Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Does anyone cycle creatine?

2,308 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AgShaun00
JBLHAG03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I never have but see constant conflicting info online. just curious if anyone thinks it is necessary over the course if several years.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
You mean instead of just continuously using it?
JBLHAG03
AG
Correct

" Some say that cycling creatine, or taking breaks between creatine supplementation, can help you maximize the benefits of the supplement. Cycling can help you store more creatine, which can lead to more energy for muscle gains. It can also help your muscles work harder for longer."
MRB10
AG
I take 5g monohydrate every day. No cycling.
AgShaun00
AG
No cycling

Huberman with dr Andy galphin talk about this. Also Peter Attia. None say to cycle.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Is there an explanation anywhere beyond "muscles can store more if cycling" that gives an actual physiological explanation as to why this would be true?
Not trying to make you do homework, just curious.
jtraggie99
AG
How would using it less frequently (by cycling instead of daily) lead to storing more of it? I'm curious about these peoples rationale.
BassCowboy33
I've been into creatine for well over a decade. I'm in the minority that prefer HCl over mono.

To answer the question, no, I take it every day. I've asked my doctor about cycling, and he tells me I could take it every day for the rest of my life and it would be fine without any added benefit if cycling.

With mono, you'll often here people talk about a loading phases and such, but I always hated the bloat.

The only thing I "cycle" is protein powder, which I take daily during my cuts.

Whatever you do, stay away from gear. That stuff is bad news.
Quinn
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I've been into creatine for well over a decade. I'm in the minority that prefer HCl over mono.

To answer the question, no, I take it every day. I've asked my doctor about cycling, and he tells me I could take it every day for the rest of my life and it would be fine without any added benefit if cycling.

With mono, you'll often here people talk about a loading phases and such, but I always hated the bloat.

Why stay away from it?
True Anomaly
AG
Quinn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Why stay away from it?
The risk/benefit ratio is WAY off

Unless you make a TON of money off your physique, I really question the value of doing actual steroids given the very well known side effects, up to and including early death
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
What is gear?
BassCowboy33
Quinn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Why stay away from it?

Terrible for the arteries and heart. Hair loss. Shrinks your nuts. Gyno. The list goes on.
BassCowboy33
FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

What is gear?

Steroids.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Creatine is literally the best supplement you can take for weight lifting and physical fitness. It is the most researched supplement and has been around since the 20s or 30s. Outside of someone trying to maintain the lowest body fit possible and appear as lean as possible, there is really no reason not to take it.

It helps with brain function, energy during your workout, increased volume in your muscles, and a few other things. Some people have stomach discomfort from it but I have never had any issues.

I have been consistently taking creatine for about 15 years and only "cycle off" when I am not working out. I'm usually taking it 5-6 days a week with zero issues and even my urinalysis reflects a higher number but still within normal range.

Take it, don't load it, and don't cycle it - you won't regret it!
Quinn
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Quinn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Why stay away from it?

Terrible for the arteries and heart. Hair loss. Shrinks your nuts. Gyno. The list goes on.
Gyno?
CC09LawAg
Puffy nips
BassCowboy33
Quinn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Quinn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Why stay away from it?

Gyno?

The growth of breast tissue in men as a side effect of pumping testosterone into your body at super high rates. Body compensates by upping the estrogen.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Gynecomastia - buildup of breast tissue aka "b*tch tits"
P.U.T.U
AG
I cycle my creatine, meaning sometimes I forget or am bad about taking it for a bit before I remember I need to get back on it
Hincemm
AG
Saw someone mention that it helps with workouts. Does that imply you take it preworkout? I've always done creatine post. Don't know what the science here objectively says
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The science says it doesn't really matter. For pure convenience, I mix with pre-workout.
BassCowboy33
Hincemm said:

Saw someone mention that it helps with workouts. Does that imply you take it preworkout? I've always done creatine post. Don't know what the science here objectively says

As someone mentioned, creatine can be taken at any time. Protein powder is best taken within 1 hour after a workout. After that, its effectiveness diminishes.
MouthBQ98
AG
I thought it somehow causes a higher level of ATP production and causes cells to draw in more water along with some of that ATP so you have more short term energy on tap. Theoretically you can work out a bit harder, which when paired with good protein supplementation, can help you build a bit more muscle.

I notice people on it tend to look a bit bigger but not leaner, like they get a bit swollen up on water. I guess that's part of the process maybe?

I take preworkout but never focused on creatine specifically.
jtraggie99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I thought it somehow causes a higher level of ATP production and causes cells to draw in more water along with some of that ATP so you have more short term energy on tap. Theoretically you can work out a bit harder, which when paired with good protein supplementation, can help you build a bit more muscle.

I notice people on it tend to look a bit bigger but not leaner, like they get a bit swollen up on water. I guess that's part of the process maybe?

The primary purpose of creatine is to aid in the production of ATP from ADP. one of the body's main energy sources. You're essentially providing excess creatine to maximize ATP production during bouts of intense muscle contraction. There can be some water retention when you first start using it, but nothing overly significant in my experience and by most accounts it doesn't last over long periods.
BassCowboy33
MouthBQ98 said:

That's on mono, especially when/if you do a loading phase. The bloat eventually goes away when you go back to normal dosage. HCl doesn't cause bloat and doesn't require loading.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This

There is absolutely water retention in the muscle cells caused by creatine. Is it noticeable on most people? Usually not in a fluffy bad way… if you're sub 10% BF and getting ready for a competition, probably would notice a difference.

The biggest thing I notice when not taking creatine, which is very rarely, is decreased endurance during workout. I believe I have better endurance/energy during the workout which helps me lift longer and stronger.

I don't think I would recommend another supplement but I will creatine any day of the week
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You don't need to do the loading phase. Just jump straight to 5grams and call it a day.
BassCowboy33
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You don't need to do the loading phase. Just jump straight to 5grams and call it a day.

Yep. I have a conspiracy theory that the "loading phase" is a way for companies to make more money.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am pretty sure that is at least 98% accurate
2girlsdad
I take 12g per day, but not for just muscle endurance/strength. Increased doses can help with brain function. I figure since it's cheap, if some gets excreted in urine, no biggie.
P.U.T.U
AG
Honestly I take creatine more for the brain health than I do for the muscle building
harge57
AG
Anyone else notice hair loss or other side effects from creatine?

I started taking it 10 years ago and noticed immediate hair loss and extreme dry eyes at night so stopped. Kind of forgot about that and started again this year, and noticed the exact same side effects so stopped again.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Never been an issue for me
P.U.T.U
AG
Never heard of the hair loss but through the years I have noticed if I do not drink enough water my eyes get dry, especially in the mornings and evenings. Creatine pulls water into your cells and if there is no water it does not work as well
BassCowboy33
Never been a problem for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.