***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,342,402 Views | 60851 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by JB!98
Chef Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeeeeah I'm out to anything resembling the Chapman deal. Already too much deadweight with older players being injured although we do have some of that falling off the books.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

yep, the "locking up your core" phenomenon that started 5 years ago or so...

is taking on water as more long-term signed players...turn out to be very average or injury-prone or both

The Julio, Wander, & Tatis deals don't look nearly as good as they did a few years ago.
W
AG
speaking of George...

his decline in Toronto has not been pretty

OPS by year:

2021 ---> .907 at age 31
2022 ---> .814
2023 ---> .732
2024 ---> .686

giving long contracts and big money to guys over the age of 30 is very risky business
JohnnyTexAg1995
AustinCountyAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

I don't think he takes 4/90. Or more correctly Boras tells him that he can get more. And I suspect someone will offer him Matt Chapman money.
I think Bregman will have to decide between taking less money, and staying in Houston and most likely winning and continuing what he's been able to do since he got called up. OR possibly taking the route of Springer and Correa and playing in purgatory.

Part of me can see him taking less, because he seems like the kind of guy who hates losing, but at the same time being married with a child now I can see him going for the $.

Either way, I want Tuck way the hell more than I want Bregman.
i think a very strong argument that has to be made to breggy is that even if we offer less money, with how much he is loved here and his businesses he probably makes that money up in salsa and bbq sauce sales and HEB commercials!
Hulla Baller
AG
W said:

speaking of George...

OPS by year:

2021 ---> .907 at age 31
2022 ---> .814
2023 ---> .732
2024 ---> .686

giving long contracts and big money to guys over the age of 30 is very risky business
Can we bring him back next season?
agproducer
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Anyone heard from 2015? He kind of disappeared after the trade deadline
How odd, first I thought he got a ban, but I remember seeing him on the Texans' thread right before the first game.

he's only posted 4-5 times in the last month. He doesn't have stars so can't PM him unfortunately.
I think he said a while back that he couldn't stand the negativity on this thread during the games, so he was going to take time away.

I miss his takes and insider info.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hornbeck said:

One thing that is going to play into the Bregman deal is the condition of his throwing elbow. From what I've heard, it's bone spurs in his elbow. Hopefully he can get that repaired, and be right back at it next year, but it could turn into a LMJ or an Uncle Mike type situation. If I'm Dana, short term is the only thing I'd do.
Alex had bone spurs in his elbow after 2018 too. Once the ALCS was over he got surgery and was back for spring training.
agproducer
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hornbeck said:

One thing that is going to play into the Bregman deal is the condition of his throwing elbow. From what I've heard, it's bone spurs in his elbow. Hopefully he can get that repaired, and be right back at it next year, but it could turn into a LMJ or an Uncle Mike type situation. If I'm Dana, short term is the only thing I'd do.
Alex had bone spurs in his elbow after 2018 too. Once the ALCS was over he got surgery and was back for spring training.
Then he had a monster 2019 with the juiced Judge baseballs.
cc10106
Framber will be a FA after next year as well. Is it a foregone conclusion that he's going to get a big contract elsewhere after how he's rebounded this season?
W
AG
he has 2 years left on his contract

could be a trade deadline acquisition if the Blue Jays will eat part of his 2026 salary
W
AG
speaking of Framber...

Dana's actions at the trade deadline this year...show he values starting pitching above all else

maybe Framber is Dana's true #1 resign target -- and not Bregman or Tucker
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

could be a trade deadline acquisition if the Blue Jays will eat part of his 2026 salary

Why would you want him?
cc10106
I assume he will try hard to bring Kikuchi back. Seems like Framber will want to be a free agent, but that's just speculation.
Hulla Baller
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Why would you want him?
How does Springer compare to Jake and Chas?
Faustus
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Why would you want him?
Fangraphs has him at -6.7 defensively to go with the atrophied bat. His fWAR is 1.5.

