***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,340,616 Views | 60847 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by BadAggie
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd also argue it would speed up those umps deciding to retire early. Nobody wants 30,000 people laughing at you if you suck at your job.

If I had that many people laughing at me while I went through a presentation I certainly would consider another career.
falcon09
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

With a Magic number of 6 to clinch the AL West, the Astros have a chance to end this race by Sunday. If we sweep the Angels like we did last weekend in LA, we just need Seattle to go 2-2 with today's game with NYY and a 3 game trip to Arlington. That would give us a 7 game lead with 6 to play.

If we fall short we just need a win ot two at home vs Seattle next week.

Catching Cleveland or NY for a bye would require a 10-0 finish I think if it's even possible.
Cleveland's magic number for eliminating the Astros from 2 seed contention is at 5. So 6-4 while Cleveland goes 0-9 against the Twins (1), Cardinals (3), and Reds (2) would result in a tie. The Astros would have the tie breaker. Seems highly unlikely, but crazier things have happened.

Maybe we finally get that 10 game win streak Dana talked about and Cleveland goes 4-2 coming into Houston?
tjack16
AG
BTW playoff tickets through the ALDS are on sale to general public in 40 minutes
txags92
AG
Prosperdick said:

If Breggy's walk rate hadn't declined I was going to make the point that if they do adopt a player challenge system in MLB he would definitely benefit from it. I still think it would help him as he does have a great eye at the plate.
I have seen the team by team rankings of umpire bias, but I would love to see a statcast level breakdown by player of who gets victimized the most by balls that are erroneously called strikes. It may just be perception, but it seems like it is at least once a game that Bregman watches a ball get called a strike early in an at bat. Would not be the least bit surprised if the umps are still trying to penalize him (and the astros as a whole) for 2017.
W
AG
another thing to remember regarding Bregman...

Yordan's and Javier's contracts are about to hit the gas pedal

Yordan is a $26 MM player in 2026

Javier is a $21 MM player in 2026

of course LMj is still on the books for $17 MM in 2026

and do you want to offer an extension to Hunter Brown in the meantime?
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

Prosperdick said:

If Breggy's walk rate hadn't declined I was going to make the point that if they do adopt a player challenge system in MLB he would definitely benefit from it. I still think it would help him as he does have a great eye at the plate.
I have seen the team by team rankings of umpire bias, but I would love to see a statcast level breakdown by player of who gets victimized the most by balls that are erroneously called strikes. It may just be perception, but it seems like it is at least once a game that Bregman watches a ball get called a strike early in an at bat. Would not be the least bit surprised if the umps are still trying to penalize him (and the astros as a whole) for 2017.
I got you.

The filters:

Team Ranks
1. TOR - 550 pitches out of 21,953 - 2.5%
24. HOU - 442 pitches out of 20,971 - 2.1%
30. WSH - 416 pitches out of 21,310 - 2.0%

Player Ranks
1. Isaac Paredes - 87/2713 - 3.2%
2. Seiya Suzuki - 82/2388 - 3.4%
33. Alex Bregman - 57/2259 - 2.5%
50. Jose Altuve - 51/2329 - 2.2%
50. Jeremy Pena - 51/2166 - 2.4%
82. Jake Meyers - 46/1709 - 2.7%
no one else in the top 100

Random thing I noticed - Will Wagner is getting screwed. He's already at 17 in only 364 pitches - 4.7%

This is probably fire a few of yall up, but while looking at this you can see just how few pitches we see. We rank dead load with 20,971 pitches seen. 255 pitches fewer than CWS and 2,415 fewer than MIL.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Prosperdick said:

I got you.

