Sanderson Stormlight

95,199 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Even Denth is a great character. Up there with Sadeas as such a complex, almost Identifiable, antagonist.
Micah97
AG
Cover art of new novel released:

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/17/behold-the-cover-to-rhythm-of-war-the-fourth-book-in-brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive/
hunter2012
AG

Shallan representing, I wonder if the flight trails are Kaladin & crew...
hunter2012
AG
Fun fact, apparently there used to be a Stormlight NSFW subreddit. It's just pictures of left hands...
Chase McGuire

Lathspell
AG
Hmm... last one was a better cover. Hopefully we are done with the pseudo love triangle.

I still think the best artwork for the entire series is:

/revision/latest?cb=20140104012916
Micah97
AG
https://www.tor.com/2020/08/18/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-seven/

Chapter 7 for those following along.
bangobango
AG
all this cosmere talk is making wonder if I've even read all these books y'all are talking about. A lot of this stuff goes right over my head.

Also, I guess I need to re-read Warbreaker. That is my least favorite Sanderson book, but now I'm thinking maybe I just didn't get "it."
Micah97
AG
bangobango said:

all this cosmere talk is making wonder if I've even read all these books y'all are talking about. A lot of this stuff goes right over my head.

Also, I guess I need to re-read Warbreaker. That is my least favorite Sanderson book, but now I'm thinking maybe I just didn't get "it."

I agree bango. I thought war breaker was mediocre at best and had to force myself through it. I really have no intention of re reading the book and I'm the type of person who will read books multiple times.
Chase McGuire
I liked Warbreaker and thought it had some good twists, but I also think Sanderson has improved a lot since writing it. It's not on the level of Stormlight or Mistborn.
Lathspell
AG
I put Warbreaker above books 2 and 3 of the Mistborn trilogy. Those were okay, but I would never reread them.

I'm about to start my Stormlight reread. So begins the long trek of 3000+ pages...
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm on Mistborn #1 and liking it so far.
Lathspell
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

The Final Empire is a fantastic book. The next two are definitely a dip, imo. Not bad, but not at the same level. I give the final empire a 10/10. The next two are either 6/10 or 7/10, for me. Still good, but I wouldn't put them in my top 6 or so of the Cosmere.
Chipotlemonger
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

The Final Empire is a fantastic book. The next two are definitely a dip, imo. Not bad, but not at the same level. I give the final empire a 10/10. The next two are either 6/10 or 7/10, for me. Still good, but I wouldn't put them in my top 6 or so of the Cosmere.

Interesting. I'm getting through the first at a pretty quick clip right now!
kapon
AG
Just finished it, but haven't gotten the next 2 books yet.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
hunter2012 said:

I really liked the prince/princess dynamic in that one, especially when she goes into the city and he keeps his identity secret to appear like a manipulative slumlord. Regardless the priest was my favorite. There are at least 2 character that I know of in Elantris that show up in Stormlight.

Good to know. It started off pretty slow, but the second half of the book is really good. Have about three hours left on it.

I've read the first Mistborn series and am finishing this. Should I read Warbreaker next?
hunter2012
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I believe the reason for this is that Final Empire almost reads like a heist book against the backdrop of an awesome setting and the other two fall closer to typical fantasy. The Well of Ascension is mostly court intrigue(little action until then end) and the Hero of Ages is an apocalyptic epic that has it's attention split for much of the book. Never mind that Kelsier was also absent. That being said, please read Secret History after the trilogy as it provides the full story of books 1,2, & 3.
Lathspell
AG
Oh... I have Arcanum Unbounded. Read Secret History way back and thought it was awesome.
Lathspell
AG
I love Warbreaker.

I also love the Wax and Wayne series. I prefer both Wax and Wayne to any other character in the Mistborn trilogy. Wayne is the best character in any book based on Scadrial.

DO NOT READ SECRET HISTORY UNTIL BANDS OF MOURNING. Huge spoilers.

