Story Poster
Photo by Matt Sachs, TexAgs
Texas A&M Basketball

The Coach: Billy Kennedy and the art of proving the doubters wrong

March 9, 2016

See also: Billy Kennedy named SEC Coach of the Year, five Aggies make All-SEC teams.

As Billy Kennedy finished cutting down the nets in celebration of Texas A&M’s Southeastern Conference basketball championship on Saturday, I kind of expected him to turn the crowd and flash the “No. 1” sign.

I just wasn’t sure which finger he’d use.

That’s a joke, of course. Kennedy has way too much character and is much too classy to resort to such gestures.

But could you really have blamed him if he’d addressed his detractors among the A&M fan base by asking: “How do you like me now, witches?” Or, something like that.

There is no doubt Kennedy has heard and/or read the critics that have called for his dismissal and questioned his abilities as a coach.

That was clear in the press conference following the Aggies’ 76-67 victory over Vanderbilt when he gave thanks for the support he’s gotten at A&M.

“The support has been tremendous from the administration, most of the fans and a lot of loyal supporters,” Kennedy said. “We’re really thankful to be part of a special run.”

Most of the fans have been supportive. Still, there has been a very outspoken group that has relentlessly bashed Kennedy.

Matt Sachs, TexAgs Kennedy's tasks upon arrival included overhauling a roster that lacked the athleticism to compete in the SEC and was suffering from APR issues. {"Module":"photo","Alignment":"left","Size":"large","Caption":"Kennedy\u0027s tasks upon arrival included overhauling a roster that lacked the athleticism to compete in the SEC and was suffering from APR issues.","MediaItemID":65365}
They’ve accused him of destroying the program. They attacked him for having a mild-mannered personality. They’ve suggested he’s incompetent. They’ve maintained he cannot win at a high level.

When he proved them wrong by delivering A&M’s first conference championship in 30 years, they gave credit to assistant coach Rick Stansbury for A&M’s rise.

No matter what Kennedy does, some Aggies just won’t give him the respect for a job well done.

He took over a declining program in 2011. He had health issues. He had to rebuild a minimally talented roster. He had to dismiss players. He had bad luck with injuries.

Last year Kennedy appeared to have won over most of his detractors. The Aggies were 20-8 and appeared destined for the NCAA Tournament.

Then, Danuel House broke his left foot. A&M suffered three straight losses and had to settle for the NIT.

That added fuel to the 'fire Kennedy' crowd.

It’s not that uncommon for a team to collapse when a star player is injured. It happened at A&M in 1994. The Aggies were tied with Texas for first place in the closing weeks of the Southwest Conference race. Then, Joe Wilbert sustained an eye injury in a loss to SMU. Losses to Baylor and Texas Tech followed. The Aggies eventually ended up in the NIT.

It happens at other places, too.

Cincinnati was ranked No. 1 in the nation in 2000 when Kenyon Martin broke his leg in the first game of the Conference USA Tournament. The Bearcats were eliminated in the second round of the NCAA Tournament by Tulsa.

After last season, Kennedy vowed A&M would reach the 2016 NCAA Tournament. He’s made good on that promise.

Kennedy’s team could win a game or two in this year’s NCAA Tournament. That would be a remarkable accomplishment considering A&M has reached the Sweet Sixteen just twice in school history.

Speaking of accomplishments, on Tuesday the SEC named Kennedy Coach of the Year. It marked the fourth such award in Kennedy's career — one in the Southland Conference while coaching Southeastern Louisiana, two as the coach at Murray State in the Ohio Valley and now one in the SEC.

Other programs surely have noticed what Kennedy has accomplished and are likely impressed.

Matt Sachs, TexAgs Now, Kennedy is the architect of Texas A&M's first conference title since Shelby Metcalf roamed the G. Rollie White sidelines. {"Module":"photo","Alignment":"right","Size":"large","Caption":"Now, Kennedy is the architect of Texas A\u0026M\u0027s first conference title since Shelby Metcalf roamed the G. Rollie White sidelines.","MediaItemID":67632}
If LSU opts to make a coaching change would Kennedy, a New Orleans native, be a candidate for that job? If so, would he take the call?

He should, but probably would not.

Kennedy strikes me as being more loyal to A&M than maybe some Aggies are to him.

