Season Basketball Tickets

5,450 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Dr. Horrible
Dr. Horrible
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just picked up season tickets for the first time... mixed emotions to see how few seats were available, but I'll take what I can get!

question from the noob... have all prior season ticket holders already been asked to renew, or is it possible that other seats may come available between now and start of the season if people don't re-up? I tried to search on the forum, but didn't see anything about it.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
I just did the same this morning!

First time season ticket holder (for anything at A&M) after moving back to B/CS recently. Pumped to support the program but I was also surprised at how few seats were available. Seems like I could get better seats for most conference games on a single-game basis last year.
AggByMarriage
Dr. Horrible said:

I just picked up season tickets for the first time... mixed emotions to see how few seats were available, but I'll take what I can get!

question from the noob... have all prior season ticket holders already been asked to renew, or is it possible that other seats may come available between now and start of the season if people don't re-up? I tried to search on the forum, but didn't see anything about it.

We just re-newed our season tickets last week. There will be a window where after the dust settles and everyone who decides not to renew , those seats will become open to other season ticket holders.

Excited about next season!! Basketball tickets are the best bang for the buck!

Hope your experience will be as ours has been.
bobinator
AG
It's really annoying that there's so few season tickets available and attendance is so poor for so many games. I'd like to get season tickets but it's not worth it when you get tickets to almost every game for cheap in better locations from people selling theirs.

I don't know how you solve that problem but it doesn't make sense to me to get new season tickets as a local.
Dr. Horrible
AggByMarriage said:

Dr. Horrible said:

We just re-newed our season tickets last week. There will be a window where after the dust settles and everyone who decides not to renew , those seats will become open to other season ticket holders.

How long did you have to renew? Was the deadline last week?
AggByMarriage
Dr. Horrible said:

AggByMarriage said:

Dr. Horrible said:

Honestly, I've been blessed with a wife that I converted into a basketball fan over the years. She manages the tickets she told me, "Got the renewal email, signed up, and we can check if we want to upgrade later".

I don't think the window is that long. Good luck
AggByMarriage
bobinator said:

It's really annoying that there's so few season tickets available and attendance is so poor for so many games. I'd like to get season tickets but it's not worth it when you get tickets to almost every game for cheap in better locations from people selling theirs.

I don't know how you solve that problem but it doesn't make sense to me to get new season tickets as a local.

That's fair. I'm truly stunned (and saddened) when I see the number of empty seats. I love where we sit (Section 117) close to the Aggies entrance.

The cost is so much more reasonable than football or baseball. And I love (LOVE) college basketball I like not having to wonder about tickets.

Dr. Horrible
I'll be honest. I bought these tickets with the full expectation that I use them to get in the door and then probably sit somewhere else for a lot of the games, except sellouts.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

12th man foundation needs a ticket exchange for 12th man members. For all sports. You throw them up on that. Whether you give them away or sell them, but it's strictly for 12th man members so you aren't giving them away to opposing fans.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Premier League clubs have great systems and would get rid of scalpers and visiting teams in home sections.

If you dont use your tickets, you just put them in system and only 12th Man members can buy them and you get your money back for that game
t-rex
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

AggByMarriage said:

Dr. Horrible said:

July 23 deadline. Then seat selection process is in August sometime
Dr. Horrible
Thanks! I sent email to TMF asking if I could be in seat selection process in Aug too, even though I just bought.
Gig Em5014
AG
A friend and I decided to get 2 together last year but didn't pull the trigger until September, maybe even October. All aisle seats were gone but there was still a robust selection that close to the season for a pair on the 1st deck. The renewal deadline is July 23rd but current ticket holders can also try to upgrade or add tickets so I'd suspect that come August there will be a greater selection available than what you're seeing today.
GigEm81
AG
Renewed my mid court seats. Hoping to improve them. Even though we live 1400 miles away I like knowing I will be in "my" seats and they are easy to sell (Ags only) when necessary.

