Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Honest HVAC contractor that will recharge my home AC?

2,283 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by tgivaughn
mattandersen2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey does anyone know a small contractor that will just recharge my AC no questions asked?
It's low on R22 refrigerant and I'm not interested in replacing the system or any other repairs.
combat wombat™
AG
Where you located? In Houston you can call Galen Beede with Beede AC and Heat. 281-222-9591
mattandersen2
I'm in College Station. Thanks for the suggestion though
stu.pidarse
Mosqueda Cooling and Heating in Bryan
RoyVal
AG
did you open up the lines and let the refrigerant escape? or slow leak? (just curious)
maddiedou
AG
mattandersen2 said:

Hey does anyone know a small contractor that will just recharge my AC no questions asked?
It's low on R22 refrigerant and I'm not interested in replacing the system or any other repairs.

You can text me I have a guy that can take care of you

You probably know this but R22 is high. Depending on how bad your leak is

Eight Two. O
l87o

Text me. He may can look at today for you
maddiedou
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

You probably know this but R22 is high.
What is the going rate for R22? I got a quote last week for $175/lb. My 1997 unit holds 6 lbs but the HVAC company says I need 8 lbs.

"An additional 2 lbs is needed to push the refrigerant through the lines once the coil is replaced."
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Holy upcharge, batman!

$300 for 10lbs
88agswin
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Holy upcharge, batman!

$300 for 10lbs
At Checkout, you must certify that the cans of refrigerants that your are purchasing are being purchased solely for the purpose of reselling or will be installed by an EPA certified technician. There will be a CHECKBOX to certify that you will comply with all applicable Local, State and Federal regulations and laws and that you are legally permitted to purchase, accept delivery of, possess and resell these cans of refrigerant.

Do you have an EPA license?
[URL]http://wiseguyscooling.com [/URL]
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I'm not sure what point you're making. He asked about the going rate of R22 and was quoted $175/lb. Sure seems like a lot compared to $30/lb. I've got no problem with HVAC techs rolling their costs into what they charge, which also includes their licensure, equipment, fuel, etc. And I'm assuming labor was a separate line-item, which he didn't say.

But $30 vs $175 per pound?
PlanoAg98
AG
Here are the latest charges my 2nd HVAC warranty wants to charge me.

Foam Blocks / Strapping $85.00
Plenum Modification $175.00
Ductwork Transition $150.00
Drain Line Modification $85.00
Armaflex Modification $85.00
Secondary Drain Pan $225.00
Refrigerant Recovery $285.00
Refrigerant Disposal $85.00
Equipment Disposal $165.00
Locking Caps $85.00
Primary Float Switch $125.00
CONDENSER CLEAN $350.00
Refrigerant Over the Contract Maximum Allowance $450.00
TOTAL: $2350
Whitetail
AG
88agswin said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

Holy upcharge, batman!

$300 for 10lbs
At Checkout, you must certify that the cans of refrigerants that your are purchasing are being purchased solely for the purpose of reselling or will be installed by an EPA certified technician. There will be a CHECKBOX to certify that you will comply with all applicable Local, State and Federal regulations and laws and that you are legally permitted to purchase, accept delivery of, possess and resell these cans of refrigerant.

Do you have an EPA license?

EPA license is easy to get.
mattandersen2
It's just a slow leak according to the contractor I had initially called to inspect my system because the system is not cooling the house properly.
They tried to get us to pay for an entirely new system that takes coolant that is soon to go the way of R22 and get phased out, so we'd rather just recharge it every once in a while.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

They tried to get us to pay for an entirely new system that takes coolant that is soon to go the way of R22 and get phased out, so we'd rather just recharge it every once in a while.
What coolant is that?
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
Give us a call. We sell virgin R22 at what we think is a fair rate and we'd be happy to charge your system without the riot act of trying to sell you a new one.

