2021 Tundra vs 2024 Tundra - Which would you buy?

11,943 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by f2foxes2001
fixer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
None here and with two Toyotas that are 2019+
JP76
Had a 2018 for 5.5 years and 135k miles

Never had any issues other then bugs on the sensor disabling it until they were cleaned.
Saved my rear when the truck was a few months old and a guy pulled out in front of me pulling an rv.

idAg09
The speedometer cluster and front grille update after 17 is much better and I think they stopped putting transmission coolers after 2019. I do like the new Pro and Platinum models. Look really great on the road
GeeBee
AG
My issue with the engine failures in 22s -24s is Toyota's repair method. A Toyota provided short block and a tech doing the head swap and front cover swap at the dealer? Ahhh hell no.

Do they check anything for damage being reused? Reports are the engine locks up and comes to a sudden stop. How about the metal that went through the engine? Does the dealer have a jet wash to clean everything that contacted motor oil and is being reused? I'd tell Toyota they just bought it back.

Crate engine or buy back, that's the two choices.

Some other anecdotal reports floating out there:
There's a 2022 out there with 49k and on it's 3rd engine. Yikes.

LX600s are having engine the same failures too. One tech reported he has done 3 and those are the only 3 main bearing failures he's seen as a Lexus tech in his 20 yr career. Lexus has only sold around 8,000 LX600s in US total in last 2 yrs. Not a good ratio for one tech.

Buck Turgidson
JP76 said:

Have any stats on actual engine failures on the 2022? 100? 1000 ? 10,000 ?
I don't have all the detailed stats, but I just ran across this video (looks like around 100k trucks involved):

Buck Turgidson
JP76 said:

Sell me on the titan because I just don't see the reasoning

Is it cheap ? The ones i see new even at 18-20% off msrp are still right at what a tundra cost.

Is the value there preowned due to the much higher depreciation rate ?
Here's the pros for the Titan:
- old school truck with reliable V8 power train
- best in class warranty 5 year/100k miles bumper to bumper
- best value (bang for buck) in full sized trucks - well equipped Pro4X drive out under $60k in some cases

Cons for the Titan:
- old school (stiff) rear suspension
- heavy steering at low speeds
- no available trim comparable to the high end $80k+ Fords, Rams or GMCs.

If you want a heavily optioned luxury truck with a soft ride, go with Ram or Ford or GMC.

If you want a truck that is similar to the previous generation Tundra TRD Pro but with better tech, better stereo, way better warranty at a better price - the Titan Pro 4X is it.
tk for tu juan
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-recalls-certain-model-year-2022-2023-toyota-tundra-and-lexus-lx-vehicles/

Quote:

Toyota is conducting a safety recall involving certain model year 2022-2023 Toyota Tundra and Lexus LX (conventional gas model only) vehicles in North America. Approximately, 102,000 Toyota and Lexus branded vehicles are involved in this recall in the U.S.

There is a possibility that certain machining debris may not have been cleared from the engine when it was produced. In the involved vehicles, this can lead to potential engine knocking, engine rough running, engine no start and/or a loss of motive power. A loss of motive power while driving at higher speeds can increase the risk of a crash.
NTXAggie14
AG
This one just became available here in DFW area. 2021 SR5 with less than 2,000 miles on it.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/715007922?city=Rockwall&listingType=USED&listingType=CERTIFIED&listingType=3P_CERT&makeCode=TOYOTA&modelCode=TUNDRA&newSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Ftoyota%2Ftundra%2Frockwall-tx%3FlistingType%3DUSED%26listingType%3DCERTIFIED%26listingType%3D3P_CERT%26newSearch%3Dtrue%26sortBy%3DmileageASC%26zip%3D75032&sortBy=mileageASC&state=TX&zip=75032&clickType=listing
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I saw that one a week or so ago - it almost seems too good to be true. Wouldn't be surprised the dealer trying to Honeypot folks.
tk for tu juan
Wrecked
https://vehicles.autousa.pro/20240502/2021/Toyota/Tundra/5TFDY5F13MX010090

Google image search VIN numbers when things seem to good to be true
nealan
Nice Work!!!
bam02
AG
https://www.facebook.com/share/LwocW9qRRMzunjZu/?mibextid=79PoIi
SlickHairandlotsofmoney
Solid breakdown. Only thing I'll add, I had a Titan SV rental and the body roll was terrible. I own a pro-4x and while the suspension is stiff and it rides a little hard on the highway, it handles so much better than the SV and even my old man's F150.

I've put 70k over 7 years on my Pro4x and my only issue was a bad sensor throwing a code which was fixed under warranty. Looking back, I stole it for $42k back in 2017, but considering what trucks are going for now, a new one at $60k would be a great deal.
GeeBee
AG
So now Toyota admits metal contamination. I guess there are no worries about cam bearing and oil pump damage? It magically just stayed in the mains. LoL
fixer
GeeBee said:

So now Toyota admits metal contamination. I guess there are no worries about cam bearing and oil pump damage? It magically just stayed in the mains. LoL

It's ludicrous.

Saw a main bearing failure posted in another forum that was just shy of 36,000 miles.

And it looks to be almost always the #1 main.

Kennedy assassination theory of main bearing failures.
Buck Turgidson
More on the problems with the new Tundras. Now dealers don't want to take them as trade-ins because of the uncertainties around the recall.

nealan
Yeah, Toyota pretty much answered OP at this point
The Pilot
AG
Thoughts on buying from Carmax?

https://www.carmax.com/car/25849527
Cromagnum
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

The tech on the previous gen is so outdated. If that doesn't bother you then I'd go previous gen. However I'm a nerd and like all the newest stuff like wireless CarPlay. Especially if everything is under warranty for quite a while.

That's been Toyota's MO for a long time. Have to decide whether you want creature comforts or bulletproof drivetrain.
Ctxaggie
AG
My '22 tundra limited 4wd has 76K miles on the odometer and has been problem free. It is much more comfortable and powerful than the previous generations. Hopefully it will be as reliable.

I still own my '11 tundra 2wd, which has 259K miles on the odometer. It would have a lot more miles had I not bought a commuter car for 2.5 years before buying my '22 tundra. Other than the cam tower leak that was fixed during the first year of ownership, my '11 tundra has been flawless as well. I've replaced spark plugs twice and brakes once. Everything else on the powertrain is still original and runs like the day I bought it.
f2foxes2001
AG
The capstone has a beautiful interior. Is it hard to keep clean?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.