***** The Box Office Thread *****

111,217 Views | 1297 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i see you forgot Thor. Like everyone else has.
The Porkchop Express
AG
C@LAg said:

i see you forgot Thor. Like everyone else has.
What are you talking about?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

How's this for bizarre?

Lightyear opened with $50.6 million, up to just $117 million total. They dropped it to just 830 theaters as of July 22, and it responded with a weekend making fewer than $700,000.

11 years ago, Green Lantern opened on the exact same date (June 17) to $53 million and finished with $116 million. Lightyear is just about done on its box office run and should finish right around the exact same amount of money.

Nope won the weekend with $44 million, the director's best opener so far.

Maverick agaIn made $10 million to push it up to $635 million overall. If the # of theaters doesn't drop significantly, it's maybe 2 weeks away from being up to 7th all time. It's only $18 million behind Jurassic World and $24 million behind Titanic now.

Jurassic World will pass The Batman later this week, it's only $4 million behind it after Sunday.

Minions 2 will hit $300 million in a few days, while Thor is slowly making its way there at $276 million.

As expected, Elvis has left the building and passed Lightyear. $118 million is a nice number to get a lot of Oscar noms in a movie featuring a bunch of not very famous actors outside of Tom Hanks playing a really weird version of a really weird dude.

Just FYI, Us is Peele's best opener so far, with $70M. Nope was a pretty big drop off from that, failing to cross the $50M marker it was expected to hit.
AgfromHOU
AG
Green Lantern rules all
The Porkchop Express
AG
MInions 2 made it to $300 million on Monday and is now into the Top 100 films of all time in domestic gross at #94. Not adjusted for inflation, just 95 movies have made $300 million all time.

Maverick, which I will be seeing on Thursday with my dad, is up to $637 million domestic, just $16 million behind Jurassic World, a movie also about dinosaurs, for 8th all-time. Assuming Maverick stays active through Labor Day weekend at a lot of theaters, it's going to get into the Top 5 - Black Panther is 5th at $700 million.

Minions is the 5th movie of the year to hit $300 million. Thor will be the 6th in a couple of more weeks. A lovely sign of life for movies, as 2021 only had one make it (Spiderman) and 2019 had 10 at full-force pre-Covid. Black Panther 2 and Avatar are slam dunks for $300 million plus, and I'd assume Shazam will have a chance as well.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Elvis has passed Walk the Line for the third-highest box office for a biopic about a singer or band, hitting $121 million. The list now goes

1. Bohemian Rhapsody $216 million
2. Straight Outta Compton $161 million
3. Elvis $121 million
4. Walk the Line $119 million
5. Rocketman $96 million

I'd have to think Elvis could have gotten to $200 million in a pre-COVID environment since a lot of older people still aren't going to theaters (or are dead, it's a JOKE!)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
agdoc2001
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Maverick, which I will be seeing on Thursday with my dad, is up to $637 million domestic, just $16 million behind Jurassic World, a movie also about dinosaurs,
I chuckled.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Top Gun has a legit shot to pass Jurassic World for 8th all time this weekend, it entered the weekend trailing it by about $11.5 million. Once it gets past that, it's a short step up to Titanic at 7th. Titanic is at $659 million, JW at $653m and Maverick at $641.9m.

I think I did this once on another thread, but it's fun to go back and look at what the top 10 domestic were 10, 20, 30 etc. years ago. The changing face is staggering. So here goes. As of July 30, 2022 the top 10 domestic all-time unadjusted for inflation are:

1. The Force Awakens $936m
2. Endgame: $858m
3. No Way Home: $804m
4. Avatar $760m
5. Black Panther $700m
6. Infinity War: $678m
7. Titanic
8. Jurassic World: $653m
9. Top Gun: Maverick: $641m
10. The Avengers: $623m

In 2012, the list looked like
1. Avatar: $760m
2. Titanic: $659m
3. The Avengers: $623m
4.The Dark Knight: $534m
5. The Phantom Menace: $474m
6. Star Wars: $460m
7. The Dark Knight Rises: $448m
8. Shrek 2: $441m
9. ET: $435m
10. Dead Man's Chest: $423m

In 2002, it was
1. Titanic: $659m
2. The Phantom Menace: $474m
3. Star Wars: $460m
4. ET: $435m
5. The Lion King: $422m
6. Jurassic Park: $404m
7. The Two Towers: $342m
8. Forrest Gump: $330m
9. Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone: $318m
10. The Fellowship of the Ring: $316m

The long story short of that is that Titanic is a beast.

This weekend Thor 4 will hit $300m. Looking at Marvel's releases, and not including the pandemic era releases of Eternals, Shang-Chi, and Black Widow, Marvel has not had a move make fewer than $200 million since Ant-Man was released in July 2015 (it made $180m). Shang Chi did make $224m by the way, but Eternals and Black Widow were under $200m.

