Sanderson Stormlight

95,254 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
AgLaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ordered Book 4 and started my re-read if the first three yesterday.

I got into this series because of a thread on this board and have now read nearly everything Sanderson has written (in the Cosmere). Thanks Texags! We know stuff.
Hudson2508
AG
It's going well, other than hating Faile.
Lathspell
AG
Please don't post any info about the chapters being released for those who want to wait for the book.
maverick2076
They passed the $6 million mark on the Kickstarter today.
Lathspell
AG
So glad I got in on the first round!
Micah97
AG
https://www.tor.com/2020/08/04/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-four-and-five/

Next two chapters
Chipotlemonger
AG
I may have to jump off of this thread! Don't want any spoilers.
Lathspell
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I may have to jump off of this thread! Don't want any spoilers.
You would hope others would respect that new scenes from an unreleased book should fall under the no spoiler rule.

After the book is released, I would say all bets are off. I think I am going to take a couple days off work to binge it.
Chase McGuire
Chase McGuire

Last one for those who just want quick recaps to catch up before RoW.
boboguitar
AG
Has there been a release date set? I remember in his yearly address he said it would be this year.
Chase McGuire
November 17, I believe.
AgLaw
AG
Just looked up The Way of Kings on IMDB, and the only note mentioned that the initial script came in at 250 pages, which is about 4.5 hours of screen time, and Sanderson is hoping for a TV adaptation, rather than film. Anyone heard any rumors about this?

After the success of GoT, I would think HBO or Showtime would be interested. If done right, this series could be a phenomenal series. That said, at Sanderson's current pace, there is no way the show won't catch up to the source material, running the risk of a GoT-style disaster.
Chase McGuire
Yeah, I think the answer here is waiting until it's closer to completion. For all we know, there are important clues in the first 3 books that seem innocuous but are important in the grand scheme. It would be easy for a show to miss them without the full picture.
Lathspell
AG
AgLaw said:

That said, at Sanderson's current pace
Poorly phrased.

Sanderson's current pace is no detriment to anything. I would have said, with how early in the series we are, the show would catch up soon. No one's writing pace even compares to Sanderson.

Sanderson is writing his own screenplay for The Last Empire, so we'll see how that goes.
Madmarttigan
AG
It would be silly to do a movie in stormlight for obvious reasons or to start a show now. Sanderson is currently the most rapid fantasy writer I've ever seen with how he is pumping out material.

I don't want a show pressuring him to go even faster and putting out a lower quality product. Would rather him go at his own pace and maybe once he is working on the last quarter of the books start the show.

Dude is going to have to take a break at some point.
AgLiving06
AgLaw said:

Just looked up The Way of Kings on IMDB, and the only note mentioned that the initial script came in at 250 pages, which is about 4.5 hours of screen time, and Sanderson is hoping for a TV adaptation, rather than film. Anyone heard any rumors about this?

After the success of GoT, I would think HBO or Showtime would be interested. If done right, this series could be a phenomenal series. That said, at Sanderson's current pace, there is no way the show won't catch up to the source material, running the risk of a GoT-style disaster.

Turning his books into a movie would be a travesty.

I'm of the exact same opinion as you. GoT showed how to handle fantasy of this nature and need to stick with it.
maverick2076
Book 5 is supposed to close out the first major arc of Stormlight. I think he plans to take a bit of a break to focus on other projects before he starts the second arc with book six.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
tv1113 said:

Dude is going to have to take a break at some point.

He won't. The guy takes a break from writing by writing other things. He loves what he does and there is something so heartening when compared to the likes of GRRM or Rothfuss.

With regards to a tv adaptation, any Stormlight series is going to necessitate no less than 2 seasons of 10 episodes, to truly do it justice IMO. If you presume the first 5 of stormlight could stand on its own (much like mistborn era 1 vs era 2), you are talking no less than 10 seasons of tv. A serious commitment of both time and $$ with no guarantee it resonates like GOT did. I would assume BS would be involved in a serious way to help with any Easter eggs for the readers and connections to later in the series but at least he would finish the 5th book before a tv production would get there. If it somehow went beyond that, well then....cross that bridge, but BRandon would have to channel his inner GRRM and have a D&D-like summit to discuss the end game.

