Schloss Texas Contract

11,083 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TAMU1990
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
$1M for two years to cover the buyout ($400K less than he was making here), then $2.7M for the next 5 years.

I can't recall a coach at that level, who wasn't about to be fired, taking less money to cover a buyout, it normally just gets paid on top of an equivalent salary.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/baseball/2024/08/16/texas-basetball-jim-schlossnagle-contract-longhorns/74761090007/
well_endowed_ag
It obviously wasn't primarily about the money.
Aston 91
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

It obviously wasn't primarily about the money.
Not in the short term, but long term it's a 100% raise over what he was making here. Of course if he'd stayed here, he would've gotten a huge raise too.
gig_em02
We would have countered with more, assuming we wanted him. It looks like Trev had a better plan!
Eso si, Que es
So he gets $2.7 per year for 7 years but has to pay for his own buyout. Never heard of a coach being poached essentially having to pay their buyout.

20ag07
The schools always pay the coach being poached, outside of the base, call it "other compensation", and gross it up for taxes, because the coach is the party that broke the contract, not the poaching school.

I'm sure that's what's happening here, and the buyout will be compensation outside of the "base".

It's not normal for a coach to take that hit in the base to cover it. Usually the schools just pay it, and keep somebody they are stealing with a raise over what they were making.
StinkyPinky
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

So he gets $2.7 per year for 7 years but has to pay for his own buyout. Never heard of a coach being poached essentially having to pay their buyout.

It really just shows he wanted to be there rather than here, so probably best for both. Only logical conclusion. In my opinion ended up being the best thing for us so onwards and upwards. My only concern at this juncture is we beat the hell out of everyone next season. Won't fault him for following his heart. Will fault him tho for being a dbag.
TXAGBQ76
AG
And had he been an ethical, honest person, he could have done that here. I guess he left his family to go tu also. SMH
TAMU1990
AG
I'm ready for the ass kicking that will take place next season.
Shoefly!
AG
TAMU1990 said:

I'm ready for the ass kicking that will take place next season.

Like my grandson says" it's gonna be delicious!"
In4TheHuddle
AG
Not only is POS a dbag, but he's an emotionally driven idiot for accepting those terms. He was giving tu a dream scenario and that was the best he could negotiate. Maybe even tu knows he's really not worth it, comes with A LOT of baggage and they will most likely be looking for a new coach in a few years.
TAMU1990
AG
Schloss is/has been at the three baseball powers in this state and he is 0-2 with current players following him. If I was a tu parent that should be a red flag. It should be a red flag for any recruit too.
LB12Diamond
AG
There's a lot more red flags than just that one.
dermdoc
AG
Pretty clear that he was going to leave no matter what we offered. Which is fine.

Just do it with integrity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LB12Diamond
AG
We could not offer what was his focus. And it had nothing to do with baseball.
tjack16
AG
dermdoc said:

Pretty clear that he was going to leave no matter what we offered. Which is fine.

Yep. My thoughts as well. If he had left even a week after the finals, answered Zane's question with class, and told the team about it before bolting… I wouldn't be as mad. I'd be upset because we lost a good coach, but it wouldn't have stained his legacy like he did.

In reality, Texas and LSU are 1A and 1B in terms of top baseball jobs. A&M is a top 10 job but those two are historically the greatest. Sucks because they are rivals to us but it's true. So I can't fault him from a baseball perspective leaving for that job. It was the how and when that was the issue
LB12Diamond
AG
Incorrect

When he's playing for the first time ever for the NC as a head coach in just his 3rd year at A&M, shows he had everything needed baseball wise.

You were not paying attention if you missed his real motivation.
dermdoc
AG
tjack16 said:

dermdoc said:

Yep. My thoughts as well. If he had left even a week after the finals, answered Zane's question with class, and told the team about it before bolting… I wouldn't be as mad. I'd be upset because we lost a good coach, but it wouldn't have stained his legacy like he did.

