Sanderson Stormlight

95,376 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

...now I kind of want to read it. What is there about Brandon Sanderson that someone feels the need to **** on? He seems like one of the nicest guys on the planet.
He is boring, he and son salt their ramen, he wears a jacket to look professorial (Hint author thinks he is vain and dumb as rocks)

Straight up asks fans at Dragoncon if they think Sanderson is a bad writer because his prose is at a 6th grade level (while throwing good ol 1990s / 2000s nerd convention tropes into the mix), hated that he had to leave the bastion of civilization San Francisco for Salt Lake City, frankly finds Sanderson too BORING to write an article about because he is so nice, goes on some rant that basically says Sanderson is on the spectrum and doesn't actually feel emotion and has to use writing to express it

Super weird rant about hopefully some of his fans eventually elevate themselves to Tolkien, then turns around and thinks it is weird all of Sanderson's swords have names to them.
Saxsoon
AG
If you want to avoid giving Wired the clicks I recommend this video. He basically reads it out and makes comments as it goes

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Flatlander
I don't know. I read the article and I did not get this impression at all.

So it is not a fawning puff-piece, but it is far from the hit-job it is being portrayed as.

Yes it says Sanderson wears a jacket to look professorial. Real mud-slinger there.

Yes it does portray Sanderson as rather milk-toast and boring. I read that for what it is, not as a criticism. I'd much rather have an article characterize me as normal/boring than having a life akin to Johnny Depp. Look, here's a guy living a normal life, has very healthy family relationships, not a lot of drama in his life, still a regular guy despite all his success. How exactly is that being critical?

Yes it is critical of Sanderson's prose. But that is a criticism that I've heard from countless other critics over the years; it is hardly new. Sanderson is easily one of my favorite authors, and I can't really disagree on this point. But I don't care, and the article makes the point that most of Sanderson's fans don't care. The stories are so good without needing a bunch of fancy literary pinache.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think it's more that the author insinuates Sanderson fans treat Sanderson like a god, and they try to tie his Mormon faith of their afterlife to draw a parallel between the two. It's also a little ironic that a 4,000 word article that took 6 months to write is generally nothing but milquetoast rambling that his writing sucks. Sanderson writes 10 times faster, and his prose is better. It just kind of reminds me of this meme.

AgLiving06
The article reads as a wannabe writer mad that someone he perceives to be his lesser is making lots of money writing bad books that people buy. I say this because the article starts by ensuring we know Sanderson makes an average of $10 million/year.

The irony that is lost on this dude is it is because of Sanderson's writing style that he has become so popular. He writes similarly to how we think; nobody thinks in overly academic or dramatic language. We relate to Mistborn or Way of Kings because he makes the characters relatable.

heddleston
AG
Yep, he makes good characters, and while his prose isnt flowery and whatever, it is very very very accessible. It's easier to get someone new to fantasy hooked on Sanderson than it is probably any other author.
maverick2076
I agree that Sanderson's prose is effective and accessible. While he may not have the flowery prose of Rothfuss, his directness really manages to elicit strong ties and emotional responses to his books. While there are many examples of this in his writing, I think Dalinar's flashback scenes and his confrontation with Odium in Oathbringer are excellent examples of the evocative power of his prose.

Sanderson's accessibility is one of his great strengths. I just finished listening to The Way of Kings with my 9 year old daughter. She is an advanced reader for her age, but she had no problems understanding the story, picking up themes, and even asking insightful questions. I love Sanderson's books because I can share them with her. He conveys adult themes without crass descriptions or profanity. I think the only book I would hesitate to listen to with her is Warbreaker, because I'm not quite ready to discuss the bedroom stuff with her at her age yet.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Yes it says Sanderson wears a jacket to look professorial
Who doesn't?
AgLiving06
Yes...what we really need is for Rothfuss to spend more pages describing sex with the Fae.

Granted I don't think Rothfuss is going to release another book, so there's that.
Saxsoon
AG
Rothfuss chucked his computer with word 97 that he used for writing in the trash I bet
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
maverick2076
Saxsoon said:

Rothfuss chucked his computer with word 97 that he used for writing in the trash I bet

No, he still has it. He used it to complain for four years that he couldn't write because Trump was President.
Eliminatus
AG
Flatlander said:

I don't know. I read the article and I did not get this impression at all.

So it is not a fawning puff-piece, but it is far from the hit-job it is being portrayed as.

Yes it says Sanderson wears a jacket to look professorial. Real mud-slinger there.

Yes it does portray Sanderson as rather milk-toast and boring. I read that for what it is, not as a criticism. I'd much rather have an article characterize me as normal/boring than having a life akin to Johnny Depp. Look, here's a guy living a normal life, has very healthy family relationships, not a lot of drama in his life, still a regular guy despite all his success. How exactly is that being critical?

Yes it is critical of Sanderson's prose. But that is a criticism that I've heard from countless other critics over the years; it is hardly new. Sanderson is easily one of my favorite authors, and I can't really disagree on this point. But I don't care, and the article makes the point that most of Sanderson's fans don't care. The stories are so good without needing a bunch of fancy literary pinache.

He literally ****s on Sanderson for being a weirdo Mormon, his own actual ****ing words, and repeatedly slams him for being a bad writer but being able to bask in it and transcend even because of his money. His money and his fans which allows him to build up his godhead in boring and unsophisticated Utah.

