*** JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX ***

12,291 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by jokershady
Capybara
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cliff.Booth said:

Joker had what I call the Catcher in the Rye Effect, which is where there is a protagonist who is a ****ing loser but IRL losers lionize him into a folk hero. It was a clarion call for dudes who got bullied in school and can't get laid and might be on the spectrum and want everyone to know they are a lil wacky and hateful.
Awful interpretation of both that novel and its admirers.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

I do not get the "unoriginal" or "cliched" takes at all personally, but respect that everyone's diff.
When was the last time you watched The King of Comedy or Taxi Driver? Even critics who liked Joker said it primarily worked as homage to those films and to the era of film making that they came out of.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly.
Another Doug
AG
There is like a 99% chance angsty but rich kid Holden grows up to be a hedge fund manager, meanwhile Cliff Booth ends up as a wife killing gofer for a D-list actor.
Another Doug
AG
For the record, I thought The Joker was genius in the same way Twist and Shout by The Beatles is genius. Sure its not original but the nuance that makes it consumable to the masses makes it a classic.
El Gallo Blanco
DustysLineup said:

Quote:

I do not get the "unoriginal" or "cliched" takes at all personally, but respect that everyone's diff.
When was the last time you watched The King of Comedy or Taxi Driver? Even critics who liked Joker said it primarily worked as homage to those films and to the era of film making that they came out of.

Omg a modern film that has some similarities or parallels to a movie almost 50 years old. By that logic, "The Town" must be utter crap because it is basically "Heat" set in Boston but with a bunch of poor, half literate meatheads. And both movies are still awesome in their own right.

Haven't seen King of Comedy. But Taxi Driver and Joker are both really good movies to me, that I have seen multiple times in recent years, and I only catch a few similarities.

It did pay homage to those eras in a brilliant way though. Captures grimy sleazy 1970's NYC in genius fashion. Nothing felt inauthentic.

Great film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DustysLineup said:

Quote:

Sure, but the same applies to Star Wars, and many other classics.

Better question is, did it do it well? Answer is definitely yes.

If you want to see bland, uninspired comic book films, just look at most of Marvel's phase 5.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great minds...
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Haven't seen King of Comedy.
You should watch it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Joker falls directly into my over 40 (and now 50) list of "I got enough problems of my own without some other guy face his demons" category of movies. I did like Gaga in A Star is Born though, maybe she'll make it more interesting.
El Gallo Blanco
I honestly don't understand the "it's just a movie about a dumb loser" sentiment. Unless maybe you just watched the first half of the movie or so. He is a much different person at the end of the movie than the beginning.

He is clearly completely crippled by a horrific upbringing and all the baggage that comes with it, mentall illness, and being on SEVEN different drugs. He hasn't had an ounce of happiness or confidence his entire life...much less any taste of power, control or influence. He's a messed up 40-something year old man who lives with his crazy mom (who we later find out is not his mother) and bathes her. He was abused and neglected in ways none of us can imagine. And yes, he can't spell for sh**....OK, I guess he is dumb in many ways, fair point.

But as the haze is lifted (partly by stopping his meds cold turkey I assume) and he begins feeling joy and pleasure for the first time by acting out and enacting psychopathic revenge on the "cruel" world, he starts becoming smarter and more calculated. He's still a pretty clumsy criminal, with a lot to learn, but you can see him trending towards the Joker we are all more familiar with as the movie goes on. He feeds off notoriety and finally being noticed for the first time in his life. His violence has started an antifa/occupy-wallstreet like movement.

I am expecting him to achieve "diabolical genius" status in the second one, personally. If done correctly, I think it might help many people view the first one in a better light in hindsight.

Regardless, I hope we can all agree that he is much more unique and nuanced than this one...

MooreTrucker
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

Regardless, I hope we can all agree that he is much more unique and nuanced than this one...

I WILL FIGHT YOU!!! YOU BLASPHEMER!!!!
TCTTS
AG
Warner Bros usually releases their trailers in the morning, but considering their CinemaCon panel isn't until 4 PM Vegas/Pacific time on Tuesday, they'll probably wait until around then to drop it online, either as or just after it premieres for the audience there.
TCTTS
AG
Carlo4
AG
Going to be really awkward when she hits the big time, becomes a bigger star than he ever was, and he "commits suicide" by fighting batman.

TCTTS
AG
Joker: Folie a Deux
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11315808/
October 4, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

Another Doug
AG
Would be awesome if this movie is secretly a musical
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I thought that was already confirmed.
C@LAg
Another Doug said:

Would be awesome if this movie is secretly a musical
it kind of is.... supposed to be jukebox musical.
TCTTS
AG
They've said it's not a musical in the traditional sense, but there are apparently multiple musical numbers - rumored up to 15 - that are all "jukebox" style covers.
TCTTS
AG
So I can't tell if they're stuck in Arkham most of the movie, and most scenes outside of Arkham are, like, whimsical, escapist dreams? Or maybe they do actually get out and wreak havoc, which is what I'm hoping...

Either way, I think this one looks FAR more interesting and original than the first.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The shot of them doing the exact same leg kick on the staircase from the first movie is a little cringe / on-the-nose for me.

Love the last shot though. And I'm all in for this being a musical.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, this will be another huge hit. Maybe not $1B, but I see this doing at least $800M.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, between this (in October) and Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (in September), Warner Bros is going to have a massive fall season. And that's after they've already dominated this spring with Dune: Part Two and Godzilla x Kong.
lunchbox
TCTTS said:

Warner Bros is going to have a massive fall.
I had to read that three times to figure out you didn't mean it in a bad way.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, just changed it for clarity.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Love the last shot though. And I'm all in for this being a musical.

The last shot with the red lipstick into a smile is fantastic
TCTTS
AG
I wonder how many takes it took to get right, or what tricks they potentially used to help him land it.

So cool either way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow I forgot Beetlejuice was WB. Yeah between that, Dune, and this, they're gonna have a hell of a year.
AtticusMatlock
Dear studio.

Here is money. Please take it.

Thanks.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Lathspell
AG
I mean... it looks interesting. I thought lady gaga did great in A Star is Born, so will look forward to seeing her in this. I'll hold my judgements until I see it, but this entire iteration of the Joker being so different from any story we've ever had, and in a world without Batman is something I still don't necessarily celebrate.

Also, I've always loved the backstory of Harley Quinn. As someone who grew up with the Animated Series (let's be honest, I'd still watch that **** today as a 36yo), Harley Quinn's story of being a Psychiatrist at Arkham who falls in love with the Joker and slowly is dragged into her "crazy" by the Joker is something I really would have preferred to see. This trailer makes it seem like she's just a fellow patient, but maybe we just aren't seeing something.

Guess I'm just not the biggest fan of this retcon.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

I wonder how many takes it took to get right, or what tricks they potentially used to help him land it.

So cool either way.

LMCane
agree completely

also, what's the point of all this.

as others mentioned, this is dark AF

so is there an underlying moral play which redeems it?

or is it just two hours of dark nihilism fantasy of burning everything down?

no thanks. life is too short.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.