Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Cutting Costs - Monthly Subscriptions

26,652 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Proposition Joe
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been on cricket since before ATT bought them outright. It's stupid cheap. I'm unlikely to flip unless/until I figure one of those 'Patriot Mobile' MVNO's are worth it.
YouBet
AG
Proposition Joe said:

YouBet said:

I assume you mean $300 per year. Who is it with?

We moved from ATT to Mint over a year ago and saved all kinds of money doing so. Only downside is that coverage is not as good and there are dead areas in rural Texas.

Yes, $300 year (advertised as $25/month).

https://www.att.com/prepaid/multi-month-plans/

Not great if you stream a lot over cellular, but 90% of my streaming I'm on WIFI so I don't touch the 16GB/month throttle limit.

One thing that might prevent people from doing it is I believe you have to own/paid-off your phone.

That's interesting. We stream almost nothing over cellular so this could apply to us. Only reason I would change though is if coverage is better.
Proposition Joe
YouBet said:

Proposition Joe said:

YouBet said:

I assume you mean $300 per year. Who is it with?

We moved from ATT to Mint over a year ago and saved all kinds of money doing so. Only downside is that coverage is not as good and there are dead areas in rural Texas.

Yes, $300 year (advertised as $25/month).

https://www.att.com/prepaid/multi-month-plans/

Not great if you stream a lot over cellular, but 90% of my streaming I'm on WIFI so I don't touch the 16GB/month throttle limit.

One thing that might prevent people from doing it is I believe you have to own/paid-off your phone.

That's interesting. We stream almost nothing over cellular so this could apply to us. Only reason I would change though is if coverage is better.

I didn't do a deep dive into the specifics, so I guess aside from the throttling (which I won't come close to reaching) I guess I could conceivably be on a "lesser" AT&T coverage network than the main one or have less priority... but I don't think so.

I think that it's essentially that talk and text incur little to no expense with any of the providers, and that data streaming is the biggest cost so if you're not a heavy streamer, you really shouldn't be paying very much.

Hell, even my worries about the hotspot (which I use for road work when we vacation) were for the most part unneeded - I'm far below 10 gigs a month.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.