***** The Box Office Thread *****

111,134 Views | 1297 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another winning day for "IT Ends With Us". I've been told I'm going to see this movie soon.

Made $5.4 mllion Wednesday to reach $68.8m in 6 days. It's in some odd categories as far as record watching goes, but even getting to $200 million would put it in Sony's Top 25 of all time. $200 million seems like an easy target, and Sony has a lot of crap movies to only have to hit $200 million, yikes.

It also qualifies as generic drama and is already into the top 175 in that category. Only 6 drama films have ever breached even $300 million, and only 15 have cracked $200 million.

It Ends with Us beat Deadpool & Wolverine by about $150k ($5.45 m to $5.29 m). D&W is up to $512m now 1n4 $1.047bn worldwide. It will reach #20 domestic today and has closed the gap on Inside Out 2 to $126m. What's interesting is that school starting again has very little effect on D&W's box office since it's such a hard R rating. Inside Out 2 is down to 2,200 theaters while D& is still at its peak 4,330.

Borderlands: $535,487. Yeah. Down to $171 per theater in its 7th day. That's compared to Inside OUt 2 making $270/theater on its 62nd day.

Finally, pour one out for the remarkable performance of Bad Boys: Ride or Die, bowing to its final 152 theaters with a wholly remarkable $193.3 million domestic during its run. That's #23 all time among R rated movies - more than contemporaries of the last 10 years including: The Revenant, 22 jump STreet, John Wick Chapter 2, Get Out, Us, Gone Girl, 50 Shades of Grey, Straight Outta Compton, and many more.
Second-most money made in the BB franchise, trailing only 2020's Bad Boys for Life, which feasted on Jan/Feb box office before COVID.

Will Smith - effin resilient as hell.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
BCG Disciple
AG
Was 2019 peak MoviePass? Hard to imagine those kind of number considering the post covid new normal we have been in.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I'm sorry I don't know what Movie Pass is
20ag07
How could you post hundreds of words on the Wednesday box office, and not know what Movie Pass is?
The Porkchop Express
AG
20ag07 said:

How could you post hundreds of words on the Wednesday box office, and not know what Movie Pass is?
I'm a good writer.
20ag07
Long winded and uninformed about your subject, apparently.
The Porkchop Express
AG
20ag07 said:

My psychologist told me I should stop getting upset when random ****** bags insult me on the Internet.
TCTTS
AG
20ag07 said:

Are you ever not Mr. Grumpy Contrarian? Just let him cook. He's really good at this, is providing a great service - for free, mind you - yet you've somehow found a way to ***** about it, same as you do in so many other threads. Good lord.
The Porkchop Express
AG
A pared down version for 20ag07's attention span going forward:

Popular movie make money, less popular movie, less money.

For everyone else:

Alien Romulus debuted to $6.5 million Thursday night. Opening weekend estimates are from $28-$55 million, a pretty wide range.
Rather fascinating that the entire Alien franchise - the four originals, the two Predator crossovers, the 2017 one, and Prometheus - and only Prometheus every hit $100 million domestic. Obviously inflation being what it is makes a difference. The original Alien made $78.9 million, which approximates to $337m in today's dollars, and Aliens $85m in 1986 is about $246 m today. Even Alien v Predator from 2004 made $80m which translates to $133m now.

Prometheus made $126m in 2012. Pretty crazy franchise. The release dates span: 1979, 1986, 1992, 1997, 2004, 2007, 2012, 2017, 2024.

Meanwhile It Ends with Us again edged out D&W $4.9m to $4.5m on Thursday. It Ends with Us has racked up $73.78 million in 6 days. Crazy money for a drama set on Earth.

D&W reached $516.7 million domestic, passing Star Wars 9 for #20 all-time domestic. It should have the legs to sidle past both Rogue One and The Dark Knight this weekend to reach 18th. After The Lion King ($543m) the slope gets a lot steeper.

Inside Out 2 is approaching $1 bn international ($958m) and will hit $1.6 bn global this weekend. It trails only Frozen 2 for all-time animated international box office, and will past it in a few days. Frozen 2 made $974 million in 2019. No other animated movie has ever topped $875m international.

Inside out is at $1.596 bn globally. it's $50 million short of the 2019 Lion King for 10th on that list.

A re-release of Coraline, which creeps me out, finished third on Thursday at $3.1 million. I guess this is some sort of 15 year anniversary release? It came out in February 2009.