Yet, the main reason I think he would stay is that he worked so hard to recruit freshmen Tyler Davis, Admon Gilder and D.J. Hogg.

That trio, along with sophomore Tonny Trocha-Morelos, should form the nucleus of a talented team for the future.

And as Kennedy continues to recruit well, he could be flashing that No. 1 sign again and again.

He’ll be using the index finger, of course.
Discussion from...

The Coach: Billy Kennedy and the art of proving the doubters wrong

41,443 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Player To Be Named Later
Expert Analysis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I pretty much second everything Bobinator said. Spot on assessment.

Who has been proven wrong? Did anyone not expect us to make the tourney even with Kennedy coaching? We were expected to finish high in the SEC. We did that and ended up sharing the league title. I'm not sure anyone expected the SEC to be as bad as it is though. We are a 4 or a 5 seed and have looked pretty bad at times this year. We had 2 people transfer this year and currently have 5 scholarships open for next year.

Having success in 1 season is not a reason to heap praise when the previous 4 seasons did not meet expectations. Much like 1 bad year is not a reason to be calling for coaching changes. Next year is a make or break year, we are in semi rebuild mode and may have a short bench, but the potential is there with a solid starting 5.
GE
AG
quote:
The problem is that most people with any sense thought this team would be a NCAA squad. Now winning the conference is a big deal, and and being a 4 seed compared to 7/8 is better than I (and many) would have thought. He deserves respect and credit for that accomplishment.

The concern, which is completely legitimate given Kennedy's performance his first four years and over his career, is that this year is not the norm for him here or throughout his career. It seems dumb to gloat to fans who were rightfully criticizing an under performing coach, because he had one good year out of five.
You say not the norm for him throughout his career, but he has coached for five or more years at three different schools now and in all three of those year 5's his teams won their conference championship.
PA24
AG
Kennedy fan here, never a bad word or thought actually

TAMU stuck by him after his personal issues were announced, his what....first yr. here...while most Div1 schools would have not.

Poor written, one sided article

Lance Uppercut
AG
This article was premature. The team will likely be poised to have the greatest finish in the history of Aggie basketball, but if they lose in the first two rounds, the "doubters" are going to think Kennedy squandered the best, most talent-loaded roster in recent memory and all come rushing back.

I'm with Pumpkinhead, he should get a mulligan considering the circumstances surrounding the first season. But anybody who watched the next two years couldn't say they were watching anything other than objectively bad, poorly coached teams. The first team was easily at least an NIT team. The SEC RPI as a conference has been #9, 7, 6 and 6 since we joined which highlights just how bad our finishes were in those seasons.

Why are there doubters? Because we had a team that lost to teams like Rice, North Texas, and Southern for many years. Because we watched a team that got blown out by double digits, often to mediocre to bad SEC teams. Because for the first 3 years, we weren't good at a single facet of the game down to the fundamentals. Because whatever the makeup of Turgeon's players (why Olin needed to trash them I don't know), Turgeon didn't recruit the revolving door of transfers that followed for the next 3 years. Because it's not ridiculous to wonder how a team without Stansbury would look and to wonder if this is an anomaly or the new normal. Because we couldn't get up and win one game to make the tournament last year against awful Auburn and Alabama teams (Alabama who we led at half and traveled with a reduced roster). Because even in the CBI and NIT, we didn't make it past the 2nd round. Because despite Turgeon's faults, it took Kennedy longer than Turgeon's entire tenure at A&M to get back to that point. Because the SEC title has gone to someone with 5 or more losses only 5/6 times going back to 1980.

Even Kennedy recognized it wasn't working and blew up his coaching staff after year 3. He gets credit for putting together this team, these coaches, and getting them this far. It's always better to win right now to reward the players on the team, and it's a great story that Kennedy could make a turnaround.

But the doubters exist because they were given a ton of reasons to doubt. Kennedy became a multi-millionaire by under-performing for four years in a way that would have gotten him fired at any school that took basketball seriously. But now Olin is extending the middle finger for Kennedy to fans that paid money, made trips, and devoted a number of Saturdays and Tuesdays to watching and supporting a struggling basketball team...all because they dared to state the obvious. Kind of ridiculous. I suggested early in the year that we drop any grudges about previous seasons because of how talented this team was and where they could go. Olin is making it seem like he and Kennedy weren't willing to do the same.
txag72
AG
Am I crazy or is there 2 versions of the responses to this article going around depending on ? what you click on?
Deputy Travis Junior
That's too small a sample size, especially when you consider how far away we were from this 3 years in. Almost this entire team (including the staff) was built after March 2014. Kudos to him for making the staff moves he needed to make and busting his ass on the recruiting trail, but we can stop with the "grand plan from day 1" stuff. It simply isn't true and all of the facts back that up.

