Amazon/USPS Struggling Again?

18,644 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by trouble
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charpie said:

So I ordered stuff from Sephora Sunday night. Shipped via USPS and arrived on Wednesday. Amazon? Still taking 5-7 days

Yup. Multiple things not from Amazon have arrived in 2-3 days.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I tell ya, they are p'd about not getting their way with the drones.
LOYAL AG
AG
trouble said:

Charpie said:

So I ordered stuff from Sephora Sunday night. Shipped via USPS and arrived on Wednesday. Amazon? Still taking 5-7 days

Yup. Multiple things not from Amazon have arrived in 2-3 days.

Probably has to do with volume. Amazon is the biggest shipper in the world I would assume so when the USPS is overwhelmed it's easier to push back against Amazon than it is Sephora and 100 other smaller shippers just to get a result similar to Amazon. Plus they have an agreement already with Amazon and that may not exist with Sephora or anyone else.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Rapier108
FedEx Ground is no better and in fact I'd say worse.

They seem to only be delivering to the student areas of CS and simply classifying elsewhere as "closed."

Tired of paying for shipping and the delivery entity simply refusing to do their job.

Edit: So today they didn't mark it as closed, but rather "operational" delay." Out for delivery just after 8AM, and then just before 9PM they code it as "no attempt made, operational" delay."
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
threecatcorner
Placed an order Monday. "Prime" shipping says it'll be here by Monday, so a week delivery estimate.

I just checked the status again, and they still haven't even shipped it.

If Amazon can't be bothered to send stuff out, the slowness is caused by them, not by the post office.
threecatcorner
dallasiteinsa02 said:

The shipping time hasn't been the problem for me. It just takes 4 to 5 days for Amazon to even ship it.

Exactly. If Amazon would actually bother to ship stuff out in a timely manner, Prime would still be fast.
trouble
AG
Agreed
threecatcorner
BiochemAg97 said:

91_Aggie said:

So I ordered 2 things from Amazon on Monday from Amazon using Prime. Both said Saturday delivery.

One finally shipped today. Other item hasn't shipped yet... so not fully convinced this is B/CS USPS issue.

The item that shipped today is coming UPS. No reason why Amazon had to delay actually shipping

Agreement with USPS has daily volume limits. As the volume goes above the daily limit, Amazon holds the packages.

Amazon needs to get rid of that agreement or refund Prime membership costs to people like us who don't really get what they advertised when we signed up.
Koko Chingo
AG
That has been my experience too. They hold the items for nearly a week and USPS only takes a day or two once the item is actually packed and shipped.

I am not a fan of the USPS but they do not seem the problem in this case
LOYAL AG
AG
threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

The shipping time hasn't been the problem for me. It just takes 4 to 5 days for Amazon to even ship it.

Exactly. If Amazon would actually bother to ship stuff out in a timely manner, Prime would still be fast.

Have you read the whole thread? When Hearne and Caldwell are getting things in two days and BCS in seven Amazon isn't the problem. The agreement between the two orgs is that USPS can ask Amazon to throttle back shipping to certain zip codes during heavy periods. It's absolutely a USPS problem.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
MiMi
S
It's not just USPS. My Amazon order that was made on 8/16 didn't ship via UPS until yesterday.
maroon barchetta
My wife's Amazon order that was placed on Sunday was supposed to go via USPS and showed up last night via UPS

threecatcorner
LOYAL AG said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Have you read the whole thread? When Hearne and Caldwell are getting things in two days and BCS in seven Amazon isn't the problem. The agreement between the two orgs is that USPS can ask Amazon to throttle back shipping to certain zip codes during heavy periods. It's absolutely a USPS problem.

I read the thread. The problem is Amazon agreeing to throttle shipments to certain zip codes. They definitely didn't used to do that. Whether it's because the post office told them to or not, Amazon is taking their sweet time bothering to send stuff out to addresses in College Station.

There's no reason we should pay the same for Prime memberships as people on other places who actually get 1 or 2 day delivery. They're also idiots if they don't think that waiting nearly a week to even ship something isn't going to make customers blame them. They need to get rid of that agreement.
LOYAL AG
AG
threecatcorner said:

LOYAL AG said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

I read the thread. The problem is Amazon agreeing to throttle shipments to certain zip codes. They definitely didn't used to do that. Whether it's because the post office told them to or not, Amazon is taking their sweet time bothering to send stuff out to addresses in College Station.

There's no reason we should pay the same for Prime memberships as people on other places who actually get 1 or 2 day delivery. They're also idiots if they don't think that waiting nearly a week to even ship something isn't going to make customers blame them. They need to get rid of that agreement.

Not even sure where to go with this but nothing you said is even logical from the perspective of running a business. You think Amazon is arbitrarily picking on BCS zip codes? I assume you don't think that so I won't address it. They're the biggest shipper in the world and USPS if the biggest delivery company in the world. Of course they're going to have some kind of agreement to make sure the shipper doesn't overwhelm the carrier in times of heavy volume. Amazon doesn't exist in a vacuum, what they do matters a great deal to the businesses they partner with. If they continue shipping immediately without any regard for their biggest partner what would happen is USPS facilities in this market would have more packages than they can handle and things would be left on trucks or outside and there would be a much higher risk of damage or loss than there already is just due to the nature of shipping.

