*** JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX ***

12,275 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by jokershady
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
spanky said:

The more hate I hear about this movie, the more likely I will love it.

I find the talk about it being outside the Batman/Joker universe kind of odd...people complaining about it not being their Joker, etc., while they are ok with cartoon Harley in the Batman comic universe.

To be honest, I find the depiction of a crazy mfer who could actually represent what a real life villain would resemble psychologically to be more interesting than the other comic fodder we get these days. I also enjoy Loki and WandaVision along the same lines I guess.

I loved the original joker.

And I'm going to love part 2.

I agree. With all the comic book fodder out there, I will take the delusional man in psychosis leading an army.

Although, I see this for free at the psychiatric hospital I work at, it's pretty epic to see a dramatization over it.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce
It didnt have anything new to say the first time.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Think I might be skipping this one. I wasn't a fan of the first installment, and this one somehow sounds even worse/more pointless.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
yeah. i was not a fan of the first one either, but i had the slightest hope this might have been interesting.

given that it is likely the final part of this story, will likely pass on home video as well.
Cliff.Booth
https://www.ioncinema.com/reviews/todd-phillips-joker-folie-a-deux-review

Quote:

Kudos to Todd Phillips for forcing US audiences to be confronted with the intriguing subtitle for his highly anticipated sequel, Joker: Folie Deux, a psychiatric term from 19th century French psychiatrist Charles Lasegue, which means 'madness of two.' But the shared delirium implied of the toxic romance at the heart of the narrative really applies to anyone who's impressed by this interminably vacuous sequel to Phillip's 2019 Joker, which surprisingly won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival and took home a Best Actor Academy Award for Joaquin Phoenix. The director and returning star are joined, in what feels like stunt casting after witnessing the end product, multihyphenate Lady Gaga, whose performance suggests her breakout role in the third remake of A Star is Born (2018) is now a star tarnished. A bloated, kitschy, ersatz musical, which stagnates mercilessly in one of the most inept courtroom sequences conceived, what's perhaps most disappointing is a bungled attempt at an essentially interesting concept. Returning co-scribe Scott Silver's iffy bits of dialogue aren't able to be masked by the strength of the cast this time around, especially with a returning lead who, when he isn't caterwauling through endless musical numbers, appears to have slipped into eternal somnolence.

Two years after Arthur Fleck (Phoenix) murdered five people (one on national television), his lawyer (Catherine Keener) has found a way to find him mentally competent to stand trial. The defense? Mr. Fleck is suffering from, in the period and language of the film, from multiple personality disorder. It wasn't Arthur, but his alter ego Joker, a self defense mechanism, responsible for unleashing violence. Just prior to the trial, Arthur is allowed to attend music classes in the minimum security ward of the psychiatric institution where he's held, courtesy of a self-motivated guard (Brenden Gleeson) who loves himself some classic tunes. There he meets Harleen "Lee" Quinzel (Lady Gaga), an inmate who seems to be Fleck's number one fan. With the briefest of flirtations, they fall in love, a literal inferno developing as they sing and dance their way into each other's shared delusion. But now, Arthur has a reason to live, and fires his lawyer so he may defend himself mid-way through his trial, donning his Joker persona at the not-so-subtle bidding of Lee. Though he ignores the red flags suggesting she has ulterior motives, Arthur finds he's having trouble discerning whether or not he's two different people or simply one broken, easily corruptible whole.

It would appear Joker: Folie Deux might have been overwhelmed by the expectations established by its predecessor, opening as it does with a retro Warner Bros. cartoon treatment of Joker being sabotaged by his own insidious shadow. In fact, the sequel only serves to diminish the questionable mystique conjured by the novelty of an R-rated super villain's origin story which had allegorical ties to reality in ways most comic book related films do not. But if Phillips was trying to please anyone, it was perhaps co-star Lady Gaga, who purportedly insisted on the cast and crew referring to her by character name only (according to DP Lawrence Sher). Making this tidbit even more obnoxious is the inert end product of such a pointless demand. What we get is the equivalent of seeing concert footage of Gaga since there's really no valid attempts at characterizing who Harley Quinn is supposed to be. Initially, the wide-eyed psychotic stare in her first handful of scenes suggest something promising, like she's some gonzo femme fatale desiring to use Fleck for own devious means. We learn only that she's a consummate liar who lives with her wealthy parents on the Upper West side and is basically using her privilege to assert herself in the media spotlight…which doesn't sound too far removed from the actor's own origins.

