Hydroxychloroquine...........

315,201 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Jabin
DadHammer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
barnyard1996 said:

Sending this link as not an answer but as a data point for discussion.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/dsp_ActiveIngredientDetails.cfm?AI=Hydroxychloroquine%20Sulfate%20Tablets&st=c

Thanks, I wonder where the millions of doses we received went?
Barnyard96
AG
I wonder too. I can only speculate the supply chain is being kept under wraps for the time being. People that are talking don't know, and people that know aren't talking.

cone
AG
If only there was this video posting website where the high priests of proper mask don/doff procedures could show the unwashed how it's done
74Ag1
AG
https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/long-island-doctor-tries-new-hydroxychloroquine-for-covid-19-patients/
Exsurge Domine
74Ag1 said:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/long-island-doctor-tries-new-hydroxychloroquine-for-covid-19-patients/

I think there was a doc on here who mentioned doxycycline an alternative. Great to hear about this, I know it's anecdotal but seeing that success in such an old and comorbid cohort is heartening.
Exsurge Domine
74Ag1 said:

Seems to be pretty significant if the numbers are correct. I've heard 80% mild cases, but of those 1/4 will have to be hospitalized, which I would assume is higher in the population that he was treating, of his patients only 14% had to be hospitalized, with a mortality rate of 4.2%, which I think is still great for their age and status
74Ag1
AG
One of 2 recommended therapeutic treatment options from CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html
Player To Be Named Later
AG
"A National Institutes of Health (NIH)-sponsored adaptive double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of remdesivir versus placebo in COVID-19 patients with pneumonia and hypoxia is enrolling non-pregnant persons aged 18 years and older with oxygen saturation of 94% on room air or requiring supplemental oxygen or mechanical ventilation"

I'd sure hate to draw the short straw and get a placebo.
FrioAg 00
AG
Double blinded, so your healthcare provider will also not know if you got the placebo.

FCBlitz
Infection_Ag11 said:

aggie-beta said:

I don't like Fauci either.

I don't have a quote on him but he is helping drive the policy to lie to the American public about wearing masks. They knew that masks, if properly worn, would help reduce the spread and lied to us all like we were little kids that didn't deserve the truth. They could have said there is a shortage so try these other options instead of medical grade masks and it would have spread a lot less than it has.

Now he acts like a medicine that many doctors believe in should not be widely used until the pandemic is over and the bodies are piled up.

F him.

He didn't lie to anyone, most people just fail to grasp the nuance.

Masks don't protect you, they protect everyone else FROM you (if worn properly, which most people don't do). If everyone (ie 80-90% of the population) wears masks correctly all day long, it has benefit in reducing disease transmission by so substantially decreasing the environmental virus burden that it has trouble spreading.

It is 100% accurate to say wearing a mask to Walmart does not decrease your chances of contracting the virus.

Masks also protect you from yourself. We touch our face 20+ times per hour. If folks are not washing hands enough, they can get the virus from hands to the face touching. Masks will decrease that type of transmission.
flyingaggie12
AG
Can we produce this domestically? India just banned all exports.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-05/india-bans-all-exports-of-trump-s-game-changer-virus-drug?srnd=premium
Bird Poo
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

Can we produce this domestically? India just banned all exports.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-05/india-bans-all-exports-of-trump-s-game-changer-virus-drug?srnd=premium
Didn't Trump announce that India was going to supply some of this stuff to the US? I could have misunderstood him during his PC yesterday but I remember him talking about India.
Barnyard96
AG
India has issued HCQ as a prime treatment protocol and banned all exporting of the drug.
Dad
AG
Do you others keep expecting the rate of increase in the number of confirmed cases to start outpacing the increase in deaths like me and it never happens?

I guess I am just optimistic by nature and I keep thinking we are the USA and we will figure out how to keep this from killing people better than other places.

I thought when this HCQ treatment started being used it would make a huge impact in deaths and I am not seeing it, but I'm also just taking a quick look day to day and not analyzing the numbers. Does anyone else see a positive trend?
Keegan99
AG
My suspicion is we're largely waiting until too late in the course of the disease in a patient to intervene with HCQ.

Based on the hypothesized mechanism, it's not likely to be effective once a patient requires hospitalization.
Barnyard96
AG
Faster tests will help greatly.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
barnyard1996 said:

Faster tests will help greatly.