In reality, Texas and LSU are 1A and 1B in terms of top baseball jobs. A&M is a top 10 job but those two are historically the greatest. Sucks because they are rivals to us but it's true. So I can't fault him from a baseball perspective leaving for that job. It was the how and when that was the issue
If sips didn't act like sips and wait to fire Pierce after the CWS, the Zane incident does not happen.

They can't help themselves.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
20ag07
Quote:

In reality, Texas and LSU are 1A and 1B in terms of top baseball jobs. A&M is a top 10 job but those two are historically the greatest. Sucks because they are rivals to us but it's true. So I can't fault him from a baseball perspective leaving for that job.
Other than FW being much closer to College Station than Baton Rouge (and say what you will about the guy's family life, he does seem to have a good relationship with his kids who were still there), I don't know why else he didn't just take the LSU job in 2021.

It wasn't a secret that Mainieri was done after the season. They certainly would have snatched him up after the CWS. They'd have rather had him than Jay Johnson at that point. It's very much the type of hire Woodward likes to make.

He'd probably have been happier there, given what we know now.
sharpdressedman
Someone with legitimate knowledge told me that Schloss was never all-in for A&M, only himself, despite his many public claims. Further, he decided to leave shortly after being told he had to accept a BBP renovation that did not expand its footprint. His bristly relationship with Alberts, the AD layoffs, and his buddy CDC being in his head reinforced his decision.

Events have exposed and highlighted his very significant professional and personal character flaws. We have successfully transitioned, which was an extraordinary accomplishment. He must carry heavy baggage and satisfy his new, impatient fan base.

We'll see what happens.
HoustonAg2106
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Schloss is/has been at the three baseball powers in this state and he is 0-2 with current players following him. If I was a tu parent that should be a red flag. It should be a red flag for any recruit too.

It should be, but it won't matter. He's a heck of a coach and will have success in Austin just like he has everywhere else he has been.
1876er
AG
gig_em02 said:

We would have countered with more, assuming we wanted him. It looks like Trev had a better plan!

You have to be in some serious denial to think a coach with zero head coaching experience is better plan than a coach with numerous trips to Omaha and played a game three in the CWS finals.
dermdoc
AG
1876er said:

gig_em02 said:

You have to be in some serious denial to think a coach with zero head coaching experience is better plan than a coach with numerous trips to Omaha and played a game three in the CWS finals.
So what were our options?
AWP 97
AG
Let's let the season and a few seasons play out before we just assume A&M isn't better off with Earley than Schloss. Also, I think it's a tremendous red flag that no players followed him from TCU or A&M. I don't know how much recruits and their parents pay attention or care but this would give me a lot of pause for concern. I can understand some kids will go to tu regardless of who the coach is but if I had comparative options, I would certainly look at that.
20ag07
It's fine to say "we feel good about where we are, given every thing".

It's ridiculous to say "Trev had a better plan all along and we didn't counteroffer a guy we hate now, yay!"

If Trev's "plan" was to hire Earley rather than counter with Schloss, he wouldn't have left originally.

Just like there was a several week gap where everyone here wanted Schloss to bring in Saarloos to A&M, but he had enough indication than he was in the mix that he hung around TCU first to see what happened.
dermdoc
AG
20ag07 said:

It's ridiculous to say "Trev had a better plan all along and we didn't counteroffer a guy we hate now, yay!"

If Trev's "plan" was to hire Earley rather than counter with Schloss, he wouldn't have left originally.

Just like there was a several week gap where everyone here wanted Schloss to bring in Saarloos to A&M, but he had enough indication than he was in the mix that he hung around TCU first to see what happened.
Our former baseball coach was going to the sips no matter what we offered.
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

20ag07 said:

Our former baseball coach was going to the sips no matter what we offered.

