Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Let's talk Mexican restaurant chains

9,302 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by schmellba99
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lol this is great.
TXAGBQ76
AG
The Ninfas on Navigation? That place was good and mama would greet the customers.
HtownAg92
AG
I grew up on Los Tios and have been a regular for a good 40+ years. Always have lived by one -- early on Kirkwood / Memorial, Meyerland for 20+ years, even had one nearby when we were outcasts in Sugar Land after Harvey. Some of our regular waiters were outcasts there too until they rebuilt Meyerland.

Menu hasn't really changed in all that time. Same numbered specials, same combo plates.

Salsa has always been consistent and good. Chile gravy always been outstanding.

I left Houston and won't miss much about it, but will miss Los Tios.
dustin999
AG
My favorite Mexican chain is probably Maudie's. Mostly based in Austin I believe.

Great house margs on the rocks, and their cheese enchiladas are top notch, especially for a chain.

Queso is good too.

I can't speak to anything else other than these 3 things because they're so good I've never ventured anywhere else on the menu.

The Maudie's on 360 is the best one IMO, great people watching and location. We typically go to the one in Bee Cave though.
Tailgate88
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

The Ninfas on Navigation? That place was good and mama would greet the customers.

Still damn good, we are there a couple months back. Can't wait until next time.
jetch17
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Plus they have cannabis margs now
zooguy96
AG
Anything in Texas > Anything in Tennessee. East Tennessee at least. We have a Chuy's (mediocre in TX), and it's way better than any other local place. The places here think stewed tomatoes from a can and one or two bits of onion and cilantro is salsa.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Mamma Betty's in North Austin
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
AggieOO
is that a chain? never heard of it.

just looked it up. not sure i'd consider two-austin locations a chain.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Momma Betty was the head manager of a bunch of Ninfa Restaurants in Houston I believe.

Her sons opened these places up in her honor.

I don't think the food is quite as good but I haven't been to Ninfa's in years
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
HTownAg98
I'm going to have to try that. My wife isn't a huge Tex-Mex fan, but there's enough other stuff on the menu for her to try. I'll be judging their guacamole against Santa Catarina's.
MichaelJ
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I'm going to have to try that. My wife isn't a huge Tex-Mex fan, but there's enough other stuff on the menu for her to try. I'll be judging their guacamole against Santa Catarina's.

HTownAg98
She's good at other things besides her disdain for Tex-Mex.
BigN--00
AG
Taco Palenque is worth trying if you go to San Antonio or Corpus.
schmellba99
AG
RIP Panchos Mexican Buffet

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.