2021 Tundra vs 2024 Tundra - Which would you buy?

11,936 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by f2foxes2001
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
My '17 Silverado broke down the other day and is looking to have the dreaded lifter issues common to that 5.3L v8 Engine. So now I am looking like I will need to find a new ride and I am not really excited at that prospect.

I want reliability and low hassle. But if I drain our car savings account on a used truck - my wife is gonna make sure I never hear the end of it. I'm willing to bear that burden if it's worth it - but figured I'd get the Texags Automotive Brain Trust's thoughts on which is better....

The 2024 Tundra? Gets pretty decent MPG and seems to have worked out most of the issues with the new generation Tundras that you hear/see about the '22 and '23 models. They are also quite expensive which is leading me towards also considering the second gen Tundras with the v8

The 2021 Tundra has the 5.7L v8 that is pretty bulletproof and is a very proven/reliable truck but 13/17 MPG. I've also missed the boat on securing "new" so means I will have to try and find a decent used one with low miles.

Given this scenario - do you think it's wise to jump into the 2021? Am I in the right frame of mind considering avoiding the 2024? My ultimate goal is reliability and low hassle - I want this truck to last as long as possible.
3rd Platoon
AG
Get the '21 with the bulletproof V8. The turbo engine on the new ones, even the '24s, still have issues. Stick to what works.
easttexasaggie04
AG
The tech on the previous gen is so outdated. If that doesn't bother you then I'd go previous gen. However I'm a nerd and like all the newest stuff like wireless CarPlay. Especially if everything is under warranty for quite a while.
Tumble Weed
I will continue to buy a v8 as long as they are available, regardless of brand.
Ag for Life
AG
The new Tundras are still having main bearing failures in 23s and 24s that they said was 2022 models only. I'd steer clear of the new ones until they've remedied that completely.
texag06ish
AG
2014 1974 Tundra 4x4 owner. My only issues in 100k miles and 10 years have been:

-Cam tower oil leak (known issue, fixed under warranty)
-Drivers side door lock actuator (x2 - Toyota actually covered the cost of the first one out of warranty)
-Battery (2)
-Break rotors (road them too hard on a trip to the Ozarks)
-Alternator (truck sat mostly unused for a few years when I had a company vehicle - I should have kept a battery tender on it)
-HVAC Blower motor (x2. Replaced myself both times, less than $100 fix)

I also replaced the head unit with a wireless carplay unit and did a bunch of bolt on aftermarket/TRD stuff.

It's a great truck. I've been up in my families new car rotation and have passed at least once. I'll probably pass the next go around too.

Long story short, you can't go wrong with the previous gen Tunrda.

bam02
AG
'21!!!

My 2014 has been 100% perfect through 180,000 miles.

I'm just not a fan of the new ones. I had one as a rental and drove it and didn't like as much as my old one.

A buddy of mine had a 2021 and recently traded in for a newer generation platinum with the hybrid set up he said it has a lot of power, but the gas mileage is basically the same as the old. Even with the hybrid.
The Kraken
AG
Quote:

2014 1974 Tundra 4x4 owner
Does it come with a vinyl bench seat and metal dash?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
drumboy
AG
texag06ish said:

2014 1974 Tundra 4x4 owner. My only issues in 100k miles and 10 years have been:

-Cam tower oil leak (known issue, fixed under warranty)
-Drivers side door lock actuator (x2 - Toyota actually covered the cost of the first one out of warranty)
-Battery (2)
-Break rotors (road them too hard on a trip to the Ozarks)
-Alternator (truck sat mostly unused for a few years when I had a company vehicle - I should have kept a battery tender on it)
-HVAC Blower motor (x2. Replaced myself both times, less than $100 fix)

I also replaced the head unit with a wireless carplay unit and did a bunch of bolt on aftermarket/TRD stuff.

It's a great truck. I've been up in my families new car rotation and have passed at least once. I'll probably pass the next go around too.

