Sanderson Stormlight

95,256 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A Mistborn series would be amazing. I like the (current) one off aspect of Warbreaker, so I think that would be awesome to just do an 8 episode one off mini series of it. Lightsong might be the most Ryan Reynoldsey role to ever Ryan Reynolds.
heddleston
AG
Karrde
AG
So many answers from that POV of the prologue, and yet so many more questions. I was not expecting that today.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Yup. So many thoughts and questions. either way it was fantastic.

So, one of the other Herald's died? We already know that Moash kills Jezrien at the end of Oathbringer. And there are a few that we dont know the status of, so I am guessing one of those? Shalash, Ishar, and Taln are accounted for off the top of my head.

It was just great getting a little more insight into Gavilar's true personality though after seeing what happened to him from several other perspectives. of course, i now feel a lot more confused about so many other characters' true motives; namely Thaidakkar....and i guess now The Stormfather. why did he ultimately decide to bond Dalinar after saying he would never trust Gavilars family again, makes me question so much from the previous 4. books.

also, his last words to Dalinar ultimately being a huge red herring was not what i was expecting. him playing and using his brother that way, saying things he knew would cause him to get drunk, was so ****ty. that alone makes me happy he went out the way that he did
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Words of Brandon, Q&A spoilers, and Reddit musings in regards to your first spoiler text:

So the oathpact was only able to be broken once one of the Heralds gave in to their torture on Braize. The Everstorm being made makes that rule kind of weird, but let's hold off on thinking about it for now. From the flashbacks we have seen, there were already Voidspren crossing over to Roshar before Taln makes it back (seen in Venlis flashbacks from the last book.

Someone specifically has asked Brandon during a Q&A if Taln was the reason the oathpact failed this time. Brandon replied that Taln has still never given in. So the most popular theory is that another Herald died, went to Braize, and then gave in almost immediately.

Some people with less proof than belief also think that may have been Shallans mother. The idea is that their family is connected to basically every single secret organization on Roshar (radiants, ghostbloods, skybreakers, Hoid, etc.). We know Shallan was named after Shallash (apparently Ash's best friend was Chanarach, who had red hair), and years later, Shallan could still see her mother's "soul" glowing through the painting in their house with the hidden safe. It wouldn't be shallans deadeye blade, so could it have been a heralds blade still glowing? Brandon has also said that Chanarach has been seen in the books, even if her original name wasn't used.

Anyways, still a lot of theories and not a lot of answers. Can't wait for the next book.
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Words of Brandon, Q&A spoilers, and Reddit musings in regards to your first spoiler text:

So the oathpact was only able to be broken once one of the Heralds gave in to their torture on Braize. The Everstorm being made makes that rule kind of weird, but let's hold off on thinking about it for now. From the flashbacks we have seen, there were already Voidspren crossing over to Roshar before Taln makes it back (seen in Venlis flashbacks from the last book.

Someone specifically has asked Brandon during a Q&A if Taln was the reason the oathpact failed this time. Brandon replied that Taln has still never given in. So the most popular theory is that another Herald died, went to Braize, and then gave in almost immediately.

Some people with less proof than belief also think that may have been Shallans mother. The idea is that their family is connected to basically every single secret organization on Roshar (radiants, ghostbloods, skybreakers, Hoid, etc.). We know Shallan was named after Shallash (apparently Ash's best friend was Chanarach, who had red hair), and years later, Shallan could still see her mother's "soul" glowing through the painting in their house with the hidden safe. It wouldn't be shallans deadeye blade, so could it have been a heralds blade still glowing? Brandon has also said that Chanarach has been seen in the books, even if her original name wasn't used.

Anyways, still a lot of theories and not a lot of answers. Can't wait for the next book.

Oh snap. Chana being Shallans mom would be bonkers Hadn't heard that one yet.
Flatlander
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I have actually been harboring a theory that Shallan herself is Chanarach. She fits the description, and her being a herald would definitely explain her mental condition.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I'm gonna have to re-read a lot of the Stormlights, I guess, because there were definitely some names that I had a hard time recalling who they were and why I was supposed to care.

