Refusing aid to migrants is a "grave sin" - Pope Francis

7,195 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Rongagin71
Windy City Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Perhaps if wages rose due to the lack of immigrant labor, we would be able to retransition to an society where a single income could meet a family's needs and mothers could stay at home and raise children.
So you are arguing for wage inflation?

Mostly that makes people very angry.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Since certain feminist elements don't want women to have that choice - because too many will take it - the fact that our modern economic structure precludes it seems intentional. The purpose of a system is what it does…

Women want to work and that ship sailed 50 years ago. The Labor Force Participation Rate by Woman basically peaked in the mid 1990s and has actually dipped a bit since then.

Zobel
AG
Massive non sequitur.

"No woman should be authorized to stay home to raise her children. Women should not have that choice, because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one."
Simone de Beauvoir in 1976
Sapper Redux
Quo Vadis? said:

Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Legal immigration is just as harmful as illegal immigration. The Haitians in Ohio are there legally. We don't need to be bringing people into the country. Whether from Norway or Haiti. We have no clue who we actually have in the country right now. We need to chill out for ten years and let everything settle.
From a purely economic perspective, you could not be more wrong. Restricting immigration will eventually turn the U.S. into a stagnant and declining country. Our fertility rates are dropping every year and we are now not replacing ourselves, with the average couple having less than two children.

Perhaps if wages rose due to the lack of immigrant labor, we would be able to retransition to an society where a single income could meet a family's needs and mothers could stay at home and raise children.

That was a pipe dream of a moment that relied on an entire world save the United States decimated by war. Single income households for all but the upper classes were not a thing throughout human history.

You want to get rid of immigrants? Guess what, costs rise almost certainly faster than wages. Businesses close because they lack labor (why do you think Haitian immigrants came to Springfield to begin with). Companies that can afford it will continue to move production offshore.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

Massive non sequitur.

"No woman should be authorized to stay home to raise her children. Women should not have that choice, because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one."
Simone de Beauvoir in 1976

Are you arguing that's a common or popular opinion amongst feminists?
Rongagin71
AG
I think most non-religious women want to work, but a lot of
Christian and Moslem women would rather work for those
groups (and her family) than for a corporation.

BTW, regarding an earlier issue: Mike Benz On X -
"Curious the Ohio governor did not name the "overseas"
country responsible for 33 hoax bomb calls to Springfield"

nm
Zobel
AG
I believe my statements were pretty clear
Windy City Ag
AG
Cornell did a pretty well regarded study and concluded that:

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2022/03/women-want-work-despite-workforce-precarity

Quote:

In America, women are now just as likely as men to report working because they want to not because they must, according to the new study by Schnabel, the Robert and Ann Rosenthal Assistant Professor of sociology in the College of Arts and Sciences. Even among very religious Americans, where men still report wanting to work more than women, there's movement toward parity over time.

Overall, the gender gap in working for its own sake has consistently declined [and] is now virtually nonexistent," Schnabel wrote with co-authors Cyrus Schleifer (University of Oklahoma), Eman Abdelhadi (University of Chicago), and Samuel Perry (University of Oklahoma). However, "pockets of Americans, specifically the most religiously active Americans, continue to have more gender-polarized orientations toward their employment."

Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

I believe my statements were pretty clear

You have one quote and then took that to argue our current economic system is intentionally designed to force women to work. I'd love to see your evidence. I'm curious to see how it addresses the high rates of women's labor force participation across time.
Zobel
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_purpose_of_a_system_is_what_it_does
747Ag
AG
Zobel said:

Rongagin71
AG
Zobel said:

Read that def and to me, it sounded a lot like "do what works"
or one could even say it is an offshoot of the old Greek Scientific System.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

Okay. How does that tie to a claim that feminists want to make it impossible for women to stay at home? It also completely ignores historical context.
Zobel
AG
I think when someone tells you what they think, you should listen to them.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Okay. How does that tie to a claim that feminists want to make it impossible for women to stay at home? It also completely ignores historical context.

Feminism is compatible with women who do not work and say at home. Most of the second wave of feminism is pretty incomplete. There is enough heavy lifting to do in areas like the gender pay gap, the covering up of domestic abuse, and challenging gender roles.

Rongagin71
AG
I worked 40 yrs. In every job men& women with the same job title got paid the same.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...
https://texasscorecard.com/state/gov-abbott-declares-venezuelan-gang-tren-de-aragua-a-foreign-terrorist-organization/
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

I worked 40 yrs. In every job men& women with the same job title got paid the same.
Ahh . . the ever conclusive single, undocumented, personal data-point.

But you are correct, we are wandering rather far from the original topic.

I do love Greg Abbott. His office has no role at all is designating terror groups but he calls a press conference anyway. Thanks there, Greggy boy.

Rongagin71
AG
My experience included ten yrs working for the Texas Employment Comm during which time I contacted employers trying to get them to list job openings at TEC. TEC is now TWC.
This was back in the seventies when one of my duties was to tell employers to stop using "sexist" words like waiter/waitress and apply less definite titles such as staff.
I was also to investigate any cases of wage discrimination but this, in practice, always came down to whether the worker was properly listed as a contractor or an employee.
As for the governor, his shows meet my approval as they indicate his concerns for the people of Texas.
Windy City Ag
AG
I just wish Abbott didn't act like voters are complete idiots.

Even a cursory inspection of the act he cited shows that he can't declare it anything. Maybe the Tier 1 gang designation has some teeth.
Zobel
AG
What an odd way to say "man I jumped to conclusions and was sarcastic about your experience, you probably know more about this than I do"
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

What an odd way to say "man I jumped to conclusions and was sarcastic about your experience, you probably know more about this than I do"
I don't think your rather narrow and brief experience 50 years ago provides much of a counter-weight to the decades of much more comprehensive evidence put forth by too many statistical services, government agencies, and survey organizations to count.

But you of course entitled to believe whatever you want.
Zobel
AG
And I don't think I should listen very closely to the opinion of a person who struggles to differentiate between posts from two people with wildly different posting styles.
Windy City Ag
AG
Fair point. I probably wouldn't either.
Rongagin71
AG
Talking about 50 yrs ago - yeah, if one goes back far enough
history turns into the government encouraging families.
Along with veterans, TEC was also required by the
Labor Dept to give preference to "Heads of Household".
This was shortly after the Eisenhower Admin
built the Interstate Highway System while at the
same time it was deporting about a million aliens.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.