Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

157,054 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Bob Knights Paper Hands
cheeky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$2.00 table minimum
Jet Black
junk bond said:

$2.00 table minimum

???
59 South
AG
On AMD, I'm looking for it to touch 54 today to confirm it is safely back in the middle of the sideways channel. 53.50 may be good enough, but 54 would make it about as guaranteed as you can get in this game. From there, it would just be some patience to see whether she wants to go back to test the top or bottom of the channel. It has really liked that 52-54 range for awhile before making a move the past few times.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Added to my AMZN position two days ago. Picked up more shares at $2670 and more shares at $2640.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
59 South
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

Added to my AMZN position two days ago. Picked up more shares at $2670 and more shares at $2640.
Wise move. When 2800 gets taken out, it's 3000 fairly quickly.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
59 South said:

It really depends on your time frame and patience. I ultimately think it will eventually break 60 and head to 75-100. Could be soon and could be awhile.

I like it closing over 52 here today if that holds. That full recapture of last Friday's big red candle and 8 EMA is good for shorter term. Closing over 53 today or tomorrow is even better and recaptures last Thursday's candle and the 21 as well. That should almost certainly get you in the 54-57 range quick. So 5-10% is good enough for some.

For longer term you're playing for the big bucks and an order of magnitude trade more 50-100% (more my style), but a lot of things can mess it up during that process - earnings, macro, etc...

Thanks. I've had some AMD for years. I bought more shares and calls of: 7/10$54, 7/10$56, and 1/15/2021$75. I'll put stop limits on all calls for max loss of 30%, go net free on the 7/10 calls if they jump and let the others run.

Already up 5-8% this morning.
59 South
AG
I like those calls. Be careful if you're watching the 1 or 5 minute charts on the underlying. There's a lot of noise going on with it like that shakeout early today.

AMD is the perfect stock to watch the hourly charts to filter out all those jerky moves. It tends to really respect those hourly channels though.

ETA if it clears 52.75 here soon today, I wouldn't get antsy and sell any calls until it get close to 54 where there's previous channel resistance. It really doesn't have anything stopping it between 52.75 and 54.
krosch11
AG
Anyone here in to DOMO? I started buying it when our company started using it because I liked the product and it has been very effective for us.

I bought more when it dipped after the goal post (below) signal. For me this one may not be a swing trade, but more of a long hold.

Just wanted to add one to the discussion here as I've enjoyed this thread as much as the trading thread.
Swollen Thumb
AG
59, I think you've mentioned you use Fidelity Active Trader Pro. Do you know how to get the TMM Squeeze and/or anchored VWAP for charts? I can't find these under the Indicators or TA menus, so wondering if they are referred to by different names or are simply not available on the platform.

Thanks!
Whitehouse Road
AG
Based on his previous posts it looks like he uses trading view for charts.
59 South
AG
I do use Fidelity ATP sometimes when/if I'm more active (pun intended), and I have recently started using it to buy and sell. But honestly, I've just been using Trading View for all charting. ATP is just so unnatural and clunking for me. It's good for reviewing option chains and charts on options when I've had more time to do that sort of thing.

Oddly enough, I make quite a few moves just using the Fidelity app. I try to make things really simple.

To answer your question, I have no idea. I don't even use those indicators. I do like the way ATP shows the volume bars on the side over the chart.
Talon2DSO
AG
59 South said:

RightWingConspirator said:

Wise move. When 2800 gets taken out, it's 3000 fairly quickly.

Hell my 2870 has life in it
59 South
AG
Hell of a day/week to be heavy heavy long in SQ, ROKU, AMZN and NIO.

Now if JD would just clear 61 and get me to my 65 exit, and AMD would bust up to about 60...

Oh, and if I'd only went all in on WKHS last week...
Swollen Thumb
AG
Gotcha, thanks. I've generally just used the normal Fidelity website or app. I just started exploring ATP over the past couple months to better understand some of the technical analysis bantered about on these threads. Those are two indicators I've seen mentioned quite a bit, but can't seem to get them on ATP.
K_P
AG
With the rise in index funds, what happens to value investing?

I am young with two kids, and I've been preached index funds my whole life, so my 401k is all index funds. (Not that ballsy.) However the above question drives me to look for value with my taxable account. I'm really just getting started.

(in order of portfolio %)
Boeing
Sysco
JP Morgan
GM
Carnival Cruises
Under Armour
Southwest
Disney
Mastercard
Coca Cola
Microsoft
Home Depot
CSX
Apple
Diamondback Energy
YouBet
AG
I bleed maroon said:

You Bet - How do you feel about PLUG now, at over $8 a share? I am hedging with some puts (stock is in a separate non-option approved account), as I feel it might be overheated.

Ah ha.

Quote:

Plug Power's fuel-cell forklifts, used in warehousing, allow customers such as Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) and Wal-Mart Inc. (WMT) to save money and improve productivity, the analysts said in a note Tuesday.

Trading at $9 now.

Wish I had been paying attention and would have bought much more.
PA24
AG
WKHS reminds me of my high school sweetheart......So very satisfying but in the end, rips out my heart and shows it to me.

I pulled out this afternoon....so
Thank you 59!!!!

