*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

62,064 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Rocagnante
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw it...

Loved:
- Sound / Effects were outstanding - the voice everytime it's used is so powerful
- Darth Paul "We must become Harkonnen"
- Cousin Feyd - he really nailed the voice, I assume they meant him to sound as much as possible like Baron Vlad... great job
- Rebecca talking to baby Alia as if she were in the room with her
- Stilgar's sense of humor

Didn't love but can see where its going and why DV made certain decisions:
- Chani walkoff; just didn't make sense for her character (in the books)
- Alia not being born in the movies, when in the books she was 2-4 years old when the emperor came.
- No Leto II mention? Or did I miss it?

The rest was really really good... will need to see it a lot more

I do wish they'd have spent more time showing the transition of Paul into the Kwisatz Haderach and exactly what that meant. Not only that he can see all possible outcomes and choose the narrow path; but also his prescience and fighting abilities (weirding way) and training his Fedaykin hordes in the weirding way.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Props to JLo & Affleck for actually picking up their trash/cleaning up after themselves. A couple of highly considerate, movie-going professionals...

StinkyPinky
AG
MBAR said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

After Part One, I was only slightly interested in it.

After Part Two, I can't wait to spend more time in this world, and for more world-building.

I just hope it involves some of the same below the line people, because the Production Design has been such an integral part of what made both of the movies so good.
I just feel its going to water down this experience, honestly. Dune is good because of DV. Firmly believe that anything he doens't direct is more than likely to be a downgrade.

I'm gonna watch them, at least at first, but I am expecting to be disappointed.

Me too. Worry it'll be quantity of quality to milk dollars. Will ultimately tire of it and negatively impact these master pieces (plenty examples of it with other movies).Sane criticism is often level at Brian Herbert and all of his books.
TCTTS
AG
Again, the series is set thousands of years before the movies. And while it does have a few familiar faces, it doesn't have any big stars or feature any characters from the movies. I think it'll obviously get some play, due to its name/association, but unless it's absolutely amazing, I just don't see it being something that distracts from the movies. It's nothing like, say, The Penguin, which is also due later this year on Max, and is an eight-hour limited series that literally connects the events of The Batman to The Batman Part II. It's no where near that crucial or connected, and chances are it probably won't still be airing but the time Dune Messiah hits theaters four or five years from now.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, it's nearly 4 AM, I'm up working late as I sometimes do (my favorite time to truly concentrate), listening to the Part Two soundtrack, and I have to say, the main theme that plays through…

01. Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times
05. A Time of Quiet Between the Storms
23. Kiss the Ring
24. Only I Will Remain

… is officially top three all-time Zimmer for me. It might even be number one. It's both incredibly epic writing music yet also perfect ambient chill music. Two vibes in one, which is rare, and overall captures the tone of the movie so damn well. It's Gladiator but on a whole other level, with even more feeling, and I cannot get enough of it.
Tonyperkis
AG
These are my favorite as well, plus "Worm Ride" to put me back in the theater when Paul takes his first ride
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

Btw, it's nearly 4 AM, I'm up working late as I sometimes do (my favorite time to truly concentrate), listening to the Part Two soundtrack, and I have to say, the main theme that plays through…

01. Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times
05. A Time of Quiet Between the Storms
23. Kiss the Ring
24. Only I Will Remain

… is officially top three all-time Zimmer for me. It might even be number one. It's both incredibly epic writing music yet also perfect ambient chill music. Two vibes in one, which is rare, and overall captures the tone of the movie so damn well. It's Gladiator but on a whole other level, with even more feeling, and I cannot get enough of it.

Only I Will Remain gets to the feels
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's been my work music this week.
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm trying not to listen to the soundtrack before I watch but y'all getting me hyped I'm a pretty big Zimmer guy.

I know Williams is GOAT but I prefer Zimmer.
wangus12
AG
That main theme is up there for me as well. It reminds me of one of the main scores from the Mass Effect video game series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Worm Ride and Worm Army get me amped as ****.
TCTTS
AG
So much better the second time around. Like a number of Villeneuve and Nolan movies, this one definitely takes a couple of viewings for its intentions to really become clear.