Movies still doing really well that debuted while I was away for a while include Twisters, now at $228m and about to crack the top #175 all-time domestic. I guess people overseas don't like tornados as it's at a meager $87m international.

If you count it as a disaster movie, Twister is currently 6th all-time, trailing Titantic, ID4, Gravity, the original Twister, and War of the Worlds. Twisters needs $13 million to pass the original, but the $241m Twister made in 1996 is equivalent to $484m today.

Despicable Me 4 is up to $334m and into the top 80 all time.

And then there's Borderlands, which made a new low of $417,205 on Wednesday, $134 per theater. It is curently ranked #5,151 all-time domestically, having passed Barney's Great Adventure ($11,156 million) but not quite to the level of 1983's The Smurfs and the Magic Flute ($11.234 million).

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Faustus
20ag07 said:

This movie pass thing must be much more unforgiving than it sounds.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Another huge weekend at the BO, led by Alien Romulus reaching $41.5 million on its opening weekend to finish #1.

It's the second biggest opening in the franchise, trailing only Prometheus ($51m in 2012) but above Alien vs. predator ($38m in 2004).

Taking second place was Deadpool & Wolverine with a fantastic $29m on its fourth weekend, taking back the day by day lead for the 4th straight day from It Ends with Us. The 15th largest fourth weekend in movie history. Just $1 million behind Inside Out's 4th weekend - and that was on the 4th of July.

D&W now up to $545m domestic, which blew away my expectations, and moved it past Rogue One, The Dark Knight, and the 2019 Lion King all in one weekend to reach #17 domestic. Next to pass is The Super Mario Bros Movie at #16 at $574m. After that, everything is at least $600m.

D&W has closed the gap on Inside Out 2 to less than $100m ($642m-$545m). Both shed theaters this weekend, so we'll see if Logan and Wade have the legs to get past Joy and Sadness for #1 in 2024. Deadpool is at $545m through 24 days. Inside Out 2 was at $534m after 24 days, but that included a big boost on 4th of July weekend of an extra $5-7 million per day.

D&W is up to $1.142bn worldwide, putting it 29th all-time. It passed Skyfall, Return of the King, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, and Spider-Man: Far From Home among others.

It Ends with Us made $24.4 million over the 3 days and is up to $97.8m in 10 days.

Inside Out 2 officially surpassed Frozen II as the #1 International animated box office champ. It's up to $983m. Frozen II finished at $974m. So Inside Out 2 now has the triple crown of Domestic, International, Global for animated stuff.

The Internet says Borderlands actually made $1 m on Saturday and is now up to $13,542,237, leaving it about $200K short of Juwanna Mann in total gross.

Personal note: Took wife and kids to Cinemark's $5 40th anniversary showing of Ghostbusters on Friday night. Ghostbusters bowed with $242.6 million in 1984 - that's $734.43 million adjusted for inflation. At the end of 1984, Ghostbusters ranked #6 on the all-time domestic box office list, trailing only Star Wars (1977), ET (1982), Return of the Jedi (1983), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), and Jaws (1975).
Considering all of those are either Lucas or Spielberg blockbusters, it's really a remarkable feat.

Cliff.Booth
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
jokershady said:

and based on all that over a 10 week period domestically I expect D&W to hit a MINIMUM of $609,014,718 and a MAXIMUM of $631,755,272.

And if domestic vs international %'s stay the same that would equal an international range of a minimum of $662,414,755 and a maximum of $687,149,262.....

Which means a low end projection of $1.27 billion worldwide and a high end projection of $1.31 billion worldwide....

After updated it's performance D&W is now tracking for the following from it's initial 10 weeks

Domestic:

Low End
$613,483,646

High End
$628,073,199

And worldwide:

Low End
$1.28 billion

High End
$1.31 billion
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any predictions for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice?

Current tracking for opening weekend is $80M, which is massive for this kind of movie. I can't find the budget info for it, but I can't imagine it was more than $80M at most.

I could see it doing Dune 2 type numbers for sure. ($280M domestic, $700M WW)
TCTTS
AG
I'm going with a $90M+ opening weekend, with a legit shot at $100M.

Also, again, I know someone who's already seen it, who I trust, who says they liked it even more than the first one. Combine that with the additional it's-legit-good buzz that's starting to percolate, and hopefully this thing has legs throughout September, especially with next to no competition until the Joker sequel in early October.
Another Doug
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, again, I know someone who's already seen it, who I trust, who says they liked it even more than the first one..