Baseball Reference has him at -.5 dWAR to go with a bWAR of 1.5.

We already have an outfielder who is a negative fielder in Yordan (-15.5 on Fangraphs, and -1.3 dWAR on Baseball Reference).

At this point in his career he's a below average bat and a liability in the field, and trending to be worse.
Farmer1906
AG
Hulla Baller said:

Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Why would you want him?

Better, but not by a lot and not costing near the same. George can't even play CF now.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

you could say the same for the mariners
SpaceCityAg05
AG
George was never going to age well as the typical athleticism-dependent OF who also plays the game really hard. Even with us in his prime he struggled to avoid injuries from his style of play and you knew that would seriously catch up to him in his 30s.

With free agents (especially Boras free agents) it is always about the money. But Bregman ought to be thinking really hard about the details beyond the contract. For someone who is so intense and obsessive when it comes to baseball, he cannot take for granted what he has here: since his first full big-league season, he has NEVER experienced a season where he wasn't playing ball in mid-to-late October.

For such a competitor, I wonder what would happen to him mentally the first time he plays for a team that misses the postseason or is a quick 2-3 and out, because that is what life normally looks like for most teams. He should not take for granted what he is a part of here in the "golden era."
Faustus
Hulla Baller said:

Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Why would you want him?
Chas is off the charts bad this year (-.2 fWAR and -.6 bWAR).

Jake has a 1.3 bWAR and a 1.9 fWAR compared to Springer's 1.5 in each. Jake's value is in his defense, while Springer's value is in his declining bat.

Mostly though Jake has 3 Arb years left, while George has two more years at $24.166 million each.
Hulla Baller
AG
Faustus said:

Hulla Baller said:

Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Why would you want him?
Chas is off the charts bad this year (-.2 fWAR and -.6 bWAR).

Jake has a 1.3 bWAR and a 1.9 fWAR compared to Springer's 1.5 in each. Jake's value is in his defense, while Springer's value is in his declining bat.

Mostly though Jake has 3 Arb years left, while George has two more years at $24.166 million each.
Good points. I'd rather save that money to resign Alex IMO.
Mr.Bond
AG
W said:

speaking of George...

OPS by year:

2021 ---> .907 at age 31
2022 ---> .814
2023 ---> .732
2024 ---> .686

True. But Alex is at a position that gets hurt less often (Georges style of play leads to many issues) Alex has an elite glove at 3B and He has always been a more disciplined hitter than George ever was. Alex is a technician at hitting. George always felt like a bull in a china shop at the plate.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

MosesHallRAB04
AG
Bregman has had a bad offensive season for his standards. The biggest concern out of it is his walk rate has plummeted. That's not a Father Time thing really unless he needs lasik.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
A lot of aging players start sacrificing contact for power as they guess more. Biggio was a perfect example who started sacrificing contact and average for an increased HR rate.

I actually predict the opposite for Bregman. He is power has always been fringy and will likely keep declining as he ages. He might be capable of being a .300+ hitter annually if he stopped trying to drive the ball.

Generally speaking, the power is needed to be a plus player, but this might be an interesting fallback that would allow Bregman to age into a strong defensive 3B who can provide AVG and OBP with minimum pop in the middle to lower part of the order (kind of like a higher OBP Gurriel).
agdaddy04
AG
Mr.Bond said:

W said:

speaking of George...

OPS by year:

2021 ---> .907 at age 31
2022 ---> .814
2023 ---> .732
2024 ---> .686

True. But Alex is at a position that gets hurt less often (Georges style of play leads to many issues) Alex has an elite glove at 3B and He has always been a more disciplined hitter than George ever was. Alex is a technician at hitting. George always felt like a bull in a china shop at the plate.

Yes, I don't think it's so easy to replace his level of defense. I'd like to make it a priority to bring him back.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

yep, the "locking up your core" phenomenon that started 5 years ago or so...

is taking on water as more long-term signed players...turn out to be very average or injury-prone or both

The Julio, Wander, & Tatis deals don't look nearly as good as they did a few years ago.

