Hummingbirds are back!

10,574 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by Aggieland Proud
Girlhowdy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dylan said:

We had one who went into our garage and just would not fly out...eventually the hummingbird flew out later in the day.

I wonder if a feeder on a small table outside the garage within sight of the hummingbird would lure it out.
EBrazosAg
AG
It's pretty easy to catch them in a butterfly net
And release outside the garage.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
toolshed
AG
I hung a feeder in the garage and it wouldn't land or feed. I was worried about it getting exhausted and dying.

Wound up closing the garage and just had some minimal light through the windows and immediately it landed on the center beam on the ceiling. I got a ladder and caught it by hand and let it out.

Second one I had to catch by hand. The dark seems to trigger them to land and rest thinking it's evening.

We keep our garage door half closed now to prevent it. We have lots of red things in the garage that probably attracted them in.
WolfCall
AG
Anyone else seeing Black Chinned Hummingbirds?

We started our hummingbird feeders about a week ago. Have seven feeders clustered together hanging from our pergola. Have lots of Ruby Throats. Our Merlin Ap Sound ID has picked up a Black Chinned Hummingbird on three separate days.

We had two Orchard Orioles yesterday and one today. They are visiting the Hummingbird feeders...
Capt.Starbuck
We've had tons of activity the past couple days at our 2 feeders and saw an Oriole yesterday, hadn't seen one in several years.
Marisasconleyphotography
AG
I only have ruby throated but my app says black chinned are here. I had less Baltimore orioles this year. Only two sets. I have only ever seen one orchid oriole. Has anyone seen painted buntings in BCS this year?
befitter
I have some black chinned south of Wellborn
WolfCall
AG
Thanks for Intel regarding Black Chinned HBs and Orioles.

We have lived here since 1995 and see RoadRunners about four to eight times a year. Anybody else see them?
Marisasconleyphotography
AG
I've only seen one roadrunner in BCS. I heard fire ants have depleted the population
toolshed
AG
I see them pretty often. I feel like I see them more now than 10-20 years ago. There's a thread somewhere, either Aggieland or outdoor board about them.
Marisasconleyphotography
AG
I had a hummingbird show up yesterday with a flower around her neck
UglyScientist
WolfCall said:

Thanks for Intel regarding Black Chinned HBs and Orioles.

We have lived here since 1995 and see RoadRunners about four to eight times a year. Anybody else see them?

My dad lives in Indian Lakes and we've seen a pair of them in his backyard or nearby all summer.
Hammerheadjim
AG
We only see two types of hummingbirds at our place. The ruby throats are the most populous, but the dark necked ones are around also. Maybe a 70/30 mix. I don't see them commingling much. there are times in the early morning and late afternoon where I will have 12-15 buzzing around the feeders.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Aggieland Proud
AG
How do you discourage the bees? They don't seem to bother the hummingbirds but when you have 25-30 bees at the same time, they are helping to drain my feeder too fast! We're having 8-10 hummingbirds feeding off of two feeders and my smaller feeders are being drained in half a day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.