Outdoors
Sponsored by

2024 Western Hunting Thread

30,640 Views | 280 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by suburban cowboy
HouAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CO Elk success
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Congratulations!
BrazosBQ
AG
Drew elk, burned 6 points
suburban cowboy
AG
BrazosBQ said:

Drew elk, burned 6 points

where do you view results? under "my orders - draws"?
Catag94
AG
Look under your draws.
suburban cowboy
AG
Drew 4th Season Elk CO, first attempt
Hoyt Ag
AG
3rd season deer unit 11. Elk 12,23,24 north of white river. Lady friend got 1st season cow elk in 22 and deer in 11 with me. We will be busy this fall.
tmaggie50
AG
I drew my 2nd choice for elk tag. Do I still get a preference point since it wasn't my first choice?
Hoyt Ag
AG
Guess I wont be doing any tracking this year unless you have DEEP pockets. Will be diving in the Phillipines during 2nd rifle and hunting or guiding all other seasons.
Catag94
AG
tmaggie50 said:

I drew my 2nd choice for elk tag. Do I still get a preference point since it wasn't my first choice?

Yes sir
Edit: that is if you are talking Colorado. Only first choices award or consume PP. In fact, I hunted in years in an area where there were more private land only tags than applicants. So, we entered the PP code for our first choose every year and the tag we could use as our second and got the tag and a point every year.
AggieJames09
AG
Edit - I'm not 100%
BradMtn346
Goose egg in Utah again, not unexpected. Failed to burn my 20 elk points in Colorado as a resident on early rifle 76. Will try with 21 next year. Drew second choice PLO either sex elk 1st at home.

Drew deer at home, 63, which wasn't guaranteed, so that's cool. No moose or sheep for me or the family.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Drew 3rd Rifle near Vail - unit 35, 36,361,45

Not great but worth a shot.
DG96
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

If you get a shot at a really big coyote with big paws…take it.
AgEng06
AG
Colorado - struck out on moose, drew archery deer, drew archery elk. I will turn in the elk tag and keep the deer tag.
tmaggie50
AG
I drew 80/81 for Colorado archery elk. If anyone has hunted in the past and willing to share any tips, please let me know and I'll reach out directly. Feel free to dm me. Thanks.
BCO07
AG
Unsurprisingly got points in CO
cochrum
AG
I drew archery Elk unit 52.....which was my 4th choice. Anybody been there? Grand Mesa area.
JFABNRGR
AG
PP only in CO for us.
TH36
JeremiahJohnson said:

WestTexAg12
AG
PP for me all across the board, intentionally.

Damn weddings.

AgDad121619
AG
Drew a mule deer antlerless for 3rd season rifle in Unit 25. Fourth choice so really didn't expect to get selected. Now I have to decide if I'm going to keep the tag - wasn't in my plans but now wondering if I should add an OTC tag for elk and start prep.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have some spots in 25 if you need them.
AgDad121619
AG
That's why I chose that unit - thanks. Will touch base if I decide to keep the tag. Would you recommend adding the OTC elk tag for that season?
suburban cowboy
AG
hunting Unit 11 with your friend MK
Hoyt Ag
AG
NM, I remember now. Should have a good season if we get some rain this summer.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Depends on your fitness level and dedication. Its not an easy unit but has good animals.
agenjake
Wyoming deer and antelope applications are due tomorrow. Our party has 2+ points, and we put in for Region D with Region J as a backup, so we should get in. Fingers crossed, though.
AggieJames09
AG
Point creep and tag reduction stats are interesting. Colorado posted the draw result numbers and it's just terrible in some units.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Got your email. I will think on it and reach out Monday, I am out of country at the moment.
suburban cowboy
AG
agenjake said:

Wyoming deer and antelope applications are due tomorrow. Our party has 2+ points, and we put in for Region D with Region J as a backup, so we should get in. Fingers crossed, though.

I put in for antelope in 25, 46, 73 without doing any research
MurphyMID
Drew 2nd rifle Cow elk, bear, and Mule deer for unit 85...
mtngoat3006
CO muley either-sex, 3rd season, 2nd choice, private land, unit 444. OTC elk unit and will buy a tag if the elk are in the vicinity... Good luck, Pilgrims!!!
mneisch
AG
I've hunted that unit several times for mule deer, always public land though. Do you have a private land connection or live there?
mtngoat3006
mneisch said:

I've hunted that unit several times for mule deer, always public land though. Do you have a private land connection or live there?
Private land lease that we've hunted for about 15 years. Very productive piece of small private ground near Carbondale. I believe we've taken around 15 bulls, 4 cows, and 12 bucks. Biggest bull was around 320+/- typ B&C and biggest buck was 195+/- non-typ B&C. Hoping for the best this year with 3 muley tags and 1 OTC bull tag (possibly 2 elk tags)...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.