Long story short, you can't go wrong with the previous gen Tunrda.

Jesus that sounds like a Ram. Mine had way less issues up to 275k miles.
fixer
I have a 2019 trd pro and it has had no issues of any kind whatsoever. I also have a 21 4 runner with no issues of any kind.

I posted some details in this thread that may interest you:

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3441146/replies/66873833#66873833
Buck Turgidson
The '21 would be my pick IF you can find one that hasn't been beaten up. I tried to find a very specific one almost 2 years ago and the few times I found one that matched my specs, it was already scratched and dinged-up. Thats when I just got a new Titan instead. If you are flexible of the details, you can probably find a clean one with a little work. Expect to pay too much for a used truck with whatever miles it will have. There is a "Toyota tax", meaning a premium price compared to other brands of used trucks.

OR you can get a low mileage used Titan at a really good price (Pro 4X sometimes under 40k with lower miles). If you get a CPO one, I think the warranty gets extended to 7 years. No mad wife, reliable power train, and extended warranty.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Thanks everyone for the input this far.

One follow up question on the '21 - how many miles should I be targeting? Under 15K? Under 40K?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I've contemplated the Titan as well. But I know they decided to stop making them after 2023 I think - will that affect anything going forward?
bam02
AG
Pretty sure they're making 2024s and then done. This would be my choice probably.

A 2021 Tundra is gonna be hard to find with under 30-40k miles I think but I wouldn't hesitate if you found a good clean one. They are really expensive for a used truck but it's for a good reason.
AgGrad99
AG
As the lone dissenting voice, I'd probably grab a '24 and enjoy the better gas mileage and new warranty for any issues that might occur.

But if you're after the '21, here is a low mileage one, that CPO:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/711573009?allListingType=all-cars&city=Cedar%20Park&endYear=2021&makeCode=TOYOTA&mileage=45000&modelCode=TUNDRA&newSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fall-cars%2F2021%2Ftoyota%2Ftundra%2Fcedar-park-tx%3Fmileage%3D45000%26newSearch%3Dtrue&startYear=2021&state=TX&clickType=listing
aggie_wes
AG
Titan is a good option. Also would go for the 2021 Tundra, the new turbo V6 has apparently been chewing up main bearings.

I ended up getting a '24 GM with the 3.0 Diesel. I too have had the lifter issue with the GM motor (I was able to fix it enough to trade it, btw, the thread is on here somewhere).
aggiepaintrain
AG
2014-early 2020 (pre covid)
No Titan
texag06ish
AG
A lot of user issues or known Toyota fail points in that list but I'm sure your Ram was reliable. Ram's are synonymous with reliability.
drumboy
AG
texag06ish said:

A lot of user issues or known Toyota fail points in that list but I'm sure your Ram was reliable. Ram's are synonymous with reliability.

I had a Tundra
Buck Turgidson
I don't think so. They've made Titans for a long time and there are laws requiring auto makers to continue making replacement parts for several years after they stop producing a given model. I have two boys about to start driving and I'm looking at both used Titans and Frontiers as a possible first vehicle for them. I'm leaning toward the Titans because the warranty is so much better and for just a few grand extra compared to the Frontiers.
88Warrior
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

I've contemplated the Titan as well. But I know they decided to stop making them after 2023 I think - will that affect anything going forward?

I have a 2017 Titan and have been very happy with it…115,000 miles and no issues…
texag06ish
AG
I think I may have sold you my stock 1794 wheels.