Basically, you can break his tenure into two completely separate parts. Years 1-3, which we were awful according to every metric and during which we showed no improvement, and years 4-5, which featured complete rebuilds of the roster and staff. There wasn't a smooth transition. So being told we're stupid because we couldn't see the improvement from the get go, when no such improvement actually existed, gets a little old.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

Having success in 1 season is not a reason to heap praise when the previous 4 seasons did not meet expectations.

Naw, I think if the current team gets to at least the Sweet Sixteen on top of winning the first Conference title in 30 years then lots of praise can be heaped on the 2015-2016 staff and players regardless of what happened the first 4 seasons. A special season is a special season and should be appreciated for what it is/was without the baggage of previous years or the worries of future ones somehow diminishing it.
txag72
AG
Ah, seems there is one set of responses on the basketball board and another set of responses on the Premium board. Interesting differences.
FTAG 2000
AG
Still has zero NCAA wins as our coach.

Let's hold off on building a statute for him, shall we?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Still has zero NCAA wins as our coach.

Let's hold off on building a statute for him, shall we?

Nope. F*** you.

/staff
wacarnolds
AG
Well said, Lance.
TxAg76
AG
quote:
I often like Olin's articles and appreciate his takes on TexAgs Radio, but the more I thought about this particular piece, I just don't like the agenda behind it (that Kennedy should be essentially giving his skeptics the bird) nor do I like the timing of it (the next 2-3 weeks could be the funnest of the season and no need IMO to be putting out an article like that this right now that is basically attacking a portion of our own fan base).

Had Olin come to me with this idea for an article, I'd have advised him 'Just let it go. Let's enjoy the post-season.'

Well now.....aren't you just a cute little beacon of wisdom and light!
W
AG
I would stand by on taking a victory lap / spiking the football on the Kennedy doubters. Let's make sure the Ags avoid the 4-13 or 5-12 upset in the 1st round first.

thru the years many a great season has been ruined by an embarrassing first round loss. (not talking specifically about A&M...but about college basketball teams in general)
GE
AG
quote:
That's too small a sample size, especially when you consider how far away we were from this 3 years in. Almost this entire team (including the staff) was built after March 2014. Kudos to him for making the staff moves he needed to make and busting his ass on the recruiting trail, but we can stop with the "grand plan from day 1" stuff. It simply isn't true and all of the facts back that up.

Basically, you can break his tenure into two completely separate parts. Years 1-3, which we were awful according to every metric and during which we showed no improvement, and years 4-5, which featured complete rebuilds of the roster and staff. There wasn't a smooth transition. So being told we're stupid because we couldn't see the improvement from the get go, when no such improvement actually existed, gets a little old.
The overarching point that I was trying to make is that at each of his stops, the results have been similar. I don't think he came here thinking "let's burn this mother to the ground and then build it back up and we'll be pretty good in year four" and win the conference. That's just what ended up having to happen after the disastrous year 1 destroyed recruiting and left him entering year 2 with a couple good seniors, a couple good freshmen, and not much in between.

Southeastern Louisiana (Southland Conference) (1999-2005)
199900 10-17 (5-13) T9th
200001 8-21 (5-15) 11th
200102 7-20 (6-14) 10th
200203 11-16 (9-11) 8th
200304 20-9 (11-5) T1st
200405 24-9 (13-3) T1st

Murray State (Ohio Valley Conference) (2006-2011)
200607 16-14 (13-7) T2nd
200708 18-13 (13-7) 2nd
200809 19-12 (13-5) T2nd
200910 31-5 (17-1) 1st
201011 23-9 (14-4) 1st

