Refusing aid to migrants is a "grave sin" - Pope Francis

7,189 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Rongagin71
Catag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sure breaking the law is some level of sin too.
Perhaps the pontiff should recognize that welcoming LEGAL immigration while rejecting ILLEGAL immigration is NOT sinful.

But he won't because he personally had an agenda apparently. Perhaps he should consider more mirror time.
Sapper Redux
A huge number of refugees don't exactly have the ability to know or obey every nicety of the regulations. I would think the Catholic Church would be less concerned with state bureaucracy over people's lives and safety.
Quo Vadis?
Legal immigration is just as harmful as illegal immigration. The Haitians in Ohio are there legally. We don't need to be bringing people into the country. Whether from Norway or Haiti. We have no clue who we actually have in the country right now. We need to chill out for ten years and let everything settle.
Catag94
AG
Sapper Redux said:

A huge number of refugees don't exactly have the ability to know or obey every nicety of the regulations. I would think the Catholic Church would be less concerned with state bureaucracy over people's lives and safety.

You mean the ones who passed through multiple countries to illegally enter this one?

You think we can't find people to explain our laws for immigration?

Let's get back to the point. The Pope is doing what he does best, being a political activist from one of the most influential platforms known.
Rongagin71
AG
This sort of legal immigration where the U.S. taxpayers pay to fly in vast numbers of a type of immigrant who is unlikely to assimilate and would have been very unlikely to get into the U.S. under the old rules, started with Obama and I believe the first group was about 100,000 Syrians per year. It was a mistake then and is a mistake now because it is too expensive, and as these groups reach large enough voting blocks, it is going to get more expensive. It also destroys patriotism and willingness to fight for the country.
Rongagin71
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

barbacoa taco said:

. JD Vance is causing terroristic threats to happen in his own state due to his own racist fearmongering.

Good grief. Get a grip.

Bomb threats forcing elementary schools to close aren't terroristic threats?
You know this is more usually a leftist tactic?
You have heard of "false flag operations"?
Or, to get to my point, has anyone actually been caught
calling in bomb threats or are you just assuming you know who?
Sapper Redux
Rongagin71 said:

Sapper Redux said:

AggieRain said:

barbacoa taco said:

. JD Vance is causing terroristic threats to happen in his own state due to his own racist fearmongering.

Good grief. Get a grip.

Bomb threats forcing elementary schools to close aren't terroristic threats?
You know this is more usually a leftist tactic?
You have heard of "false flag operations"?
Or, to get to my point, has anyone actually been caught
calling in bomb threats or are you just assuming you know who?

Is it? You have statistical evidence of this? Not anecdotes where it happened, but actual data? And it's funny how you jump on completely unsubstantiated claims of Haitian migrants eating cats but want to hold judgement when the city government of Springfield says they received bomb threats.
Sapper Redux
Quo Vadis? said:

Legal immigration is just as harmful as illegal immigration. The Haitians in Ohio are there legally. We don't need to be bringing people into the country. Whether from Norway or Haiti. We have no clue who we actually have in the country right now. We need to chill out for ten years and let everything settle.

Same claims made to justify keeping out every group that has migrated in American history. The only consistency has been prejudice against the migrants.
Quo Vadis?
Sapper Redux said:

Quo Vadis? said:

Same claims made to justify keeping out every group that has migrated in American history. The only consistency has been prejudice against the migrants.

Well at least we've moved you from "you're racist" to "you're nativist"
Sapper Redux
Quo Vadis? said:

Sapper Redux said:

Quo Vadis? said:

Xenophobic is the more accurate term, but also I'm not ignoring the blatant racism in the specific attacks made against Haitians.
AggieRain
AG
Xenophobic, like it's siblings homo and trans, are imprecise terms used to demonize and dehumanize your opponents. You casually throw them around without merit in an attempt to win an argument without a fight. They only expose you as disingenuous.
Quo Vadis?
https://christopherrufo.com/p/the-cat-eaters-of-ohio

So yes, they're eating cats. With video evidence, in Ohio.
Quo Vadis?
Sapper Redux said:

Quo Vadis? said:

Sapper Redux said:

Quo Vadis? said:

Xenophobic is the more accurate term, but also I'm not ignoring the blatant racism in the specific attacks made against Haitians.

