Sanderson Stormlight

95,261 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know! Someone post the link when that goes live.
Lathspell
AG
I really want the leatherbound Warbreaker book, but it's sold out. I just ordered the leatherbound The Final Empire
bangobango
AG
Micah97 said:

Which Knights Radiant are you? I was a Windrunner

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/announcing-the-official-knights-radiant-order-quiz-stormlight-phone-wallpaper/

Windrunner also.
Lathspell
AG
Was rereading Stormlight again; couldn't wait any longer. I don't know why, but I get really giddy when reading Oathbringer and hear the leaders refer to the "Windrunners" as they are talking strategy. Talking about where they were and what they were doing. The long buildup of two huge books to this point carries such a payoff that this idea of one of the orders already organizing and being referred to in that way is just really cool.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Pretty cool little quiz setup. I got Truthwatcher 67% as my highest. Stoneward 2nd at 64%. Lowest was Lightweaver at 28%.

Finished Oathbringer over the weekend! Damn good book. How do y'all order and rank the first 3 books?
MW03
AG
Lathspell
AG
For me, it goes Words of Radiance, Oathbringer, Way of Kings.

Way of Kings just takes so long to get going. I actually thought it was overrated from what others had said. Don't get me wrong, the last 3rd of the book was fantastic, A-tier. However, it just takes a long time to get there, to introduce the world and characters. I believe it is necessary and pays off later, but still paced a little slow.

Oathbringer's dive into Dalinar's story was just pure gold. He went from 2nd favorite character to favorite character in the series. It took me my second read through to truly understand everything that happened in the end of the book. It does suffer from some pacing issues in the middle, but overall an absolute great book. I love how everything seems to be happening in a different way than it ever did before in Roshar's history.

Kaladin starts to suffer from whiny character syndrome a little too much. Hopefully he isn't in this frame of mind for the next 2 books. It was also great seeing all of bridge 4 start to com into their own. As for Shallan, the first book she was boring, the second book she was awesome, and the 3rd book had her start to get a bit annoying.

Words of Radiance is just entirely awesome. Every character's arc was fantastic and the ending was more epic than any other story I have read. When he says the words... I mean... yes please! I also found WoR to be the best paced of all the books, so far.

Overall though, the entire series is epicness of a level I have never read before. A universe that spans multiple worlds with their own stories and how they interact is so cool. POSSIBLE COSMERE SPOILERS I still believe we will get introduced to more world jumpers other than Hoid. I also can't wait to find out more about Hoid and what he is doing. When you read more of the cosmere and arcanum unbound, you start to find all the little easter eggs. Like the lighthouse keeper in shadesmar asking Kaladin what heightening he was. Hoid practicing allomancy in WoR, and FREAKING NIGHTBLOOD!!! I mean... you also see Vasher and Vivenna in Roshar? That makes me giddy for a Warbreaker sequel! I am now starting to wonder if we may get a Kelsier appearance in Roshar...
Proposition Joe
Agreed on that ranking, though I actually think one of Oathbringer's biggest flaws is that Sanderson didn't insist people read Edgedancer prior to Oathbringer, or to just make Oathbringer even longer by incorporating Edgedancer into it.

Lift played too key a role in Oathrbringer to treat Edgedancer as "side story".
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a great point. I am very glad that o read Edgedancer in between books!
Micah97
AG
Man I REALLY enjoyed Way of Kings. It is literally my favorite fantasy book of all time and have read it 7-8 times. For me, the pacing was perfect and the climatic ending was amazing. I enjoyed it much more than Words of Radiance. Oathbringer comes in second up to this point.

I do not enjoy Shallan's character and that's probably why Words falls short for me. She is well written and fits within the story, but just do not like the personality Sanderson gave her.
maverick2076
FYI, the Kickstarter is live. It was fully funded in 3 minutes and has already surpassed all the stretch goals.
Lathspell
AG
Got my copy! Couldn't justify the numbered copies for $500, but I did the $250 one.
Chase McGuire
maverick2076
I did the same package.
Madmarttigan
AG
Damnit I'm going to have to start now to finish my reread .

After peace talks anyways.
Average Joe
AG
tv1113 said:

Damnit I'm going to have to start now to finish my reread .

After peace talks anyways.
I just finished the Bobiverse trilogy on Audible yesterday. I'm on the same path as you now. Peace talks tomorrow and then reread of Stormlight.

Battle Ground, the next Dresden Files, is out in September so a small break for that.
maverick2076
They sent out a poll to gauge interest in what further stretch goals they can add.
Madmarttigan
AG
Started reading Hobb so not sure if I'm quite up to the Sanderson reread.

For some reason rereading Dresden files is really really easy but Sanderson is a damn epic undertaking.
hunter2012
AG
Has anyone had issues reading facial expressions with this mask mandate? It keeps reminding me of the Southern Scaladrians in the Wax and Wayne books...
Micah97
AG
https://www.tor.com/2020/07/23/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-prologue-and-chapter-one/

First chapter and prologue of the new book are available to read.
Chase McGuire
I like that he does this for the fans, but I always find myself holding off on reading these pre-release chapters. Gotta have the whole book at once!

Just finished my Mistborn re-read. Onto Stormlight!
Madmarttigan
AG
Previews just make me realize how much I've forgotten. There are so many details and nuances to these books that it is impossible to keep up with. Especially once you start into the cosmere as a whole which is why I have avoided diving deep into the cosmere details. Hard enough just to keep up with Stormlight content.
Micah97
AG
Tor.com has been releasing an article every Thursday morning about the stormlight world to get you a m to speed. One was about the different knights radiants and known radiants. One was about the heralds and their current whereabouts. Very informative. You can also go to coppermind and get lost there with information.
Micah97
AG
I read them and then re-read in case there is more prologue or it's only part of the chapter when the actual book comes out.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
IIRC, I think he actually had released rough drafts of both chapters while back. I just found the details and polish added to be incredibly fascinating. And just based on these here, RoW seems to be significantly darker in tone IMO compared with the previous 3.5 books
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Chase McGuire
The Stormlight Archive is going to be two 5-book arcs, so it wouldn't surprise me to see book 4 be pretty grim all around before book 5 wraps up the first half.
Micah97
AG
https://www.tor.com/2020/07/28/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-two-and-three/

Chapter 2 and 3
Lathspell
AG
My only hesitation on this book is that the main backstory will be Eshonai and Venli. Both of which were usually my least favorite chapters.
PatAg
AG
Looks like its time to reread from the very beginning again.
Proposition Joe
DallasTeleAg said:

My only hesitation on this book is that the main backstory will be Eshonai and Venli. Both of which were usually my least favorite chapters.

Agreed. To me those were both the most confusing and most boring chapters. I glossed over much of it to get back to literally any of the other characters.
Quad Dog
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I probably would have said the same thing about Shallan from the early books before reading more about her and her backstory in the more recent ones.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yep, I'll give Sanderson the benefit of the doubt on this one!
Chase McGuire
Lathspell
AG
Agreed. Shallan was a trudge to get through in WoK. In WoR, her chapters were great.

I guess, all the backstories just take such a far backseat to Dalinar's backstory, that I don't remember them that fondly. Seeing Dalinar's character arc was absolutely fantastic. What a character.
heddleston
AG
Dalinar is maybe my favorite character of all time. Such a dude. I just finished reading the first book of Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (The Black Prism) and enjoyed it, but cant decide whether to go ahead and read the rest of the series or begin my Stormlight re-read.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.