It might be good , but I don't see any way this is better than the first. Not a chance this doesn't have overdone scenes that play off of some minutiae from the first for nostalgia's sake. The reason the first one was good was because it was dark and original, I don't see how the sequel can come close to having the same edge the first one had.
TCTTS
AG
I didn't say it was going to be objectively better. I said that one person subjectively "liked it" more than the last one. And the reason they gave was that they felt it had a better, more emotional story at the core. Others will probably feel differently. It's just a single data point, that's all.
The Porkchop Express
AG
A wholly remarkable weekend as Deadpool & Wolverine reclaims the top spot at the box office for the 4th time in 5 weeks, talliyng $18.4 million to hit $577m domestic, surpassing 2023's Super Mario Bros. for 16th all-time domestic.

The weekend also saw D&W surpass $1.2 bn globally, up to 27th all-time there, with the ability to reach the top 20 in 10-14 days.

Inside Out 2 made enough to move to #9 all-time worldwide at $1.649 bn, surpassing the 2019 Lion King and moving 2012's The Avengers out of the top 10. Inside Out 2 is $20m behind Jurassic World all-time international and just $6m behind it all-time domestic. It's going to boot Jurassic World out of the Top 10 all-time domestic. When JW bowed in the fall of 2015, it was at the time #3 behind only Avatar and Titanic.

D&W has narrowed the gap for 2024 behind IO2 to $69 million (nice).
It's been out exactly 1 month and at $577.2 m. Inside Out 2 was at $571m through 31 days.

In terms of unlikely staggering box office performance, the only thing I'd rate above D&W is Titanic, which had so much negative hype before it came out, and turned into this iconic, rewatchable powerhouse without any sort of male core audience to speak of.

D&W is rated R, as you know, and is still churning towards $600m with great legs and I honestly haven't stopped watching bootlegged scenes on YouTube since the first night. It's now more than $200m ahead of the previous R rated record holder domestic, The Passion of the Christ. $200 MILLION AHEAD.

Alien Romulus was #2 for the weekend with $16.2 m and is up to $72.6 m in 9 days. It Ends With Us made $11.8m and is up to $120.8m

The release of Coraline had another great weekend - $5m, and made the 2009 film surpass $100m lifetime.

Twisters made $6.2 million and is nearing $250m domestic. The Crow debuted to $4.6 mllion to tie for 8th.

Boderlands slashed its numbers from 3,125 to 1,147 and made $485,000 to reach $15.1 million. It is currently lagging Harold and the Purple Crayon, featuring one of my favorite actors, Zach "Flynn Rider" Levi, which is up to $16.86 million, but also a pretty big disappointment.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Inside Out 2 became the first animated film to make $1 billion international yesterday, and just the 12th film period. International = every country but the US. it's at $1,000,333,470 through Monday.

It needs $9.6 million to pass The Fate of the Furious for 11th. Somehow that movie made $1.009 billion internationally and $225m domestic. Jurassic World is at $1.017 billion, so that is in reach as well.

In yet another James Cameron flex, Avatar is the only movie to make $2 billion international, hitting $2.138 billion in 2009. And Titanic is the only movie to make $1 billion in the 20th century - $1.548 bn in 1997. The next "oldest" movie on the list is = yep - Avatar from 2009.

Titanic's $1.548 bn in 1997 is the equivalent of $3.04bn in 2024.
Avatar's $2.138 bn in 2009 is the equivalent of $3.14bn In 2024.

That's sick.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Deadpool and Wolverine up to $584 m domestic and $1.219 bn worldwide after 35 days.

Has a decent shot to reach $600m by weekend's end, but college football starting is probably going to drag that box down a bit extra. Although it is Labor Day, so that should do it. Only 15 movie have previously made it to $600 million. Of those, the only superhero crew (not counting the animated Incredibles 2) is:

2. Avengers Endgame $858m
3. Spider-Man: No Way Home $814m
6. Black Panther: $700m
8. Avengers: Infinity War: $678m
13. The Avengers: $623m

Also, recently passed Iron Man 3 on the global box for 26th all-time.

Inside Out 2 needs $5 million to surpass Jurassic World and take over 10th all-time domestic. It's at $647m and change right now. D&W is just slightly ahead of IO2's pace. IO2 was at $583.5 after 35 days.

The Porkchop Express
AG
A $3.6 million Friday for Deadpool & Wolverine, #1 yet again.
A fairly meh $2.6 million debut for Reagan starring Dennis Quaid on Friday, making less than $1,000 per theater. with an incredible 17% on RT. I'm sure there are no politics at play there.

