Story Poster
Texas A&M Basketball

Buzz Williams named Coach of the Year by the Southeastern Conference

March 6, 2023

Buzz Williams has mastered the art of the midseason turnaround.

Given the magnitude of Texas A&M basketball’s improbable surge since January, Williams was selected as Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year on Monday afternoon as voted on by the league’s coaches.

Williams shares the honors with Vanderbilt’s Jerry Stackhouse, who led the Commodores to an 11-7 conference record.

In 2019-20, the AP awarded Williams the same title for leading the Aggies to a sixth-place finish in his inaugural campaign in College Station. This is the first time Williams has been named coach of the year by his peers.

Originally picked again to finish sixth in the SEC preseason polls, that expectation may have even seemed too high not too long ago.

A stunning 67-62 to loss Wofford at Reed Arena in December slumped A&M to 6-5 as conference play peered over their shoulder.

In the words of Williams, they were “left for dead” at that point.

With the season’s trajectory hanging in the balance, the Aggies responded similarly to how they countered an eight-game skid in 2022 by pulling yet another 180.

Actually, more like a full 360.

They strung together seven consecutive wins for a program-best 12-2 start to SEC play. By defeating No. 2 Alabama for their highest-ranked win in history, Williams accomplished what no other A&M basketball coach has done in a century — record 15 conference wins. 

“We don’t have the best players. We don’t have the best coaches. I’m not the best coach, but we have the best team. We have the best staff,” he said after defeating the Tide. “Everyone is very aware of what they’re good and not good at. They help each other with their strengths and weaknesses.

“The character of the team is reflected by the way this team has been playing. It’s all built on love. I’m thankful to be able to get to be a part of the energy and cohesiveness of this team.”

That palpable chemistry wasn’t synthesized overnight.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Before becoming A&M head coach in 2019, Williams was previously an assistant from 2004-06. 

Williams has long promoted a team culture that helped the Aggies coalesce into something bigger than they would have ever imagined.

He invented mantras like #getBETTER. He bought suits for the team and different warmup shirts with quotes of his. He gave nicknames to every player. He built a team language that uses words such as “turkeys” to describe three straight defensive stops and “socks” for drawing charges.

Most importantly, Williams stayed true to his philosophy of developing blue-collar-minded players whose impacts cannot be accurately assessed by traditional metrics. 

Wade Taylor IV emerged as one of the nation’s best scorers, with Tyrece Radford providing sufficient support along the way. Transfers Dexter Dennis, Julius Marble II and Andersson Garcia proved reliable, especially in clutch situations. 

"They just don't flinch,” Williams said of his team following a 62-56 victory over Arkansas in February. “They are very accepting of who they are, who we are, what we have to do, why we have to do it. Very low ego. Great humility. Incredible togetherness. They play with the right kind of chip, with zero selfishness.

“So many things have to transpire when you start 6-5. None of it is possible without the elite character of all of the people in the program."

Through their turbulent but miraculous flight to second place in the SEC standings, A&M also assembled an elite list of accomplishments.

Or as Williams would probably say, additions to their “culture wall.”

They cracked the Associated Press Top 25 for the first time under Williams in October. They snapped Auburn’s then-nation-leading 28-game home winning streak and secured season series sweeps over them, Florida, LSU and Missouri. The Aggies also avenged last year’s SEC Tournament finals loss to Tennessee with a resounding 68-63 upset win against the Volunteers two weeks ago

Williams transformed Reed Arena into an impenetrable fortress through a perfect 9-0 ledger against conference foes in College Station. That helped revive a buzz surrounding Aggie basketball that had been otherwise lost for many years. For the first time since 2009-10, A&M closed the regular season with seven straight home crowds of 10,000 or more.

This time around, Williams left no room for doubt for the NCAA selection committee.

He doesn’t need to pore over advanced analytics or plea with anyone.

The Maroon & White are almost assuredly bound for its first NCAA Tournament appearance in five years.

Aside from the obvious, the only thing A&M’s “body of work” proves this year is that Williams is one of the best coaches in the country.

Discussion from...

