2021 Tundra vs 2024 Tundra - Which would you buy?

11,973 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by f2foxes2001
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BTW, the new Tundras have had problems with engine failures. A couple videos:

TSW2012
AG
Scroll through the 3/4 ton thread but I would suggest a gas engine 3/4 Chevy. No AFM or lifter issues there. Similar to same fuel economy you are expecting with the tundra.
Buck Turgidson
This guy bought a '24 Tundra and is pretty disgruntled...

AggieFrog
AG
I replaced a 2014 Tundra sR5 5.7L that I drove for 9 years and 140k miles with a '23 Limited a year ago. Zero regrets and the twin turbo V6 is better towing, has much better acceleration, and better mileage.
JP76
Have any stats on actual engine failures on the 2022? 100? 1000 ? 10,000 ?
Jack Boyett
AG
Seems like everyone on here only wants to get about 150k miles. Why pay the Toyota tax if that's all you are looking for?
AggieFrog
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Seems like everyone on here only wants to get about 150k miles. Why pay the Toyota tax if that's all you are looking for?

That's two Chevy transmissions.
JP76
And 3 AFM engine failures
Dr. Nefario
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

I've contemplated the Titan as well. But I know they decided to stop making them after 2023 I think - will that affect anything going forward?

They also stopped making the second gen Tundra after 2021. It was replaced with a completely different truck that shares nothing with it other than the name, so it's essentially the same situation.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
JP76
The tundra has outsold the titan 6+ to 1 over the past. Discontinuing the titan was done because it does not make financial sense to continue making it. I suggest you research the financials of Nissan versus toyota and the reason the two are on different spectrums before committing to a large investment in a depreciating asset.
Dr. Nefario
WTF are you talking about? The question has to do with parts availability for a discontinued model. Both trucks are discontinued models so the situation is the same. And really, the situation isn't the same because Nissan is obligated to actively support the Titan until 2029/2030 when the warranty runs out on the last of the 2024 models.

Nobody is claiming the Tundra and Titan sales are anywhere near comparable or that the 2nd gen Tundra and Titan were discontinued for the same reasons. The Tundra was successful because Toyota was committed to breaking into the US half-ton truck market and marketed it brilliantly. Nissan never committed to the Titan or marketed it and it was largely overlooked by truck buyers.

If you're trying to imply Nissan may not be around in the next 10 years, that's just ridiculous, especially considering the huge leap forward the new models have taken now that Nissan is washing off the stink from Renault.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
Buck Turgidson
That would be more relevant if I was considering buying stock in Nissan or Toyota. Not so much for deciding which truck to buy.
moore42
AG
Can I make the not so obvious recommendation ? I'm a 2nd gen tundra lover, but now own a Tacoma with 255k miles (kids vehicle) and a Sierra 6.2 (no afm).

The 5.3 can be bulletproof for far less than the cost of a new truck. Replace everything with non-DOD/non-AFM, remove VVT.

Hell even put a truck Norris or something similar cam (at no additional cost cause you're buying a cam anyway) that gives you some power and nice sound.

Replace the torque converter with a circle D and you've got a solid truck that will run forever for about $4k invested (not counting new engine, yours may be repairable).

No way you can touch that price on a trade-in and buy new truck. Unless you just want a new truck…
Teslag
AG
JP76 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

2.7 F150. 3 in my family all with over 100k and none in the shop ever.

Better go buy some lotto tickets because you are one lucky dude

I think the 2.7 ecoboost has been pretty reliable and hasn't suffered the cam phaser issue of the 3.5
JP76
So what would it cost do all that and the new engine ? 10k ?
bam02
AG
Well it would cost your warranty for starters.
JP76
A 7 year old chevy is still under warranty ?
bam02
AG
Oh my bad. I misread as someone asking about doing that to a new engine.
JP76
Sell me on the titan because I just don't see the reasoning

Is it cheap ? The ones i see new even at 18-20% off msrp are still right at what a tundra cost.

Is the value there preowned due to the much higher depreciation rate ?

MS08
AG
Still rocking my '07 Tundra.
Used Low mileage recent ones come at a premium and they lack some nice features that my '07 SR5 which is wild to me. It seems like Toyota got really stagnant with their interior finish out, even regressed. Not sure what I want to do so I keep racking the mikes up. I've seen on this board talk about the 5.6 V8 in the Titan and how it is bullet proof as well. Also, can get a used Pro 4X or Platinum Reserve for good value. Something like this: I thought you would like this Certified 2018 Nissan Titan PRO-4X w/ Pro-4x Convenience Package for $33641 on Autotrader http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/2A8979E9.
JP76
Anyone care to clarify more on the tundra engine issue with actual numbers ?

From the data I have seen it has happened on ~ .5% of them. Of the failures 2/3 were on 10k oil interval changes versus 5k. The majority were on engines produced before march of 2023.
moore42
AG
JP76 said:

So what would it cost do all that and the new engine ? 10k ?

Why do you think you need a new engine? You might need some machine work, but doubt you need a new block.

But if that's the case, find one on marketplace or LKQ. Prolly won't be $1000-$1500, then start building from there.
TSJ
AG
JP76 said:

Anyone care to clarify more on the tundra engine issue with actual numbers ?

From the data I have seen it has happened on ~ .5% of them. Of the failures 2/3 were on 10k oil interval changes versus 5k. The majority were on engines produced before march of 2023.

The third gen tundra group on Facebook has a google doc for the engine failures. This is a voluntary self reported list. So far there are 80 failures. 73 are MY2022, 6 are MY2023, and 1 MY2024. Average failure mileage was between 29-30k miles.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17lX2NAC70TUArOpvdH7IQJKCX5E50vAXpeUogyH5shM/edit?usp=sharing
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
moore42 said:

Can I make the not so obvious recommendation ? I'm a 2nd gen tundra lover, but now own a Tacoma with 255k miles (kids vehicle) and a Sierra 6.2 (no afm).

