Meet the leader of Aggieland Chevrolet

14,211 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor,
Greg Gunn
Managing Partner
Aggieland Chevrolet:

I am the in-town business owner of Aggieland Chevrolet who manages the day-to-day operations of a small business that serves all of Brazos Valley and surrounding areas with their vehicle sales and service needs.

I spent my formative years going to junior high and high school in Willis, Texas which is about an hour from here. After high school graduation 1987 I left home and drove to Boston to start my building career as a carpenter. Upon returning to Texas in 1992 I got into home improvement, remodeling, design and building services.

My best friend of 32 years is Shelley, and we just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary earlier this year. We have 2 children, a son Clayton and daughter Corey. and we have 3 beautiful grandchildren, twins Hayden(girl) and Landon(boy) that will be 8 this fall. Lincoln is their little brother, and he will be 4 this fall. If I get my way, all 3 will attend Texas A&M. They are a handful and such a blessing. All of them like being up at the dealership with me. My oldest grandson is really into trucks he has already picked out a black Trail Boss 1500 Silverado.

When I am not working, I enjoy offshore fishing, spending time with my children and grandchildren. My wife and I like traveling. Now at 55 years old I have decided to start golfing since I can now hit from the white tees. We also enjoy Aggie sports.

When I was offered GM position here and to be the owner operator of Aggieland Chevrolet, I was extremely honored to be giving such an opportunity. This is a huge responsibility. I have been in automotive since 2007 when I left the building industry after 14 years and started a new career selling vehicles. In the last 35 years I have obtained a wealth of knowledge in sales, construction, finance, customer service, leadership, development and community.

While I have only been here a short time, just over 2 and half years, I am very proud of the relationships we have developed, and the partnerships forged. In these 30 months, we have made charitable contributions just under $400,000 and are on our way to a total of over a million in the next few years. The list is long and continues growing each year. We try to accommodate as many organizations and charities as possible. This is such a blessing to be able to give back. Here is just a partial list of the charities we have supported:
Coach Gary Blair Charity, Aggie Anglers, Local chapters CCA, Aggieland CCA, NRA, Ducks Unlimited
Brazos Valley Boys and Girls Club, Big Brother/Big Sister. Brazos Youth Livestock Show & Auction
Bluebonnets StreetRod'ers Annual Meet, Bryan American Legion Boys State Convention
Allen Academy Folds of Honor, Brazos Valley Cares Steak your support, Operation Safe Shield
OPAS Encore Gala, AHA Heart Ball Gala, Hispanic Forum Gala, Texas A & M Coaches Night
BCS marathon, Junior Achievement, Twin City Mission, Bryan ISD Teacher Education Foundation.

Aggieland Chevrolet is committed to being a great partner to this wonderful community.
There are many Aggie graduates at the top and sprinkled all throughout. We typically have 15 to 20 Aggie interns each year.

Even though Aggieland Chevrolet is part of a larger privately owned dealer group, I run Aggieland Chevrolet. My partners have entrusted me with handling the day-to-day aspects of business. While I can't control or change anything that has happened at other dealerships in our group, I am very proud of my team here at Aggieland Chevrolet. Most of all we value relationships in our community, with customers and our employees.

Since I have been here, we have added 3 GM Master Certified Technicians and double the total number of technicians, Service Advisors and Parts Dept employees. All of these increases were made to handle the growing needs of our community. While it hasn't been without obvious growING pains, we have earned consecutive General Motors "Mark of Excellence" & "Elite Dealer" for 2002 & 2023. We are on track to do it again in 2024.

We currently employ 8 former members of our US military. We have 5 TAMU graduates employed with us. One of last year's interns has worked all year part time and is committed to joining our team full time after he graduates in 2025. We currently have 2 interns finishing their 8-week internship at the end of July.

I am confident Aggieland Chevrolet will strive to live up to the core values of a business in Aggieland where traditions run deep.

Jbob04
AG
Not this again.
TxAg20
AG
I'll save a few of you a step; this is a Keating Auto Group dealership.
Teslag
AG
Quote:

Even though Aggieland Chevrolet is part of a larger privately owned dealer group, I run Aggieland Chevrolet.