The filters:

Team Ranks
1. TOR - 550 pitches out of 21,953 - 2.5%
24. HOU - 442 pitches out of 20,971 - 2.1%
30. WSH - 416 pitches out of 21,310 - 2.0%

Player Ranks
1. Isaac Paredes - 87/2713 - 3.2%
2. Seiya Suzuki - 82/2388 - 3.4%
33. Alex Bregman - 57/2259 - 2.5%
50. Jose Altuve - 51/2329 - 2.2%
50. Jeremy Pena - 51/2166 - 2.4%
82. Jake Meyers - 46/1709 - 2.7%
no one else in the top 100

Random thing I noticed - Will Wagner is getting screwed. He's already at 17 in only 364 pitches - 4.7%

This is probably fire a few of yall up, but while looking at this you can see just how few pitches we see. We rank dead load with 20,971 pitches seen. 255 pitches fewer than CWS and 2,415 fewer than MIL.
That is pretty cool. Not surprised to see 3 Astros on the top 50. Shocked to see us where we are at 24th on the team rank given how the umpire scorecards show us consistently at the bottom. Can you do the same analysis for pitches in the zone that get called balls. Is it our pitchers getting screwed that is driving our umpire scorecards disadvantage?
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

This is the genius of Alex Cintron. He knows we are getting hosed by bad calls. So the solution is to stop taking so many pitches.
The Porkchop Express
AG
agproducer said:

The Porkchop Express said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Anyone heard from 2015? He kind of disappeared after the trade deadline
How odd, first I thought he got a ban, but I remember seeing him on the Texans' thread right before the first game.

he's only posted 4-5 times in the last month. He doesn't have stars so can't PM him unfortunately.
I think he said a while back that he couldn't stand the negativity on this thread during the games, so he was going to take time away.

I miss his takes and insider info.
I feel for him. I stopped on my most beloved thread (Star Wars and its subsidiaries) for the exact same reason about a month or so ago. While I miss it, it definitely was a good idea.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm alive.
txags92
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Quote:

This is the genius of Alex Cintron. He knows we are getting hosed by bad calls. So the solution is to stop taking so many pitches.
The stat showing us 24th out of 30 on a percentage basis would suggest we are not getting hosed as a team. Would be interesting to where we rank at swing and miss strikes and foul balls on pitches outside the strike zone. I think that is where you will see the impact of Cintron's incompetence as much as or more than the lack of walks.
Marvin
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Quote:

The Porkchop Express
AG
where?
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm alive.

First, tell me some good news about our next hitting coach!

ETA- kidding, glad you are all good.
Farmer1906
AG
Astros Pitching
10th in balls called strikes
5th in strikes called balls

Astros Hitting
29th in strikes called balls
24th in balls called strikes

But since we're so aggressive we should be low when we bat. If we look at % it changes.

Astros Hitting

13th in balls called strikes

All are sorted from high to low regardless if high is favorable or unfavorable.

The only thing that stands out is that our hitters don't get breaks regarding borderline strikes. They're usually called strikes. And our pitches get squeezed too often.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm alive.
So we're going all in on Soto to force NY to pay 500 M. Is that what I am reading in between the lines?
jkag89

Just wanted to add on to the thanks to Julio Rodriguez for not only going through a season-long downgrade of his skill set that takes him from "I'm terrified of this guy" to "who cares if he's up" but also being a total moron and dropping our magic number to 6. Kudos to the NY Post for this great shot, which looks like someone reversed the image of a guy getting picked off first.

Finally came across a good replay of this; at about the 0:30 mark.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Astros Pitching
10th in balls called strikes
5th in strikes called balls

Astros Hitting
24th in balls called strikes

But since we're so aggressive we should be low when we bat. If we look at % it changes.

Astros Hitting

13th in balls called strikes

All are sorted from high to low regardless if high is favorable or unfavorable.

The only thing that stands out is that our hitters don't get breaks regarding borderline strikes. They're usually called strikes. And our pitches get squeezed too often.
Thanks for looking at that and posting it for me. I suspect there are certain guys from the 2017 team that get squeezed more than others based on seeing Bregman and Altuve high up on the list. But I also wonder how much of it has to do with how each player gets pitched. Guys where the book says they can't lay off outside pitches with movement or high heat might get squeezed more just because of pitch selection and location by the pitcher.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jkag89 said:

Just wanted to add on to the thanks to Julio Rodriguez for not only going through a season-long downgrade of his skill set that takes him from "I'm terrified of this guy" to "who cares if he's up" but also being a total moron and dropping our magic number to 6. Kudos to the NY Post for this great shot, which looks like someone reversed the image of a guy getting picked off first.

