Soccer for my 7 yr old son.

639 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Halconblack
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, my wife and I want to get the kidlet in soccer. Anyone have any recommendations? There are several groups that look good. Appreciate any advice. He's 7 and we live in Northwood.
TX_Hunter
AG
Look at i9 sports. Multiple locations around town, and only takes up a couple of hours on Saturday, versus leagues like CYO that practice 2 -3x per week with 1 - 2 games each weekend.
supermanrv
AG
Our CYO does have several practices and games a week, but the season is only 6 weeks long so that helps.
poet0715
AG
Our sons both started off in CYO. CYO is great place to learn the basics but a lot depends on the quality of the coaches/parents. In that age group for CYO, believe they play 7v7 and each player must play a minimum of 2 quarters.

Our kids rapidly outgrew the talent level at CYO and wanted to play soccer year around. Both our kids (8 and 6) now play for SA City FC and have for the last couple of seasons. Definitely a higher level of commitment, timing and financially, but the coaches and facilities are fantastic. They have 3 different locations - Great NW, North, and East. So depending on where you live or work should be able to find something convenient.

Let me know if you'd like some additional information and I'd be happy to provide as much background as possible.
lp01
AG
Our kids did the Fort Sam league when they were younger. I've known other kids that have done i9 and the SA City FC.
agdoc2001
AG
We did NEYSO before moving up to Academy and I thought it was a good program. Emphasis on getting lots of touches every game with very few stoppages. I9 is easy on parents, but pretty much bottom of the barrel in terms of skill level and coaching.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reload8098
AG
Thanks for the feedback. We just moved to Northwood. Not sure that really matters. He's dying to makie new friends.
lp01
AG
We've been in Northwood for years. As I said, the kids enjoyed Fort Sam and got to meet different kids from the neighborhood that they didn't go to school with. They did that until they were old enough to join at school a few years back. We do the same thing with Little League now.
BBGigem
AG
All 3 of my kids started with NEYSO. Just like any sport, the coach has a ton to do with development. My son was like, I'm done with soccer after 2 seasons. Both of my girls took to it and after a few seasons of NEYSO they went club all the way through high school. Fortunate enough that they both got to play in college. Enjoy thinking back to their youth soccer days.
Halconblack
AG
Alamo Heights Fort Sam Houston is the predominant league in our area. Games are played in Converse.

https://ahfsh.cornerkicksystems.com/page/show/46690-recreational-league-4u-8u
v/r
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.