Buzz Williams named Coach of the Year by the Southeastern Conference

16,217 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tuco Ramirez - 80
Gilligan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congratulations Buzz and team! Great Job!
TAM85
Well earned!!
cs69ag
AG
Excellent write up! Congrats Buzz!! 2x in 4 yrs. is outstanding!
jeremy
AG
Whoop!!
Charlie 31
AG
Congratulations, Coach Williams!!!!!
rondis23
AG
Had already started my reply praising OB for yet again another solid write up. Decided to check last minute, and apparently Mr. Hernandez is worthy of OB like praise! Great job!
agent-maroon
AG
Well deserved! Congratulations Coach Williams!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aeon-ag
Congratulations, Coach Williams!

Now, will Athletic Department do as they do in football?! You should be given a contract extension and a large raise!! $$$$$$$$
agwin12
AG
Well deserved!!
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
Jangleleg
Well deserved.
The Collective
AG
Ha. Looks like we can get some votes, Coach!
cs69ag
AG
I have heard Buzz was given a contract extension last year after the NIT run.
I also heard some complaints re the extension after we were 6-5 with loss to Wofford.
Obviously those complaints are no longer to be found or remembered.
hawkster101
Congratulations Coach Williams on a job well done. Keep it going.
So much for Mr Bradley's and Slay's picks for COY.
sharpdressedman
Heartiest congratulations to Coach Williams!
SECTAMU#1
Well deserved Coach Williams! Great job righting the ship in December and setting a new conference record for wins this year. Buzz is a great leader for this team and also for this school.

Congratulations!!
Muy
AG
Awesome, well-deserved awards!!!
Muy
AG
cs69ag said:

I have heard Buzz was given a contract extension last year after the NIT run.
I also heard some complaints re the extension after we were 6-5 with loss to Wofford.
Obviously those complaints are no longer to be found or remembered.

Thankfully, and as someone who was very concerned if he was the right man for the job after that loss, I will gladly take my crow pie with a side of medicine.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Congrats, Coach!
Stone44
AG
If they gave it to anyone else, it would have been a travesty.
Quantum Entanglement
The engineer in me has a hard time not pointing out that doing a full 360 is going back to exactly the spot you were. Buzz did a 180 thankfully.
rdougherty
AG
Congrats for being Coach of the year in the SEC!!!
citizenkane06
AggieTFA06
AG
Really happy for Buzz
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
sleepybeagle
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Congratulations on winning the Coach of the Year!
Townend87
AG
AG
Quote:

The Maroon & White are almost assuredly bound for its first NCAA Tournament appearance in five years.

I think you can get rid of the word 'almost' at this point

CONGRATS COACH!
insulator_king
AG
Quantum Entanglement said:

The engineer in me has a hard time not pointing out that doing a full 360 is going back to exactly the spot you were. Buzz did a 180 thankfully.
Alright, how about a 540?
agnatgas
AG
Good bull. This post holiday run has been quite impressive.
heynowtom
too bad he had to share it because of ther woke mentality of diversity. such BS
Z Team
AG
Jerry Stackhouse sharing the SEC COY honors with Buzz seems like an insult to me. He spanked him in the head to head and overall record.
Know Your Enemy
AG
heynowtom said:

too bad he had to share it because of ther woke mentality of diversity. such BS
Utter nonsense. Please go away.
Mordred
AG
Z Team said:

Jerry Stackhouse sharing the SEC COY honors with Buzz seems like an insult to me. He spanked him in the head to head and overall record.
COY isn't about the team with the best record or highest seeding, otherwise 'Bama's coach would have gotten it. Stack seems to have turned Vandy around going from 14th,13th,11th and now 4th in his fourth year with a LOT less resources and talent than the conference power houses have. If you win at Vandy you're always gonna be in consideration for COY unless the sport is baseball.

It's not a slight on Buzz.
Expert Analysis
AG
Mordred said:

Z Team said:

COY isn't about the team with the best record or highest seeding, otherwise 'Bama's coach would have gotten it. Stack seems to have turned Vandy around going from 14th,13th,11th and now 4th in his fourth year with a LOT less resources and talent than the conference power houses have. If you win at Vandy you're always gonna be in consideration for COY unless the sport is baseball.

It's not a slight on Buzz.

Also, we didn't spank Vandy we beat them by a couple buckets and they were missing their best player…
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.