It is possible to not like something without it rising to the level of phobia. I am perfectly fine around spiders, yet I do not like them. If a bunch of spiders tried to move into my house, I would do my damndest to kill them; yet I am not an arachnophobe.

The leftist desire to name natural reactions to things as a "phobia" is pure leftist propaganda straight out of the Alinsky playbook.
nortex97
AG
"Homophobia" is my personal favorite leftist trope. As though millions are terrified/scared of gays.

The race card shows much more about the character of the accuser than anything else, imho, 99.9 percent of the time. Notice Kamala has never apologized/retracted her comments on the Jussie Smollett hoax. Oh btw, Karl Marx himself was a huge bigot, to boot.

Being opposed to flying in hundreds of thousands of Haitians with a blanket "you can stay" protected status that goes on indefinitely/forever is not a position taken out of fear, but common sense, and love of my fellow Americans, and animals alike.

The first ten minutes or so of Mike Baker's latest show is excellent detailing the causes/problems of the Haitian 'migrant' crisis;
Rongagin71
AG
The facts and figures start about the three-minute mark and are damning.
Sapper Redux
Quote:

"Homophobia" is my personal favorite leftist trope. As though millions are terrified/scared of gays.
This is as stupid as an Arab saying they aren't antisemitic because they are also Semites. The literal definition of a word does not always connote the specifics of its usage. Homophobia is referring to hatred and/or fear of gay people.
Sapper Redux
Quo Vadis? said:

https://christopherrufo.com/p/the-cat-eaters-of-ohio

So yes, they're eating cats. With video evidence, in Ohio.
Is that really the best he's got? No proof it's cats in a different city with "African migrants." And the video is a year old. Truly pathetic.
Rongagin71
AG
barbacoa taco
AG
AggieRain said:

Xenophobic, like it's siblings homo and trans, are imprecise terms used to demonize and dehumanize your opponents. You casually throw them around without merit in an attempt to win an argument without a fight. They only expose you as disingenuous.
or, you've become so desensitized to racism and xenophobia that you think literally nothing qualifies as either anymore, despite them staring you right in the face
barbacoa taco
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

well, there it is. at least you're being honest about how you just plain ol' hate immigrants.
Quo Vadis?
barbacoa taco said:

AggieRain said:

or, you've become so desensitized to racism and xenophobia that you think literally nothing qualifies as either anymore, despite them staring you right in the face

Do you think anyone is irrationally scared of foreigners or people of different race? If you put me in a room with Thomas Sowell or Terry Crewes do you think I would have a nervous breakdown or start sobbing?

barbacoa taco
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

barbacoa taco said:

AggieRain said:

Do you think anyone is irrationally scared of foreigners or people of different race? If you put me in a room with Thomas Sowell or Terry Crewes do you think I would have a nervous breakdown or start sobbing?

Yes. that's kinda the point. JD Vance and others didn't just make up the eating cats claim for no reason.
Quo Vadis?
barbacoa taco said:

Quo Vadis? said:

barbacoa taco said:

AggieRain said:

Yes. that's kinda the point. JD Vance and others didn't just make up the eating cats claim for no reason.

You're insane. How is it do you think we manage to life in a society with multiple races without having a complete meltdown on an hourly basis.
Sapper Redux
Quo Vadis? said:

barbacoa taco said:

Quo Vadis? said:

barbacoa taco said:

AggieRain said:

You're insane. How is it do you think we manage to life in a society with multiple races without having a complete meltdown on an hourly basis.

Power dynamics.
barbacoa taco
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

barbacoa taco said:

Quo Vadis? said:

barbacoa taco said:

AggieRain said:

I don't think that. The GOP nominee for president has capitalized on xenophobia for 3 straight election cycles and it's worked. And because Trump and Vance continue to spread racist lies about Haitians, those immigrants are now fearful for their well being and society in Springfield can hardly function.

