*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

62,023 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Rocagnante
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The lack of those last to were probably intentional to not make the movie too weird.
Decay
AG
WE WANT WEIRD
MaroonStain
AG
Navigator were shown in Dune1
Lathspell
AG
MaroonStain said:

Yep. Everyone seems to miss this:

Ol Jock 99
AG
MaroonStain said:

Disagree. Paul and Thufir Hawat were discussing the cost of the entourage sent Caladan. "They sent 3 Navigators". Those dudes in the spice masks are assistants, but not the actual Navigators.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

MaroonStain said:

Yep. Everyone seems to miss this:

Spacing Guild Ambassadors; not actual navigators
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Those were NOT navigators.
Lathspell
AG
Hmm... I thought I read somewhere they were. Oh well, i'm fine never having seen them.
Decay
AG
They better be saving navigators as a huge gross reveal in Messiah
toucan82
dumb question: is "Flight of the Navigator" set in the Dune universe?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
toucan82 said:

Yes but before the Butlerian Jihad
MaroonStain
AG
I thought there was a clip that showed the actual pilots at beginning of Dune1. I guess I will watch it again.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Decay said:

They better be saving navigators as a huge gross reveal in Messiah

I agree with this
Decay
AG
toucan82 said:

The kid discovers dune and spice to become the first Navigator, and Peewee Herman's soul inhabits the sandworms
Moral High Horse
Decay said:

WE WANT WEIRD

Battle pugs!!!!
swc93
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

The worst casting choices were

Walken
No child Alia
No Navigators.
Lizzo passed on the Navigator role and they just couldn't find any other serious contenders.
AustinScubaAg
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Guess it will be quiet in here until the weekend. A couple of more thoughts now that I've had a full day thinking about it.

-Greig Fraser is is on an unbelievable run as a cinematographer. His last four films have been Dune: Part Two, The Creator (meh movie but looked incredible), The Batman, and Dune. Some amazing shots in this movie.

-Start thinking about favorite scenes, I think Paul riding the sandworm, his speech as he declares himself Lisan al Gaib, Feyd in the arena, the Fremen raid on the spice crawler, and obviously the final battle sequence are probably up there.

-I really liked Bardem taking on the role of very small comic relief moments that had kind of been Duncan Idaho/Mamoa's role in Part 1.

-The score for this is so good. Been listening to it all day. I think we are very lucky that Hans Zimmer went with DV to do the Dunes, creating something so unique and different from the style that had maybe grown a little stale under Nolan, and cementing himself as one of the greatest of all time. Simultaneously clearing the path for Ludwig to work with Nolan, which gave me one of my favorite scores of the last several years in Oppenheimer.

As far as book stuff goes (Messiah Spoilers Below):

I liked the change of making Chani very reluctant to the whole prophecy idea. Added tension and gave her character some agency. And her clearly not being content to just be his side piece makes things very interesting for the hopeful end of the trilogy. In theory she needs to be with Paul because her giving birth is so huge for the storyline, but if they aren't interested in doing Children of Dune... does it matter? Very interested to see where they go form here.

Good move to have Alia speak as a fetus rather than trying to put a kid in the role. Excited to see what ATJ can do in that part.

That's really all I have as far as major differences go. I hope this thing makes a boatload of money and DV can feel comfortable taking his time and bringing us a great Messiah adaptation.

Really there were many more differences. The change to alia alone made a number of things significantly different
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Just started my night of Dune with the opportunity afforded me by my girls being in Bandera for the weekend. Dune Part 1 is such a fantastic movie, gloriously photographed, great score, and with no nagging wife saying "that's too loud, turn it down" , I can feel this sound in the very floor of my media room. In roughly 2 and a half hours I will be watching Dune Part 2 for the first time since I saw it in the theater.
Cliff.Booth
aTmAg
AG
I finally got around to watching this. I have not read the book but have seen the movie from the 80s. I have a question:

Is Paul the "messiah" or not? I get that the BGs spread propaganda/prophecies over centuries and yet, Paul seems to have abilities that nobody else has. Like basically see the entire mutli-verse and pick the right path.

I'm not sure if him being this level of omniscient is in the books or not, but I think that a big flaw in the story. I was a kid when I saw the 80s movie, but I thought he only saw vague visions that were like puzzle pieces that he would have to put together. That he could easily mess up and die as a result. I didn't get the impression that he had the ability to choose the best possible future. That removes a lot of the suspense. Since he picked his own ending, of course he is going to win the war. Of course he is going to kill bald Elvis. And now, of course he is going to kick the crap out of the other houses in the future movie(s).