If she moves pass 20...back all in for the heartbreak.

tk for tu juan
Could be worse, last week I bought 100 shares for $6.50 and sold them for $9.30 in the after hours the next day for a quick $280 gain.

Seeing it at $19 reminds me how dumb I am
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
WKHS is +1,021% on 3 months.

WTF is WKHS and why did I not buy it in April?
tk for tu juan
They are an EV company for mainly the last mile delivery of packages. Also have some connections to drone delivery. They passed the federal vehicle safety tests last week and the stock took-off
frankm01
Hey 59 South, thanks for starting this thread.

Long Term Favorites:
AMZN
ARNA Arena Pharm
BA (Although usually go in and out of this one when it makes a good run)
CLX Clorox (Done well before and during Covid)
CVX
ED Con Edison (Although going flat the last few weeks)
NFLX
UPS

Also like AAWW and ATSG. Both fly packages under contract for Amazon. Keeping these on the off chance that Amazon gobbles one of them up to have more control of the airline operation.

Also have been building FNGU which is a 3X leveraged FANG+ ETF. Its up a lot but very risky especially if you own any of the FANG. Anyone else have experience with this one?

Looking forward to following this thread.

59 South
AG
Here's my long term take on JD and why I'm looking for 65 to exit (from ~34 average cost basis). It may not get there, but that's what I'm waiting for. If it breaks down, I'll look for a lower exit.

59 South
AG
On NIO, I'm watching very closely here. Big news came out overnight on their Q2 deliveries and pushing up near $9 premarket. It has euphoria potential possibly coming up on it's all time highs. Proceed with extreme caution. That's all I will say. Here's an all time monthly chart with some reference levels....

ETA Just for transparency, I've accumulated way too many shares after buying way too much too early over the past year and a half. Lots of lessons learned on this one but my average cost basis is about 5.25. I'm not buying anymore, but also not taking any other actions at this point. Getting my trigger finger to sell some covered calls and sell some excess shares.

Ignore those dashed trend lines, forgot to remove them...

BrokeAssAggie
What do you mean by proceed with caution? If you are already in look at getting out today?
59 South
AG
I edited to add some personal transparency on it. I'm still sitting tight. Basically, it could blow off top here today or it could explode over $10 and never look back. You never know how news events will drive price especially with smaller caps. If it gets to and holds $11 over the coming days/weeks, who knows how high it could go. You can also see my thoughts on it and where my head was at early last week on page 1. Over $9 premarket with big volume. How it handles $9.25-10.00 should be very telling.

I've noticed lately that I need to start posting the risk with disclaimers when I put stuff like this out here for everyone to see. People can dive straight into recs, get emotional about it, and can be very weird when it comes to real money. Not all trades and technicals are going to work out. Some don't understand that so I'm going be more careful moving forward.
BrokeAssAggie
Gotcha. I just got in for $7.50. I'm learning and I appreciate all your insight and analysis. If folks don't understand there are risk of losing money than they should just stick with CDs or something. In Carter's book he mentions that you can't look at your account as money but it's a score board!
59 South
AG
So true. Sometimes I just block it all out and think of it as numbers on a screen in a game where the goal is to make the numbers keep getting bigger and bigger.
gougler08
AG
59 South said:

So true. Sometimes I just block it all out and think of it as numbers on a screen in a game where the goal is the make the numbers keep getting bigger and bigger.
I had sold covered calls at 9 and thought there was no chance in getting called out...looks like I'll take the 100% profit on this one and call it a day (it's been a long ride on NIO)
59 South
AG
gougler08 said:

59 South said:

So true. Sometimes I just block it all out and think of it as numbers on a screen in a game where the goal is the make the numbers keep getting bigger and bigger.
I had sold covered calls at 9 and thought there was no chance in getting called out...looks like I'll take the 100% profit on this one and call it a day (it's been a long ride on NIO)
This is the definition of #winning brother. Don't get the fomo if it gets silly. But do watch for a retrace to reenter if that happens. I'm still waiting for that on WKHS!
gougler08
AG
No doubt...I take stocks off my watchlist once I sell to try and avoid the FOMO
59 South
AG
For the longer term, I'm starting to get the feeling that an electric vehicle bubble is getting started much like the tech bubble of late 90s. TSLA, WKHS, NIO... the deal is it may just be getting going and could last some time. Anybody else think similar? I'm just scattershooting.
stroodles
AG
I'm trying to decide what to do with my WKHS. I caught it yesterday when it flashed below $14. Thinking about selling it all and taking a 50% profit for one day. But... I want to let winners run. I was in NIO at 3.25 and sold at 5.50 - I'm mad at myself now.
MAS444
AG
Do you/yall see JD as a good long term hold?
TxAG#2011
59 South said:

For the longer term, I'm starting to get the feeling that an electric vehicle bubble is getting started much like the tech bubble of late 90s. TSLA, WKHS, NIO... the deal is it may just be getting going and could last some time. Anybody else think similar? I'm just scattershooting.
I know it's beaten to death everywhere but TSLA is working to be much more than just an electric vehicle company. Elon is absolutely brilliant
59 South
AG
MAS444 said:

Do you/yall see JD as a good long term hold?
Maybe, but I wouldn't enter now. Watch for it to cool back into the 40s over the coming months. However, really long term, it has the potential to be the AMZN of China. But you're betting on China and all that risk.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.