This movie feels like it was fan cast by a message board, giving us Johnny Drama as Jack Warner, C Thomas Howell as Caspar Weinberger, and Robert Davi as Leonid Brezhnev. That is a lot of 90s/00s Cinemax movie talent in a big feature movie. And yes, Scott Stapp as Sinatra. This casting feels like someone lost a bet.

In all 8 movies broke $1 million for FRiday. Despicable Me 4 wasn't one of them, but it did become the 70th movie ever to reach $350m domestic.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Deadpool 3 is up to $599.5 million and will reach $600m on Labor Day. It's also going to win its 5th weekend in 6 attempts.

In one of the worst tumbles off all time, they dropped Borderlands from 1,147 theaters on Thursday down to 179 on Friday. If you're doing the math at home, it went from 3,125 theaters on August 22nd to 179 on August 30th. That's a 94.3% drop in 7 days. It's gotta be up there in the Mount Rushmore of talented cast / box office nightmare.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Stop me if you've heard this one: Deadpool & Wolverine won the weekend, racking up $19 million including Labor Day. ($4.272 m) to hit $603.7 m domestic and $1.262 bn worldwide. That's through 38 days.

After finishing #2 at the box office every day from August 12-August 22nd when it Ends with Us and Aliens : Romulus opened up on back to back weekends, D&W has been #1 for 10 of the last 11 days, including all 4 days this weekend.

It will pass The Incredibles 2 ($608m) for #15 all-time domestic later this week, and will be gunning for #14 The Last Jedi ($620m) and #13 The Avengers ($623m) after that.

It's closed the gap on Inside Out 2 to $48m - Inside Out 2 is at $651m in 11th place domestic. After dropping to 1560 theaters a week ago, it was back up to 2,660 over the weekend. Not sure if that's going to stay in place or was just for the holiday weekend, but it made more than $1m on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, and i s within $2.4m of knocking Jurassic World out of the top 10.

It's strong Labor Day showing has D&W back ahead of IO2's domestica pace. IO2 was at $596m through 38 days. D&W is about $7 million ahead.

On the worldwide stage, Inside Out 2 surpassed The Lion King this weekend ($1.667bn to $1662bn) and is just $4m behind Jurassic World for 8th. That will be its last stop on an incredible run. Spider-Man: No Way Home is 7th at $1.926bn.

D&W will surpass Beauty and the Beast for #23 all-time world wide this week. It's currently just $4m behind.

Also on the domestic front, Despicable Me 4 climbed into the top 70 this weekend at #67 ($355.58m) surpassing American SNiper, Transformers: Something's Up with the Moon, Furious 7, and Aladdin.
Twisters reached $260m domestic, getting into the top 140 at #138.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Beetlejuice 2 made $13 m on Thursday night previews and is expected to clear $100m on opening weekend.

The original made $74 milion in 1988 which is about $198m in today's numbers.

The biggest September weekend ever is IT from 2017 at $123m. There hasn't been another $100m September weekend ever.

The biggest September day ever is $50m for It on 9-8-17, so we'll see if Beetlejuice can clear that Friday.

Thursday ties it for the 59th biggest Thursday night opening ever. Notably $1 million more than Dune 2 earlier this year.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Deadpool & Wolverine's streak of days making at least $1 million ended on Wednesday at 40. it slipped to third on Thursday at $762,000.

Over the last few days, the Reagan movie has gone careening north of its anticipated box office, which rarely happens these days. It made $2.7m on it opening Friday and $2.4 that Saturday, then went up to $2.55 m on Sunday, and $2.6m on Monday. I think my parents, in their late 70s, have seen it 37 times, which might explain the interesting uptick.

It cleared $1.27m on a totally normal Tuesday, and had been north of $800K the last two days.

On the Numbers, its projected revenue based on its opening weekend was between $9.88-$11.85 million through 7 days, and instead it's at $13.3 million. Good stuff.

Despite the inevitable slowdown, D&W will pass The Incredibles 2 in the next couple of days and is now $45 million behind Inside Out 2 for #1 in 2024. IO2 is down to 2,660 theaters but only made $66,000 on Thursday with even the daycares gone back to class, so I imagine those theater #s are on their way down soon.

Alien Romulus is within $7m of $100m in other news, while Despicalble Me 4 has now seen the "everyone is back at school" hit and has seen its weekday BO come tumbling now. Still, it's up to #67 at $35m and will pass the original Inside Out and a couple others this weekend.

