Story Poster
Buzz Williams
Diarra & Radford
Texas A&M Basketball

Williams not concerned by close call with A&M-Kingsville in exhibition

November 1, 2021

Technically, Texas A&M’s basketball game against Texas A&M-Kingsville was an exhibition.

It was also an experiment as coach Buzz Williams mixed, matched and substituted liberally in a 76-72 victory.

Newcomers Marcus Williams and Tyrece Radford and second-year veteran Hassan Diarra all netted 13 points to lead the Aggies.

“I’m glad new faces are around,” Diarra said. “I feel like we’re a really good team. We have to clean up a few things, definitely, but the new faces are great. Ty, Marcus, a bunch of other guys are ready for this spotlight. I think they’re really good.”

“The same things that bothered us last Saturday are the same things that bothered us tonight. So I think it was reinforcement for what we need to practice and why we need to practice.”
- A&M head coach Buzz Williams

Kingsville, which was 15-3 in the Division-II Lone Star Conference last season, was led by Bryan High School alum Tre Flowers with 17 points.

The Reed Arena crowd might have been disappointed or even alarmed by the close outcome that wasn’t decided until the Aggies scored seven consecutive points in the final minutes.

But Williams wasn’t surprised, nor was he concerned.

“I was hoping it would be this game,” Buzz Williams said. “Because I think we kind of know where our deficiencies are regardless of who we play. We had a scrimmage (against Baylor) last Saturday. The same things that bothered us last Saturday are the same things that bothered us tonight.

“So I think it was reinforcement for what we need to practice and why we need to practice.”

That means the Aggies must brush up on stopping middle drives and cleaning up faulty rotations, which kept them from getting inside position for rebounds.

They also need — you may have seen this before — to reduce turnovers and improve perimeter shooting and perimeter defense.

Overall, though, the Aggies came away with positive vibes. Their roster was almost completely overhauled in the offseason.

Conversely, Kingsville returned almost its entire roster.

“They have a lot of good returning players,” Buzz Williams said. “What we’re trying to accomplish offensively and defensively is completely different than last year.”

While trying to get their bearings, the Aggies never could shake the stubborn Javelinas.

A&M took a 43-40 halftime lead when Radford drained a 3-pointer just before the buzzer.

The Aggies got out to a 50-43 lead early in the second half but could never extend the margin beyond seven points.

TexAgs
Radford, a transfer from Virginia Tech, scored 13 points in Monday’s exhibition.

Kingsville stayed right on the Aggies’ heels and pulled even at 69 on Waco product Xavier Armstead’s layup with 2:37 to play.

Marcus Williams answered with a 3-pointer — his third — and Quenton Jackson followed with four free throws to give A&M a 76-69 cushion with 1:18 left.

Kingsville’s Sammy Brooks added a late 3-pointer to complete the scoring.

Kingsville coach Johnny Estelle said the advantage in experience allowed the Javelinas to stay in contention.

“We had a good year (last season). We enjoyed some success. We have more games under our belts,” Estelle said. “But I wouldn’t want to play (Buzz Williams) in three weeks.

“I know they will adhere to his scheme. They’re playing for each other. His teams, like mine, always get better.”

Discussion from...

Williams not concerned by close call with A&M-Kingsville in exhibition

4,756 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rongagin71
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like the defense needs work.
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kingsville's Coach Estelle was polite and I hope accurate at the end of this article.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.