Another thing I consider a flaw is why the hell is everybody using swords? They clearly have guns and missiles. Hell, they have shoulder mounted lasers that can slice through big ass ships like butter. Why does anybody have a sword at all? We modern humans don't have weapons anywhere near as advanced, but even we figured out that swords are useless against guns and bombs.

That being said, this movie was visually impressive. Maybe THE most visually impressive movie I can think of. Better than Star Wars, Avatar, etc.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yes and no. Paul is the result of generations of Bene Gesserit breeding, which allowed him to be the first male to survive the worm piss/use the voice. He was also trained as a Mentat (they don't really touch on this in the movie) which are humans able to perform complex mathematical problems that have been used to replace computers ever since they had a big war against AI thousands of years ago. Which is also why everything has pretty simple technology mixed with the very advanced technology, because they don't really use computers for anything. This is also why the spice is so important to the Empire, because it helps the navigators to make even more complex calculations to jump through space to other planets and not hit anything.

So Paul is something special. He basically has the brain of a super computer, and the bene Gesserit power mixed with the spice influence allows him to see millions of different outcomes based upon his decisions. When he drinks the worm piss, it connects him with all of the past bene gesserit (I think, it could have been his male ancestors instead) to give him the wisdom of their experience to make decisions. He's almost a god.

On the religion side, The Bene Gesserit have set up different religions with different prophecies over different planets over the last 10,000 years that are aimed at allowing them to maintain control over the populace on these planets if any house noble gets too out of hand. Even after the events of the second movie, the BG expect to be able to control Paul and reassert control over the empire by pulling at his strings.

Your last question again isn't touched on in the movies, but is explained in the books. The lasers were god-like weapons for a while until the invention of the shield they all use. If you hit a shield with one of those lasers, then it causes a nuclear detonation on each end of the laser shot. The shield also blocks anything moving too fast. So as a result, combat warfare evolved to swords/knives and the missiles we saw in the first movie that slow down enough to penetrate the shields. The lasers can be used in the desert though, because since the shields cause vibrations, they immediately attract the sand worms, so nobody uses them out there.

Circling back to your first question, one of the big themes of Dune is the concept of fate versus free will, and Paul's abilities are an example of that. Is it fate for him to be the messiah because of his powers/the religion, or is he just choosing to become it to get what he wants?
aTmAg
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Yes and no. Paul is the result of generations of Bene Gesserit breeding, which allowed him to be the first male to survive the worm piss/use the voice. He was also trained as a Mentat (they don't really touch on this in the movie) which are humans able to perform complex mathematical problems that have been used to replace computers ever since they had a big war against AI thousands of years ago. Which is also why everything has pretty simple technology mixed with the very advanced technology, because they don't really use computers for anything. This is also why the spice is so important to the Empire, because it helps the navigators to make even more complex calculations to jump through space to other planets and not hit anything.

So Paul is something special. He basically has the brain of a super computer, and the bene Gesserit power mixed with the spice influence allows him to see millions of different outcomes based upon his decisions. When he drinks the worm piss, it connects him with all of the past bene gesserit (I think, it could have been his male ancestors instead) to give him the wisdom of their experience to make decisions. He's almost a god.

On the religion side, The Bene Gesserit have set up different religions with different prophecies over different planets over the last 10,000 years that are aimed at allowing them to maintain control over the populace on these planets if any house noble gets too out of hand. Even after the events of the second movie, the BG expect to be able to control Paul and reassert control over the empire by pulling at his strings.

Your last question again isn't touched on in the movies, but is explained in the books. The lasers were god-like weapons for a while until the invention of the shield they all use. If you hit a shield with one of those lasers, then it causes a nuclear detonation on each end of the laser shot. The shield also blocks anything moving too fast. So as a result, combat warfare evolved to swords/knives and the missiles we saw in the first movie that slow down enough to penetrate the shields. The lasers can be used in the desert though, because since the shields cause vibrations, they immediately attract the sand worms, so nobody uses them out there.

Circling back to your first question, one of the big themes of Dune is the concept of fate versus free will, and Paul's abilities are an example of that. Is it fate for him to be the messiah because of his powers/the religion, or is he just choosing to become it to get what he wants?
So Paul isn't really "seeing" the future? He is sorta calculating the possibilities? That is sorta like Foundation which was written by Asimov before chaos theory was a thing. Now we know that is basically impossible. It's like the 3 body problem where a planet being moved by 1 mm would DRASTICALLY change the future and that makes it basically impossible to calculate.