I've watched the first movie so many times that I think the pacing of it - the first half, especially - set me up to expect more of the same, back-and-forth planet hopping. But this time, knowing the first hour or so is almost exclusively with Paul & co on Arrakis, I was better able to see why Villeneuve made the decisions he did. It plays almost like its own mini-movie, in Lawrence of Arabia-like fashion, and everything needs to unfold exactly the way it does before the rest of the story can actually begin. Seeing as events are essentially waiting for Paul to rise in the ranks, strike fear in the Harkonnens, and disrupt their spice production so much so that the Baron needs to enlist Feyd (at which point the movie finally kicks into another gear).

Everyone's motivations were much clearer this go around as well. There's still something a just a bit too rushed in Paul saying he can't go south to suddenly needing to go south, but I at least understood the motivations and mechanics of the decision better, why he was essentially forced, etc. It all checks out, I just wish we had, like, even three more minutes of deliberation there.

My one question this go-around is, once Paul is in the south, why do Chani's tears bring him back to life? I get that she's part of the prophecy, and the prophecy says as much, but what's the "science" behind it? Why is it her tears, specifically, dipped in the Water of Life, that Paul needs? Why not anyone's tears? Why tears at all?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C4KCrHarANG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Finally saw it yesterday. IMAX screening. And that...may have been the most memorable movie-going experience I've had since Fury Road. Top 3 experience for sure of the past 15 years. Holy *****
YNWA_AG
AG
It had to with her name, desert spring.

TCTTS
AG
Yes, I realize that. Like I said, I understand that she and her name are part of the prophecy. But those are just words in a story a name people call her. I'm asking what the "science" is behind it. As in, why do tears dipped in the very goo that put him in a coma magically bring him back to life? And why her tears, specifically?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

So much better the second time around. Like a number of Villeneuve and Nolan movies, this one definitely takes a couple of viewings for its intentions to really become clear.

I've watched the first movie so many times that I think the pacing of it - the first half, especially - set me up to expect more of the same, back-and-forth planet hopping. But this time, knowing the first hour or so is almost exclusively with Paul & co on Arrakis, I was better able to see why Villeneuve made the decisions he did. It plays almost like its own mini-movie, in Lawrence of Arabia-like fashion, and everything needs to unfold exactly the way it does before the rest of the story can actually begin. Seeing as events are essentially waiting for Paul to rise in the ranks, strike fear in the Harkonnens, and disrupt their spice production so much so that the Baron needs to enlist Feyd (at which point the movie finally kicks into another gear).

Everyone's motivations were much clearer this go around as well. There's still something a just a bit too rushed in Paul saying he can't go south to suddenly needing to go south, but I at least understood the motivations and mechanics of the decision better, why he was essentially forced, etc. It all checks out, I just wish we had, like, even three more minutes of deliberation there.

My one question this go-around is, once Paul is in the south, why do Chani's tears bring him back to life? I get that she's part of the prophecy, and the prophecy says as much, but what's the "science" behind it? Why is it her tears, specifically, dipped in the Water of Life, that Paul needs? Why not anyone's tears? Why tears at all?

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, Paul's reasoning for taking the WOL, the part about Chani being part of the prophecy, and how he is revived is altered from the source material. Honestly Chani is mostly just a plot device in book 1.
Claude!
Definitely Not A Cop said:

TCTTS said:

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, Paul's reasoning for taking the WOL, the part about Chani being part of the prophecy, and how he is revived is altered from the source material. Honestly Chani is mostly just a plot device in book 1.
Yeah, I don't recall anything about Chani really having much to do with Paul's recovery after taking the Water of Life. No prophecy, no magic tears. Best guess is that the only science behind it is that of Plot Device.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I just found the chapter again. Spoiler tagging for anyone not interested in book discussion:

