Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Electrical Help

598 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by BenTheGoodAg
betadawg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a GFI in the kitchen that won't reset. It's a 20A on a 20A circuit. I replace the outlet with another GFI and it still will not reset. I also removed the outlet and connected the wires and this didn't trip the breaker and everything worked down line. This makes me think it has to be the outlet but I'm at a loss why a new outlet didn't fix the issue.

I know just enough to hurt myself so any ideas would be appreciated.
tgivaughn
AG
Moisture or leak inside the wall?
IMHO and am sticking to it
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Breaker trip isn't the same as a GFI trip. Different mechanism and purpose.

The outlet does need to be connected properly (Line vs Load) for it to work properly. Check that first.

Test the outlet by just connecting the Line side only. If it doesn't trip, connect the load side. If that trips, go to the next outlet, disconnect the load side. Turn power back on and see if it trips the GFI. Repeat. And keep working your way from outlet to outlet. This will isolate the ground fault, if it exists.

There are some other things it could be, but unlikely based on how it started tripping.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Get an outlet tester and see if it's wired correctly.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Wrong symbol
betadawg1
AG
Load side tripped it. Found a plug that appeared to be damaged. Replaced it and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for the advice.
jt2hunt
AG
Love to hear good and endings and home improvement!
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Awesome, glad you found it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.