-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-5-oversize-faucet-holes-5864-5u?skuId=5864-5U-0
evan_aggie
AG
Meant to reply to OP.

Let's put it this way. If you like a relatively clean sink, you'll be using bar keepers or magic eraser on a kohler coated cast iron weekly.

If you have fireclay side by side, it won't look as bad after 1-2 weeks. Of course you may still scrub/wipe down for cleanliness.
Sea Speed
AG
Just don't make the mistake of getting a single basin sink. Absolute worst.
OnlyForNow
AG
Not a chance of that happening. 2 basin for kitchen and leaning 2 basin for laundry/utility.
evan_aggie
AG
Really? I love a single sink basin
Sea Speed
AG
It's the worst thing ever imo. I've hated it both times I have had them. Current house came with one and I am about to replace it.
evan_aggie
AG
To each their own!

I don't mind a smaller area separated for the disposal, but how could you ever clean or soak anything larger than 15-18".

We often soak baking sheets, really large pots, roasting dishes.

Most will fit if you do a 36" that is 12" + 24" separation, but the 50/50 are two small sinks that are less useful.
aTm_bomb
AG
2 basin for me as well. Blanco also makes a 2 basin but the divider a low rise, not to the top of the sink. Helps that problem for putting large pans flat in the sink.

Also comes in 50/50 split or 60/40.

Pretty sure Kohler makes a similar one in enameled cast iron.
MS08
AG
Single basin sink or bust is my vote. 9" depth.
DallasAggie89
AG
We've had one of these for years. Still love it.

https://www.creategoodsinks.com/collections/single-bowl-sinks
ChoppinDs40
AG
We have the same sink. Get the stainless metal rack that sits on the bottom. Keeps pots and pans off the sink.

Bar keeps friend cleaning once a month or so and it looks brand new.
agracer
AG
Sea Speed said:

Just don't make the mistake of getting a single basin sink. Absolute worst.
Why? Every person I know who spends any time in the kitchen and likes to cook wants or replaced a double basin with a single.

Wife hates our 2-basin sink and when we re-do the kitchen will replace with single basin.
DallasAggie89
AG
I have a single basin and love it.
evan_aggie
AG
Yeah I didn't get it either. Almost everyone I know with two basin says it sucks bc it limits the size of the pans/dishes you can comfortably wash while still have some space for additional dishes.

The only complaint I could see if you are old school and really want to wash dishes by hand and have a "clean water" side and a dirty side. But I imagine most of America just does a quick scrub and throws it in the dishwasher.

But to each their own! I'm sure there are a few people here that love a round toilet seat vs an elongated too.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm a two basin guy.

Even with large over sized baking pans and what not, I like having the other side for whatever that isn't being washed or used.

Want to set meat or something out to thaw and use the sink, well either it's getting washed off or placed in the single basin or smaller side.

Current sink is a 30" double basin 60/40. New one is going to be the kohler whiteheaven sea salt double basin 60/40.

Leggo My Elko
AG
Just sold a house with a two basin and moved into a kitchen with single basin.

Pros and cons to both, but all things considered - I wish I had a two basin.

The ability to have standing water in one side and still a usable sink trumps everything else.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I've lived with both and think single basin is the way. I've also never felt the need to have a sink full of water, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Caliber
AG
a 60/40 low divide sink is the best of both worlds for me. I can still wash large things in the sink and have fillable, separate sides. Not as many options with low divide but worth looking into!
AggieChemE09
AG
I currently have a 60/40. I hate it. I absolutely hate it. I am building a new home and it will have a single basin.
Aggietaco
AG
I'm a 2 basin fan, but a single basin is fine if you have runnels in your countertop or use a dish rack. I like to pre-rinse stuff and set aside ahead of washing in the sink.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.