Outdoors
Sponsored by

2024 Western Hunting Thread

30,577 Views | 280 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by suburban cowboy
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been hearing about Archery OTC going away for a few years now. This sucks… l
BrazosBQ
AG
CO Senate confirmed 2 of 3 animal rights types to the CPW Commission today, all 3 had been serving on the board for a couple months. 3rd dropped out before the vote due to the backlash from the hunting community. Ballot measure to ban mountain lion/bobcat hunting will go to public vote in November election, assuming enough signatures are gathered (very likely). Language in the ballot measure will set a precedent that could be used to outlaw hunting of anything/everything. Would strongly encourage folks who hunt the west to get involved with Howl.org and donate to CRWM, seem to be the best outfits/avenues for fighting against this stuff and making your voice heard to the powers that be. At the rate the urban centers of TX are growing, this will be on our doorstep before we know it too.

Losing OTC seasons, while not ideal and a double edged sword of less opportunity but less crowding, is unfortunately not the biggest problem facing hunters in CO. I'd imagine CPW is stepping into this with archery first, and then next season structure cycle or two would go to draw on all the rifle seasons.

Apologies for the F16 rant. Planning to burn 6 elk points in CO this year, undecided on season as of now.
BurnetAggie99
If we go out West it's hard to beat going out to Idaho for Mule Deer and Elk. Non residents can get OTC tags for both. Also ample public land & BLM to hunt
DG96
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

If we go out West it's hard to beat going out to Idaho for Mule Deer and Elk. Non residents can get OTC tags for both. Also ample public land & BLM to hunt

Used to be able to get otc tags. That went away too. NR are getting squeezed out everywhere. Residents want a few more tags for them selves and continue to put pressure on representatives to reduce NR tag numbers. They selfishly don't see the big picture in my opinion.
When hunting rights are getting taken away, residents will need ALL hunters to help fight that battle. If out of state hunters can't get tags anyway, probably less likely to donate to fight those anti hunting idiots.
BradMtn346
I was part of a focus group specifically for license allocation.

Residents and non resident advocates, aka outfitters were not against limited archery on public lands.

You can't hunt elk with a bow in a crowd.

Surprised there isn't a PLO unlimited archery tag. There should be.

Disappointed that they left muzzleloader untouched. I hate that it is in the middle of archery season. Move it to the end. They will be as if not more successful, so will archers.
AgDad121619
AG
I'm guessing OTC rifle is their cash cow - cut back too much on the revenue and they will have to start cutting the biologists that are assigned every elk unit as well as all of the non game species support
Hoyt Ag
AG
BrazosBQ said:

CO Senate confirmed 2 of 3 animal rights types to the CPW Commission today, all 3 had been serving on the board for a couple months. 3rd dropped out before the vote due to the backlash from the hunting community. Ballot measure to ban mountain lion/bobcat hunting will go to public vote in November election, assuming enough signatures are gathered (very likely). Language in the ballot measure will set a precedent that could be used to outlaw hunting of anything/everything. Would strongly encourage folks who hunt the west to get involved with Howl.org and donate to CRWM, seem to be the best outfits/avenues for fighting against this stuff and making your voice heard to the powers that be. At the rate the urban centers of TX are growing, this will be on our doorstep before we know it too.

Losing OTC seasons, while not ideal and a double edged sword of less opportunity but less crowding, is unfortunately not the biggest problem facing hunters in CO. I'd imagine CPW is stepping into this with archery first, and then next season structure cycle or two would go to draw on all the rifle seasons.

Apologies for the F16 rant. Planning to burn 6 elk points in CO this year, undecided on season as of now.

This is what infuriates me the most. If you read to the measure, it has lynx in there as trophy hunting. News flash, you cant hunt lynx in CO. The public blindly vote in favor of these feel good measures without reading the data, the proposition and the people behind it before they vote. It is another clever step in the wrong direction by the governors husband and lawmakers to take away hunting rights. Wolf reindtroduction was the first step, this is the second. The next will be state gun rights. I said it before and I will say it again, I cannot imagine wanting to move to CO with the political movements going on here. I liked living here, but F if I cannot wait to leave.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
DG96 said:

I'm in time out in Utah and Nevada.

What does this mean?
DG96
AG
If you draw a tag in those states for elk you have to sit out 5 years in Utah and 7 years in Nevada.
And it's still almost impossible to draw a tag even with those rules.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Wow a buddy was trying to get me to start putting in for Nevada and i never took the time to figure it out.
harge57
AG
My brother drew AZ archery elk 27. Super pumped to go call for him.
BigHead 04
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Not trying to be a smart ass but when was the last time you tried to get an Idaho tag? I got an elk otc archery tag in 2023. Have tried every season since 2019 maybe, including 2024 and that was my only success.

I don't think Idaho will have otc for nonresidents for much longer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DG96
AG
harge57 said:

Wow!! That is awesome. Its going to be a lot of fun. Good year to draw too.
TikkaShooter
Quote:

I've been hearing about Archery OTC going away for a few years now. This sucks

Why?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Why does this suck? Or why is it going away?
TikkaShooter
Why does it suck?