You lived inside the loop at the time.
TSJ
AG
I have a 2023 tundra with 34k miles. It runs well but I wouldn't exactly say it gets great gas mileage (16-18 mpg).
Bones97
AG
Don't get caught up paying premium for one with 20k miles. Anything under 50k is fine as long as it's had oil changes done near schedule.
These trucks only need oil changes and brake pads up to 100k.
Also think about trim level. You can get an SR5 and install really good leather seat covers. If you want a Platinum or TRD Pro, you're going to pay a premium. Limited is the sweet spot. They are coming down a bit but hold value really well.
Howdy Dammit
AG
2.7 F150. 3 in my family all with over 100k and none in the shop ever.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

You brought a Ford to a Tundra fight my friend. Never bring a Ford to a Tundra Fight.
Howdy Dammit
AG

Howdy Dammit said:

You brought a Ford to a Tundra fight my friend. Never bring a Ford to a Tundra Fight.
America has a track record against Japan
JP76
Howdy Dammit said:

Better go buy some lotto tickets because you are one lucky dude
JP76
How many miles do you drive a year ?

What kind of mpg does your chevy get ?
JSKolache
AG

Thanks everyone for the input this far.

One follow up question on the '21 - how many miles should I be targeting? Under 15K? Under 40K?
Those mileages are fungible. Doesn't matter. I bought a used tundra with 65k mi, added 80k and traded on a sequoia with 85k mi have added another 30k. No issues with either, just routine maintenance fluids, pads and rotors, plugs, etc. Im a believer. Would buy both again.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
JP76 said:

Silverado averages 14.5MPG between city and highway.

As far as number of miles? Tough to say given I drive to my clients - so 12,500ish?
Aggiehunter34
S
TSJ said:

I have a 2023 tundra with 34k miles. It runs well but I wouldn't exactly say it gets great gas mileage (16-18 mpg).

My 23 averages about the same.
bam02
AG
Heck my 2014 averages 16.
BigTex83
AG
I've had multiple Tundras since they came out in 2000. In 2022 I traded in a 2016 TRD Pro with 126,000 miles for a 2022 Capstone because dealers kept offering me an insane amount for trade in. Before the 2016 TRD Pro I had a 2012 Limited.

Comparing the previous generation Tundras to the current. Never had any issues with the last generation (which would be the 2021 your considering) but 126,000 miles was the highest mileage I got to. Even though same V8 engine the TRD Pro had more power to me due to the factory dual exhaust and the gear ratio. Had a great sound. As someone else mentioned, not much tech in the last gen Tundra. V8 was noisy also. But really liked the 2016 TRD Pro. Had a hard time getting rid of it.

With that said, I really like my 2022 Capstone. I have 29,000 miles and no issues except a rattle from something coming loose with the moonroof. They fixed. Didn't impact operation just made a noise.

The hybrid is smooth and powerful. It's not a plugin hybrid. The motors are between the engine and transmission and are for torque and prevent any turbo lag. Looked at some road test and 2022 was about a second faster in quarter mile than the V8. Can't predict long term reliability but Toyota doesn't put out a product they haven't tested thoroughly. If I remember the hybrid power train has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. I don't usually keep trucks past 100,000 so I'm good.

The tech and features of the new generation Tundra is awesome. No more little screen and lots more features. Interior quality is much better. Last generation had a lot of plastic even compared to the first generation Tundras I had. Plus I like the look of my 2022. I know some hate the new Tundra front end but I like the looks of the truck.

So, can't say anything bad about either. I really like my 2022. I'd say you'd have to check out and test drive the two models and see what you like better. As someone else said, might be hard to find low mileage 2021. Tundras can put a lot of miles on but if you do recommended maintenance at higher mileage it's not cheap.

Hope that helps.
JP76

JP76 said:

Silverado averages 14.5MPG between city and highway.

As far as number of miles? Tough to say given I drive to my clients - so 12,500ish?

I'm averaging ~20 mpg on my 2023 tundra but it will consistently hit 23 on the highway with the cruise set at 75. City only has been ~17-18 mpg

You don't drive that many miles so i say go with a new one over an older one. The key to turbo motors is clean oil. Run good synthetic oil and even change it more often than the 10k factory recommendation if you are worried. Keep in mind toyota has been making turbo motors for over 30 years so they know a thing or 2 about keeping them reliable.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.