Now what also probably exists in that agreement are performance metrics where Amazon monitors USPS performance in key areas like lost or late packages and with that is probably the ability to show them what zip codes are consistently being throttled. With that data Amazon can press USPS to increase resources in those markets to improve performance. Amazon knows they're not meeting the commitment to customers in BCS zip codes and they know that has consequences if not remedied. The answer isn't being a bad business partner to their largest shipping partner but rather helping said partner improve performance so it doesn't keep happening.

doubledog
We can all agree that it is poor planning on the part of the USPS. Certain times of the year are higher volume then others in the BCS area, plan accordingly. That said, the USPS administration in DC, most likely sets the policies that limits the productivity of their local post offices.
trouble
AG
Y'all, the Bryan post office has been trying to hire people. It's not like you snap your fingers and new employees appear. Our carrier (who is fabulous) is working overtime whenever he can but he has a family too. It's not like he can work until 9 every night. Same with the other current carriers.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Average Joe said:

Amazon should invest more in the locker pickup locations for towns like ours that have post offices that have been cut at the knees over and over. I don't need to have every package delivered to my door, so give me a slight discount on shipping and I'll go pick it up a few miles down the road.

There is a new one in century square and I just used to for the first time this week. Placed order late Tuesday night and I had the choice between "prime" delivery of Tuesday 8/27 which is a joke, or pickup Thursday 8/22. I went with pickup and was surprised I actually got the email around noon that my order was ready for pickup on time.

Still, I don't have my package because I learned at 7:05 they close at 7 . But even if I get it today it'll be 4 days before prime delivery would've been.
doubledog
trouble said:

Y'all, the Bryan post office has been trying to hire people. It's not like you snap your fingers and new employees appear. Our carrier (who is fabulous) is working overtime whenever he can but he has a family too. It's not like he can work until 9 every night. Same with the other current carriers.
And therein lies the problem with the USPS administrator in DC. Why can't we hire workers more efficiently? Is there a quote (DEI?) set up by the administration in DC? Why can't they hire temps? Is there dead weight at the USPS that should be "moved" out? Is this an issue with the union? What are the real issues at the Bryan post office?
trouble
AG
The biggest issue right now is qualified candidates applying.
Stucco
I wish there were more pickup spots. I don't know why Amazon hasn't partnered with some major brick and mortar chains like UPS, Walgreens, or McDonalds for pickup options in their stores.
Hornbeck
AG
trouble said:

Qualified and can pass a drug screen is a high bar for the rate they are paying.
Hornbeck
AG
Stucco said:

I wish there were more pickup spots. I don't know why Amazon hasn't partnered with some major brick and mortar chains like UPS, Walgreens, or McDonalds for pickup options in their stores.

Because Amazon doesn't "partner" with folks well. A real good example is the USPS partnership. They are the 800 pound gorilla in the retail space, and they tend to tilt partnerships in their favor heavily. I bet USPS is losing money on their Amazon partnership, but USPS brass needed a lifeline.
BiochemAg97
AG
trouble said:

Basically the same issue for everyone, govt and private, right now.
Average Joe
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Average Joe said:

Amazon should invest more in the locker pickup locations for towns like ours that have post offices that have been cut at the knees over and over. I don't need to have every package delivered to my door, so give me a slight discount on shipping and I'll go pick it up a few miles down the road.

There is a new one in century square and I just used to for the first time this week. Placed order late Tuesday night and I had the choice between "prime" delivery of Tuesday 8/27 which is a joke, or pickup Thursday 8/22. I went with pickup and was surprised I actually got the email around noon that my order was ready for pickup on time.

Still, I don't have my package because I learned at 7:05 they close at 7 . But even if I get it today it'll be 4 days before prime delivery would've been.

I live just south of town and don't get the option to pickup there, but it's the only option I have for returns. Used to get the option for Kohls and the UPS store on Rock prairie.

I really like the idea of that store, and it's exactly what I was talking about. They should just have more of them.
trouble
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

trouble said:

Basically the same issue for everyone, govt and private, right now.

Indeed.
Rapier108
USPS could slow service in certain areas as it seeks to cut costs | Fox Business
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BiochemAg97
AG
Rapier108 said:

USPS could slow service in certain areas as it seeks to cut costs | Fox Business

Not what they are talking about, but I would have no issues if they had a plan to cut out one mail delivery 1 week day for all residential addresses. Makes a significant dent in the understaffing.

As it is, I swear the mail doesn't get delivered to my house some days anyway. Just make it official.
Hornbeck
AG
Ummmm, we live more than 50 miles form a sort facility. So, the already slow service will get even slower.
trouble
AG
Bryan is now a sorting facility. It's just not a hub.
Hornbeck
AG
trouble said:

Bryan is now a sorting facility. It's just not a hub.
TIL! Thank you kindly, ma'am.
MiMi
S
My Amazon order that is being delivered today was sent out in 3 shipments. Two via UPS Ground and 1 with UPS Surepost. USPS just delivered the Surepost package. The lazy carrier just set it on top of my mailbox instead of leaving it on my porch. Good thing I was home to get it before it could be taken by a passerby.
Hornbeck
AG
Good thing it's not raining, too.
dubi
AG
Charpie said:

It's really odd. I've been splitting my time between Bryan and rural West Texas. Lately I can get stuff shipped out there sooner than in Bryan. I'm talking an hour northwest of Abilene!
BCS has 70k college kids. BFE Abilene does not.
TellMeMore
+1 to carrier leaving a box on top of my mailbox. And it was pretty soggy when I discovered it
MsDoubleD81
AG
This has been going on for me way before students returned. More like after Beryl rolled thru.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.