But man the developments with the Stormfather...this really makes me think book 5 is going to be straight bonkers...
AG
Flatlander said:

I have actually been harboring a theory that Shallan herself is Chanarach. She fits the description, and her being a herald would definitely explain her mental condition.
Thats really interesting... is your theory that her family, mother/father/brother werent really her family then? more like guardians? or perhaps something more akin to a prisoner considering her family's connections?
heddleston
AG
Shallan's mom died somewhere pretty close to the same time as Gavilar so that makes sense. Gavilar and the Stormfather's conversation confirm that Chanarach had 'fiery red hair', so thats a nother point in favor of it being her.
Also, do we really think its the actual Stormfather Gavilar is speaking with? Lots of stuff seemed way out of character for him and some redditor pointed out he was doing some stuff that the Stormfather had specifically said he couldnt do in RoW (like see inside buildings). Many are positing that its Ishar impersonating the stormfather, which makes sense that he'd be able to sense another Herald dying.
AG
heddleston said:

Shallan's mom died somewhere pretty close to the same time as Gavilar so that makes sense. Gavilar and the Stormfather's conversation confirm that Chanarach had 'fiery red hair', so thats a nother point in favor of it being her.
Also, do we really think its the actual Stormfather Gavilar is speaking with? Lots of stuff seemed way out of character for him and some redditor pointed out he was doing some stuff that the Stormfather had specifically said he couldnt do in RoW (like see inside buildings). Many are positing that its Ishar impersonating the stormfather, which makes sense that he'd be able to sense another Herald dying.

how would Ishar, who is also the God-Preist that met with Dalinar in the last book, be sending out visions? i dont think that is necessarily a power he is capable of, but at the same time, its been said he doesnt know the extent of his powers with Honor dead, so i guess it could be? as of now, i still think its the Stormfather as being the last remaining essence of Honor, i would think he would feel a Herald being killed in much the same way as the other heralds do. that could still explain his fear and "not being ready".

If Shallan is Chana's daughter, that would explain a lot. after hearing that theory, i subscribe to it

ultimately, there is clearly a lot we have assumed to be fact that isnt, or is much more than what we originally thought.
heddleston
AG
yeah I'm not sold on the Ishar thing, but if it's not the Stormfather he's the most plausible of the people mentioned. It's suggested that with his honorblade he could forge a connection to Gavilar to fake Stormfsther visions/communications. Also shines light on why Ishar refuses to believe or listen to Dalinar in RoW. How/where/when he got his honorblade out of Shinovar for all this is where the theory struggles.
Flatlander

Flatlander said:

Thats really interesting... is your theory that her family, mother/father/brother werent really her family then? more like guardians? or perhaps something more akin to a prisoner considering her family's connections?

Yeah, something like that. They are not actually her family; Shallan just believes they are because 'Shallan' is just one of her personalities that she has manufactured. Whether the family itself is guardian or prisoner, not sure, or even if they would know themselves. The Ghostbloods could have just said, 'Hey watch over this girl. She's important and a little looney; just play along.' But with this new revelation about a Herald dying around the same time her mother did, I can see how her mother being Chanarach makes a lot of sense. Although, can Heralds have children?
AG
Flatlander said:

Flatlander said:

Yeah, something like that. They are not actually her family; Shallan just believes they are because 'Shallan' is just one of her personalities that she has manufactured. Whether the family itself is guardian or prisoner, not sure, or even if they would know themselves. The Ghostbloods could have just said, 'Hey watch over this girl. She's important and a little looney; just play along.' But with this new revelation about a Herald dying around the same time her mother did, I can see how her mother being Chanarach makes a lot of sense. Although, can Heralds have children?

I like it. I could ultimately see how even "Shallan" could be a created personality of hers as well, given her trauma, even if the rest of your theory proves to be false. My questions around that are if she is actually the Herald Chana, it wouldn't make sense on how she seemingly "grew up" in the flashbacks. She would already have been a full grown woman and "warrior" (as gavilar stated in this prologue). Unless there is something we haven't seen about their bodies dying but souls being reborn in a new body. But Taln and Ishar are seen just as they have always been

Chana as Shallans mom is a great theory. We still don't know anything about the circumstances around her death other than Shallan did it, and the Ghostbloods were around. Perhaps, she fell into the same camp as Nale was and they needed to kill anyone that has bonded or was about to bond a spren to keep the next desolation from occurring? There's obviously more there we don't know and Shallan is hardly a reliable narrator.
Lathspell
AG
Figured I'd post this here, but Sanderson just released new copies of signed leatherbounds for several of his books. I have been waiting to pick up a leatherbound copy of Warbreaker. I already have Way of Kings and Final Empire (though my Final Empire is not signed).

Edit: Looks like no Well of Ascension or Hero of Ages. I went ahead and also got the Elantris copy, for my collection.
Eliminatus
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Figured I'd post this here, but Sanderson just released new copies of signed leatherbounds for several of his books. I have been waiting to pick up a leatherbound copy of Warbreaker. I already have Way of Kings and Final Empire (though my Final Empire is not signed).

