*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

62,032 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Rocagnante
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whether or not it's true, my thought was always that Paul knew the prophecy and was just waiting for Chani to show up and do her part. Then he wakes himself up
Decay
AG
HER LOVE BROKE THE SPELL
Quad Dog
AG
PatAg said:

Whether or not it's true, my thought was always that Paul knew the prophecy and was just waiting for Chani to show up and do her part. Then he wakes himself up
That's an interesting idea. Paul was faking near death to get Chani to fulfill the prophecy.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Decay said:

HER LOVE BROKE THE SPELL
Similar to this gal?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why did Trinity's kiss revive Neo?
TCTTS
AG
Because, as we learned in the second movie, the machines were behind "the one" all along. Same as the Bene Gesserit. It was all a form of control.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Precisely.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
A trope that is scientifically implausible, but dramatically effective (lit). Works on me every single time. SMH.
StinkyPinky
AG
Quad Dog said:

Glad it helps because I made up the back half. But yes, as far as we know in books and movies there is nothing special about Chani biologically. Although in the books she is Liet-Kynes', the imperial ecologists, daughter. That character was gender swapped in the movie and connection to Chani lost. So in the books Chani is half Fremen, half off-worlder, but it's not discussed as a benefit or drawback that I remember.

Another point to note in the book Chani is not apart of the prophecy, that is specific to the movie to enrich the plot point.
Quad Dog
AG
Quad Dog said:

PatAg said:

That's an interesting idea. Paul was faking near death to get Chani to fulfill the prophecy.
Thinking about it more, that could have been a great thing to show on screen. Paul using Chani to fulfill the prophecy. She finds out and they argue, leading to her leaving at the end. But it would have left a lot to resolve in the next movie.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quad Dog said:

PatAg said:

Thinking about it more, that could have been a great thing to show on screen. Paul using Chani to fulfill the prophecy. She finds out and they argue, leading to her leaving at the end. But it would have left a lot to resolve in the next movie.

Alia told him to do it. Chani eventually realizes she is the villian here and gets back with Paul, duh
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I don't like the way they handled that ending with Chani at all… girl power I suppose.

In the books; Chani is stronger and more logical about this scenario, supports Paul in the marriage eventually (maybe even encourages it after some retrospective) so he can fulfill his destiny and throws a bunch of shade at Irulan for not being chosen to bear him children.

"I swear to you now ... that you'll need no title. That woman over there will be my wife and you but a concubine because this is a political thing and we must weld peace out of this moment, enlist the Great Houses of the Landsraad. We must obey the forms. Yet that princess shall have no more of me than my name. No child of mine nor touch nor softness of glance, nor instant of desire.""

Jessica: "Think on it, Chani: that princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine - never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubinehistory will call us wives."
LB12Diamond
AG
So complete opposite of how women typically react.
TCTTS
AG
Again… there's no drama/friction there. I'm sorry, but that's just not a good ending.

Someone had to be the moral guide/voice of the audience, and it made perfect sense for Chani to be just that. If she simply stands by her man, so to speak, it sends the wrong message thematically, in that there wouldn't be a single character voicing the entire point of the story, which is obviously a warning against messiah figures used to control, oppress, start holy wars, etc.

As I understand it, the whole reason Herbet wrote Messiah is because people didn't get the message/"moral of the story" the first go around, so he felt he had to unambiguously underline it with a second book. Villeneuve, however, had the benefit of hindsight, and did exactly what Herbert very likely wishes he would have done initially.

I also wouldn't call Chani "stronger" in the book version. Rather, standing for/honoring her own beliefs, in wanting her fellow Freman to be truly free (i.e. not under the control of a Bene Gesserit-born messiah), in the face of an impending holy war, is about as strong as one can be.

Without that, in terms of character, what we even be looking forward to going into a third movie? Had Villeneuve followed the book's ending, I would have zero rooting interest in watching the continuing stories of Paul, Chani, and Irulan. Now? I can't wait to see Paul and Chani meet again, what that friction/drama is going to be like, and how their stories end.
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Let me preface that I get what you are saying, but there is tons of conflict set up for movie three without Paul / Chani. You have the Bene Gesserit who obviously think they can control Paul like they have been controlling emperors for thousands of years, you have the conflict of the great houses fighting his control, you have the dynamic of "does Paul go full crusading genocider" like he forsees, you have the Fremen who are now empowered to exact revenge on their oppressors, etc.

The Chani / Irulan / Paul triangle is a classic movie trope though, and for good reason. I think it's good they started setting up dominoes in this movie.

One thing I wish they would have highlighted more in the films is how crucial the spice trade is to the empire. It's not just a recreational drug, it's required for their space travel. The entire empire falls apart without it. Paul is seizing the entire empire by the balls by controlling Arrakis. Thats why they just can't nuke the planet from orbit.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, but that's also why I said "in terms of character." Everything you're naming is intriguing, but it's all plot, not character. Those are just pieces on a chess board lacking an emotional core, lacking that sizzle/friction/thematic dynamic between two characters whom we're highly invested in, which is what ultimately makes stories truly sing and resonate.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
TCTTS said:

I hear you, but that's also why I said "in terms of character." Everything you're naming is intriguing, but it's all plot, not character. Those are just pieces on a chess board lacking an emotional core, lacking that sizzle/friction/thematic dynamic between two characters whom we're highly invested in, which is what ultimately makes stories truly sing and resonate.