You can always pick up Stormlight and you will not be wrong. I do think there are great rewards to reading Warbreaker before you read Stormlight becuase of all the easter eggs.

I read Elantris, but thought it is very slow. I guess I was expecting what I have learned to expect from Sanderson. I found it boring.
dc509
AG
Quote:

I read Elantris, but thought it is very slow. I guess I was expecting what I have learned to expect from Sanderson. I found it boring.

I felt similarly. I read an interview where some of his longtime collaborators were discussing his, and they said that in college he would get in trouble because he would write stories that he would sort forget to make anything happen in. He was really interested in how characters interact on a human level while all of these momentous things were going on around them, but gloss over the momentous events. There was absolutely some of that in Elantris. I didn't dislike it, but it's not something I'll read again.
Lathspell
AG
I agree completely. Didn't necessarily dislike, but no desire to read again.

Now, revisiting the world again would be interesting. I would also like to know what is going on there, since the shard-holder on that world is apparently deceased.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just started on Wax and Wayne, and I can already tell it's going to be good.

Would you consider this setting to be steampunk?
Chase McGuire
I don't think I would, but it definitely has that vibe to a point. It's more fantasy-western than anything.
hunter2012
AG
Fantasy Western/Victorian(especially in the city).

Also DallasTeleAg is probably right, if you want to steer completely clear of spoilers don't read Secret History until you finish Bands of Mourning. I didn't, and it's not terrible spoilers, but it is spoilers. So the payoff is probably worth it...

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I'm about to start my Stormlight reread. So begins the long trek of 3000+ pages...
Just started that late last week and am already 3/4 of the way thru the Way of Kings. may need to either slow down or read something inbetween. at this rate i will be done a month+ before Rhythm of War.

on that note, its crazy how many little things you pick up on re-read. even on the 3rd or 4th time. little nods or lines of narrative that make me go "oh damn, how did i miss that before?"

for example: when discussing Gavilar's death and the opinion those had about him, like how everyone thinks he wrote the message to Dalinar with his own blood (when it fact it was Szeth). All the talk about how he changed and was more philosophical, yet juxtaposing that with the Prologue of RoW, makes him such a more complex character that i am even more curious to peel the layers back on.
Lathspell
AG
Yeah, I'm halfway through words of radiance now. Some of the crazy things to read are the little inserts at the beginnings of chapters. I just saw one several chapters back that was literally a line from an ancient song of the Listeners that basically says the humans are the Voidbringers. Brando... that sneaky devil!

Shouldn't have to spoiler tag that... it's been out for nearly 3 years now and this is a Stormlight thread.

There is definitely a lot I pick up on when I reread the series.
Chase McGuire
Lathspell
AG
Now when do I get leatherbound version?
boboguitar
AG
Already pre-ordered
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Up to date on Wax and Wayne. The whole Mistborn world is awesome, but you can really see the advancements in his writing in the second arch. Just wish they were longer!

Starting on TWOK now. Wasn't able to buy Secret History on Audible, but plan to read it later.
bdkirk
AG
I'm extremely jealous that you're getting to read these for the first time! Mistborn for sure, but especially Stormlight now. So so good.
Lathspell
AG
First time with Way of Kings?

Fun ride, ahead! You will soon read some of the most epic moments in literary history!
Chase McGuire
Finished WoK for probably the 8th time. Still my favorite book, though Oathbringer may surpass it one day. About halfway through WoR now. Still so many mysteries unsolved. Looking forward to RoW even more now if possible.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've read all 3 just once a piece...I think Oathbringer may be my favorite. Hard to say though.
Lathspell
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I've read all 3 just once a piece...I think Oathbringer may be my favorite. Hard to say though.
Wow... you definitely need to reread. You catch so much more you never did the first time. Especially in the Sanderlanch at the end of Oathbringer. So freaking much happens.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.