This is an absolute hit piece that only an elitist from San Fran can write and say it is not. The amount of nitpicking is jaw dropping. He even managed to ***** at being shown the Greatest Showman while staying in Sandersons own home. His one real actual criticism is Sanderson's lack of prose. Ok, cool. That is an opinion but he never actually truly backs it up with real unbiased analysis. The dude was just crying about it nonstop. "Sanderson is soooo bad. Why do all these "pale, fleshy nerds" love him?!?!" (his own words again describing Sanderson fans, something I take umbrage with)

What an absolute cretin this jackoff is.

I am convinced we did not read the same article. Because it was pure cringe from start to finish. And yes, offensive and a hit piece. I cannot think of a better example of an unhinged hit piece that I have read in a long, long time.
AtlAg05
AG
It's the "YouTube algorithm" journalism that wrote that article. "What can I write about that will get people to watch who agree and more importantly disagree, to generate clicks?"

Which then ironically gets picked up by people on YT that make a living from "reacting" to it, which further generates those clicks.
Eliminatus
AG
AtlAg05 said:

It's the "YouTube algorithm" journalism that wrote that article. "What can I write about that will get people to watch who agree and more importantly disagree, to generate clicks?"

Which then ironically gets picked up by people on YT that make a living from "reacting" to it, which further generates those clicks.

It's a senior editor at Wired. And it is established booktubers that are reacting to it since it is like a bomb in a normally peaceful and even docile world.

Not the cheap click mill normally.

Could be wrong of course but if so, it would surprise a lot of people. And again, these aren't "reactors" but actual content creators on YouTube. I've been following most of them for years now.
Ornithopter
AG
I don't know why this guy decided to write this article on things he hates while spending this much time with it. Even before he left to visit Sanderson, he does not like the following:

- Sanderson
- Sanderson's writing (despite having ready 17 of his books?)
- People who like Sanderson
- Mormons
- Utah
- Nice people
hunter2012
AG
A guy that commits his life towards the things he hates, must be an Aggie.
Saxsoon
AG
hunter2012 said:

I will protect those I hate, even if the one I hate most is myself for submitting myself to the torture of Aggie Football
Eliminatus
AG
Saxsoon said:

hunter2012 said:

I will protect those I hate, even if the one I hate most is myself for submitting myself to the torture of Aggie Football

Baseball be putting me through my paces as well this year… Aggie men's sports….catch you year round
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
hunter2012 said:

Nale would be an Aggie.
ABATTBQ11
AG
My favorite reaction to this article has been, "At least we have a handy definition of, 'coastal elitist,'" because it's true. Kehe is huge dick and deserves whatever is coming his way. I can't believe that article was published.
KALALL
AG
Esquire Published a much more fair article. It even has cool pictures of his underground supervillain lair. The title of the second secret novel is also in the article in case you're trying to avoid any spoilers.
hunter2012
AG
Got Secret Book 2 on audiobook, is this novel stand alone or in a different storyverse? Just on the name it's obviously not Cosmere.
Saxsoon
AG
Pretty sure stand alone
maverick2076
Secret Novel 2 is the one secret project that is not set in the Cosmere.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Knocked out 1 chapter before falling asleep yesterday. Seems neat.
Quad Dog
AG
Sanderson wrote an essay about himself and the feature about him. Interesting if you are a fan.

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/outside/
Saxsoon
AG
That is pretty wild as he describes his emotional state. He captures it so well in his writing and it has brought me to tears several times.
Hudson2508
AG
Wow. What a powerful response to that article that didn't even deserve one.
Lathspell
AG
And that is why Brandon Sanderson is who he is, and that reporter is not.
Ornithopter
AG
I remember having to sit at the table for uncool kids in junior high... And there being 9 kids for 8 seats. Some days an uncool kid was absent and I got to sit next to people. Most days I sat alone.

I really enjoy Sanderson books, he's one of my favorite authors. His essay there probably touched my thinking on a personal level moreso than even any of his books.
Eliminatus
AG
DubFalls said:

I remember having to sit at the table for uncool kids in junior high... And there being 9 kids for 8 seats. Some days an uncool kid was absent and I got to sit next to people. Most days I sat alone.

I really enjoy Sanderson books, he's one of my favorite authors. His essay there probably touched my thinking on a personal level moreso than even any of his books.

I was not the one left out.

But damn me if I wasn't there to see it happen to someone else as we pulled away.

Its always bothered me but after reading that, ****.

I am glad he wrote that. Doesn't seem forced or glib or a "have to address" kind of thing but actual genuine outpouring of a man's thoughts and even soul. Puts things in even more perspective to me.

Now I think back to that person on the literal curb and hate what happened even more.
Saxsoon
AG
It is very clear that article is one of the few things that broke through his barrier of sorts
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Wow. What a powerful response to that article that didn't even deserve one.
Just read it. Same reaction. Wow.
hunter2012
AG
hunter2012
AG
Another Doug said:

As a Doug, I like this line from the new book

Quote:

Once a society reaches peak Doug, it's time for it to go sit in the corner and think about what it has done.

Pray for me, for I have found the Cosmere memes subreddit...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.