Sanderson Stormlight

95,320 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chase McGuire said:

Might as well give up on Kingkiller. Last one released in 2011, and Rothfuss shows no sign of progress on the last one.

I gave up on Rothfuss when he declared that he was too upset by Trump being elected to write. **** that guy in his ear. Stop making excuses for not having published the 3rd book in a trilogy you claimed was completed before the first book published.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Finished Edgedancer, good little read!
bearamedic99
AG
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/01/sign-up-now-for-a-free-ebook-of-the-way-of-kings-by-brandon-sanderson/

Book one is free tomorrow only
Quad Dog
AG
Cool that Brandon was the one who pushed for it
hunter2012
AG
pretty clever marketing too, anyone that reads WoK will want to buy more.
Micah97
AG
While not as big of a fan of words of radiance and oathbringer, Wok is probably my favorite fantasy book. Kaladin's arc is amazing in the book and the scene where he jumps from the bridge and states the first ideal is amazing.
AgLiving06
I dunno.

Word of Radiance has one of the best lines of the series from Kaladin:

"Honor's dead, but I'll see what I can do."

and then in Oathbringer, when you figure out Dalinar's backstory and what he goes through...wow.
Proposition Joe
Yeah the bit with Dalinar and his wife... it'd been a long time since I uttered "oh no" out loud while reading.
CapCityAg89
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Finished Edgedancer last night. What an enjoyable author in that he even has an epilogue that tells you why he did certain things ("this event didn't fit the timeline so I needed to give the reader something that showed the shift from this to this").

It took me some time post-Dark Tower to find a series where the characters were actually fleshed out enough to where I cared for them... tried a handful including Wheel of Time and Steven Erikson's stuff... But I think I've finally found the author to go on a deep dive with.

Wait?! You cared about the characters in Dark Tower more than Wheel of Time?? That's nuts. SK made HIMSELF a major character in DT. Good series but nowhere near WOT.
Proposition Joe
CapCityAg89 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Finished Edgedancer last night. What an enjoyable author in that he even has an epilogue that tells you why he did certain things ("this event didn't fit the timeline so I needed to give the reader something that showed the shift from this to this").

It took me some time post-Dark Tower to find a series where the characters were actually fleshed out enough to where I cared for them... tried a handful including Wheel of Time and Steven Erikson's stuff... But I think I've finally found the author to go on a deep dive with.

Wait?! You cared about the characters in Dark Tower more than Wheel of Time?? That's nuts. SK made HIMSELF a major character in DT. Good series but nowhere near WOT.

I've openly admitted that my love for King's writing isn't based around any kind of critical achievement -- I know it's far from brilliant and he has a ton of faults.

As for Wheel of Time... I've only read the first novel, and I like it a lot better when it was called Lord of the Rings. I've heard good things about the later books in the series (and also bad things about the even later books in the series)... But the first one wasn't even derivative -- it was straight up plagiarism.
KidDoc
AG
Proposition Joe said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Proposition Joe said:

I've openly admitted that my love for King's writing isn't based around any kind of critical achievement -- I know it's far from brilliant and he has a ton of faults.

As for Wheel of Time... I've only read the first novel, and I like it a lot better when it was called Lord of the Rings. I've heard good things about the later books in the series (and also bad things about the even later books in the series)... But the first one wasn't even derivative -- it was straight up plagiarism.
Yeah all those elves, dwarves, dragons, and orcs- and only women having magic (for the most part). Straight up plagiarism. (sarcasm)

You could say 85% + of fantasy after 1980 is LOTR plagiarism by that definition.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearamedic99
AG
Proposition Joe
KidDoc said:

Proposition Joe said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Yeah all those elves, dwarves, dragons, and orcs- and only women having magic (for the most part). Straight up plagiarism. (sarcasm)

You could say 85% + of fantasy after 1980 is LOTR plagiarism by that definition.

Almost everything is derivative from Tolkien no doubt, but Wheel of Time Book 1 was straight up LoTR with different names.