SJEAg
AG
Yeah, Titanic is ridiculous. It's one of the few modern movies that holds up against the adjusted-for-inflation lists (which isn't really great for comparisons IMO). Avatar is damn impressive as well, especially with it's worldwide numbers.

I guess it is 25 years old now, but still feels modern since it came out when I was in college and the actors/director are still relevant (understatement).

Counterpoint
AG
Are there any charts that just show total tickets sold so inflation wouldn't matter?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It blows my mind that this is never tracked.

The old Box Office Mojo had a chart that estimated this, but it was all estimated based on inflation, and didn't take other factors into consideration such as 3D, IMAX, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just saw they still have a column for that here.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2019
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ticket count is not that interesting unless you account for population, in my opinion. I would still prefer that over any non-adjusted numbers.
jokershady
AG
Counterpoint said:

Are there any charts that just show total tickets sold so inflation wouldn't matter?
but the population in 1977 when Star Wars came out is a little different than the population now.

You could factor for this but ya know…..just sayin there's a few extra steps but this would be a better metric
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If you're going by percentage of population, pretty sure nothing is ever touching Gone With The Wind or Star Wars for the rest of time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If you're going by percentage of population, pretty sure nothing is ever touching Gone With The Wind or Star Wars for the rest of time.
Gone with the Wind is an outlier in that it appeared in wide release across several decades.

According to the Numbers, it's

December 15th, 1939 (Exclusive) by MGM (Atlanta Premiere)
January 17th, 1941 (Wide) by MGM
March 31st, 1942 (Wide) by MGM
August 21st, 1947 (Wide) by MGM
June 3rd, 1954 (Wide) by MGM
March 10th, 1961 (Wide) by MGM
October 14th, 1967 (Wide) by MGM
September 18th, 1974 (Wide) by MGM

So, that's eight times it was released to a nation-wide audience over 35 years. If you wipe out the multiple releases, when it comes to domestic money, you're either going with Star Wars #1 with inflation adjusted or The Force Awakens all-time #1 on straight gross.
The Porkchop Express
AG
On Friday, Maverick made another $2.4 million. This is its 10th Friday at the theaters. That's the 5th highest 10th Friday ever, trailing: Titanic, Avatar, Silver Linings Playbook (WTF), and the King's Speech. I'm assuming the latter two must have happened right after they cleaned up at the Oscars or maybe right after the nominees were announced in their respective years.
The Porkchop Express
AG
DC League of Super Pets your big winner this weekend, hauling in $23 million ahead of Nope ($18.5 million), Thor ($13.1 million), Minions ($10..9 million and you guessed it, Top Gun Mavericks ($8.2 million).

On the all-time box office list, Mavericks is now less than $3 million behind Jurassic World for 8th all-time.

Jurassic World: Dominion, which went to digital availability last Friday, surpassed The Batman for #3 on the year with $369 million and change. It's up to 51st all-time. In another week, it will pass The Passion of the Christ for 50th, at which point Chris Pratt will have been in 6 of the top 50 movies domestic of all-time, all since 2014.

Minions 2 soared up to $320 million domestic and up to 78th all-time. Out of the movies designed specifically for kids, only a few things are now ahead of it that are not Disney/Pixar products, namely Shrek 2 and 3, the original Minions. Minions 2 will pass Shrek the Third in a couple of days, and eventually move past the original Minions ($336 m) as well.

Thor: Love & Thunder broke $300 m this weekend and is at $301 m and in 95th place all time. It will easily surpass the best entry from the Thor franchise in domestic - Ragnarok made $315 million in 2017, but seems highly unlikely to come close to the $411 million Dr. Strange 3 made earlier this year.

Still ,let's take a look at how Marvel's films have done and angrily curse at the ground at how ridiculously rich their Board of Directors and C-Suite suits must be.

$800m+: Endgame ($858m, 2019), No Way Home ($804m, 2021)
$700m-799m: Black Panther ($700m, 2018)
$600m-$699m: Infinity War ($678m, 2018), The Avengers ($623m, 2012)
$500m-$599m: None
$400m-$499m: Age of Ultron ($459m, 2015), Captain Marvel ($426m, 2019), Dr. Strange 2 ($411m, 2022), Iron Man 3 ($409m, 2013); Captain America: Civil War ($408m, 2016)
$300m-$399m: Far From Home ($390m, 2019), GOTG 2 ($389m, 2017), Homecoming ($334m, 2017); GOTG ($333m, 2014); Iron Man ($318m, 2008); Ragnarok ($315m, 2017); Iron Man 2 ($312m, 2010); Thor 4 ($301m+, 2022)

Then you have the "duds" that failed to make three bills.
Winter Soldier: $259m, 2014
Doctor Strange: $232m, 2016
Shang-Chi and the Ten Strains of Covid: $224m, 2021
Ant-Man and the Wasp: $216m, 2018
Thor: The Terrible One: $206m, 2013
Black Widow: $183m, 2021
Thor: The Decent One: $181m, 2011
Ant-Man: $180m, 2015
Captain America: The First Avenger: $176m, 2011
Eternals: $164m, 2021
The Incredible Hulk: $134m, 2008

TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Top Gun did it again. The 2nd largest 10th Tuesday of all time making $1.406 million yesterday. Only La-La Land on February 14, 2017, a film my wife and I watched the first 6 minutes of before ejecting, had a bigger box office this late into its theatrical run.