I'd distance from Keating too if I were you
big ben
AG
Scumbags
Lone Stranger
Aggie Traditions and Keating dealerships don't seem to connect much in the historical Venn Diagram of older TexAgs threads.
Dogdoc
AG
Between the outdoor board and this board, I applaud you for your bravery. Maybe take some time, research, and correct the issues that have given your dealership a bad name. Aggies don't lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.
Naveronski
AG
I'm sure the dishonest management and business practices at Keating are long gone, otherwise TexAgs staff wouldn't have taken all their advertising money.
rancher1953
Never Never Never DO BUSINESS WITH ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH A KEATING DEALERSHIP. This auto group should all be in state or federal prison for what they do to the elderly,
dubi
AG
TxAg20 said:

I'll save a few of you a step; this is a Keating Auto Group dealership.
It is pretty funny that they are trying to hide relationship, but I do understand as their last post didn't fare too well.

Perhaps Keating could sponsor the GB?
fixer
Why does every Keating Auto Group have these kinds of introductions? It is weird.
Chewy
AG
Quote:

Even though Aggieland Chevrolet is part of a larger privately owned dealer group, I run Aggieland Chevrolet. My partners have entrusted me with handling the day-to-day aspects of business. While I can't control or change anything that has happened at other dealerships in our group, I am very proud of my team here at Aggieland Chevrolet. Most of all we value relationships in our community, with customers and our employees.
There is absolutely something you can do. Have Ben Keating come on here and address the issues at the other dealerships.

At the end of the day, giving money to Aggieland Chevrolet is giving money to a person that cares more about money in his pocket than being fair to his customers.

Plausible deniability is no excuse for those that actually have the power to make changes.
rancher1953
The Keating Dealerships and those associated with it show remember this. NEVER NEVER NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM

lb3
AG

Honestly, I'm surprised TexAgs chooses to do business with this cheating business. When I was at NW Hyundai buying a car I knew the Keating reputation so I was prepared and caught their finance guy trying to change the loan terms.
maroon barchetta
Why does that surprise you?
lb3
AG
Because it's not good for anyone when your customer base and advertisers are odds with each other.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Eesh. This is brutal.
TxAg20
AG
lb3 said:

Because it's not good for anyone when your customer base and advertisers are odds with each other.

You and I are not Texags customers, Keating is. Our attention is simply the product Texags sells to their customers.
lb3
AG
TxAg20 said:

lb3 said:

You and I are not Texags customers, Keating is. Our attention is simply the product Texags sells to their customers.
We both have stars. That separates us from the MyFace and InstaTube users who are purely products to be sold.
The Wonderer
AG
In.
ElephantRider
AG
lb3 said:

TxAg20 said:

lb3 said:

We both have stars. That separates us from the MyFace and InstaTube users who are purely products to be sold.
I don't have stars anymore partly because of things like this. TexAgs only cares about $$$.

That and the sunshine pumping.
jh0400
AG
lb3 said:

Honestly, I'm surprised TexAgs chooses to do business with this cheating business. When I was at NW Hyundai buying a car I knew the Keating reputation so I was prepared and caught their finance guy trying to change the loan terms.

You must have missed the threads where the same posters on **** on Keating can't change their tune fast enough whenever a certain Keating dealership employee posts his latest supercar.
lb3
AG
We can respect flatout's car collection without respecting how he earned that money.
jh0400
AG
Doesn't that meet the threshold of "tolerate those"?
lb3
AG
jh0400 said:

Doesn't that meet the threshold of "tolerate those"?
I don't think anyone should be cancelled but I do think about Keating customers when I see his threads.

On the rare occasion when he gets involved in a public customer dispute on these forums, the auto board doesn't show him any leniency simply because he drives nice cars.

I post on F16 and I would hope my takes (and trips to banned camp) on that forum would have little impact on my participation over here.
RafterAg223
AG
No thanks, I'm tired of literally being sold a bill of goods I never expressed interest in when I walk in to sign the papers.
KRamp90
AG
I bet Keating and Covert have weekly meetings at an undisclosed location, to find new ways to screw people over...
Chewy
AG
I'm curious if Aggieland Chevrolet pre-installs Apex Protect on every vehicle.

For the benefit of the customer, of course.
FLATOUT
AG
Another warm Texags Auto Board welcome I see.

Anyways, great to see you on here Greg. Love Greg, he's one of the great Partners in our Auto Group and we are VERY fortunate to have him here operating our local Chevy store. We work together all of the time and he's a great guy and an exceptional operator.