I've read that Jordan gets away from that and expands the world/characters starting with Book 2, but Book 1 was such a ripoff I had no desire to dive into #2.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This is a wrong take.
PatAg
AG
Proposition Joe said:

KidDoc said:

Proposition Joe said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Almost everything is derivative from Tolkien no doubt, but Wheel of Time Book 1 was straight up LoTR with different names.

I've read that Jordan gets away from that and expands the world/characters starting with Book 2, but Book 1 was such a ripoff I had no desire to dive into #2.
How is it straight up LotR?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I have no idea
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Having just read The Eye of the World (WoT #1) for the first time, and midway thru book #2, i too am struggling to find the blatant rip offs of Tolkien. There are some definite similarities and tropes that are used in fantasy as a whole, but aside from "small town boy goes on journey with mysterious wizard-like person", and perrin = perregrine/pippin in name at least....i just dont see it. Maybe the Myrdraal (sp?) can be compared loosely to the Nazgul (faceless/black cloaks/etc) but that gets blown up in book 2 pretty quick.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Regardless, I should get out of this thread quick! I am about 40% of the way through Oathbringer and have avoided spoilers.
Proposition Joe
I think you guys are remembering the series as a whole or much of Book 2 if you are protesting the LoTR comparison this much.

There's literally dozens and dozens of internet discussion about how much of Book 1 is far too similar to LoTR. My take isn't unique.
Chipotlemonger
AG

I couldn't help it.
heddleston
AG
When EotW was published, no one was printing anything but stuff that was little more than a Tolkien homage. Once Jordan got a successful book in and had a deal in place he was able to diverge from Tolkien and do some different stuff, I think he even admitted as much.
PatAg
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I think you guys are remembering the series as a whole or much of Book 2 if you are protesting the LoTR comparison this much.

There's literally dozens and dozens of internet discussion about how much of Book 1 is far too similar to LoTR. My take isn't unique.
aside from a group of young people leaving a village to go on a journey with a warrior and a wizard, and picking up a couple others along the way, the actual people in the group have no real similarity. The background of the region they came from, the "lore" is not similar. The ongoing story as we understand is also not similar outside of "evil has returned"
Hudson2508
AG
I'm a huge fan of both series and never once thought they were similar. Been a long time since I read LoTR though. Weird thing to hang your hat on.
Proposition Joe
I didn't realize the Wheel of Time guys were so defensive

I did some googling. Apparently Jordan actually stated it was his goal for the first book to remind people of LoTR in tone, style and substance so that fantasy readers felt a sense of comfort and familiarity.

So... yeah... seems weird for anyone to be so adamant that they aren't very much alike at all.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You're getting a little hyperbolic with those statements. Did you even finish the book?

Quote:

For perhaps the first 100 pages, I wanted to have that feel simply to establish that this is the foundation....Then, having said this is what you expect and this is the familiar ground, now, kiddies, we're going someplace else.
WoT Interview Search
Proposition Joe
This is such a weird thing for people to get defensive about.

I said I didn't enjoy Eye of the World because it felt too much like a direct knockoff of Lord of the Rings.

The author has literally come out and said that modeled a great deal of the first novel around LoTR.

To say the novel was nothing like Lord of the Rings is allowing your fandom to make you defensive. I'll drop the subject.

Chipotlemonger
AG
You're putting words into the author's mouth. 100 pages does not equal a "great deal" of the book.
Micah97
AG
Which Knights Radiant are you? I was a Windrunner

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/announcing-the-official-knights-radiant-order-quiz-stormlight-phone-wallpaper/
hunter2012
AG
Willshaper
AgLiving06
Skybreaker
Saxsoon
AG
Edgedancer
maverick2076
Windrunner
Lathspell
AG
Elsecaller

I guess that's cool... but i really wanted to fly...

I was 50% Skybreaker and 74% Elsecaller
heddleston
AG
i can just about be whichever i want:

64% Edgedancer
63% Lightweaver
62% Windrunner & Dustbringer

I could really use an edgedancers metabolism right about now.
Eliminatus
AG
A Sanderson leather bound Kickstarter?!

IN!

Glad I checked that page.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.