I know you think this is all some stupid joke and I'm comparing everyone to Hitler, but this kind of rhetoric really is dangerous.
Catag94
AG
Who made the threats?
What was the nature of the threats?
If threats came from illegals, doesn't this support what the HOP candidates are saying is a problem?

Seems like the threats are the problem and to draw the conclusion that they were caused by Trump Vance bringing to light what many are saying is happening, more so that to suggest the rhetoric from the left has caused it biased.
barbacoa taco
AG
you're blaming the left for this???
Catag94
AG
barbacoa taco said:

you're blaming the left for this???

No. Clearly, I'm blaming those who made the threats. I see no reason to give them excuses.

ETA: I definitely blame the left for the millions of illegal immigrants flowing into this country for the last 3.5 years.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

From a purely economic perspective, you could not be more wrong. Restricting immigration will eventually turn the U.S. into a stagnant and declining country. Our fertility rates are dropping every year and we are now not replacing ourselves, with the average couple having less than two children.

Rongagin71
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

From a purely economic perspective, you could not be more wrong. Restricting immigration will eventually turn the U.S. into a stagnant and declining country. Our fertility rates are dropping every year and we are now not replacing ourselves, with the average couple having less than two children.

I don't suppose it has ever occurred to you that people paying high taxes often have fewer children than the people who get the taxes. Children are expensive if you are the one paying for them.

But enough of this anti-immigration hypocrisy.
Remember, we are all the descendants of immigrants who got free food, housing, medicine, and airfare to Ohio paid for by taxpayers.
Thank you for that observation from Perry Abbasi on X

Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

I don't suppose it has ever occurred to you that people paying high taxes often have fewer children than the people who get the taxes. Children are expensive if you are the one paying for them.

But enough of this anti-immigration hypocrisy.
Remember, we are all the descendants of immigrants who got free food, housing, medicine, and airfare to Ohio paid for by taxpayers.
Thank you for that observation from Perry Abbasi on X

I am not sure if there is such a proven correlation in economic literature. There are a lot of studies and they mostly contradict each other.

Nobel Prize Winner Gary Becker did research on the marginal cost of children and its impact on fertility rate and . . .not surprisingly . . . . .people have fewer kids if the kids are more expensive to raise and have little impact on overall household income. Back in the 1800s when life was mostly Agrarian, more kids meant more hands to help in the fields and improved crop yields, to babies made in large numbers.

A few places like Quebec had extremely high marginal rates but gave specific incentives for child rearing and the fertility rates perked up very quickly despite the high tax burden.

So that statement of yours has occurred to tons of people going back many decades who could not say with any certainty if the relationship is indeed a good one.

Rongagin71
AG
Yeah, I'm sure the main reason for the decline in the U.S. birth rate is the shift to an industrialized society but finding an industrialized society that does NOT collect much more in taxes form the top than the bottom of its society makes it a difficult subject to study.
RFK Jr has said that one reason he supports Trump is that he has been promised a research project into what sorts of unhealthy foods and lifestyles are negatively affecting Americans - one of those negative trends has been the decrease in sperm count.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure the main reason for the decline in the U.S. birth rate is the shift to an industrialized society but finding an industrialized society that does NOT collect much more in taxes form the top than the bottom of its society makes it a difficult subject to study.

RFK Jr has said that one reason he supports Trump is that he has been promised a research project into what sorts of unhealthy foods and lifestyles are negatively affecting Americans - one of those negative trends has been the decrease in sperm count.
The clear takeaway was that parents invest in the quality of their kids like no time in history - Education, Medicine, elective things like dental care, travel, etc etc etc

Kids have become so much more expensive in the last 50 years.

Quo Vadis?
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Perhaps if wages rose due to the lack of immigrant labor, we would be able to retransition to an society where a single income could meet a family's needs and mothers could stay at home and raise children.
Zobel
AG
Since certain feminist elements don't want women to have that choice - because too many will take it - the fact that our modern economic structure precludes it seems intentional. The purpose of a system is what it does…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.