Worship Music (Modern and Hymns)

4,596 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by TheCurl84
Hey...so.. um
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lathspell said:

I hate modern worship music so much. I'm only 37, but I love the old school hymns so much more than modern worship music, which just sounds like repetitive pop, to me.

I don't understand this. You hate music that lifts up God and helps point people to Jesus? How did 18 people star this. I can understand someone saying it isn't for them or they prefer another kind of music but to say you hate it sounds odd to me. I love any music that points people toward a life of following Christ.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Perhaps it should have been a bit more specific. Plenty of modern hymns and songs I love.

What I hate are some of the mega labels that are basically a Trojan horse into some of the churches that exhibit false teaching and/or questionable church leaders. These mega labels generate millions of dollars that end up just feeding the false messages they are spouting off. And then you have endless artists that are in bed with these big 3 which only aid them in the end. Lots of money and exploitation in this soace. (Hillsong, Bethel, Elevation)

I have plenty of friends that love God and still love these bands. We'll just agree to disagree, so not looking to debate this.
Hey...so.. um
10andBOUNCE said:

Perhaps it should have been a bit more specific. Plenty of modern hymns and songs I love.

What I hate are some of the mega labels that are basically a Trojan horse into some of the churches that exhibit false teaching and/or questionable church leaders. These mega labels generate millions of dollars that end up just feeding the false messages they are spouting off. And then you have endless artists that are in bed with these big 3 which only aid them in the end. Lots of money and exploitation in this soace. (Hillsong, Bethel, Elevation)

I have plenty of friends that love God and still love these bands. We'll just agree to disagree, so not looking to debate this.

Fair take. I guess I just look at the positive that can and has come from many of the new worship/Christian artists rather than any negatives that have come from them. They are all human so undoubtedly there can be some greed, deception and pride that creeps in.

I just wish we could all focus on what we have in common as Christians and quit fighting about what we disagree about.

I'm cool with someone not liking this type of music, but saying you "hate" it is divisive language within the church.
ETX14.16
AG
Great posts here - really enjoyed listening to many of these. Especially the recommendation of The Gray Havens, that will get a lot of play time on my Spotify.

I've been frequenting Phil Wickham's acoustic album Hymn of Heaven recently - this one in particular:

10andBOUNCE
AG
I honestly really like some of Wickham's music and think he is an incredibly talented artist, but once he started working projects with Bethel and Hillsong I tapped out, personally.
ETX14.16
AG
Well, seems I was ignorant to that. Too much to keep up with! Can't say I regularly listen to anything else of his…just something about that acoustic album.
Hey...so.. um
10andBOUNCE said:

I honestly really like some of Wickham's music and think he is an incredibly talented artist, but once he started working projects with Bethel and Hillsong I tapped out, personally.

Why is the focus on the messenger and not the message? Specifically the songs and lyrics. I don't listen to the sermons from either of those churches so I don't have an opinion of that side.

Edit : I don't really listen to either of those worship groups that much but I do like some of their songs. I do listen to Elevation and Maverick City Music though. Am I safe to assume you lump those groups in with the two you mention?
10andBOUNCE
AG
These churches are all being fed and developed by their music and have largely experienced success because of it. Both with the monies they bring in and the following they create. Perhaps you may not be influenced to listen to Bill Johnson or Brian Houston speak on Sunday morning, but there are plenty who are. Plenty who buy their books due to the notoriety from what the music world created for them. I believe these churches are preaching, at the very least, a watered down gospel, but more than likely a borderline false gospel.

I was completely oblivious to all of this even just a few years ago when I'd be jamming out to Elevation in the car. But I had others shed some light on the situation, and I believe it's my duty to not participate.

Likely it is a non issue for most Christians, but I am just sharing what I have come to believe.
Frok
AG
I know they are part of the questionable group but the song Praise by Elevation is super catchy. My kids love it.

dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

These churches are all being fed and developed by their music and have largely experienced success because of it. Both with the monies they bring in and the following they create. Perhaps you may not be influenced to listen to Bill Johnson or Brian Houston speak on Sunday morning, but there are plenty who are. Plenty who buy their books due to the notoriety from what the music world created for them. I believe these churches are preaching, at the very least, a watered down gospel, but more than likely a borderline false gospel.