Texas A&M (2011present)
201112 14-18 (4-14) 9th
201213 18-15 (7-11) 11th
201314 18-16 (8-10) 9th
201415 21-12 (11-7) T3rd
201516 24-7 (13-5) T1st
salvatore_ditmars
GE - will you at least admit that we heard the same basic thing about BK's year 4 at ALL (not just the ones you picked) of his previous stops last year? it was pointed to last year in all of the pre-season hype - BK needed his guys, year 4 was the big uptick year at each of his stops, this was the season we finally got AROB, the PG he needs to run his scheme.
txag72
AG
quote:

.....thru the years many a great season has been ruined by an embarrassing first round loss.
One loss to a tournament team, any tournament team, does not ruin a complete season's body of work. We've probably already lost this season to weaker teams than a 14 or 15 tourney seed, and it isn't ruined. Disappointed in a one game performance, yes, but does the other team ever get credit?
AggieBill005
AG
quote:
Comparing the House situation to Kenyon Martin is a little ridiculous. For one, House isn't about to be the number one pick in the draft, he's maybe a second round pick. And Martin got hurt in the CUSA Tournament so it's not like Cincy got much practice time without him. Even then they were leading Tulsa late in the second half of that game, and that Tulsa team was pretty damn good. And again, they still got to the second round of the NCAA's without the number one pick in the draft.

We lost House and lost to Alabama and Auburn. Also, winning the SEC is a major accomplishment, obviously. But it's not like we won the Big 12 or something. We won the league and we beat exactly one ranked team one time to do it.

Also the APR thing was a real thing, I wrote about it plenty, but in retrospect we would have been better off just going ahead and kicking people off the team and taking the penalty and getting it over with instead of dragging it out. We weren't about to go to the NCAA's his second season anyway.

To me, Kennedy underperformed last year. I don't even think that's really debatable. But overall he's done a good job this year and if he can take next year's team to the tournament then he'll have done a good job next year also.

But this whole he would have been in the right to say "eff the haters" thing is absurd. There is PLENTY to be critical about over the last several seasons.

I don't like being negative, because we're in a great spot now, but there's no need to rewrite history.

And it really remains to be seen whether this team underperforms this year. We had a team to win the SEC outright and at one time there were talks about us being a potential 1 seed --- then that inexplicable string of losses. So our potential was a top seed and running away with the conference to a mid-level seed and tying. That seems the epitome of underperforming.
txag72
AG
^
Moving the goal posts and picking and choosing what part of the schedule to look at. How could we ever meet expectations with that sort of reasoning? The losses weren't inexplicable, all but one was on the road. Something we were no. 1 in the conference at winning.
txag72
AG
quote:

I don't like being negative, because we're in a great spot now, but there's no need to rewrite history.
If you don't want to rewrite history, quit dwelling in the past. We're the no. 1 seed and Co-Champs. That's not history. That is the here and now.
sharpdressedman
OB didn't mention that this season's success was largely a function of an all-world recruiting class falling into BK's lap. I guess OB didn't want to re-hash that adage about a blind squirrel finding a nut.
bobinator
AG
quote:
quote:

If you don't want to rewrite history, quit dwelling in the past. We're the no. 1 seed and Co-Champs. That's not history. That is the here and now.
This whole article is about history...
GE
AG
quote:
GE - will you at least admit that we heard the same basic thing about BK's year 4 at ALL (not just the ones you picked) of his previous stops last year? it was pointed to last year in all of the pre-season hype - BK needed his guys, year 4 was the big uptick year at each of his stops, this was the season we finally got AROB, the PG he needs to run his scheme.
Yes, people talked up BK in year four. I think he only coached two years at centenary though so only had two year fours before coming to A&M. Do you disagree that there was an uptick last year though? That was the first year where hope for a better future even entered the equation in my mind.
GE
AG
quote:
OB didn't mention that this season's success was largely a function of an all-world recruiting class falling into BK's lap. I guess OB didn't want to re-hash that adage about a blind squirrel finding a nut.
His next three commitments being of the same quality as those four suggest your blind squirrel finding a nut theory is inaccurate.
Tango Mike
TexAgs employs the worst collection of "journalists" on the Internet. I wish Sandhop's 2008 article stating A&M was the best program in Texas was still on the intertrons
The Collective
AG
quote:
But now Olin is extending the middle finger for Kennedy to fans that paid money, made trips, and devoted a number of Saturdays and Tuesdays to watching and supporting a struggling basketball team...all because they dared to state the obvious. Kind of ridiculous.