I've always felt like CO has, in the past decade, and def in the past 5 years, way over sold OTC tags to the detriment of the hunting experience and herd mgmt.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I wont speak for ttha, but I think the crowding is more of a problem in 2nd and 3rd rifle than in archery. With that said, I know public comment shows the inverse of that. I am meh on the situation. But if we are going to impact archery season, then have same policy in rifle. If you read between the lines, then rifle OTC is a few years from going bye bye too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Because the success rate for Archery is insanely low but it's nice for out of staters, such as myself, to rely on this annually.
TikkaShooter
That's a solid take.

I'd personally like to see OTC be gone, and have CO go to a hybrid draw like NM.

I'm not a resident. No skin in the game like the locals, but just my experience in the past decade in CO. I'm sure many others have many more decades of hunting to speak from.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I know overcrowding has been a big issue lately in a lot of units, especially rifle seasons. The times I have hunted public during archery, I have not run into other hunters. I know that's not the norm anymore…

That being said, Archery is extremely difficult to do successfully and most people are still not physically able to get to many of the elk. It just seems like this is phase one of forcing everyone to either be able to hunt CO once every 5 years or have to go on private land.
AgDad121619
AG
I have been working in GoHunt tonight looking for a spot to apply in Co. I have two points and debating whether to just get points for future muzzleloader hunt since I can't go during that time this year. The more I look at both muzzleloader and 1st rifle I am convinced I just need to quit accumulating points. Most of the units that I can get a 100% draw odds I don't need 2 points for. And if I look out for future hints to upgrade unit , my opportunities don't change until I get 10+ points. 61 so I won't be able to hunt high elevation by the time I can accumulate enough points to make a difference. I might as well just apply 1st rifle and burn points
TikkaShooter
Point banking days are over. Gather 1-3 points, apply, and go hunt. I think you're right on.
AgDad121619
AG
Hoyt Ag - what units do you scout for muleys? I have 3 points and unit 31/41 appear to be in your area

Also when is the rut - 2nd/ 3rd rifle season?
Hoyt Ag
AG
I dont know anything about those areas, pretty far south of me.
I focus on 11/12/23/24/25/26/231

I dont have much time to look today, but see what points 11 takes for 3rd season. I have some good spots there that are easy to get to. Unit 12 will be mostly snowed in, same for 23 and 24.

Typically 3rd season the way the seasons are done now, but if they shift then it could end up back into 4th.
Maximus Johnson
AG
harge57 said:

That's sweet. I will be there in 3 weeks bear hunting. I know Spring and Fall are wildly different but I can get you guys some general terrain info if you have never been there.
Todd 02
AG
TikkaShooter said:

That's a solid take.

I'd personally like to see OTC be gone, and have CO go to a hybrid draw like NM.

I'm not a resident. No skin in the game like the locals, but just my experience in the past decade in CO. I'm sure many others have many more decades of hunting to speak from.
I live in Texas and don't hunt Colorado, but I can't imagine why the NM method would appeal to any nonresident hunters out there. NM residents complain that NR get too many tags. By law, DIY NR get 6% of the licenses per hunt code. But in reality it's much less than that. Many of the hunt codes are resident only. And many of the hunt codes don't have enough tags allocated to even give DIY NR a chance.

In 2023, 22,783 elk tags were issued in the NM draw. Of those, only 921 went to DIY NR. That's 4%.

I don't disagree that unlimited OTC causes overcrowding. I don't know what the solution is. The resident vs nonresident battle is only heating up. It's gonna get worse for the NR hunters out there.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Just make it all a draw like it is in other units. It doesnt need to be complicated. If CPW is confident in the herd numbers, my opinion on that aside, then it should be very easy to add OTC units to the draw with proper tag allocations.
DG96
AG
The landowner tags are the biggest issue for NM. That is a large portion of the tag allotment. Very few residents will pay $4000 for below average tag. The better tags are $8000 and up.
The guided pool getting 10% sucks. Of course that is mostly nonresidents in that pool so residents are pissed at that too.

TikkaShooter
The part of the NM method that makes sense to me is the part where anyone can draw any tag in any unit, even at super low odds.

I'd like to see CO hybridize their draw and do something similar. PP holders get more "tickets in the drum", but everyone can apply.
captainloush
Does anyone have any thoughts on point creep this year?

The more I look at it, I don't think I will be able to draw some of the tags that I was eyeing. (12/24 Archery Elk, 501 3rd Rifle Mule Deer)

I think there are going to be very few Archery Elk tags that you can draw as a second choice this year.
Hoyt Ag
AG
How many pts do you have? Nonres is like 3 or 4 I think usually, Res is 0-1.

I assume they lowered the tags 50 more this year, I havent looked. Its a popular tag now,.
captainloush
I've got 3 points for elk and deer
Hoyt Ag
AG
Probably have a good chance at the elk tag. I love 12.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Wyoming deer looking rough for the foreseeable future which really sucks. I'm at max points and should have punch a tag in '20. I'm in the Nevada deer draw. Probably putting in NM rifle deer as well.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Todd 02
AG
Just a couple days left to make your NM picks...

Six days before apps are due and I throw out my effing back again!

I'm putting in anyway. Eff it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.