And don't @ me. I have been posting on this auto board since I was a young business student at Texas A&M. I have spent plenty of time on this board doing whatever I could to help in some of the situations that were brought up here at stores of ours in other metro areas, and in many circumstances I was able to help. I have done nothing but try to add value to this board whenever I could, as well as run a great business here in College Station.

I've had several of you come see me at my office simply because you wanted to learn more about the auto business and I have always taken the time to work on the relationship between my store and this forum. Greg is no different, if you had an issue at his store he would be the first one to jump in and see what he could do to help.
FLATOUT
AG
Chewy said:

I'm curious if Aggieland Chevrolet pre-installs Apex Protect on every vehicle.

For the benefit of the customer, of course.

If you are referring to our GPS theft recovery product, of course. That's how we track our own inventory if it gets stolen. Damn near every dealer in the US installs some sort of theft recovery device the minute a new or used vehicle gets put on their lot. How do you think we recover stolen vehicles when that inventory is our livelihood. When most of you think of Grand Theft Auto you think of a video game or a buddies car that got stolen out of the local apartment complex, when in fact the most sophisticated car theft rings target dealers. They'll come in a pick off cars, and they'll be in Mexico before you know it.

I have consistently read on this board that we somehow have this expansive data base of real time data logging through these devices on all sold units. Do you have any idea how illegal that is? The minute a vehicle leaves our store that device is transferred to the customer. In my career I have had two instances where I desperately needed the info on where a vehicle that we recently sold was due to fraud and I was denied access even as a Partner in the store that sold it. Both times I had to write off the complete value of the vehicle because I couldn't get to it quick enough because I couldn't get the GPS data because it had already been transferred to the new "owner". Conspiracy theories are more fun to read and talk about but it's ridiculous.

Chewy
AG
That makes sense on using it for your protection. I actually hadn't thought of that. Appreciate that explanation.

However, why don't yall offer to remove it for the customer? Based on threads here it sounds like it's never offered.

Is it essentially a LoJack style system offered free of charge to the customer? There is zero data tracking by any party?

I only know what is posted on TexAgs. It sounds like a device the customer isn't fully aware and offers data tracking without their knowledge.

Any clarification is appreciated.
dubi
AG
We didn't know about the tracker until the dash cam went in on my 2019 Sante Fe and we found the wiring. It was actually helpful as we used the power pigtail for the dash cam and 1Ags didn't have to do any new wiring.

FYI: you can get the sim card out of the tracker and actually use it without paying for service.
FLATOUT
AG
Chewy said:

That makes sense on using it for your protection. I actually hadn't thought of that. Appreciate that explanation.

However, why don't yall offer to remove it for the customer? Based on threads here it sounds like it's never offered.

Is it essentially a LoJack style system offered free of charge to the customer? There is zero data tracking by any party?

I only know what is posted on TexAgs. It sounds like a device the customer isn't fully aware and offers data tracking without their knowledge.

Any clarification is appreciated.

Any customer that purchases a vehicle (new or used) with that device absolutely is made aware of it, if it is being sold at one of our locations. If it was traded in somewhere else than no, they are most likely not aware of it because they themselves might not even know it was on the vehicle to begin with.

But anyone can call Apex and make sure it's off or pull it out of the vehicle all together. It's all been made to look by this board to be some sinister plot to track all of the Texag Auto Board members but it's just a theft recovery device, and one that is frankly a basic commodity in todays auto business. They are everywhere, some just have a few added features that can provide more value to the customer.

I sell cars every day where the price of that unit or any other what we would call "hard adds" are negotiated off the sale price of the vehicle. And yes I have removed them completely for customers if it is a deal breaker. Some stores are more flexible than others but at the end of the day we make our own unique decisions at our stores. I doubt Greg would want to miss your business over a theft recovery device.

Addendums aren't new to the automotive industry and certainly aren't a "Keating" invention.
dubi
AG
We never paid for the Apex system on any of our Hyundai's so i give you a pass on this. Folks just need to say no when presented with that product on the sales worksheet.
FLATOUT
AG
Sorry for derailing this thread any more that it already was, and I would rather not get into a bunch of back and forth in Aggielands thread. I really just wanted to come in here because of the great job that Greg does at Aggieland and because my name came up.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.