When were these books written?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The original book was published in 1965 I believe.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aTmAg said:

So Paul isn't really "seeing" the future? He is sorta calculating the possibilities? That is sorta like Foundation which was written by Asimov before chaos theory was a thing. Now we know that is basically impossible. It's like the 3 body problem where a planet being moved by 1 mm would DRASTICALLY change the future and that makes it basically impossible to calculate.

Yes, and again, not really touched on in the movies, but he can't literally see everything. For example, the fight with Jamis and the fight with Feyd, those are described as blind points in his sight. He can see the outcomes of what could happen, but he doesn't know exactly what his opponent is going to do when there is a major turning point in his life. He relying on his own skill when these events happen. I can't remember if they call them nexus points or something else, but the book has some term for them.
aTmAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

The original book was published in 1965 I believe.
Ah.. so before. I'll let that excuse slide.
aTmAg
AG

aTmAg said:

Yes, and again, not really touched on in the movies, but he can't literally see everything. For example, the fight with Jamis and the fight with Feyd, those are described as blind points in his sight. He can see the outcomes of what could happen, but he doesn't know exactly what his opponent is going to do when there is a major turning point in his life. He relying on his own skill when these events happen. I can't remember if they call them nexus points or something else, but the book has some term for them.
I wish they made that more clear. I got the impression from one viewing that he drank worm piss and then was suddenly able to foresee the future like a god. Maybe I missed something there. And then I was thinking after that "of course THAT is going to work, he can see the future!!" After all, he wouldn't chose options that he knew would fail. In my mind, it turned his plot armor into a plot TANK.
Decay
AG
Yeah the books kinda go into how there is a way through but it's exceedingly difficult and the other paths lead to increasing levels of ruin. So he has to simultaneously be a better oracle than other oracles, control everything he can to affect the outcome in the way he wants, all while he doubts himself - does he even WANT that outcome? Is he willing to pay the costs, many of which he knows but some he doesn't?
aTmAg
AG
One issue I had with both the 80s movie and these is how there is too little doubt in that he is the messiah. In the old movie, I don't think they don't even mentioned that the prophesies were BG originated propaganda. It was a bunch of "holy crap he really IS the messiah!!" over and over. This one sees a tiny bit of doubt by that BD revelation, but it's still doubtless in the the viewer's eyes (even if Paul himself may has doubts).

One thing that I think the first Matrix movie did so well is that they sowed doubt in Neo AND the viewer. He wasn't ridiculously powerful from the first moment. He got his ass kicked and even was flat out told by an oracle that he was not the "one". Because of that, his plot armor is much thinner. I think they did that really well. The remaining movies were trash though.
G.I.Bro
There is less doubt in the books iirc, but one of Herbert's themes was not to trust charismatic leaders. It doesn't really work out for anyone, so in hindsight the reader is meant to think "maybe they shouldn't have followed him"
Ornithopter
AG
It is hard to write it up without spoiling things, but essentially Paul's prescience presents moral/ethical problems because to achieve the ideal outcome a great price must be paid. The movie does hit on this theme a little bit, but it should be interesting to see how Villanueve approaches it Dune Messiah.
aTmAg
AG
G.I.Bro said:

There is less doubt in the books iirc, but one of Herbert's themes was not to trust charismatic leaders. It doesn't really work out for anyone, so in hindsight the reader is meant to think "maybe they shouldn't have followed him"
NONE of this stuff is in the original movie. In that one, he is the Messiah from day one, kills the bad guys, and then "yay what a great Messiah!" Pretty shallow and lame. Obviously these movies have more depth.

Right now, the dilemma for Paul seems to be "do action X and 1 billion people die or do action Y and more than 1 billion people die." If that were the choice, then the answer is obvious. Since that is boring, I imagine Herbert would make option 1 include Paul (or somebody he cares about) dying. But I haven't read any of this, so I don't know for sure.
aTmAg
AG
BTW, last night I came away from the movie sorta pissed off that Paul was omniscient. I basically wrote off the last 20% of the movie and 100% of upcoming movies as lame. Your explanation has encouraged me to watch it again and be excited for the next one.

I do wish they explained that the omniscience wasn't really omniscient. Just him trying to "out calculate" everybody else. That he could be way wrong. That changes a lot.
Decay
AG
But also he can see the future for real

Look it's complicated
aTmAg
AG
Decay said:

But also he can see the future for real

Look it's complicated
DAMMIT.
Moral High Horse
So the whole deal with Jamis and their friendship on Dune 1 was that was an alternate reality he was seeing prior to the duel? Also on the 80's movie he cried about killing him. Guess they didnt' go with that on the new dune.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.