But damn, how I wish it would happen.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Madmarttigan
AG
Problem with any Sanderson novel is almost all of them would require a much heftier budget than GoT did in the first couple seasons. So much larger risk/reward for the studios on whether it will be a success or not.

It could turn into some cheesy sci fi channel stuff pretty quick without a decent budget.

Think this is an issue with redoing Dresden Files on TV as well, or pretty much most other fantasy novels. Overall pretty shocked Wheel of Time got picked up.
Absolute
AG
Personally not worried about Sandersons stuff going to screen. I think it would be much harder than got to do. The Witcher will probably be a good test. It is much more fantasy than got was. I think they are doing well with it so far. Sanderson, anything of his, would be harder.

I'm good with enjoying all the various stuff he puts out when ever he puts it out. Would hate for Hollywood types to mess him up.

Trying to work up the dedication to do a whole reread..... Have you considered that by the time we get to the end of this, a reread will have to start like 2 years before....
AgLaw
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

AgLaw said:

That said, at Sanderson's current pace
Poorly phrased.

Sanderson's current pace is no detriment to anything. I would have said, with how early in the series we are, the show would catch up soon. No one's writing pace even compares to Sanderson.

You are correct. That was poorly phrased. What I meant was his current pace for Stormlight Archives, which is a new volume every 2-3 years, not mentioning his other publications. He's cranking out his Cosmere at a prolific rate.

And as a SOIAF fan, I'm grateful.
maverick2076
I do a reread every time a new book comes out. As soon as I finish the Dresden Files, I'll probably start The Way of Kings again.
Absolute
AG
Me too.
AgLaw
AG
maverick2076 said:

I do a reread every time a new book comes out. As soon as I finish the Dresden Files, I'll probably start The Way of Kings again.

It's sooooo good second time through. I have the Fandom wiki pulled up on my phone and check every name and reference. You really get a deeper understanding of the story and the larger picture Sanderson is drawing.
Proposition Joe
For those that think the previously linked summaries are a bit too light, but don't have the time to hammer out a 1000pg/book re-read, this guy has done an excellent 45 minute recap of the first book, though sadly it doesn't look like he has done one for Book 2 and 3.

PatAg
AG
I just want to see the bridge crossings on screen, I want to see shardplate summons. I like to think Sanderson would hopefully be allowed to decide who gets to bring his vision to screen, and they choose someone truly visionary.
hunter2012
AG
I agree, but it needs to be big pockets willing to make a franchise of the entire cosmere. tv shows and movies especially Mistborn and Stormlight.
Quad Dog
AG
Why not animation? There are so many great animation shows right now that aren't necessarily geared towards kids.
I still think Mistborn would make an amazing video game. You play as Vin exploring the city, developing powers, and spying at the balls.
hunter2012
AG
Any game about a Mistborn would be awesome.
boboguitar
AG
hunter2012 said:

Any game about a Mistborn would be awesome.

Make it set in the wax/Wayne time period and I'm in.
hunter2012
AG
True but the ash fall skies and the final empire would be an awesome setting:

W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Sanderson should release a joke book of one armed Herdazian jokes at some point
boboguitar
AG
hunter2012 said:

True but the ash fall skies and the final empire would be an awesome setting:

There is an official tabletop RPG out there.

I really want to try it out but my storytelling/DM ability is pretty lacking.
Lathspell
AG
I think an animated version could be cool.

I just don't see a live action version being done well. I don't see a streaming service or HBO putting up the money required to make it as it should be. I also think it is too high fantasy to have the mass appeal that something like GoT had.

As a film series, it is too long and would be cut to crap.

For those reasons, I think animated is our only option for a good adaptation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.