The 5.3 can be bulletproof for far less than the cost of a new truck. Replace everything with non-DOD/non-AFM, remove VVT.

Hell even put a truck Norris or something similar cam (at no additional cost cause you're buying a cam anyway) that gives you some power and nice sound.

Replace the torque converter with a circle D and you've got a solid truck that will run forever for about $4k invested (not counting new engine, yours may be repairable).

No way you can touch that price on a trade-in and buy new truck. Unless you just want a new truck…

Can you explain to me what some of these terms mean? Generally interested because I'd like to keep the truck if possible but I don't want to keep throwing good money at bad.

Happy to read links or any material if that's easier.
TSW2012
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

moore42 said:

Can you explain to me what some of these terms mean? Generally interested because I'd like to keep the truck if possible but I don't want to keep throwing good money at bad.

Happy to read links or any material if that's easier.

Acronyms
DoD= displacement on demand turning V8 to V4
AFM= active fuel management basically same as the DOD
VVT= variable valve timing. Allows the computer to control valve timing in different engine conditions.

Basically all of the things he is talking about are putting an old school cam into the engine and tuning so that the engine is V8 all the time and has old school pushrods and timing.

Circle D makes torque converters that will last longer than the stock one in your transmission.
Ag03 CQE
AG
JP76 said:

Sell me on the titan because I just don't see the reasoning

Is it cheap ? The ones i see new even at 18-20% off msrp are still right at what a tundra cost.

Is the value there preowned due to the much higher depreciation rate ?

I bought a '21 Titan about a year and a half ago after cross shopping it against the '20-'21 Tundra. For me, the Titan was superior to the Tundra in every way that was important to me except long-term reliability and the Titan really isn't far behind the Tundra in that respect. I really liked the Tundra, but it was totally outclassed by the Titan. To me, and this is my personal opinion, the Titan drives much better than the Tundra and is light years ahead on technology. I would have had to jump up to the Tundra platinum trim to get the same options I got on my Titan at the SV trim level (nav, heated seats, blind spot monitoring, dual-zone climate control, push-button start). That put the Tundra at about $10k-$13k more than a similarly equipped Titan with similar mileage. Since I bought used, the depreciation definitely worked in my favor and since I will hold on to the truck for the next 10-15 years and 200k-300k+ miles, it really doesn't affect me.

Objectively speaking, the Tundra is better than the Titan at some things, those things just weren't important to me. The Tundra crewmax has a larger back seat than the Titan, although the Titan back seat is plenty big. The Tundra also has a slightly higher towing and payload rating, but I won't ever get close to maxing out the Titan, so it's not an issue for me. The Tundra also has better aftermarket support and there's a better online support network and expertise just due to the significantly higher number of Tundras out there.
moore42
AG
TSW2012 said:

Acronyms
VVT= variable valve timing. Allows the computer to control valve timing in different engine conditions.

Basically all of the things he is talking about are putting an old school cam into the engine and tuning so that the engine is V8 all the time and has old school pushrods and timing.

Circle D makes torque converters that will last longer than the stock one in your transmission.

Thanks TSW.

OP - where are you located. It might be best to get you in touch with a local LS shop and they can steer you in the right direction.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, changing lifters, cam, etc are all fairly easily done. if not, use a local LS shop. You will need someone to tune for the deactivation of DOD and VVT, and for the new cam. That should cost around $500, but was already considered in the price i gave you.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
moore42 said:

TSW2012 said:

Acronyms

Thanks TSW.

OP - where are you located. It might be best to get you in touch with a local LS shop and they can steer you in the right direction.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, changing lifters, cam, etc are all fairly easily done. if not, use a local LS shop. You will need someone to tune for the deactivation of DOD and VVT, and for the new cam. That should cost around $500, but was already considered in the price i gave you.

I am located in College Station. Ironically I ran into the dad of one of my old highschool classmates today and he told me about a Range Module to help keep the truck always running in v8.

But the $4K doesn't sound crazy if it means I can eliminate problem issues before they arrive more as I put more miles on the truck
Silvy
AG
If the valvetrain issue is already there, it's too late to try mitigating the issue with one of those modules.

Best thing to do is find a reputable speed shop that specializes in GM LS/LT work. They'll know what all an AFM delete entails and if they don't, they're not a reputable shop. Transmission is next weak link, a good tune may be able to save you from a rebuild. Depends on how worn your torque converter clutch is.
moore42
AG
Ditto what silvy says. The module doesn't fix the problem once lifters start to fail. It really doesn't fix the problem even if you install day one, it just prolongs the life of the lifters before they fail. They still will fail.

Surely someone here can give a rec on a good shop in BCS?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
moore42 said:

Ditto what silvy says. The module doesn't fix the problem once lifters start to fail. It really doesn't fix the problem even if you install day one, it just prolongs the life of the lifters before they fail. They still will fail.

Surely someone here can give a rec on a good shop in BCS?

For anyone looking to answer - I have the truck currently being worked on by Tim Dunham off Hwy 21. Got his rec from a close family friend

That being said - am definitely open to hearing about other shops that can help
nealan
JP76
Thanks for the data
JP76
What are you looking to do ?

I have a few friends in Bryan who tinker with ls motors but mainly turbos and swaps etc.
idAg09
Any concerns with the Toyota Safety Sense auto braking long-term wise with the 2018+ models?

I have an 18 and almost traded down to a 2017 this year to avoid long term issues but decided not to last minute to avoid dealership hassle. I've had no issues since new but that's always in the back of my mind since I plan on keeping it for a long time
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.