Watching that replay - is there a certain distance a baserunner can go off the base during the game and not be called out? He's more than halfway to the dugout.
tjack16
AG

where?

Astros website

Plenty of availability. Got mine for a potential ALDS game 4 since it looks like that will at least be an evening game with only 1 other game scheduled that night

I'm sure we will get mostly day games since our draw would be either Minnesota or Detroit
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm alive.
Im also alive, not that anyone asked.

I dont know how you guys have done it without a paid sub and keeping up on here. I dropped my when renewal came up because this thread was the only reason i paid and with a recent job change it wasnt financially practical.

I still read here occasionally when moves were happening but this whole site gets more annoying without a paid membership to keep track of stuff and use of the app

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk
txags92
AG

jkag89 said:

Watching that replay - is there a certain distance a baserunner can go off the base during the game and not be called out? He's more than halfway to the dugout.
I would think they would give leeway for avoiding a flying bat initially, but he reacted like it was a foul ball instead of a foul bat.
Ag_07
AG
I think he thought it was 3rd out.

Looks like initially he was avoiding the bat but he keeps going toward the dugout after the bats is well clear of him.

I think he lost track of the outs.
dcaggie04
AG
Ag_07 said:

Looks like initially he was avoiding the bat but he keeps going toward the dugout after the bats is well clear of him.

They asked him about it after the game and he said that he thought the play was dead when the bat left the batter's hands.
htxag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Didn't necessarily look like he was going back to the dugout to me as much as just thinking it was a dead ball and goofing off. Like he just completely forgot a game was going on.
Ag_07
AG
dcaggie04 said:

Ag_07 said:

They asked him about it after the game and he said that he thought the play was dead when the bat left the batter's hands.

If I was him I wouldn't have said that out loud.
Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is nothing more than a money grab. Countless teams are changing just to try to make more money
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

gambochaman
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

If I'm reading this in astro speak, poor dude had his arm amputated at the shoulder
Faustus
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I'm alive.
So we're going all in on Soto to force NY to pay 500 M. Is that what I am reading in between the lines?
NY won't let him get away, but I'd love him to land at any other franchise so the Yankees can cry about Steinbrenner being cheap.

Soto is having one of his best years ever hitting in front of Judge in that stadium, so I imagine he's wanting to stay too as long as he gets the bag.
Prosperdick
AG
txags92 said:

jkag89 said:

I would think they would give leeway for avoiding a flying bat initially, but he reacted like it was a foul ball instead of a foul bat.
I thought he thought it was a foul ball and avoiding the flying bat and it would be a dead ball obviously in that situation. Maybe that's what he meant to say and it came out wrong because I can't believe a player would think the bat leaving a hitter's hand after a strike-out would result in a dead ball.
Faustus
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I'm alive.
Im also alive, not that anyone asked.

I dont know how you guys have done it without a paid sub and keeping up on here. I dropped my when renewal came up because this thread was the only reason i paid and with a recent job change it wasnt financially practical.

I still read here occasionally when moves were happening but this whole site gets more annoying without a paid membership to keep track of stuff and use of the app

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk
The thread is still free even without a paid membership, but glad you're still alive!
CFTXAG10
AG
Cleveland walking off the Twins puts the Fighting AJ Hinch's aka Tigers a 1/2 game back of the final wild card spot and a potential date with the Astros.
texasaggie2015
AG
Few quick tidbits:

- Expect Christian Walker to be the #1 FA target this offseason
- Brice Matthews will start the 2025 season in AAA but don't be surprised to see him in Houston at some point next year. He's exceeded expectations by a mile as far as pace of progression goes. They see him as the 3B of the future.
- Nothing new on Bregman.. I don't expect him to be in Houston next year
- Nothing new on Tucker as well
- If the postseason started today JV would not be on the roster

With this new job, I don't have the time to get on here during the day as much as I used to and well I choose to avoid the thread during games haha. Nothing personal obviously.

Crazy to believe where we are today compared to how things looked in May and June.
First Page Last Page
Page 1720 of 1739

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.