BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

489,103 Views | 2155 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by FlyRod
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Something called Chrust Pizza is opening (or has) in the strip where Total Wine is.
9dag
AG
Yes.

Please start a median board dedicated solely to the medians that are causing danger and much more than inconvenience.

It would need to be closely moderated.

This is a relevant problem in BCS
maroon barchetta
woodiewood said:

Tailgate88 said:

I remember when this board said south CS would never be able to support a Saltgrass.
Everything is relative.

When our church moved from Church Street to across the side street where Cosol is a lot of members griped about how far it was to go there.

Well yeah. A church should be on Church Street.

In fact, the entire street should be churches.
The Brazos Kid
9dag said:

Yes.

Please start a median board dedicated solely to the medians that are causing danger and much more than inconvenience.

It would need to be closely moderated.

This is a relevant problem in BCS

We could call it F85.

IYKYK
Rex Racer
AG
It used to be.
merc
AG
techno-ag said:

Maui McQueen said:

A few exciting updates from the Lake Walk development out by Traditions that I haven't seen on this board yet:

• Capital Farm Credit is moving their corporate headquarters from the Wells Fargo building in Bryan to the former Viasat building at 3902 South Traditions Drive. Capital Farm Credit plans to move by the end of 2024 and will be moving over 100 employees. Full Release
  • The BlueForge Alliance (BFA) has acquired 3891 South Traditions Drive as its headquarters. This building was the former Nutrabolt and DesignSpark building. BFA the national nonprofit that supports the Navy's submarine and maritime manufacturing efforts. I think they have a pretty substantial advertising presence with MLB and NASCAR with their "buildsubmarines.com" brand. Full Release
  • Pre-leasing for "The Lumin at Lake Walk" has began. This project will be a 5 story office building with 2 restaurant spaces on the first floor. The building will boast over 75,000 square feet of class A+ office space. There will also be a parking garage attached. It is currently planned to open in Q1 of 2026. The building looks to be on the northern end of the lake next to the new building with Woodhouse Spa and Kanji Sushi. Full Release Leasing Brochure

That is awesome. Traditions continues to be one of the best things Bryan green-lighted ever.
Going to need to go ahead and upgrade F and B Road from HSC to 2818 with more traffic. It will also be interesting to see if that office space will get filled.
PS3D
With Conn's planning to liquidate rather than just the 70 originally planned I really hope Murdoch's could expand into their space and open into the mall.

It won't happen but I can always dream.
Captn_Ag05
AG
College station Conn's officially on the list to close now.
Hornbeck
AG
What's the over / under on Post Oak Mall shutting down?
PS3D
Hornbeck said:

Depends on if CBL Properties continues to let it rot or not, or starts opening more spaces. The front corridor is a ghost town since Chuck E. Cheese's or the nightclub/theater doesn't open into the mall anymore. There have been a number of other success stories turning declining regional malls into 100% occupied.
agmamaco09
AG
I'd love to see it bulldozed and turned into a more modern, lifestyle shopping area with green space and shops that open to the outside. The monstrosity of an indoor mall surrounded by an empty concrete parking lot is just an eyesore. But I won't hold my breath.
BiochemAg97
AG
agmamaco09 said:

I'd love to see it bulldozed and turned into a more modern, lifestyle shopping area with green space and shops that open to the outside. The monstrosity of an indoor mall surrounded by an empty concrete parking lot is just an eyesore. But I won't hold my breath.

Post oak mall certainly isn't pretty, but I don't think an indoor mall has to be an eyesore. Biggest problem I see if the expense of climate control on all that space in the common area.

I wonder if multistory malls are more cost effective for climate control than a single story.
PS3D
BiochemAg97 said:

I wonder if multistory malls are more cost effective for climate control than a single story.
I don't think so because of the way air flow works (tall ceilings are harder to maintain, and cold air sinks). Plus, when a multi-story mall starts to suffer, it's the ones on the upper level that suffer first.

agmamaco09 said:

So...a fancy strip mall. Let the nail spa and chicken finger jokes commence.

Not exactly a "Coming or Going" but the Texas Aggieland Book Store is now branded as simply "TXAG Store".
MS08
AG
agmamaco09 said:

Not going to happen in this location. Last time I checked the Mall is off of Harvey Rd. Not the appropriate demographics for anything modern/high-end. That's the way baseball goes.
agmamaco09
AG
No, we have plenty of that. I just meant an open concept where you don't have to walk into a dingy half vacant building.