It is well understood now that Schloss was gone no matter what we tried to counter, but it is also silly to act like that was the preferred situation at the given time. Earley being hired and keeping the core of our boys was a silver lining in all of this, but don't pretend you wouldn't be the biggest schloss fan ever if he was still our coach going into 2025
TAMU1990
AG
sharpdressedman said:

Someone with legitimate knowledge told me that Schloss was never all-in for A&M, only himself, despite his many public claims. Further, he decided to leave shortly after being told he had to accept a BBP renovation that did not expand its footprint. His bristly relationship with Alberts, the AD layoffs, and his buddy CDC being in his head reinforced his decision.

Events have exposed and highlighted his very significant professional and personal character flaws. We have successfully transitioned, which was an extraordinary accomplishment. He must carry heavy baggage and satisfy his new, impatient fan base.

We'll see what happens.

If I had to guess we are going to expand the stadium to probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000+ not including SRO. Texas can not expand D-F, is in worse shape than Olsen, and has god awful turf that the locals cherish. There's no available land near the university where they build something new.

He traded down on facilities, so I don't know if stadium talk really mattered. Ironically, either stadium is miles better than TCU's where he spent 18 years. I think he always wanted to be at Texas, but took a reputation hit to get there.
BiochemAg97
AG
TAMU1990 said:

sharpdressedman said:

We'll see what happens.

If I had to guess we are going to expand the stadium to probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000+ not including SRO. Texas can not expand D-F, is in worse shape than Olsen, and has god awful turf that the locals cherish. There's no available land near the university where they build something new.

He traded down on facilities, so I don't know if stadium talk really mattered. Ironically, either stadium is miles better than TCU's where he spent 18 years. I think he always wanted to be at Texas, but took a reputation hit to get there.

Also, we are a couple years away from a completed renovation. CDC said that baseball/softball has to wait on football practice field renovations (where did Schloss hear that before). BTW, the football practice fields were supposed to be started this summer, but the is the historic building they want to tear down that has things on hold.
Aggies2009
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Incorrect

When he's playing for the first time ever for the NC as a head coach in just his 3rd year at A&M, shows he had everything needed baseball wise.

You were not paying attention if you missed his real motivation.

For the sake of argument let's say I wasn't paying attention.

What was his real motivation?
twk
AG
Quote:

If the goal was simply to get the job in Austin, he could have had it when they hired Pierce. However, CDC was not AD at that time (it was "interim" AD Mike Perrin). So, maybe he always wanted the t.u. job if the conditions were right, or maybe he just wanted to be at t.u. once CDC got the job. Who knows. Schloss doesn't think like the rest of us (and I don't just mean Aggies). That's one thing we've learned from this saga.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

Quote:

If the goal was simply to get the job in Austin, he could have had it when they hired Pierce. However, CDC was not AD at that time (it was "interim" AD Mike Perrin). So, maybe he always wanted the t.u. job if the conditions were right, or maybe he just wanted to be at t.u. once CDC got the job. Who knows. Schloss doesn't think like the rest of us (and I don't just mean Aggies). That's one thing we've learned from this saga.
Exactly.
LB12Diamond
AG
Austin lifestyle is the short version.

Question for you. Were you paying attention and missed it which would be interesting bc it was pretty obvious, disagree with this or actually curious.
20ag07
It's obvious he was a control freak. Control freaks are often more about control than they are about money, which is why he took the contract he did.

Obviously, at a school like TCU, he got used to having too much power, but not enough resources. We looked attractive with much more money, but it comes with a lot more oversight/power players involved, which he never liked.

He's going to think CDC can give him the same control level he was used to at TCU, and is pretty quickly going to find out it doesn't work that way at that type of university, just like it didn't here.
SchizoAg
AG
TAMU1990 said:

sharpdressedman said:

We'll see what happens.

It looks like there's at least as much room to expand Disch-Falk as BBP:

Bottom line, the swinger scene in College Station will never compete with the one in Austin, especially the LGBT+ segment.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.