Sanderson Stormlight

95,230 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sanderson finished Skyward 3 the other day and Wax & Wayne 4 is next on his checklist.
OasisMan
AG
heddleston said:

Sanderson finished Skyward 3 the other day and Wax & Wayne 4 is next on his checklist.
hes a friggin machine
Karrde
AG
Have y'all not read the ebook for way of kings prime?
Lathspell
AG
Nope.
bearamedic99
AG
Sorry but remind me of the difference between WoK and WoK Prime?
Lathspell
AG
Apparently, everything.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dalinar gets free shipping from Kholinar to Urithiru and select visions on demand.

For a serious answer:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-way-of-kings-prime/
Chipotlemonger
AG
Popping in for a quick post, then I am back out and it's off the Watchlist again for me!

I think I have other posts in this thread on reading recs for Stormlight. I started the thread in fact asking if Edgedancer was necessary or not. In hindsight, I am glad I read it before Oathbringer! Anyways, after finishing Oathbringer and waiting for Rhythm of War, I decided to jump into other parts of the Cosmere.

I got hooked.

Have read the first Mistborn trilogy, just started Elantris yesterday, and have Warbreaker queued up after that. Apparently Warbreaker is great to read before Oathbringer, but that ship sailed already.

I think that after Warbreaker I will read the Mistborn 2nd trilogy before jumping back to Stormlight. Based on non-spoiler reviews of RoW, I don't feel like I need to rush it just to read that.
Lathspell
AG
Read Dawnshard before Rhythm of War.

Also, I believe the last book in the Wax and Wayne series is due out by end of year, or early next year. He is a third of the way through it, now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Read Dawnshard before Rhythm of War.

Also, I believe the last book in the Wax and Wayne series is due out by end of year, or early next year. He is a third of the way through it, now.
Forgot that one! Will do.

Okay I am back away from the thread now.
hunter2012
AG
Elantris and Warbreaker are both stand alone. Though Warbreaker connects to Oathbringer it's just some loose connections. If you're hooked then I would also recommend Arcanum Unbounded as it further connects some of the different planets/series.

Do read Mistborn Secret History though after Bands of Mourning but before Rhythm of War, as well as the Emperor's Soul after Elantris, both are in Arcanum Unbounded along with Edgedancer. Although not necessary, if you want to see the larger story developing across the Cosmere I would recommend at minimum Secret History. The Emperor's Soul has no bearing on the Cosmere but it a good story that takes place on the same world as Elantris.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So they now have White Sands on Audible, with voices for each individual character.

Story obviously lacks converting from a graphic novel to an audiobook compared to his other works, but it was the last thing in the Cosmere I had not read, so I appreciated getting to know the characters, especially with items from Taldain being featured more and more in Stormlight/W&W
BryanAggie2013
AG
I read through the whole prose version of White Sand that he sends out as a Word Document to his email list subscribers. I know it was changed a little for the graphic novels, but I've just never been able to get into that style. I think it gave me a pretty good feel for how Taldain fits into the Cosmere.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Update: Finished Elantris and Warbreaker recently. I preferred Elantris much more I would have to say.

Currently on Wax & Wayne 1! Want to read through the current releases and the other short stories y'all mentioned that I have not gotten to yet before Rhythm of War.
Lathspell
AG
Don't get that, at all. I found Elantris boring as hell. Warbreaker is fantastic.
Chipotlemonger
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Don't get that, at all. I found Elantris boring as hell. Warbreaker is fantastic.
Don't get me wrong, they are both very good. Personally I think I just liked a couple of the Elantris characters better and how they were written. I also liked the overall world and story better there.

In Warbreaker, the Lightsong arc is great though.
Bobcat-Ag
https://kingswildproject.com/collections/mistborn

These look pretty sweet, but I love cards and the art is pretty great.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Anybody read any of Sanderson's stuff outside of the cosmere or WOT? What did you like the best?
heddleston
AG
The Reckoners trilogy is basically a YA version The Boys as I understand it. Never read/watched the latter but Reckoners was fun. Also the Starsight series, while also YA, is a fun read as well. I read the Dark One graphic novel and it was fine.
Quad Dog
AG
heddleston said:

The Reckoners trilogy is basically a YA version The Boys as I understand it. Never read/watched the latter but Reckoners was fun. Also the Starsight series, while also YA, is a fun read as well. I read the Dark One graphic novel and it was fine.
Good explanation of both. I liked Reckoners more than I've liked Starsight. But they are both fun. They both do lean YA, know that going in and don't let some of the immaturity bother you too much.
Lathspell
AG
Agree with the Reckoner's and Starsight books. I also really enjoyed the Rithmatist, though I can't remember it much.

It almost seems like Sanderson only writes YA outside of the Cosmere.
BryanAggie2013
AG
I REALLY enjoyed The Rithmatist. I don't know why, but something about the story just really intrigued me. Probably didn't hurt that I read it on our annual beach vacation either.

Just got The Reckoners series and the first couple of books in Skyward last week and plan to dig into them in December.
maverick2076
Legion is really good too.
bearamedic99
AG
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2021/

Lots of stuff in there

Last Wax and Wayne book out Christmas 2022
Next Stormlight book out Christmas 2023 or maybe early 2024
Film versions of Mistborn and Stormlight in the works
Maybe a video game unrelated to previously published material
Quad Dog
AG
bearamedic99 said:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2021/

Lots of stuff in there

Last Wax and Wayne book out Christmas 2022
Next Stormlight book out Christmas 2023 or maybe early 2024
Film versions of Mistborn and Stormlight in the works
Maybe a video game unrelated to previously published material

The dude is a writing machine.
Skillet Shot
Just finished warbreaker. By far my favorite Sanderson book besides stormlight archive. About to start cytonic. I usually listen to his books in audio format but can't get over the valley girl accent in the skyward series. Kindle it is.
bangobango
AG
So funny to see people's different taste. Mark me down as one who did not enjoy Warbreaker but did really like Elantris.
Lathspell
AG
bangobango said:

So funny to see people's different taste. Mark me down as one who did not enjoy Warbreaker but did really like Elantris.
That's so strange. I had to push myself to finish Elantris, and thought it extremely boring. Warbreaker is one of my favorite Sanderson books.

I also had no idea Cytonic had come out. I guess I'm going to have to go pick that up, tomorrow. I need a refresher on what happened in Starsight, though.
heddleston
AG
Yeah im about 1/3 of the way through it, the hardest part for me was remembering who all the alien races were.
maverick2076
DallasTeleAg said:

bangobango said:

That's so strange. I had to push myself to finish Elantris, and thought it extremely boring. Warbreaker is one of my favorite Sanderson books.

I also had no idea Cytonic had come out. I guess I'm going to have to go pick that up, tomorrow. I need a refresher on what happened in Starsight, though.

Make sure you read the 3 novellas that are out also. They come between Starsight and Cytonic and tell what everyone else is doing during that timeframe.
Micah97
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

bangobango said:

I am with you. Liked Elantris much more than Warbreaker. I also disliked Rhythm of War. To the point where I am actually not looking forward to the next Stormligbt book. And I think Way of Kings is in my top 5 fantasy books ever written.
heddleston
AG
Dang, i get Rhythm of War being at the bottom of people's Stormlight power rankings, but i view it as 4th best, not the worst, Stormlight book. Went in some cool new directions i wasnt expecting and even made me care about characters i actively hated going into it.
Lathspell
AG
Trying to find these Novellas, but can only see an Elysium eBook, but nothing else.
maverick2076
https://www.amazon.com/Sunreach-Skyward-Flight-Novella-ebook/dp/B09FYV1V4Z/ref=nodl_

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.