I think a lot of the character development you see in the book in terms of this was all inside Paul's head that we as the reader understood. But in terms of the movie it makes sense for Chani to be that, and in the movie the other side is Jessica. But in the book it is more a combination of Paul and Alia. I think us book people arw just worried about the future plot points being affected or changed because of this.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Let me preface that I get what you are saying, but there is tons of conflict set up for movie three without Paul / Chani. You have the Bene Gesserit who obviously think they can control Paul like they have been controlling emperors for thousands of years, you have the conflict of the great houses fighting his control, you have the dynamic of "does Paul go full crusading genocider" like he forsees, you have the Fremen who are now empowered to exact revenge on their oppressors, etc.

The Chani / Irulan / Paul triangle is a classic movie trope though, and for good reason. I think it's good they started setting up dominoes in this movie.

One thing I wish they would have highlighted more in the films is how crucial the spice trade is to the empire. It's not just a recreational drug, it's required for their space travel. The entire empire falls apart without it. Paul is seizing the entire empire by the balls by controlling Arrakis. Thats why they just can't nuke the planet from orbit.
Also, the geriatric spice keeps people young... I think the Emperor is like 84 years old, but is described to be in his prime and look like Leto I; a younger middle aged man (40-45 years old)
Job314
AG
What everyone keeps forgetting is there is a line in the movie after Paul wakes up, he tells Jessica that Chani will come around or come to understand because he has seen it. Therefore, even though she leaves at the end, we know it will circle back to where she is back together with him as it is written in the book.
TCTTS
AG
Bingo.

And to me, the drama of how they get back together, and what that relationship then looks like, is so much better than them already being together when the third movie starts.
Job314
AG
Yep. Should be a much more dramatic, interesting watch to see it all unfold.
wangus12
AG
I'm curious with what they'll do time wise. Messiah is set like 12 years after the first movie.

The holy war has pretty much wrapped up. I dont see them leaving that out. Since DV said he's only planning on doing the 3 movies, I could see them leaving out the kids so they dont have to kill Chani in childbirth. Dont want to piss of people by killing off Zendaya
rsf0626
Just finished watching. This movie was so damn good
TCTTS
AG
jeffk
AG
Just got out. Haven't read the thread yet, but that was a fantastic watch.
BudFox7
TCTTS said:

Again… there's no drama/friction there. I'm sorry, but that's just not a good ending.

Someone had to be the moral guide/voice of the audience, and it made perfect sense for Chani to be just that. If she simply stands by her man, so to speak, it sends the wrong message thematically, in that there wouldn't be a single character voicing the entire point of the story, which is obviously a warning against messiah figures used to control, oppress, start holy wars, etc.

As I understand it, the whole reason Herbet wrote Messiah is because people didn't get the message/"moral of the story" the first go around, so he felt he had to unambiguously underline it with a second book. Villeneuve, however, had the benefit of hindsight, and did exactly what Herbert very likely wishes he would have done initially.

I also wouldn't call Chani "stronger" in the book version. Rather, standing for/honoring her own beliefs, in wanting her fellow Freman to be truly free (i.e. not under the control of a Bene Gesserit-born messiah), in the face of an impending holy war, is about as strong as one can be.

Without that, in terms of character, what we even be looking forward to going into a third movie? Had Villeneuve followed the book's ending, I would have zero rooting interest in watching the continuing stories of Paul, Chani, and Irulan. Now? I can't wait to see Paul and Chani meet again, what that friction/drama is going to be like, and how their stories end.

Lol wut. This is such hardcore villeneuve fanboifiction
jeffk
AG
Others have said this already, but I'll agree. Movie Chani is a much better character than Book Chani.
TCTTS
AG
Villeneuve fanboification? Seriously?

Show your work.

Point out the parts that are untrue.

If you're going to call me out, do so with some actual substance.

Also, you realize my initial reaction to this movie was one of the most tepid in this thread, right?
jeffk
AG
You are just the tepidest.
maca1028
Saw it this afternoon, what a blast that was! Most fun I've had in the theater in a while. Definitely need to see it again, feels like I missed a few things. Now, read Messiah or no? It's gonna be a long wait until part 3.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maca1028 said:

Saw it this afternoon, what a blast that was! Most fun I've had in the theater in a while. Definitely need to see it again, feels like I missed a few things. Now, read Messiah or no? It's gonna be a long wait until part 3.
if you have read Dune; then I wholeheartedly encourage you to read Messiah.

I wouldn't recommend reading Messiah after only watching the movie.

Advised this path to a friend and he thanked me profusely.
Quad Dog
AG
Got out of my second viewing, this time in IMAX. Tried to pay more attention to the music this time. Absolutely loved it.
Noticed that both Irulan and Jessica have increasingly complicated headwear. Irulan starts out with none, then a beaded cap, then veil, then the end mask with a lot of metal. As if the trap the BG have set for her/Paul/Feyd is closing in. Jessica's headwear also gets more intricate as she gains power as a Bene Gesserit.
I think also I head what sounded like water dripping in some of Pauls visions, and then waves breaking on a shore at the end when Paul is becoming Emperor. Both hints of Arrakis future?
maca1028
SpreadsheetAg said:

maca1028 said:

if you have read Dune; then I wholeheartedly encourage you to read Messiah.

I wouldn't recommend reading Messiah after only watching the movie.

Advised this path to a friend and he thanked me profusely.

I read book one shortly after part 1 came out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.