To get back on topic, anyone know the latest with REI opening?
woodiewood
Captn_Ag05 said:

College station Conn's officially on the list to close now.
The city of College Station needs to get the folding money together to quickly buy that building before someone else does.
woodiewood
PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

Depends on if CBL Properties continues to let it rot or not, or starts opening more spaces. The front corridor is a ghost town since Chuck E. Cheese's or the nightclub/theater doesn't open into the mall anymore. There have been a number of other success stories turning declining regional malls into 100% occupied.
The one major issue with a mall conversion to anything else is that there are seven different owners of real property there. It might be difficult to get all parties in agreement to anything.

woodiewood
MS08 said:

agmamaco09 said:

Not going to happen in this location. Last time I checked the Mall is off of Harvey Rd. Not the appropriate demographics for anything modern/high-end. That's the way baseball goes.
The 800 unit or so 51 year old apartment complex across the street would probably deter any upscale developers interest in the mall property. The apartment units have been updated at times, but still old styling and minimum features and amenities.
BQwolf05
AG
No, but did look a week or 2 ago and they have manager positions posted on their hiring website.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I saw somewhere they're expected to open before the end of the year. It looks like the construction over there has all moved inside.
RafterAg223
AG
MS08 said:

agmamaco09 said:

Respectfully disagree here. It's the best piece of dirt in this market. I know of bonafide developers personally that have high interest in such a project. It's highly visible and easy to get to from anywhere in town. It would be a destination.
TXAGBQ76
AG
so what would they do with it?
techno-ag
AG
woodiewood said:

MS08 said:

agmamaco09 said:

The 800 unit or so 51 year old apartment complex across the street would probably deter any upscale developers interest in the mall property. The apartment units have been updated at times, but still old styling and minimum features and amenities.

Disagree. Lots of developments in lots of places are A properties across the street from C properties.

The prime location of Post Oak Mall is of much higher consideration than its neighbors.
Captn_Ag05
AG
About a year ago, Pickleball Kingdom announced a College Station franchise location. There hasn't been an announcement on location, but it will require a fairly large amount of indoor space. Perhaps one of these vacant mall properties would be a good option for them.
RafterAg223
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

so what would they do with it?
There is interest in doing a more urban mixed use product there, similar in nature to a Century Square, but hopefully it would be executed to a much higher standard. That said, this won't happen any time soon. You have a lot of moving parts on that tract. The anchor boxes aren't owned by CBL, but rather the department stores themselves and our brilliant city, in the case of Macy's. CBL doesn't appear overly motivated to do anything right now, so everything is just talk. Still a great piece of dirt with great long term potential.
lockett93
AG
I heard Pickleball Kingdom was planning to go into the closed Golds Gym in the Texas Center near Texas and Villa Maria.
Captn_Ag05
AG
lockett93 said:

I heard Pickleball Kingdom was planning to go into the closed Golds Gym in the Texas Center near Texas and Villa Maria.
That would make sense. Post Oak would be a more central location for students and Bryan residents, but that is a good location.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I assumed it was early discussion stage at best but was curious about target concepts/ideas. Thanks for your comments!
phillytex24
Tailgate88 said:

I remember when this board said south CS would never be able to support a Saltgrass.

Hate to break it to you, they're not doing well here. Talking of closing this location down.
BiochemAg97
AG
lockett93 said:

Really close to Midtown. I thought they were a lot of pickle ball possibilities there. Although a dedicated pickle ball place where you don't get kicked out because A&M wants to play tennis might not be a bad idea.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
phillytex24 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Hate to break it to you, they're not doing well here. Talking of closing this location down.
I think it's their own fault. They used to be one of the only sit down restaurants over there. They've gotten a ton of competition in recent years, and their quality and service went way down hill (at least in my experience) recently.

Captn_Ag05
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

lockett93 said:

Really close to Midtown. I thought they were a lot of pickle ball possibilities there. Although a dedicated pickle ball place where you don't get kicked out because A&M wants to play tennis might not be a bad idea.
The bowling and move place going in at Midtown is going to have indoor and outdoor pickleball.
Hittag1492
AG
phillytex24 said:

Tailgate88 said:

That's because of competition, not the ability of the community to support one though.
Captn_Ag05
AG
So, the Culpepper redevelopment means the IHOP, Chipotle, and Schlotzsky's locations are going away? I thought the IHOP space was being marketed for lease?

Also, I thought it was going to be mixed use, but the documents submitted to planning and zoning call it Culpepper Student Housing.

TXAGBQ76
AG
That's interesting news. Every time I've been there it's been crowded with a wait.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.