I believe Buzz will get the place full more often as we go forward.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Between the buy-in from students last year, the overall excitement around Aggie Athletics right now, and the team's expected level of play, I anticipate strong crowds most season.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Those saying the crowds are bad, I'm just not feeling it. Last year the home schedule was 15 games. Seemed like 5 were packed out SEC games, 5 were strongly attended and 5 were early season/holiday break dogs. Hard to fix that bottom 5 I would think, but otherwise solid.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

Good lower level seats are available every single year in seat select.

And from a consumer standpoint, why would it be a problem if you can get cheap tickets on the secondary for every game? That's actually more of a problem for the team, but you aren't going to like what the "solution" is. (hint: it's rarely the consumer paying less).
bobinator
AG
It's not a problem for me, and as a local it definitely works to my advantage for almost every game, and it's not a problem for the athletic department since those seats are paid for, but from the standpoint of wanting as big of crowds as possible for as many games as possible it's a problem.

And maybe there will be better seats later, but when I checked when I got the email there was nothing even remotely good. There wasn't last year either and I checked several times but maybe just didn't check at the right times.
Bullpen Chias
AG
One issue if you buy single game tickets late is that you never build up priority points to have access to the best seats during new sales/upgrade periods.

Good seats require priority points in most cases.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

It's not a problem for me, and as a local it definitely works to my advantage for almost every game, and it's not a problem for the athletic department since those seats are paid for, but from the standpoint of wanting as big of crowds as possible for as many games as possible it's a problem.

It's really not. Attendance for college hoops in Texas is a demand problem. There's plenty of games where tickets are widely available from the box office or Stubhub for $5/seat and people aren't biting.

In the last 8 seasons of Aggie Basketball, these are the games we've been ranked in the AP Top 25 for conference home games:

2024: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2023: 2 conference home games ranked AP Top 25 - Ranked #24 vs Tennessee (sellout), Ranked #24 vs Alabama (sellout)
2022: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2021: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2020: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2019: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2018: 2 conference home games ranked AP Top 25 - Ranked #11 vs Florida (sellout) and LSU at the start of conference play
2017: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25

Any attendance issues we've had are simply because we've seemingly never really built any momentum during the regular season.
bobinator
AG
I don't know why I even respond to you on these threads. It's always the same thing, there's no way to improve attendance except to be better or play better teams and the fan experience makes no difference or anything. Nothing matters, eat at Arby's.
Proposition Joe
"I wish there were more season tickets to choose from a month before renewals are actually due... but even if there were, it's cheaper for me to buy individual games on the secondary."

So what exactly is it you are you wanting?

Seems like you are the one just rehashing the same tired commentary of "we should have more fans in the stands".

You've been saying attendance should be better for two decades now. Maybe the overwhelming amounts of data are wrong and really just a tweak to the fan experience will turn the tides. Maybe this time not just a frisbee dog halftime show but frisbee dogs set to the background of a Soulja Boy concert?
bobinator
AG
I mostly don't care anymore because nothing is ever going to change, but there's been several games even in the last few years where the crowd could have been better with some pretty basic changes. No point in going into it because obviously nobody cares to improve things, but there's been multiple missed opportunities.

We could solve 80% of them with turkey bowling though.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

I mostly don't care anymore because nothing is ever going to change, but there's been several games even in the last few years where the crowd could have been better with some pretty basic changes. No point in going into it because obviously nobody cares to improve things, but there's been multiple missed opportunities.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that there's room for improvement, but many of the suggestions people throw out there aren't actually thought through -- 90% of them revolve around price and there have been two decades of data that show price.does.not.matter.

So all I've really seen is a bunch of ideas that will require some work and might bump attendance up a couple hundred for a game, but will lose them the next game unless we're winning.

Ranking and opponent. That's all that matters. Everything else is hustling for a few hundred extra seats filled at a minimal profit.

You too often view things through the lens of a die hard college hoops fan and don't understand that the casual sports fan is not incentivized in the same ways.
bobinator
AG
Five or ten years ago sure, but I'm old now and lately I try to focus on the basic problems we have at Reed Arena that are barriers to having bigger crowds *for certain games* or that would make the experience better overall.