Edit: Looks like no Well of Ascension or Hero of Ages. I went ahead and also got the Elantris copy, for my collection.
Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker released today. (for everyone else who hasn't seen yet)

I now have all three ordered. Sitting here grinning like an idiot at work. Such a dopamine hit. I haven't even read Elantris or Warbreaker.

Sanderson has also made it clear that production of these out of stock ones are continuing which is awesome since I missed the other kickstarters. I also realize I have just committed myself to at least a $1200 minimum of books after it is all said and done. And that isn't even counting if he does Era 2 in leatherbound. Because those will be must haves as well.

Site: Leatherbound Books Dragonsteel Books
bearamedic99
AG
Very nice!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Was looking at Sandersons website earlier, he has the first couple chapters for each secret book up.

Book 4 is stormlight related.

Big spoiler:

it's follows sigzil, set after book 5, traveling the cosmere?

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/first-look-at-secret-project-four-hint-its-stormlight-adjacent/

Just read it, and seems to have lots of hints at what happens in stormlight Book 5, nothing specific though. Just a forewarning.
EABC_AG
I've heard a lot about Sanderson recently and am wanting to try out reading more fantasy. Would you say his series are good intro fantasy reading? Which book/series should I start with?
JJxvi
AG
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/where-do-i-start/
Quad Dog
AG
loma_vista78 said:

I've heard a lot about Sanderson recently and am wanting to try out reading more fantasy. Would you say his series are good intro fantasy reading? Which book/series should I start with?
My intro to Sanderson recommendation is always Mistborn: The Final Empire. From there finish off the rest of the Mistborn seriers, Warbreaker, then Stormlight. Mix in Arcanum Unbounded and Elantris.
Final Empire is mostly standalone, great characters and magic system, good intro to rest of his books. If you don't like that then you probably won't like anything else.

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/where-do-i-start/
EABC_AG
Thank you!
Lathspell
AG
Second on Mistborn: Final Empire.

Sanderson's Magnum Opus is the Stormlight Archive, the second book of which may just be my favorite fantasy novel of all time. However, it is huge epic fantasty, and the Mistborn trilogy is much more contained.

They both exist in the Cosmere, however, which is Sanderson's connected universe. Each world in the Cosmere is connected in various ways that you discover over the course of the various books. Each world of the cosmere is invested with a form of magic that presents itself uniquely.

I recommend reading the Cosmere in release order, because you will catch little easter eggs here and there that you would otherwise miss. Is it imperative? Not at all. But I love finding those little moments and characters that I knew about, but others who never read other stories did.

The Cosmere includes:

Mistborn Trilogy
Wax and Wayne Series
The Stormlight Archive
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul (Novella)
Warbreaker
Arcanum Unbounded (several short stories and notes about the entire Cosmere. Look up when to read each story, so as not to get any spoilers. For example, read Bands of Mourning, the third book in the Wax and Wayne series, before reading Secret History in Arcanum Unbounded. Really, you should read through Arcanum Unbounded after every other book, except for Rhythm of War.)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just to follow up, if you decide to celebrate the entire collection, here is what I used.

The Stormlight Archives, as started above, are some of the best fantasy ever written. It's definitely not what I would consider an intro fantasy book though. Mistborn series / The final empire is where I started as well.
Eliminatus
AG
My first leatherbounds from him. Not going to be the last either. I don't see him NOT eventually doing this for all his works. Fingers crossed at least. It has to be such a cash cow for him.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
That's pretty cool. They are much thicker than I would have expected. Would they do a SA book in two parts? Or do they just make the font much smaller?
Lathspell
AG
I have the exact same copies. I also have the double volume signed Way of Kings, from the kickstarter. I didn't get the numbered print, though.
JJxvi
AG
What do those cost? I find it weird that he has signed inventory for sale for some of these but unsigned is sold out.
hunter2012
AG
Third on Final Empire for 1st read, then finish the trilogy and jump to Elantris and Warbreaker along with the Novellas on those worlds so far. Then read the 2nd Mistborn trilogy, If one is a completionist it makes the journey worth it to reach Stormlight which like others have said is the best/most intricate fantasy series for the last several generations.