Paul knows he needs to take the water of life because he is becoming tolerant to spice and his visions of the future are dimming. It's a poison that only the Bene Gesserit can convert to the psychotropic substance that gives them their powers. He takes a drop then falls into a coma for three weeks, I think he is seeing all the past and all the possible futures. Chani is there when he wakes up, but all she does is gets Jessica to convert more of the poison into the WOL, and then she waves it in front of his nose. He wakes up from that and thinks he had just fallen asleep for a second.
Quad Dog
AG
This isn't something from the books, because it happens a little differently in the books, but this was my thought. Bene Gesserit have complete control over their bodies and it gives them many of the "super" powers we see in books and movies: the voice, superior fighting skills, seduction techniques, ability to control time and sex of pregnancy, and the ability to convert poison into non poison. (By the way, I remembered that the way Margot Fenring sounded using the voice sounded differently than everyone else using the voice, which shows that some BG are better/differently trained than others in some aspects) Paul had some training in BG techniques, but wasn't fully trained. He was able to convert some of the poison into The way of Life in his body and therefore gain some new powers and insight. Chani giving him a diluted and smaller version of the poison helped him convert it and the rest with those new powers. Her doing it and her name is complete coincidence. A prophecy like "tears from desert spring will awaken the savior" was created centuries ago to be generic and self fulfilling. "Tears from desert spring" could have applied to Jessica's tears since she is in the desert, but comes from a water planet. A few drops of water from one of the Fremen qanats would fulfill that prophecy. "Tears from a desert spring" could apply to the time of year, season, or location. Maybe Desert Spring is a super popular name because of the prophecy, so many Fremen could have done that.
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

Yes, I realize that. Like I said, I understand that she and her name are part of the prophecy. But those are just words in a story a name people call her. I'm asking what the "science" is behind it. As in, why do tears dipped in the very goo that put him in a coma magically bring him back to life? And why her tears, specifically?
I think you are getting to deep here. What's the science behind blue giant worm blood/piss that grants certain individuals omniscience? it's science fiction. The prophecy is established and, as Stilgar says, "As it is written".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Dune was one of many influences for Star Wars.

Check out my earlier post about all the media that took from it. (Star Wars, Matrix, Avatar, Game of Thrones)
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

This is unknown. Also a deviation from the book. Probably for dramatic effect left up to the viewer to determine.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

This isn't something from the books, because it happens a little differently in the books, but this was my thought. Bene Gesserit have complete control over their bodies and it gives them many of the "super" powers we see in books and movies: the voice, superior fighting skills, seduction techniques, ability to control time and sex of pregnancy, and the ability to convert poison into non poison. (By the way, I remembered that the way Margot Fenring sounded using the voice sounded differently than everyone else using the voice, which shows that some BG are better/differently trained than others in some aspects) Paul had some training in BG techniques, but wasn't fully trained. He was able to convert some of the poison into The way of Life in his body and therefore gain some new powers and insight. Chani giving him a diluted and smaller version of the poison helped him convert it and the rest with those new powers. Her doing it and her name is complete coincidence. A prophecy like "tears from desert spring will awaken the savior" was created centuries ago to be generic and self fulfilling. "Tears from desert spring" could have applied to Jessica's tears since she is in the desert, but comes from a water planet. A few drops of water from one of the Fremen qanats would fulfill that prophecy. "Tears from a desert spring" could apply to the time of year, season, or location. Maybe Desert Spring is a super popular name because of the prophecy, so many Fremen could have done that.

This really helps, thanks. In short, Chani herself basically had next to nothing to do with it and instead, Paul simply needed a diluted micro dose of the poison to convert the rest of it/jolt him back. That makes sense.
TCTTS
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

I think you are getting to deep here. What's the science behind blue giant worm blood/piss that grants certain individuals omniscience? it's science fiction. The prophecy is established and, as Stilgar says, "As it is written".

It matters to the degree that, as presented in the movie, the implication is that Chani, specifically, has some kind of special DNA or that, say, female Freman tears cary some kind of special elixir. "Science" was the wrong word - I of course realize it's all sci-fi gobbledegook nonsense - rather, I was trying to understand whether or not Chani too was "special" on some kind of biological level. Turns out she's not.
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SIAP

https://instagr.am/p/C4FNCfCO_s2
hunter2012
AG

SIAP

"2 tickets to Barbie please..."
SpreadsheetAg
AG

SIAP

That is awesome
Quad Dog
AG
Glad it helps because I made up the back half. But yes, as far as we know in books and movies there is nothing special about Chani biologically. Although in the books she is Liet-Kynes', the imperial ecologists, daughter. That character was gender swapped in the movie and connection to Chani lost. So in the books Chani is half Fremen, half off-worlder, but it's not discussed as a benefit or drawback that I remember.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.