*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

61,997 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Rocagnante
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
This really stuck out to me on second viewing. For her it's not about the Freman, Arrakis, her son saving either, or starting a holy war. All she cares about is protecting Paul, and in her mind, ensuring that he becomes the Lisan al Gaib is the best way to do that, consequences be damned. And I love how Villeneuve exemplifies that in her very first scene, then it only escalate from there.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yeah I watched Part One a couple of days before seeing Part Two, and during her whole Part Two arc, I kept remembering the scene where Leto makes her promise to protect Paul. You can see in that scene the ways in which they disagree about what that means, but it underlines her motivations from there forward.
TCTTS
AG
Great call.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Saw the movie last night. Loved it. I am a prior book reader and have read all of the original Frank Herbert Dune books. Reread Dune itself a couple of years ago in advance of DV's Part One. Will likely reread Messiah before the 3rd seemingly inevitably comes out.

Lot of my thoughts have already been hit on in one way or another. This movie had a handful of truly epic theater moments that resulted in just a freaking great movie experience. Chalamet killed it in this movie. The speech scene was nails.

High points for me, outside of that speech scene, off the top of my head: opening action sequence, the reverend mother pass down, the worm call/ride for Paul, Paul and Chani attacking the spice harvester, obviously the final showdown knife fight. I could probably add more high water marks and that is a testament to how great of a movie this is.

Unexpected takeaways: I thought Pugh did an excellent job and I was really impressed by her. Stilgar was also a great character, Javier did great in that role and bringing a lot of unique charisma to the screen and story, and I knew it was going to be a movie with a lot of great action and fighting, but the Fremen and dessert scenes with the story building there were done really well in my opinion.

All in all, thank you DV! That movie was a great service to the wonderful source material.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Dune 2 domestic hits $111mm , surpassing Dune 1 lifetime haul domestic (I think covid factored in here)
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Covid + simultaneously being on HBO Max the first 30 days of its theatrical run.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I actually have thought since a read it that it's the easiest adaptation as far as themes and story go. It's pretty straightforward in that regard and Villeneuve has set all that up well in Part Two. Obviously some plot points will have to change based on how things were adapted in Part One and Two, but I actually think the groundwork is layer for Part Three to be something truly special.
Cromagnum
AG
Havent read this thread yet. Are there Dune Messiah spoilers in here? I'm about to start reading it.
TCTTS
AG
Not that I remember. People have been pretty good about using spoiler tags for any Messiah talk.
Cromagnum
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

So were Paul's prophetic dreams from before arriving on Arrakis just due to his lineage/genetics from his mother?
That's right, because he has Bene G blood in him (which is still very uncommon to have prescience as BG) but the biggest reason is him being the Kwisatz Haderach (which is why Jessica wanted to keep it quiet that he was having the visions)

There was a lot explained in the book how the BG could not see views that were blocked from the male's perspective. The KH would be able to see both sides.
Cromagnum
AG
miller0926 said:

Just got out, quick question…

Was that last of the remaining Atreidis to get killed (the one that wasn't drugged) Dr. Yueh? If so, did I miss something in the first movie that implied Vladimir didn't actually kill him?

I can't find anything anywhere saying he was still alive.

Baron killed Yueh in part 1 right before Leto gasses him.
Cromagnum
AG
I liked how water from dead Sardaukar was only sufficient for cooling devices and not drinking. "Too many chemicals."
TCTTS
AG
I walked out of my first showing of Part Two not entirely sure I wanted to see it in the theaters a second time.

I had already bought a ticket for three days later, though, and am glad I did, as it played way better for me the second time.

Four days later and I now find myself really wanting to see it a third time in theaters.

Problem is, there aren't any decent IMAX seats until next weekend, and even then it appears as those are selling out fast.

Crazy.
TCTTS
AG
All that said, as of now, it sounds like it's hitting digital/Blu-ray in May, which is earlier than expected.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog
AG
Not Dr Yueh, but that guy was Roger Yuan, the fight choreographer for the movie
Cromagnum
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

SIAP

https://instagr.am/p/C4FNCfCO_s2

That is awesome

In my 40 years of cinema watching, never once have I seen anyone in character or do anything of this sort at any movie ever.
Cromagnum
AG
jeffk said:

Others have said this already, but I'll agree. Movie Chani is a much better character than Book Chani.

To each their own. I like the original ending from the book with Jessica explaining to Chani.

"Do you know so little of my son?" Jessica whispered. "See that princess standing there, so haughty and confident. They say she has pretensions of a literary nature. Let us hope she finds solace in such things; she'll have little else." A bitter laugh escaped Jessica. "Think on it, Chani: that princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine history will call us wives."
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Got to see it for the first time today.

It felt slower than I expected, especially with how rushed the final 20% or so of the book feels. Overall I think they improved the pacing from the book, but still didn't nail it. I'm on the side that I didn't like movie Chani as much as book Chani. In Paul's quest/duty to basically go from presumed dead to ruling the universe, that added drama felt unnecessary. I don't think the relationship was built up enough on screen to even make her pouting impactful.

Overall I think I went in with too high of expectations after all the praise it got and how much I liked the first one; which I would place above this one by a bit.
heddleston
AG
This movie mastered sound. The score, sound fx, great. Even better; the silence. So much happens with absolute silence around and he perfectly balanced it with the score. Can't wait to see it again.
Madmarttigan
AG
How many subwoofers did Zimmer break across the country this week.

They must have gone to Zimmer and said I want your deepest and most visceral tracks you've ever made.

That song of Paul arriving to the gathering before his speech was just chefs kiss*
Cromagnum
AG
Nm
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Madmarttigan said:

How many subwoofers did Zimmer break across the country this week.

They must have gone to Zimmer and said I want your deepest and most visceral tracks you've ever made.

That song of Paul arriving to the gathering before his speech was just chefs kiss*

Yep the sound team and score should both win Oscars. IMO.

The Voice commands were amazing alone. Slap you in the face sound.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
That's my number on reason for being glad I saw it in theaters/IMAX. It felt like the entire audience was actually affected by the Voice every time it was used. Just a visceral jumping reaction to it.
heddleston
AG
Did either movie ever explain how/why you couldn't use laser guns against shields? I couldn't remember if they said it or not, but definitely adhered to it, hence the rocket launcher tactic against thopters.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
No. And I'm surprised nobody has posted that the entire movie was ruined for them because of it yet. Way to go Texags!
Decay
AG
They seem to be staying true to the books even when they don't bother to explain it. I don't think they go into the reason you don't use shields in the desert either.
lurker76
I believe it was in the first one when Leto and Paul see the spice harvesting operation. Paul asks why they can't use shields on equipment to protect it, and Kynes replies that shields attract the worms.
Decay
AG
I will say I love the way they depict the shields. They did the awesome thing again where explosions happen before the shield goes down, so it's fully contained inside and then bursts out. Loved that in the first film
Decay
AG
lurker76 said:

I believe it was in the first one when Leto and Paul see the spice harvesting operation. Paul asks why they can't use shields on equipment to protect it, and Kynes replies that shields attract the worms.

Two different things.

Fremen don't use shields bc of the worms

Armies use shields and swords instead of guns because of the lasgun problem
lurker76
Yeah, thanks. I mis-read the question.
heddleston
AG
To non -book readers if a Lasgun hits a shield it basically goes off like a nuke. Which is part of why the Harkonnen attack needed the shield wall down and why we saw lasguns cut up mining equipment, but not thopters

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.