I was completely oblivious to all of this even just a few years ago when I'd be jamming out to Elevation in the car. But I had others shed some light on the situation, and I believe it's my duty to not participate.

Likely it is a non issue for most Christians, but I am just sharing what I have come to believe.
Not meaning to derail the thread, but what is a watered down or borderline false Gospel? I hear this only from reformed and am truly curious what they know that we do not.

The Gospel is we are sinners due to original sin, Jesus, God Incarnate, was born of a virgin. Was crucified for our sins, arose on the third day, and sits at the right hand of God. And one day He will return and we will be bodily resurrected. If we have faith by grace in Him as our Savior, then we will spend eternity in His presence and enjoy a perfect new world.

Do they not preach that?

Sounds like you are a Lordship Salvation guy and are adding works. Which to me is a borderline false gospel. But maybe I am reading you wrong.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
88Warrior
One guy's opinion….I prefer the traditional hymns over contemporary worship music. I find great peace with the hymns…I get that a lot of folks love the contemporary stuff but I find it extremely distracting…Luckily our church offers a traditional service and a contemporary one to appease folks…
dermdoc
AG
88Warrior said:

One guy's opinion….I prefer the traditional hymns over contemporary worship music. I find great peace with the hymns…I get that a lot of folks love the contemporary stuff but I find it extremely distracting…Luckily our church offers a traditional service and a contemporary one to appease folks…

Agree. But I am coming around on the praise music.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And I thought this was relevant to the topic and my earlier post. Seems like people are looking for things to get offended about.
https://www.samstorms.org/enjoying-god-blog/post/a-defense-of-singing-songs-from-bethel-and-hillsong
10andBOUNCE
AG
You don't have to search very hard to find some really questionable things when it comes to Hillsong and Bethel. I leave you to your googling skills to satisfy that.

Furtick at Elevation is scary to me.

Regarding Lordship salvation, it is by faith alone I have been justified. After that, there needs to be fruit to confirm your faith as you walk the Christian life. If Jesus isn't your Lord, your faith claim may very likely be false.

And also don't want to diverge too much here and let this be a resource for spiritual songs and hymns. I honestly shouldn't have even brought it up, so I apologize. Happy to take it someplace else though.
UTExan
Ukrainian National Choir singing
"Precious Lord, Take My Hand"
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

You don't have to search very hard to find some really questionable things when it comes to Hillsong and Bethel. I leave you to your googling skills to satisfy that.

Furtick at Elevation is scary to me.

Regarding Lordship salvation, it is by faith alone I have been justified. After that, there needs to be fruit to confirm your faith as you walk the Christian life. If Jesus isn't your Lord, your faith claim may very likely be false.

And also don't want to diverge too much here and let this be a resource for spiritual songs and hymns. I honestly shouldn't have even brought it up, so I apologize. Happy to take it someplace else though.
Thanks for taking the high road.

Edited to I disagree with some of your theology but respect you. And I know we both love the Lord.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I recently stumbled upon this artist since I have been really getting into the Psalms put into music. She has them all done I believe. Little bit of a change up from my normal style.

10andBOUNCE
AG
Brian Suave has been taking up more of my playlist lately with his music from Psalms

Hey...so.. um
I'm a big fan of Brandon Lake for two reasons, one is I like his style of music, part rap/part rock/part pop. I grew up on this kind of music. I get pumped up when I listen. Second a d more importantly, I love the lyrics. Here is one I have been meditating on recently and letting it fill my cup.

In "Tear off the roof" he is talking about the power of Jesus and he says, "He has more in the hem of his garment, than the camp of the enemy." So good and references a story from the Bible.

I appreciate all the takes here, I just wanted to share why I like modern Christian music.
TheCurl84
AG
Anyone here old enough to remember the Stamps-Baxter Music company? How about the Stamps Quartet?

I had a neighbor for a long while, close friends for a couple decades, who told me one day that his grandfather and the brothers of his grandfather were part of a gospel quartet a very long time ago. I was very familiar with them, and ashamed I had never made the association. My friend's last name is Stamps.

Well I began telling him how my faith tribe had worn out the music published by the Stamps-Baxter company back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Songs published by them were among the most popular songs, sung acapella, in the churches of Christ.

To my shock, he had never heard a single one. So I invited him to a Sunday night praise service and asked our worship leader to work in some of the S-B classics. My friend and his wife were very touched and found the songs to be beautiful.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.