I would also at minimum recommend the White Sand audiobook if graphic novels are not your preference. One of the main characters has had at least 3 appearances in the Cosmere so far, Khriss shows up in Secret History, Oathbringer, and the Bands or Mourning. From what I've seen she's the 2nd most traveled worldhopper(after Hoid) in the series so I believe she'll have some importance in the grand story. I would also note that the novel explains the significance of some of the Magic in Rhythm of Warthe Invested Sand that absorbs Stormlight).
MW03
AG
loma_vista78 said:

Sanderson's works are definitely "high fantasy." The places are pretty much characters all their own. In high fantasy, you get really, really rich world building, and they develop their own elaborate histories and mythos. Folks that love Sanderson love that kind of stuff. It's the same thing that most people love about Tolkien. There's a world (or in Sanderson's novels, a universe) that gets developed as you read about events that are happening in it. People besides the author will write 400 page books about a history that is never even fully fleshed out in the novel itself.

But it's dense. If you like worldbuilding, then you'll like Sanderson. I wouldn't necessarily call it "easy" fantasy writing even if it's easy to read because there's a lot to keep track of, and I think that can be off-putting to some readers that haven't jumped into high fantasy before.

Compare that against "low fantasy" or "soft fantasy" I tend to think of low fantasy as a fantasy novel that doesn't need world building, primarily because you are already familiar with the place. There may be rules to the fantasy elements (i.e., magic) but there is no real explanation or interest in explaining how the fantasy elements came to exist in the first place. Some may disagree, but I think Harry Potter is an excellent example of low fantasy. It happens on Earth, so there's no need to world build, except to explain how the wizarding world co-exists. There are rules to the magic (i.e., you're born with it or you aren't, and you have to learn the code words to use it) but there's no explanation of what makes someone born with it particularly magical.

Anyway, I think some folks who aren't into fantasy at all find low fantasy more approachable at first.

None of this is to deter you away from Sanderson; he's the best going right now at high fantasy. Just a bit of a heads up as to why each book is 900 pages.
Flatlander
loma_vista78 said:

Using Sanderson as an intro to fantasy is kinda like using a firehose to introduce yourself to the concept of drinking.

That said, the recommendation from Quad Dog is spot on, and is essentially the order I usually recommend.
Lathspell
AG
The Final Empire is such a great book, and really written much like a movie. I cannot wait until we finally get a movie adaptation of it.
Madmarttigan
AG
It's funny I like Sanderson a lot but I don't know how to even introduce someone to him. The original Mistborn trilogy is I think the easiest gateway to reading his work, but still is a lot to take in. Even for someone who really enjoys fantasy I honestly cannot keep up with the cosmere stuff. I have also fallen behind on stormlight.

Easiest fantasy series I can think of to get into the genre is Dresden. World building happens slowly but is still earth. Has great characters and are quick fun reads. 3rd book is the best out of the first 4 then 5 onward keep upping the game.

Formerly tv1113
PatAg
AG
MW03 said:

loma_vista78 said:

Sanderson's works are definitely "high fantasy." The places are pretty much characters all their own. In high fantasy, you get really, really rich world building, and they develop their own elaborate histories and mythos. Folks that love Sanderson love that kind of stuff. It's the same thing that most people love about Tolkien. There's a world (or in Sanderson's novels, a universe) that gets developed as you read about events that are happening in it. People besides the author will write 400 page books about a history that is never even fully fleshed out in the novel itself.

But it's dense. If you like worldbuilding, then you'll like Sanderson. I wouldn't necessarily call it "easy" fantasy writing even if it's easy to read because there's a lot to keep track of, and I think that can be off-putting to some readers that haven't jumped into high fantasy before.

Compare that against "low fantasy" or "soft fantasy" I tend to think of low fantasy as a fantasy novel that doesn't need world building, primarily because you are already familiar with the place. There may be rules to the fantasy elements (i.e., magic) but there is no real explanation or interest in explaining how the fantasy elements came to exist in the first place. Some may disagree, but I think Harry Potter is an excellent example of low fantasy. It happens on Earth, so there's no need to world build, except to explain how the wizarding world co-exists. There are rules to the magic (i.e., you're born with it or you aren't, and you have to learn the code words to use it) but there's no explanation of what makes someone born with it particularly magical.

Anyway, I think some folks who aren't into fantasy at all find low fantasy more approachable at first.

None of this is to deter you away from Sanderson; he's the best going right now at high fantasy. Just a bit of a heads up as to why each book is 900 pages.
Start with the Mistborn series, imo. (The Final empire is the first book)

I think thats what most of us read first, if I had to guess.
Karrde
AG
Warbreaker is also free on his website (in pdf/ebook form I think). That's a decent standalone entry point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.