Well, one isn't quite that good a player, one is in jail and will never play again and one is no longer allowed to take his ringworm medication and is a strike away from a season long ban.
Wabs
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Bregman has had a bad offensive season for his standards. The biggest concern out of it is his walk rate has plummeted. That's not a Father Time thing really unless he needs lasik.
This definitely has been the biggest change for Breggy this season. He has (at at least had) one of the best plate disciplines of anyone in MLB. That has not been the case this year, but I'd argue that hasn't been the case for almost the entire team. That is one thing that made our lineup very tough in the years before. Somewhere along the way we changed that.
rosco511
AG
Walk rate does not necessarily mean lack of patience or similar issues. It can also be due to the fact that pitchers do not fear the hitter as much from a hard contact standpoint so are more willing to challenge him and not try to nibble.
Hornbeck
AG
I think they should consider moving Bregman to first if they are going to keep him, but he's not a prototypical 3 guy with power….
Ag_07
AG
Hornbeck said:

I think they should consider moving Bregman to first if they are going to keep him, but he's not a prototypical 3 guy with power….

This

I think if anyone can make the move it's Bregs and that would solve a lot problems with A) filling the 1B void on the roster and B) his longevity.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
With a Magic number of 6 to clinch the AL West, the Astros have a chance to end this race by Sunday. If we sweep the Angels like we did last weekend in LA, we just need Seattle to go 2-2 with today's game with NYY and a 3 game trip to Arlington. That would give us a 7 game lead with 6 to play.

If we fall short we just need a win ot two at home vs Seattle next week.

Catching Cleveland or NY for a bye would require a 10-0 finish I think if it's even possible.
Dr. Doctor
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

George was never going to age well as the typical athleticism-dependent OF who also plays the game really hard. Even with us in his prime he struggled to avoid injuries from his style of play and you knew that would seriously catch up to him in his 30s.

With free agents (especially Boras free agents) it is always about the money. But Bregman ought to be thinking really hard about the details beyond the contract. For someone who is so intense and obsessive when it comes to baseball, he cannot take for granted what he has here: since his first full big-league season, he has NEVER experienced a season where he wasn't playing ball in mid-to-late October.

For such a competitor, I wonder what would happen to him mentally the first time he plays for a team that misses the postseason or is a quick 2-3 and out, because that is what life normally looks like for most teams. He should not take for granted what he is a part of here in the "golden era."
I always wonder what the players who played on the Astros thought after their 1st or 2nd season missing the playoffs. Is the money better than the 'ships? I realize 'more is better', but is getting $1M or $5M/year more worth it vs. getting a championships (or 4)?

Kind of hope this is where Altuve and others can step in and offer advice.

Heck, give the players some extra money for non-playing roles. Isn't Breggy the pitcher-whisperer? Give him some scratch for doing that.

~egon
Hornbeck
AG
I think it's largely a function they leave to their agents, who take a hefty cut off the top.
Prosperdick
AG
If Breggy's walk rate hadn't declined I was going to make the point that if they do adopt a player challenge system in MLB he would definitely benefit from it. I still think it would help him as he does have a great eye at the plate.
BQ2001
AG
I went to a Toledo Mudhens game this summer and they used the challenge 5-6 times (batters and catchers) and each one only took about 15 seconds and over turned calls all but once. I liked it.
Prosperdick
AG
BQ2001 said:

I went to a Toledo Mudhens game this summer and they used the challenge 5-6 times (batters and catchers) and each one only took about 15 seconds and over turned calls all but once. I liked it.

Yeah anyone arguing it would slow down the game is FOS.

Now with Bucknor or the idiot we had against the Padres, yeah those games might take a while. Which is good, force the spotlight brightly on those ass hats. Make them wear it…they certainly don't have to answer any questions after the game, make them "answer" during it.
First Page Last Page
Page 1719 of 1739

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.