I can't help what all these other idiots post but it's not like the ticket purchasing/parking/Reed Arena attendance experience is exactly a well oiled machine.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Here's how I'd improve attendance across all sports besides football:
1. End existing football ticket pull system.
2 Starting December 1 of each academic year, your attendance at non-football events determines your pull order for football the following fall. Think of it as Student Priority Points. The existing Fan Rewards program has ways of rewarding points for staying until the end of games, bonus points for bad games etc.
3. New football pull system allows for a high priority point pull on Mondays, Seniors Tuesday, Juniors Wednesday, etc
jigsaw87
AG
Purchased season tickets for basketball for the first time today. Whoop!
monarch
S
07.23 is the deadline to renew
Peace for Ukraine!
woodiewood
bobinator said:

We had season tickets for decades and dropped them a few years ago for personal reasons and due to the late weekday games. Now we buy good locaton tickets online or at the ticket window for the games we go to.
woodiewood
Proposition Joe said:

bobinator said:

It's really not. Attendance for college hoops in Texas is a demand problem. There's plenty of games where tickets are widely available from the box office or Stubhub for $5/seat and people aren't biting.

In the last 8 seasons of Aggie Basketball, these are the games we've been ranked in the AP Top 25 for conference home games:

2024: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2023: 2 conference home games ranked AP Top 25 - Ranked #24 vs Tennessee (sellout), Ranked #24 vs Alabama (sellout)
2022: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2021: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2020: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2019: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25
2018: 2 conference home games ranked AP Top 25 - Ranked #11 vs Florida (sellout) and LSU at the start of conference play
2017: 0 conference home games ranked AP Top 25

Any attendance issues we've had are simply because we've seemingly never really built any momentum during the regular season.

Yep. Break into the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 for a year or two and Reed would be full for every conference game and tickets will be tough to get at a reasonable price..
monarch
S
AGREED...
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
Regarding attendance figures, the biggest problem we have is our inconsistency in how we play. We win a few games and then lose a bunch of games. Losing streaks of 6-7-8-9 games in a row are not cool and will impact ticket buying across the board.
Peace for Ukraine!
greg.w.h
AG
Supporting the team can affect outcome positively. So not supporting arguably makes winning harder. Reed when packed is beyond fun as was G. Rollie. Our traditions should help bridge the enthusiasm in tougher day, but realistically it's hard to stay hyped when the outcome is mixed.

The attendance thing is just part age parcel with where our former students that help fund the program live and whether it's realistic to be at every game. We should be glad for the funding not mad at the attendance. The AD might be able to help address the ticket reuse so seats fill in a helpful way since he seems to get mid-market venues. L

This can and should be marketed as a true local team with future potential pro and NBA talent and in addition the AD should help align student athlete journeys with professional development that could lead to higher level play. And tie that back into real-world development in perhaps a more realistic career path for most.

Aligning the two could lead to better local participation which could draw in talent and potentially put locals on equal footing for season tickets, but committed locals will need to invest in the team and in showing up. Can't just buy cheap tickets and complain about quality on the floor (though carping at book clubs might not be a terrible thing to do if you feel strongly about it like some here have expressed.)

Somewhere underneath it all is human choice that can be aligned to create great outcomes. We want to do that without manipulating.

I work with an investment firm in marketing as a technologist. I had to look up marketing terms during a presentation today in expanding empowerment of specifically women to feel capable to invest. The models are in effect experiments trying to tease out why people do what they do by expressing hypotheses and evaluating results against them.

My favorite today was CPA which is cost per acquisition and our approach reaching women is pushing the CPA down and also is both objectively and subjectively creating the magical engagement which means they don't just open a brokerage account.

Marketing isn't my thing, but seeing more creative types challenge themselves to take on more analytical thinking is fascinating. I'd add new creative that helps individuals see themselves supporting the team with photos could be effective, too. But don't use long shots. Zoom in.
Proposition Joe
TIL technologists is how robots refer to themselves in the working world.
timberag
AG
Check Ticket Exchange if you are interested in sharing one season ticket with an individual. Seat located down low at mid-court. Would see half of SEC games and half of non-SEC games.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.