***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,353,033 Views | 60922 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Beat40
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
iamtheglove said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

This is concerning. Depending on what actually happened I assume baseball would potentially dole out some suspensions.
The Padres feed had a small clip of the aftermath, and it wasn't as big of a deal as they made it out to be. Lots of "hold me back bro" going on and shouting. Not a near fight as they described it.
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

SIAP but this was very interesting thing to find out about the ump last night

Only one small problem, O'Nora was the 3B ump and not behind the plate. Now in my imaginary sceanario I posted above he should have been in a huddle with Miller or even ran to him to let him know he had a better angle on it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Only one small problem, O'Nora was the 3B ump and not behind the plate. Now in my imaginary sceanario I posted above he should have been in a huddle with Miller or even ran to him to let him know he had a better angle on it.
He had home plate Monday night. That's what led to it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Clanton seems to be blurring the facts a little, as if O'Nora and the other 14 people were all in on this together and it was some sort of trafficking offense.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2921363-mlb-umpire-brian-onora-among-14-arrested-in-ohio-human-trafficking-sting

Attempted to solicit a hooker online

It was a police sting.

According to a copy of the police report obtained by USA TODAY Sports, O'Nora was arrested after he responded to an online advertisement in which authorities posed as a female prostitute named Kandi. O'Nora allegedly called the phone number in the ad Sunday evening and used what authorities described as "implicit and or explicit language" to express that he wanted to "engage in sexual activity for hire with Kandi."

The release from the sheriff's office

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Media/News-Releases/December-2020/14-Arrested-in-Liberty-Township-Human-Trafficking

Fourteen men were arrested during a single-day human trafficking operation that targeted individuals seeking to buy sex via the internet, Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost and Liberty Township Police Chief Toby Meloro announced today.

The operation, which took place on Sunday, was conducted by the Liberty Township Police Department in cooperation with the Mahoning Valley Human Trafficking Task Force, a task force under the attorney general's Ohio Organized Crime Investigations Commission.

"John stings deter those seeking to purchase sex reducing the demand for human trafficking and serve as a reminder that these crimes are more prevalent and closer to home than you may think," Yost said. "Hats off to Chief Meloro and the Liberty Township Police Department on their successful operation."

All I do is Nguyen
So someone from the media is living up to the media standard, go it.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
iamtheglove
Prosperdick said:

Mathguy64 said:

Oh there is no doubt he was getting tossed. But it's the second time this season it's happened to him and I think he just lost his mind. I don't really blame him.

The bigger issue is (a) this idiot not asking for help and (b) the fact that this is somehow not reviewable. It's a factual event. You can see the ball hit his foot and chance direction. Get on the damn headset and let someone with a HD monitor see that and reverse the call.
I need to rewatch but did he really not ask any of the other umpires for their assistance, especially Brian O'Nora at 3B? That's exactly why you get them all together in a huddle with one other umpire acting as a bouncer to keep any players away so they can talk privately and candidly.

Miller: "So Brian, are you 100% sure it hit his foot from your vantage point?"
O'Nora: "Yeah, 100% it hit his foot."
Miller: "OK good enough for me, I had a tough angle on it."

See how f***ing easy that was?

We've all seen that MANY times and almost EVERY time the ump comes out of the huddle making the correct call. But not this jack ass, didn't even ask for help.

ETA - Just rewatched and NOPE, never asked for help. Altuve probably should have waited to take his shoe off or not at all but Espada was pleading for him to ask for help but he wouldn't. Very definition of an ego driven ump who should be fired this morning but hell, he probably will get commended by Mandfred.

And Joe was clearing asking him to check with the 3base ump. You can read Miller's lips when he is talking to Joe, looks like he says multiple times "I've got the call".
tjack16
AG
Got the presale email for wild card and ALDS.

I have a feeling we will get screwed over and get all the early games since it'll be us vs most likely the Twins and then Cleveland
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hornbeck
AG
Ag_07 said:

And why the F are umpires having to call NY for a rule interpretation?

Shouldn't the umps know the rules? That's their job.

That's even worse than missing a blatant call. At least there's judgement involved in missing a call.

Dude *teaches* at the umpire academy. And he doesn't know the rules.
tjack16
AG
My solution to help replay review. This works for ALL sports that use the replay challenges

Send the play to replay without them knowing the call on the field. They make the call based on only what they see… there's not need for "irrefutable evidence to overturn". They look at the play, make the call without any knowledge of what the call was before. It either gets confirmed or not.

I hate the "well there just wasn't enough to overturn the call" excuse. Replay is supposed to be the unbiased 3rd party
Farmer1906
AG
I disagree with this. The umpire / ref / etc has a view that the cameras do not. They may have seen something clearly and the cameras do not.
TarponChaser
tjack16 said:

My solution to help replay review. This works for ALL sports that use the replay challenges

Send the play to replay without them knowing the call on the field. They make the call based on only what they see… there's not need for "irrefutable evidence to overturn". They look at the play, make the call without any knowledge of what the call was before. It either gets confirmed or not.

I hate the "well there just wasn't enough to overturn the call" excuse. Replay is supposed to be the unbiased 3rd party

Good idea.

And I hate the idea that foul balls aren't reviewable. I don't even know why they aren't. There's claims about continuity of play but how often do you see a play go on in football after a fumble (for example a scoop & score) where the refs let it play out only to overturn on replay and say "runner was down before the ball came out, ball will be placed at X-yard line, Y-down"???