The musical cues, of which there are many, transport us into the fantasy realm, where nothing much happens for the developing chemistry between the leads. A Gotham variety show finds Gaga outshining Phoenix in a way that recalls The Sonny and Cher Show, where audiences could enjoy the talents of Cher but also have to contend with the singing of Sonny Bono. But more often than not, it seems as if Gaga is trying too hard and at the wrong character element. We already know she's a talented singer. Wouldn't it have been more interesting to see her outside of this fantasy as a vocal wannabe? Phoenix often feels overwhelmed in their shared sequences, the only out-of-pocket risks occurring during the trial when, dressed as Joker, he attempts to question witnesses using varying degrees of Southern and British accents. Bill Smitrovich futilely commands as a judge who's all bark and no bite (and doesn't seem to mind when an accused murderer doesn't freely approach the witness stand without asking).

The talents of the supporting cast are squandered, with Brenden Gleeson growing tiresome as a musical obsessed abusive cop who takes pleasure in degrading his wards. In what feels like a desperate bid for the film to flex some violent menace, a late staged beat down of Arthur Fleck leads to the murder of a gay prison youth championing his cause and feels rather pointless. The same can be said for erroneous DC comics connective tissue courtesy of Harvey Dent (Harry Lawtey) playing the smug prosecuting attorney, who has about as much personality as a spindly coat rack.

Catherine Keener as a sympathetic lawyer, and Zazie Beetz, reprising her kindly neighbor character from the first film for one scene, appear to be on hand to establish some sense of legitimacy but are usurped by the repetitive ebb and flow of the apathetically constructed narrative. Chaos seems to always be leering around the corner, but when something truly explosive happens we're already wishing the blast would knock us into the end credits. In their final interaction, Arthur pleads with Lee to stop he doesn't want to go on singing, which is where the desires of character and audience finally intersect. An unsurprising climax is only one more instance revealing the lack of attention paid to details. The heavily utilized "What the World Needs Now" track insists love is the only thing there's just too little of, but there's much more lacking in Joker: Folie Deux.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Here is our list of suspects for Harley Quinn. Hmmm nothing is jumping out at me - Gotham PD
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I won't be watching this. It's clear they're trying to channel the hyper "artistic" A24 bull**** with a mix of musical in there. Hard pass.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
pretty amazing fall from grace for a sequel that did not need to be made other than WB got greedy .
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Almost like it was made up during a kid's show.

I'll also be skipping this one. Love Batman and his rogue gallery, but these movies just aren't very good imo.
Aggie Dad 26
El Gallo Blanco said:

TCTTS said:

A reminder that this movie...

- Is a sequel to 2019's Joker, which made $1.07B worldwide.

- Isn't part of the old DCEU.

- Isn't part of the new DCU.

- Isn't part of Matt Reeves'/Robert Pattinson's The Batman Saga.

- Is set in its own, contained universe, which now falls under the "DC Elseworlds" label.

- Is DC's only 2024 movie, releasing between "eras," before the DCU kicks off in 2025 with James Gunn's Superman.
I still maintain that Joker was the best and most gritty and realistic hero/villain origin story I have ever seen. I really hope Lady Gaga can somehow pull her weight...slightly worried about her trying to "over act", but we will see. JP's performance in Joker was nothing short of amazing. Dude's one of the greatest actors to ever live in my book.

I thought she was nails in American Horror Story
TCTTS
AG
rhutton125
AG
Man. We'll see how it all shakes out, but it'd be interesting if this is added to that short list of the Marvels / Alice in Wonderland 2 where the first one made a ****ton but the sequel prospects were kind of fool's gold.

Not sure what else goes on that list - maybe Aquaman 2.
C@LAg
Looks like this movie is Deux Deux
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Would not have expected Beetlejuice to outgross Joker 2, but seems plausible now.
Cliff.Booth
WB had to decide if they wanted Joker 2 to be a musical with Lady Gaga in it and Joaquin Phoenix singing or if they wanted it to make money.
jokershady
AG
C@LAg said:

Looks like this movie is Deux Deux
the immature side of me laughed way too hard at this poop joke….

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.