Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Let's talk Mexican restaurant chains

9,298 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by schmellba99
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Torchy's queso and tacos are so damn good.

I'm judging a chain on their ability to reproduce the same taste and quality across all their restaurants for multiple visits.

ChaChos is up there too! Those King Kong nachos are for all us heathens!

1. Papasitos
2. Torchys
3. ChaChos
4. Las Palapas

Just some of my faves not really a ranking
HTownAg98
If Torchy's didn't take forever and a day to sling tacos, I'd eat there more often. I don't think I've ever seen a kitchen that has more people standing around doing little to nothing. I typically don't eat out for Tex-Mex very often, but Lupe Tortillas has been fairly solid for me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Lupe is #1. The original Ninfa's is probably my favorite Mexican restaurant, but the other locations aren't nearly as good.
CoachLB
I agree Torchys chips and queso are great! In College Station I guess for me Lupes is the best all around. I have only been to Gringos twice. And had the Tacos Al Carbon. It was pretty good.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Ninfas on Navigation is so money.

And I have been to the closed down one in College Station that was great and another one in Houston. It slipped my mind but great spots!
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
Aggie Therapist
AG
Who is so petty that they flagged my queso picture?
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
TXAG 05
AG
Not a fan of Torchys since their tortillas aren't any good, at least at the ones I've been to.

Not sure I'd count Ninfas, which is great, but not really a chain since it is currently just the original location on Navigation and the newer one at Post Oak/San Felipe. The other locations are owned by another company and no longer have anything to do with the original.

Taco Cabana used to be great for a chain, but they have gone downhill bad.

I'll throw El Tiempo into the mix.
MediAg13
AG
Does chipotle count? Joking… sort of. Love Pappasitos and we've only been once but enjoyed Gringos as well.
javajaws
AG
Pappasito's has the best chicken fajitas - and if you are not drowning them in their melted butter you are doing it wrong.

Like Lupe's as well - always seem to get the spicy red enchiladas. Love that sauce. Their beef fajitas aren't bad but not as good as Pappasito's either.

Of course Chuys - I always get the boom boom but can't stand their salsa (which isn't really a salsa).
Aggie Therapist
AG
Haven't had Chuys in years or Lupe Tortilla in years.

It's time to do some research. I know we went initially when the Katy one open back in the day and the tortillas were great.

Dial 988 Press 1
Sazerac
AG
In west Houston area we go

Lupe
Los Tios
Pappasitos fajita deal (not as tasty as Lupe's beef)

Original Ninfas probably once a year.
I'll pop into Chuys every couple years for their salsa, hatch sauce, and Mexican martinis.
AggieOO
TXAG 05 said:

Not a fan of Torchys since their tortillas aren't any good, at least at the ones I've been to.
many locations make their own tortillas now. not sure if its all of them now, but a lot of them.
TXAG 05
AG
AggieOO said:

TXAG 05 said:

many locations make their own tortillas now. not sure if its all of them now, but a lot of them.

Gotcha, it's been years since I've been to one, I'll give them another shot. They were always like crappy Mission tortillas out of the package.

Doesn't matter what the ingredients are, if the tortilla is bad, the taco is bad.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I don't want to agree with this but it's so true.

But I've had my fair share of tortillas out MREs with "taco beef filling" in my day.

I guess my standards are low
FIDO*98*
AG
Taqueria Guadalajara # _______
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Pappasitos
Guadalajara
Gringos
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
smstork1007
AG
El Tiempo, Washington Ave is the best imo,, then Pappasitos. Javajaws, I do like me some pappasitos, but not sure on if i could go as far as to say their chicken fajitas are better than el tiempo, but I would rank them a close second.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Pappasito's lost me when I last went about a year ago and the enchiladas were made with flour tortillas. WTF?
austinag1997
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Not sure I'd count Ninfas, which is great, but not really a chain since it is currently just the original location on Navigation and the newer one at Post Oak/San Felipe. The other locations are owned by another company and no longer have anything to do with the original.

I'll throw El Tiempo into the mix.

I like El Tiempo.
AlaskanAg99
AG
#1 Lupes, however my wife is lactose intolerable and that place tears her up. So I can only go when she's not around. Hwy 6 OG location is my jam.
#2 Los Cucos, due to proximity

I've been to Papas and Gringos and Nav Ninfas but not enough to really rank them.

I burned the El Tiempo down in Katy. They paid me, #insidejob.

Chuys and Torchy's can suck start a shotgun they're so bad.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Chuys and torchys are "good"spots

Chill out bro
mustang1234
AlaskanAg99 said:

#1 Lupes, however my wife is lactose intolerable and that place tears her up. So I can only go when she's not around. Hwy 6 OG location is my jam.
#2 Los Cucos, due to proximity

I've been to Papas and Gringos and Nav Ninfas but not enough to really rank them.

I burned the El Tiempo down in Katy. They paid me, #insidejob.

Chuys and Torchy's can suck start a shotgun they're so bad.
yep Torchys is upgraded Taco Bell.
Chuys just sold out to Corporate the other day. Hard to beat a Pappas, Ninfas, or a Lupes. Abuelos is good too if you can find one
Aggie Therapist
AG
So you can taste the flavor difference from a business transaction that occurred a few days ago? Wild.

"Selling out" is what some people might consider a good business model and a bench mark of success.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Last weekend I did eat at Torchys after my wife and I saw Deadpool. I walked out thinking "why did I go there again, i know better."

Chuys we only go to when her sister is in town. I make her drive and I focus on margs. But I don't complain so they can have a good time.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Casa Ole. I grew up in Pasadena and it's always been a staple for me. I know it's not on par with a lot of the chains already listed but it still works the once or twice a year I make it to one.

For modern day, I nominate Taco Palenque in the fast food category.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Chuys margs do slap

I miss the nacho bar during happy hour honestly. I haven't been in years
EclipseAg
AG
TXAG 05 said:

For years, we went to Taco Cabana weekly for Saturday morning breakfast tacos and coffee. Wasn't the best, but it was convenient, easy and inexpensive.

It got to be a joke how bad it became. We would have to clean our own tables and beg the staff to put on more coffee, since the pot was always empty. We learned where they stored utensils and lids and stuff since they never restocked. The sauce bar was always a mess.

Finally we said "no mas."
TexAgs1992
1. Goode Co. Cantina
2. Ninfa's on Navigation
3. Pappasito's
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Lupe beef fajitas are undefeated.
Pappasitos is great
Abuelos is really good when I can find one.
On the Border was good, not sure if it still is. Great chips, those jalapeno firecrackers were good too.
Torchys, Velvet taco, Chuys, and Taco Cabana all suck.
Rosa's cafe is very good.
MrPlow2010
AG
Not sure if it counts but I love Cabo Bob's. I prefer them over Freebirds and Chipotle or any other quick burrito place.
MichaelJ
AG
El tiempo or gtfo
SjAg
AG
Chuy's is gross.
AustinCountyAg
Los Cucos is hard to beat for quality, price, consistency
TXAG 05
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Los Cucos is hard to beat for quality, price, consistency

Varies by location. Some are great, some are terrible.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Alright, who has been to Mas Fajitas?

Them restaurants are everywhere now
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.