Or getting more of the medical community to stop relying solely on a test with ~30% false negatives before treating people with fairly obvious Covid-19.

High fever, body aches, shortness of breath, etc, I'd contend it's fairly ridiculous to wait on a test result before getting someone on treatment.
cone
AG
HCQ isn't exactly harmless

it might seem like Tamiflu but it isn't
Barnyard96
AG
cone said:

Thats why we let doctors make the call with their patient.
Philip J Fry
AG
Keegan99 said:

My suspicion is we're largely waiting until too late in the course of the disease in a patient to intervene with HCQ.

Based on the hypothesized mechanism, it's not likely to be effective once a patient requires hospitalization.

Yeah, I don't get this. Waiting too late is like expecting a pain killer to regrow a limb that's been amputated.
Philip J Fry
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

aggie-beta said:

I don't have a quote on him but he is helping drive the policy to lie to the American public about wearing masks. They knew that masks, if properly worn, would help reduce the spread and lied to us all like we were little kids that didn't deserve the truth. They could have said there is a shortage so try these other options instead of medical grade masks and it would have spread a lot less than it has.

Now he acts like a medicine that many doctors believe in should not be widely used until the pandemic is over and the bodies are piled up.

F him.

Masks don't protect you, they protect everyone else FROM you (if worn properly, which most people don't do). If everyone (ie 80-90% of the population) wears masks correctly all day long, it has benefit in reducing disease transmission by so substantially decreasing the environmental virus burden that it has trouble spreading.

It is 100% accurate to say wearing a mask to Walmart does not decrease your chances of contracting the virus.

This is absolutely maddening. We are shutting down the economy and taking away people's jobs to slow the spread. Masks slow the spread and you cannot deny that. Fauci and the CDC live in a bubble and are completely out of touch with reality for the average American.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

aggie-beta said:

F him.

This is absolutely maddening. We are shutting down the economy and taking away people's jobs to slow the spread. Masks slow the spread and you cannot deny that. Fauci and the CDC live in a bubble and are completely out of touch with reality for the average American.

I'll table further discussion about this to keep the thread on track.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
went to Home Depot and a garden center today

mask usage is probably at 40%

80% of employees were masked. that's where the preference cascade will start
cone
AG
I absolutely see the new normal where businesses ask for those that shop to please wear a mask for the protection of their employees

there are nudges everywhere to get mask usage up
fig96
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Keegan99 said:

Yeah, I don't get this. Waiting too late is like expecting a pain killer to regrow a limb that's been amputated.
Because we don't have enough testing or supply of the drug (assuming effectiveness).

We don't know if someone has the condition early in order to give it to them because we can't test quickly enough, and if we did there isn't enough to go around.
DadHammer
AG
It is also helping people with more severe symptoms as well. According to what I have read, but sooner the better for sure.
Blackstreet
AG
My prediction is the RCT will show no significant benefit or minimal benefit due to when therapy is started (meaning too late in the course) and more severely infected patients. I am currently treating potentially higher risk patients with suspected disease early and not waiting for the test after ruling out (flu, strep, other respiratory pathogens) possible causes. It's a very small number thus far but you can't convince me it's not the appropriate thing to do at this point.
fig96
AG
DadHammer said:

It is also helping people with more severe symptoms as well. According to what I have read, but sooner the better for sure.
That seems to the opposite of everything we're hearing actually.
chris1515
AG
I read where India banned the export of HCQ. What is the supply situation like for that in the US?

Is it/can it be made here if current supplies are not enough?
DadHammer
AG
It helps early better, but it is still helpful with sicker patients. Have read lots of reports on this.
Ragoo
AG
cone said:

what are the risks then?
Ragoo
AG
cone said:

I absolutely see the new normal where businesses ask for those that shop to please wear a mask for the protection of their employees

there are nudges everywhere to get mask usage up
highly highly doubt it. Old habits die hard.
annie88
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

This isn't a thread about masks.

And Fauci's view on hydroxychloroquine is being oversimplified by many.
Then why was he touting it in 2013?

Cheetah01
AG
I agree. I think we will look back on this and find that Fauci has done more harm than good. Good guy. Bad at making policy.
DadHammer
AG
Make sure you turn this down when you get sick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.