Hell it might force some baseball players to hustle more if they know a ball that's questionably fair/foul could be overturned? A ball that nicks the foul line and is fair by a tiny amount could be an XB hit and runs when they're not running hard because they think it's foul.
JABQ04
AG
Just wanted to say the dude I chose to defend at all costs at the start of the season saved the day last night.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

SECcess12
I thought Dana was hugging Joe from behind at first glance. I was like...interesting photo choice.
dcaggie04
AG
If you are talking about balls that would hit the foul line after passing the bases, then that is already reviewable.
htxag09
AG
dcaggie04 said:

If you are talking about balls that would hit the foul line after passing the bases, then that is already reviewable.
I assume he's talking about tips, etc. like the recent Bregman situation. Or even yesterday's Altuve situation.

Edit: nm, read the post you were replying to.
TarponChaser
htxag09 said:

dcaggie04 said:

I assume he's talking about tips, etc. like the recent Bregman situation. Or even yesterday's Altuve situation.

Edit: nm, read the post you were replying to.

All of the above.

I could have sworn foul balls past the bases are only reviewable on potential home runs.
tjack16
AG
JABQ04 said:

Just wanted to say the dude I chose to defend at all costs at the start of the season saved the day last night.

Mine had to get TJ but would have gotten us a bye (Javier)
EastCoastAgNc
AG

That's a letdown for every other team in mlb
Mathguy64
AG
He gave up 6 runs in 2/3 IP yesterday.
W
AG
Kimbrel has played for 8 different teams

that should be a Hall of Fame disqualifier right there
Farmer1906
AG
Gaylord Perry & Rickey Henderson played for 7 8 and 9. You wanna remove them from the HOF?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
That is pretty ideal.
Chef Elko
AG
Bring it on!
linkdude
AG
Setting up the rotation to have a little bit of flexibility in Cleveland and beyond, also it seems likely the team won't have JV on a Wild Card roster, IMO
gambochaman
AG
Today's game time kinda sucks for a getaway game with no off day tomorrow

Team gonna end up getting home well after midnight
07ag
AG
W said:

Kimbrel has played for 8 different teams

that should be a Hall of Fame disqualifier right there
https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-fame/hall-of-famers-seven-or-more-teams
https://ts.la/eric59704
jkag89
Farmer1906 said:

Gaylord Perry & Rickey Henderson played for 7. You wanna remove them from the HOF?
Rickey played for nine: A's, Damn Yankees, Blue Jays, Friars, Halos, Mets, Mermen, BoSox and Effin' Dodgers.
and Perry eight: Giants, Indians, Arlington, Friars, Damn Yankees, Braves, Merman and Royals

HofFers that have played for seven or more teams:
Alomar, Roberto 7
Brouthers, Dan 11
Gossage, Goose 9
Grimes, Burleigh 7
Henderson, Rickey 9
Hoyt, Waite 7
Kelly, King 7
O'Rourke, Jim 8
Perry, Gaylord 8
Simmons, Al 7
Smith, Lee 8
White, Deacon 9
Wilhelm, Hoyt 9

Edit: Dang too slow.
Farmer1906
AG
Assuming we're in the WC series (safe assumption at this point) here is how pitching lays out. Its kind of wild that we basically only need 3 starters except for 2 games even if it goes a full 3, 5, 7. (1 game if we win the WC in 2)

10/1 - WC1 - Framber
10/2 - WC2 - Brown
10/3 - WC3 - Kikuchi
--
10/5 - DS1 - Blanco
10/7 - DS2 - Framber (6 days rest)
10/9 - DS3 - Brown (7)
10/10 - DS4 - Kikuchi (7)
10/12 - DS5 - Framber (5)
--
10/14 - CS1 - Brown (5)
10/15 - CS2 - Kikuchi (5)
10/17 - CS3 - Framber (5)
10/18 - CS4 - Blanco
10/19 - CS5 - Brown (5)
10/21 - CS6 - Kikuchi (6)
10/22 - CS7 - Framber (5)

This begs the question, where does JV fit in? Do you give JV the starts in the DS opener with Blanco ready to jump in at a moment's notice?

If we're building our postseason roster - who do you want on it?

SP
Framber
Brown
Kikuchi

Swing/Piggyback
Verlander
Blanco
Spaghetti

Closer
Hader

High Leverage
Pressly
Abreu

Med Leverage
Neris
Scott

"Low" Leverage (no such thing in Oct)

Do you drop one of the swing starters for Seth? 3rd lefty? What do you do if Graveman rehabs just in time?
Pahdz
Damn Lee Smith played for that many teams?

I guess it makes sense for closers because they'll bounce around as JAG bullpen arms a lot.
McInnis
AG
I was surprised to see that Rickey Henderson played for nine different teams. But I looked it up. He actually played for one team, Oakland, three different time and played for San Diego twice.
Farmer1906
AG
For those wondering why Kikuchi over Blanco.
1. He's been better the last 6 weeks.
2. The org has already started moving Blanco to the bullpen. He's got more experience there.

AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

For those wondering why Kikuchi over Blanco.
1. He's been better the last 6 weeks.
2. The org has already started moving Blanco to the bullpen. He's got more experience there.

I think its more because Blanco has blown through his previous #'s of innings pitched and more about saving his arm some.
First Page Last Page
Page 1709 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.