Sandra Bullock never adopted Michael Oher

3,128 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by W
cupcakesprinkles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38190720/blind-side-subject-michael-oher-alleges-adoption-was-lie-family-took-all-film-proceeds

Oher claims they tricked him into signing some papers giving them the rights to make money off of him
bonfarr
AG
Who actually believed that story anyway? Does anyone really think the Ohers would have given 2 ****s about the kid if he wasn't a huge football player they could direct to their Alma Mater?

It has already been established that in the football field Oher wasn't some awkward charity case that needed a rich white lady to teach him how to play football. He was always a stud on the field.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
bonfarr said:

Who actually believed that story anyway? Does anyone really think the Ohers would have given 2 ****s about the kid if he wasn't a huge football player they could direct to their Alma Mater?

It has already been established that in the football field Oher wasn't some awkward charity case that needed a rich white lady to teach him how to play football. He was always a stud on the field.

Tons of people, including on TA. If you can find it, go back and read the original film post from the Entertainment board. Anyone that expressed some skepticism was pretty well met with scorn and questioning on how someone could go thru life with such a pessimistic attitude or how that person couldn't believe such a "heartwarming story".

For whatever reason, people really wanted to believe the story.
ac04
two months ago, i saw a provocative movie on cable TV. it was called "the net," with that girl from "the bus."
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Who actually believed that story anyway?

Everyone believes they adopted him.
BMX Bandit
ac04 said:

two months ago, i saw a provocative movie on cable TV. it was called "the net," with that girl from "the bus."

I did a little reading and I realized, it wasn't that farfetched
bonfarr
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Who actually believed that story anyway?

Everyone believes they adopted him.

Of course I never thought to doubt whether they actually adopted Oher, my skepticism was with their motive and the plot line that told us he didn't know how to play football until some rich middle aged lady discovered he scored high on protective instincts on a personality test.

The adoption thing was about 4th or 5th in the line of BS from that film.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
MookieBlaylock
AG
wait- so is they Call Me Sirr- a true story ......
Southlake
He sold his company for over 200 million, why would a few 100k even matter?

Sounds like someone's feelings are hurt.
greg.w.h
AG
The family's claim you can't adopt someone 18 or older is true in most states. While recent news on guardianships or conservatorships are mostly negative, I think the key in this one is whether it directly accepted money from Oher's success without putting it in trust and making it available only to Oher. The family already has stated the relatively paltry original proceeds were shared among the family members. That means the guardianship wasn't treated as a fiduciary responsibility by the family.

But luckily Oher overcame that and should be a very wealthy man today. The real issue is if this was ONLY done to not cause Ole Miss to be sanctioned by the NCAA. And therefore his only leverage is bringing that into question. At this point it mainly is a morality tale in how the NCAA prevented historically helping dirt poor players AT ALL.
Max Power
AG
ac04 said:

One of my favorite lines from the GOAT, Frank Costanza.
IrishAg
Since this popped back up on this board, I went and looked for any new updates and came across this.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/sports-news/we-now-know-exactly-how-much-michael-oher-and-the-tuohy-family-made-from-the-blind-side-royalties/

The studio that released the movie said how much the family got total, and man are these numbers off from the lawsuit.

""In fact, Alcon has paid approximately $767,000 to the talent agency that represents the Tuohy family and Michael Oher.

Doing a quick bit of math, after the talent agency took a 10% cut we are left with $690,000 split by the four members of the Tuohy family and Michael Oher. That's $138,000 per person, pre-tax."

I'm guessing people were using modern residuals when calculating this, because as the article points out, payouts to unknown people were a lot less kind back in the day.
Macarthur
The good thing about this story is that it should have a pretty straightforward ending, at least from a money standpoint. The money trail should be pretty easy to establish.
Daveintx
Hey give them a break, do you know what it costs to hire Kathy Bates to tutor?
Stat Monitor Repairman
They still talking about this.

This got to be one of the wildest things we've ever seen.

People mad because life ain't like the movie.

Wild.

Still don't understand what's the issue.
W
AG
when the legend becomes fact -- print the legend
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.