Top Gun has officially passed Jurassic World for 8th all time on the domestic box.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That La La Land has to be because of an awards show bump, just like those other recent "late day" box office movies you brought up the other day.
TCTTS
AG
La La Land is a fantastic movie and you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

La La Land is a fantastic movie and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Never saw it so no opinion either way. But it wasn't near the hit Top Gun has been so that was the reason for my comment.
TCTTS
AG
I was jokingly talking about helloimustbegoing and his wife.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

I was jokingly talking about helloimustbegoing and his wife.

Ah! I mistook the "yourselves" to include me. Carry on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How impatient do you have to be to walk out on a movie 5 minutes in? Much less a movie that's actually good.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How impatient do you have to be to walk out on a movie 5 minutes in? Much less a movie that's actually good.
We watched it on demand. My wife's exact words were, "I don't have time for this bull*****"
The Porkchop Express
AG
Through Tuesday, August 9th, we're up to 6 movies over $300 million domestic in 2022.

On the all-time chart, Maverick is 7th at $664 million, trailing Infinity War by $14 million (and change). It's reintroduction to IMAX this weekend should help close the gap more quickly. It has now made at least $1 million every day for 75 days straight. Only Titanic and Avatar have gone longer doing that, although Maverick also went below the hard deck on Monday at $1.056 million.

Jurassic World: Dominion has risen to #50 all-time, defeating Jesus's Passion in the process (it's a joke). As mentioned earlier, Chris Pratt is now a star of 6 of the top 50 movies of all time in domestic box office, with all 6 coming in the past 8 years. Nutso, crazy.

Minions 2 is up to 65th all-time at $337 million. As near as I can figure, the only animated movie that it is ahead of it that is not a straight Disney/Pixar thing is Shrek 2 at $441 million in 25th.

Thor: Love and Thunder, which I still haven't seen, surpassed Ragnarok's box office a couple of days ago and is up to 83rd all-time at $318 million. It will move up pretty swiftly in the next few weeks as a ton of films are stacked between $320-$330 million, but it's definitely a let down after Dr. Strange 2 went off for $411 million.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well, I jinxed it! Top Gun failed to make $1 million for the first time in its run on Wednesday, settling for a lousy $941,000 to reach $665 million. It went 75 straight days making at least $ 1 million.

Titanic went 102 straight days making at last $1 million, from December 19th to March 30th.
Avatar went 81 straight days from December 18th to March 7th
Maverick went 75 straight days from May 27th to August 9th.

By comparison, The Force Awakens went 45 straight days making at least $1 million, although by the time it made less than $1 million in a single day, it was already up to a gross of $896 million.

Endgame had 38 straight days making $1 million per day, and was up to $816 million when it's streak was
broken.

On the all-time domestic chart, Maverick is about $13 million behind Infinity War entering Thursday.
Minions 2 jumped Mockingjay Part 1 for 64th all-time.
Love and Thunder surpassed the original Iron Man for 81st all-time.

Lightyear sitting pretty at 592nd all-time, trailing such luminaries as Blades of Glory and Hairspray, but slightly ahead of Basic Instinct.

Faustus
Given the international box office for a given US flick can be more than the domestic one it's odd to count coup on these films for a sizable fraction of what they actually made.

Sure Avatar made 2.8 billion world wide, but did you know Star Wars Force Awakens almost made a billion in the US? Why worry about the World Cup when we have MLS standings?
The Porkchop Express
AG
You needed 3 edits to write 4 sentences and you still have a typo. If ya don't like my thread, start your own.
Faustus
It was 2:23 in the morning and I was cross-eyed on a phone, but well caught I'm sure.

Top Gun: Maverick is up to No. 13 all-time with 1.355 billion, just ahead of Black Panther and chasing down Avengers: Age of Ultron.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW

Chipotlemonger
AG
I don't get what you're saying or wanting here? Are you essentially agreeing that US box office is a good way to look at it for us, then following that post up with some international number info? What's going on.
Faustus
I just thought I'd throw out how much the flick had made globally and a link for same, in case people wanted to know that as well as how money the movie had made regionally. Just complementary information.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.