Spot on.
Uncle Jimbo
This whole "Aggies won't give a coach credit for doing a good job" bit is hilarious.

If anything, we're probably the biggest head coaching apologists of any major fanbase in the country.
czar_iv
AG
quote:
So I don't really agree that much with the Turgeon bashing that has gone on the past several years. Sure Turgeon had some flaws and was kind of whiny and his recruiting was mediocre compared to what was flowing to Waco and Austin, and I guess the APR thing was a growing problem, but the guy still won 24 games per year and got into the NCAA every season. He was a good coach IMO.
Uncle Jimbo
As it is now, I think he's produced a good team in 2015-2016, but I'm not convinced about anything related to program trajectory.

If Kennedy has us back in the tournament next year (and next year's team SHOULD be a tournament team), then I will eat my words and feel good about program trajectory.

Pardon me if I'm not that impressed with it taking him 5 years to assemble an NCAA team, a team composed of 4 senior starters. That doesn't sound to me like he's building a program. It sounds to me like he was building a team for one year. And if you're going to go the one year ALL IN route, I expect that one year to be better than this one has been.
FTAG 2000
AG
quote:
quote:
The problem is that most people with any sense thought this team would be a NCAA squad. Now winning the conference is a big deal, and and being a 4 seed compared to 7/8 is better than I (and many) would have thought. He deserves respect and credit for that accomplishment.

The concern, which is completely legitimate given Kennedy's performance his first four years and over his career, is that this year is not the norm for him here or throughout his career. It seems dumb to gloat to fans who were rightfully criticizing an under performing coach, because he had one good year out of five.
You say not the norm for him throughout his career, but he has coached for five or more years at three different schools now and in all three of those year 5's his teams won their conference championship.
How many NCAA wins in that illustrious 18 year career of his?
FTAG 2000
AG
quote:
As it is now, I think he's produced a good team in 2015-2016, but I'm not convinced about anything related to program trajectory.

If Kennedy has us back in the tournament next year (and next year's team SHOULD be a tournament team), then I will eat my words and feel good about program trajectory.

Pardon me if I'm not that impressed with it taking him 5 years to assemble an NCAA team, a team composed of 4 senior starters. That doesn't sound to me like he's building a program. It sounds to me like he was building a team for one year. And if you're going to go the one year ALL IN route, I expect that one year to be better than this one has been.

And us being A&M, we'll lose first round, then give Kennedy an extension and raise for this season, then return to the Kennedy of the last four years.
txagssweetie2014
I saw significant changes (asst coaches and recruiting) after his 3rd year. Last year is when I decided to jump back on the BK bandwagon. He exceeded my expectations this year with a top 25 team and winning the conference.

I can understand posters who weren't on the BK bandwagon after his first 3 years. But I cannot understand the posters who wanted him fired a little over 3 weeks ago! They are here everyday, including posting on this thread and they are waiting for the next loss so they can bash BK again. They will be bashing BK if he doesn't make the finals of the SECT. And they will be bashing him if he doesn't make the S16. And they give any credit for our wins to the players and Stansbury.

I see their posts and it doesn't matter which board they post on, if it's about Texas A&M then 2/3rds of the time their post will be negative. Hard to believe that they really are A&M fans.
txag72
AG
quote:
Quote:
quote:
Quote:
quote:
Quote:
This whole article is about history...
It's primarily a history of and a middle finger to Texag bangers. They've given their opinions ad nauseam. Now, you can dish out criticism for your opinions, but you can't take it. Why don't you just say, OK, we waited too long in my opinion, this was a great year and the result of BK's hirings, recruits and coaching, but I still question the long term success of the program under BK. That would be a civil response, but civil responses are few and far between here. The article is a taste of some's own medicine.
Tango Mike
quote:
Why don't you just say, OK, we waited too long in my opinion, this was a great year and the result of BK's hirings, recruits and coaching, but I still question the long term success of the program under BK.
Bruh, that's exactly what people have been saying
bobinator
AG
quote:
quote:
Why don't you just say, OK, we waited too long in my opinion, this was a great year and the result of BK's hirings, recruits and coaching, but I still question the long term success of the program under BK.
Yeah... didn't we all say that?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
It's like he doesn't have time for reality. He has an opinion and he's going to share it, no matter what the facts say.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.