Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Wells Fargo - Banking question about archived documents

6,992 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Diggity
jczar03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for some advice, maybe from someone with connections to Wells Fargo.

I was President of an HOA and signatory on a Wells Fargo business checking account in 2011/2012. I need a copy of a 2012 cancelled check from this bank account. After calling general phone numbers, it appears that Wells Fargo does not have easy access to any records more than 7 years old. However, with a subpoena or court order, I do know from recent experience that you can get older statements, checks, deposits, etc. from this time period, so the bank still has them. I called the subpoena group but they were not helpful without having a subpoena or court order, which I obviously don't have..

Any thoughts on this matter, other than NEVER volunteer to be on an HOA?

aggie_wes
AG
If no subpoena, why do you need a copy of this cancelled check 10+ years later?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Is there any type of ongoing litigation with regard to this issue whether you are involved in it or not?
jczar03
AG
Thanks for responding. This is a very complicated situation where common area property is being transferred from a developer to a subdivision. Certain funds were paid to the developer for a specific purpose in 2012. He doesn't think that he received this check. I'm trying to get a copy of this check to settle the matter.

The reason I mention the subpoena group is because I know for a fact that Wells Fargo has access to 2012 data, I just need to figure out a way to get to archived data without the legal process.
jczar03
AG
No litigation in the matter, just trying to address one of the issues with the transfer.
one safe place
I would ask nicely, and on a Friday. After lunch. I'd explain the issue and I'd probably lie about hoping to head off any litigation.

Did the HOA destroy the bank records from that time frame?
jczar03
AG
I don't know if the HOA received paper copies of the bank statements. The only thing we were able to find was an Excel schedule that was essentially the checkbook register.
Stive
AG
I'm sure you've probably already asked it this way but I'll mention it just in case:

Have you asked for a copy of the bank statement instead? I used to bank at Wells and if I remember correctly they had copies of the checks in their bank statements. Is it possible they have copies of the statements digitally available and easier to access than copies of the cancelled checks?
jczar03
AG
Yes, I did request bank statement and cancelled checks. Unfortunately, I have not been able to reach anyone willing to take the extra effort needed to really help. Apparently all documents have been purged from the main system after 7 years. This is the system most employees have access to. They don't even see the account number anymore.

If there was ever a wild goose chase, this is one of them. Both fortunately and unfortunately, when someone asks me for help, I just don't give up easily. With our network, there's got to be someone out there with the WF banking connection or banking knowledge of how this is generally handled.
Kenneth_2003
AG
You mention calling... I think you need to go into a physical location and sit down across the desk from an actual person. Not the drive thru, and not even the teller window. There's no guarantee that any phone number that you call isn't going to first route you to an overseas call center that is undoubtedly restricted on what they can and cannot do, but handles 99.999% of issues people call about. You are not in that 99.999, you're the 0.001% in this scenario.

Doesn't surprise me that someone previously just downloaded things to excel or quicken and didn't download/retain physical statements.
Stive
AG
On the flip side…a developer is asking for documentation from you from 11 years ago? They seem to be the one out of line here not Wells. If they had an issue on not being paid (or thinking they hadn't been paid) for something they should have brought that up sometime in…oh…I don't know…the first DECADE after they hadn't received the money?
jczar03
AG
There is so much more to this story that you would never believe all of it. We are working towards getting the common area transferred about 5 years before the contractual requirement, so we don't have a lot of leverage at this time, and of course we would like to avoid litigation.

Good point on in-person. We have tried that at the branch where the account was opened. We had the same results in person as on the customer service line. What we have found is if the solution is not convenient, it's understandably hard to find the same bulldog mentality as we have.
jczar03
AG
I really appreciate all of your time for the discussion!
julez217
Hi Jczar03, Were you able to sort this out? I am having a similar issue and need bank records/checks from 1998 and don't have the court order yet. Curious if you found a way... Thanks!
Diggity
AG
What the heck is a court order going to do if they don't have ready access to the record? The bank has no obligation to hold those files that long.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.