979-422-0148

mattandersen2 said:

It's just a slow leak according to the contractor I had initially called to inspect my system because the system is not cooling the house properly.
88agswin
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

What coolant is that?
R410 is being phased out and replaced with R32 (the most common one) but there are multiple ones out there.
[URL]http://wiseguyscooling.com [/URL]
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
No more R410a systems can be installed starting in January 2025. New refrigerants are R32 or R454B and are classified as A2Ls (mildly flammable). New units will have leak detectors in the air stream and will shut the system down and run the fan only when a leak is detected. Oh and it's going to cost more.

Thanks lobbyist.

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

What coolant is that?
Sea Speed
AG
OP, I have some R22 I would part with on the cheap if you need it but it's in Houston.
PlanoAg98
AG
Will R410a become as expensive at R22?
mattandersen2
It's really incredible. Every 15 years they release the new miracle refrigerent that is sooo safe compared to the last one, only to make it illegal like the last one because it's now so incredibly dangerous.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Interestingly, patents last about 20 years…. Hmmm
mattandersen2
BenTheGoodAg said:

"Hmm" is right
Lovely country we live in
mattandersen2
Likely yes
Sea Speed
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

This change is why I stopped limping my system along and replaced before end of year.
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
Get out of here with that nonsense. You can't argue with science. We're saving the planet. Again. The same one we saved 15 years ago. The only difference this go around is they've already announced that this new refrigerant is a 10 year stop gap. What's coming in 10 years is anyone's guess but I guarantee it will cost more and save the planet, again.

:-)

mattandersen2 said:

It's really incredible. Every 15 years they release the new miracle refrigerent that is sooo safe compared to the last one, only to make it illegal like the last one because it's now so incredibly dangerous.
Aggie09Derek
AG
If installing a new system would you do a R410a or R32?
agracer
AG
TruService HVAC said:

Get out of here with that nonsense. You can't argue with science. We're saving the planet. Again. The same one we saved 15 years ago. The only difference this go around is they've already announced that this new refrigerant is a 10 year stop gap. What's coming in 10 years is anyone's guess but I guarantee it will cost more and save the planet, again.

mattandersen2 said:

It will also run a higher pressure making the parts/pieces more expensive and will be less efficient than the old stuff.
agracer
AG
mattandersen2 said:

It's just going to keep leaking, and you are going to damage your system to the point where it suddenly won't cool AND you'll need a new system. Most likely in the middle of a 100-deg 10-day spell in July of 2025 and you'll be waiting 5-days to get 3 bids, all of which will be 30% higher because you're desperate and they're busy and have 10-paying customers in line in front of you that just want their house cold again.

Also, factor in the 5-days in a hotel and food out every night because NFW is the wife going to sleep in a 100-deg house.

Find someone who will find and repair the leak, then recharge it.
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
Replying to agracer about the pressures and I was thoroughly shocked when I finally saw a PT chart for the new A2L refrigerants. All I can say is oh boy we're in for a hot mess of fun the next five years or so.

Old refrigerants
R22 at 40 degrees F= 68.6 Psi
R410a at 40 degrees F= 118.4 Psi

New 2025 refrigerants
R32 at 40 degrees F= 121 Psi
R454B at 40 degrees F= 107 Psi

Now tell me what's going to keep ol Chuck in a truck from dropping in some R32 in that 410a system? If they are that close in PT (pressure/temperature) why not? Better yet, how am I going to know when Chuck did that and you call me because it's not cooling right? Or will it cool fine? I don't have a clue. I do know that when we found R22/R410a blended together we had an obvious cross breed that didn't work.

Interesting times ahead.

agracer said:

TruService HVAC said:

mattandersen2 said:

It will also run a higher pressure making the parts/pieces more expensive and will be less efficient than the old stuff.
tgivaughn
AG
The EZ way is to hire TruService, showing interest
but
if money is scarce and time is not, then get a license, buy wholesale all you want and DIY until this leak .... WILL get bigger (never smaller, right?) and supplies break the bank or all is lost (new system) and efforts past for naught in awhile.

And on TV there's a spray Paint & tape wrap that seals a boat from sinking ... haha sorry, no disrespect meant, I DO hope this gets fixed, since we live in this ever changing weather hell with no A+ weathermen to help plan the future.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.