Borderlands, "celebrated" its 4th week at the Box Office by making $3,682 at 179 theaters. its gross of $15,482,668 has it in 4,449th place domestic, about $18,000 behind Corvette Summer, which came out in 1978 as Mark Hamill's next movie after Star Wars.

My mom, who was a single mother half the year with my dad working out of the country, took myself (age 4) and my brother (age 7) to see it in the theaters, as it was hailed as "the next big hit from Luke Skywalker". This was quite incorrect, as it starred young Luke fixing up a Corvette, but also starred a then 25-year-old Annie Potts, who described herself as a prostitute and took off her shirt in the first scene, much to my mom's horror. The film also stars Danny Bonaduce, as Luke's best friend.

jokershady
AG
So the holiday weekend had an interesting effect on my D&W 10-week revenue predictions....

My initial prediction from over a month ago was a low end of $609 million and a high end of $631 million

Then a few weeks later it changed to a low end of $613 million and a high end of $628 million....this is expected as the lower prediction should raise and the higher prediction should lower as the room for error becomes less and less as we approach the 10-week end mark....

Now.....with 4 weekends and 4 4-week days remaining before it hits the 10 week mark....I'm now getting a low end prediction of $634,720,271 and a high end prediction of $642,498,101....

Honestly, I expect both of these predicted numbers to lower a tad after the numbers from today through next Thursday come out, but needless to say it'll be really interesting to see how these remaining 4 weeks play out....

depending on how long this thing stays in the theaters for the long hall it could top 650 million in it's theatrical run and possibly catch IO2....something i didn't think it had the chance to do....

Faustus
jokershady said:

So the holiday weekend had an interesting effect on my D&W 10-week revenue predictions....

My initial prediction from over a month ago was a low end of $609 million and a high end of $631 million

Then a few weeks later it changed to a low end of $613 million and a high end of $628 million....this is expected as the lower prediction should raise and the higher prediction should lower as the room for error becomes less and less as we approach the 10-week end mark....

Now.....with 4 weekends and 4 4-week days remaining before it hits the 10 week mark....I'm now getting a low end prediction of $634,720,271 and a high end prediction of $642,498,101....

Honestly, I expect both of these predicted numbers to lower a tad after the numbers from today through next Thursday come out, but needless to say it'll be really interesting to see how these remaining 4 weeks play out....

depending on how long this thing stays in the theaters for the long hall it could top 650 million in it's theatrical run and possibly catch IO2....something i didn't think it had the chance to do....

It just goes to show that if you have a compelling story with emotional stakes it doesn't matter if the flick is aimed at 30-50 year old men or families with preteen daughters.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Beetlejuice blows up to $110 million opening weekend.

The second largest opening weekend / any weekend in September ever, trailing only It's $123 million.

$41.8m Thu/Fri, $41.8m Saturday, $26.4m Sunday.

Already puts it at #105 all-time for domestic comedy gross. Even getting to just $200m will put it in the top 15. Only Barbie ($636m) has made more than $300m in comedies in the US. Home ALone is #2 at $285m, which would obviously be an enormous # adjusted for inflation).

Will be interesting to see its legs, reviews have seemed mixed. I'm also surprised they didn't put it out closer to Halloween.

BassCowboy33
TCTTS said:

I really enjoyed the sequel. Thought it was much better than the original.
rhutton125
AG
Very surprising! I didn't think it was an IP with that much nostalgia. But I guess if it's well made and nothing else is out, why not be a hit?
BassCowboy33
rhutton125 said:

Very surprising! I didn't think it was an IP with that much nostalgia. But I guess if it's well made and nothing else is out, why not be a hit?

I remember loving the original as a kid. Went back watched it again recently and was surprised how "meh" I thought it was. It was definitely a movie of its time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Another $7.2 million for D&W this weekend gets it to $614 million domestic.This passes The Incredibles 2 for #15 all-time domestic.
It's another 10-12 days from passing The Last Jedi ($620m) and The Avengers ($623m). Inside Out 2 leasd D&W by $37m for the year and seems like it will finish slightly ahead with no clear path like holidays left or D&W, unless they put it back out at Christmas Time, which wouuld seem like a Deadpool thing to do. Also passed Frozen to reach #22 all-time Worldwide at $1.287bn. Inside Out 2 simultatenously passed Jurassic World to reach #8 at $1.675bn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.