Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Remote Workers Losing Out on Promotions

15,645 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Diggity
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Done7 said:

This is all BS. For 12 of my 15 year career my direct manager worked at a different location. Never had an issue getting a promotion.

lol. It's absolutely not bull***** Your scenario was specific to you. Mine is based on 20 years of senior leadership at a F250, my wife's 25 years with last part of it as an executive at F250, and understanding basic human behavior and how **** generally works in the leadership ranks.

This is the problem. Everyone thinks their individual experiences is the only way. It's ****ty management.

If you're turning a wrench or assembling product you have to be on site. We ran global billion dollar projects with people and products being assembled all around the world. With technology today it's about training and competency. Demanding people be in the office "because" is horribly inefficient and generally more about covering for weakness.
I Am A Critic
If people don't like the choices given to them, they can start their own company and run it themselves or move the **** on down the road.
Username checks out.
hedge
AGROAg88 said:

All-remote work is great if you believe that on-the-job-training and company culture are fairy tales. Ten years from now everyone will look back with "Hey, do you remember the Shut-in Era after COVID, when everyone pretended to work from their couch full time?". Trusted senior people should, in many industries, be able to work from home for a portion of their time, so long as they spend "anchor days" in the office to mentor junior staff, interact with co-workers and engage first-hand with clients. New hiresno way. This will be apparent when mid-level jobs come open and none of the newbies have a clue what's being asked of them.
Company Culture? Of what? Sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours, forced work events and unnecessary meetings by management so they can feel productive
Saxsoon
AG
There is validity to this despite what a few here want to admit

I changed companies during COVID, I was 8 years into my career so not exactly fresh. It was very difficult to integrate with my team and had a micromanager that didn't have the time to micromanage. Yes bad manager regardless but some of the issues would have been mitigated in person as I was also struggling to learn how to work in this new company on a way I never had before. Things got better after we started coming in two days a week

Started a new job 6 months ago and officially I only have to come in 3 days a week but especially at the beginning I went in 4 or 5 days a week and stayed glued to my director. VPs come to speak to my director a lot so by osmosis I picked up a lot and got that face time. About a month ago she asked me if I wanted her open associate director role. Going through the HR processes right now

If you don't want to move up then that is perfectly fine . But don't be shocked if you do want to move up and end up being stagnant.
harge57
AG
Saxsoon said:

There is validity to this despite what a few here want to admit

I changed companies during COVID, I was 8 years into my career so not exactly fresh. It was very difficult to integrate with my team and had a micromanager that didn't have the time to micromanage. Yes bad manager regardless but some of the issues would have been mitigated in person as I was also struggling to learn how to work in this new company on a way I never had before. Things got better after we started coming in two days a week

Started a new job 6 months ago and officially I only have to come in 3 days a week but especially at the beginning I went in 4 or 5 days a week and stayed glued to my director. VPs come to speak to my director a lot so by osmosis I picked up a lot and got that face time. About a month ago she asked me if I wanted her open associate director role. Going through the HR processes right now

If you don't want to move up then that is perfectly fine . But don't be shocked if you do want to move up and end up being stagnant.

Again every situation is different. In your situation your boss and other leadership are actually in the office. Many companies that is not the case anymore. The vice chair that is two levels above me is in the office maybe 2 days a week the weeks he is even in town. His peers are spread all over the country. My direct reports are spread across Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, NY, and San Fran.

I am in performance discussions and promotion decisions for a group of ~120 people. Not once was the amount of time in the office brought up. If you have the opportunity to be in person with leadership you absolutely should, but it's definitely not a requirement at some companies.
Troglodyte
AG
Amazon requiring employees back in office 5 days a week.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/16/amazon-jassy-tells-employees-to-return-to-office-five-days-a-week.html
Diet Cokehead
AG
Troglodyte said:

Amazon requiring employees back in office 5 days a week.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/16/amazon-jassy-tells-employees-to-return-to-office-five-days-a-week.html
That means it's coming for a lot more.

Blackrock and Vanguard are driving this to protect corporate real estate investments.

Pure blackmail of F500 CEOs.
Diggity
AG
tell me more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.