Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

157,019 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Bob Knights Paper Hands
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. My cost basis is about $29.
WGann3
AG
Anyone a fan or invested in any of the Cloud Computing ETFs for a long hold? Been sizing up WCLD and SKYY for a while now and haven't pulled the trigger on either yet but very intrigued.
I bleed maroon
AG
WGann3 said:

Anyone a fan or invested in any of the Cloud Computing ETFs for a long hold? Been sizing up WCLD and SKYY for a while now and haven't pulled the trigger on either yet but very intrigued.

I have the same question. I know that I don't know enough about that space to pick winners and losers, but I'd like a little more exposure to the sector. I looked at CLOU the other day, but haven't bought anything yet. I was waiting on a pullback.
khaos288
AG
I bleed maroon said:

WGann3 said:

I have the same question. I know that I don't know enough about that space to pick winners and losers, but I'd like a little more exposure to the sector. I looked at CLOU the other day, but haven't bought anything yet. I was waiting on a pullback.
holdings wise SKYY is going to be a little more stable, and WCLD is going to be a bit more risk/reward. They both look good though, and I'm going to throw some in the 401k
WGann3
AG
I bleed maroon said:

WGann3 said:

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I somehow overlooked this CLOU fund, thanks for the heads up.

Like khaos mentioned, SKYY seems to be the safer of the 3 since it's top 5 holdings rae AMZN, MSFT, BABA, ORCL, and GOOGL. That's roughly 20% of the portfolio. Think I may be leaning towards WCLD for a little higher risk/reward.
I bleed maroon
AG
WGann3 said:

I bleed maroon said:

WGann3 said:

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I somehow overlooked this CLOU fund, thanks for the heads up.

Like khaos mentioned, SKYY seems to be the safer of the 3 since it's top 5 holdings rae AMZN, MSFT, BABA, ORCL, and GOOGL. That's roughly 20% of the portfolio. Think I may be leaning towards WCLD for a little higher risk/reward.
The other factor, which may or may not be important is the assets under management in the three ETFs. Rough Numbers:

WCLD - $161 million
CLOU - $670 million
SKYY - $4.1 billion

Sometimes this size factor affects the expense ratio and efficiency, along with nimbleness (smaller funds can sometimes move faster), and ability to take a meaningful stake (bigger is sometimes better). Despite being the smallest, it looks like WCLD leads the way on expense ratio (0.45%), followed by SKYY (0.60%) and CLOU (0.69) - none of these look out of line, but WCLD's extra 0.15% return could add up over time if they maintain this edge.

Food for thought.
PA24
AG
WKHS

Should I sell Before the long weekend and take my profits.

Not going do it just want to see who was right.
Larry S Ross
AG
Some stocks I'm invested in now. In my early 70s.
Any I should get rid of now and move to something else?
Hold?
aapl
amzn
fzaxx
baic
epd
igm
igv
ihi
jnj
mo
nttyy
oxy
pep
ponax
t
ual
vfh
wiw
Been in a lot of those for some time. I'm not complaining about them just curious if anyone sees something I should consider moving out of now. Thanks
Good Day.
gougler08
AG
Well I went ahead and bought back my NIO covered calls for just a small gain and then rolled to July 17 10.5 for $0.65, let's run baby!
HoustonAg2014
AG
Maybe move OXY to something else lol. Depends on your goals in your young 70s. I can't get on board with oil and gas stocks even with fat dividends except for XOM and Chevron. OXY is a prime bankruptcy candidate in our opinion.
PA24
AG
.......I am awful at getting out of a stock.

I think still have shares of Enron.

I would have starved if my incomes depended on stock marketing prowess.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Maybe move OXY to something else lol. Depends on your goals in your young 70s. I can't get on board with oil and gas stocks even with fat dividends except for XOM and Chevron. OXY is a prime bankruptcy candidate in our opinion.

I'd say the same. I'd be taking my gains in Oxy before next year. They have a huge debt payment next year and they just wrote down their assets.

I'm not long O&G in general, but if I had to take a major, I'll take CVX over XOM in a heartbeat. CVX has beaten XOM as far as shareholder return for several years now.

Only O&G I own is XLE, PXD and EOG.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
AgsnFly
AG
59 South said:

For the longer term, I'm starting to get the feeling that an electric vehicle bubble is getting started much like the tech bubble of late 90s. TSLA, WKHS, NIO... the deal is it may just be getting going and could last some time. Anybody else think similar? I'm just scattershooting.

The current valuations of those names may be stretched but the EV is coming in a very big way. Traditional car makers have a giant problem with their business model now and it is directly related to EV and how technology scales. Combustion is a mature technology with no room for improvement on the margin. EV is new technology with a enormous room to gain from scale. For every EV sold, that is one less combustion sold, which is one less sale to monetize the traditional car makers capital investment. I think the tipping point may even be behind us and now all traditional car makers will need to pivot in order to survive. Not mention the truly game changing advent of autonomous driving vehicles (who will be out front on that technology) that may usher in the next step in societal productivity. For disclosure, I have been very long the EV space. I have also witnessed and profited from many bubbles over the last two plus decades of trading. Best wishes.
Jet Black
So get in nio now?
AgsnFly
AG
Jet Black said:

So get in nio now?

Not sure about your risk tolerance but I am long and probably staying in it. Selling calls though given the vol. I like TSLA more - although covered short puts on it today.
Jet Black
I missed wkhs by waffling at $8/share. I don't want to miss this boat.
GtownRAB
AG
Jet Black said:

I missed wkhs by waffling at $8/share. I don't want to miss this boat.

I did the same thing on WKHS, a lot of us watched it rise without buying. Waiting on profit taking to cause a large dip which really didn't happen until briefly when it was already in the high teens.

I bought in NIO at $8.77, not real sure what to expect. Risky, but also has a high ceiling.

I trade stocks just in my fun money account, not retirement, so some high risk doesn't bother me.
Madmarttigan
AG
INO I kinda oscrewed up the dip, average is higher than I want it to be. Covid vaccine play that I think might go back up after a pretty dramatic drop.
PA24
AG
NIO has over a 1.1 billion outstanding shares.

Cost of a share is $9.38.
Is that company really worth that much money> Over $9 billion dollars????

WKHS has 92 million shares outstanding at just under $21/share.Is it a billion dollar company, nope far from it.

WKHS is betting on the future postal contract. Some say they have the inside track with the government approvals. 5-6 billion dollar contract.

Both companies are high risk......would advise NOT to invest any money you cant live without.

Madmarttigan
AG
Wkhs seems like it needs a little pullback for me before I would put in for a swing.
PA24
AG
WKHS
Dumped it all this morning.

They put out a cheesy film of putting together a electric truck. Nothing impressive, more like a couple of managers putting together 1 truck.

Read about the CEO and his history is spotty at best.

I made a lot of money and will watch them from a far

Carlo4
AG
So Tesla, Overstock, etc.... we looking at some bubble territory here?

Some of these gains seem insane to me.
HouAg12
AG
Does anyone use LEAP's as a medium term (6+ month) hold strategy? Have been particularly eyeing MSFT
fightintxag13
AG
I've got a couple of LEAP's that I bought last month as a way to leverage the same upside with less cash (I was almost tapped out on cash at the time). I bought June 2021 $155 SQ calls and a ROKU Jan. 2021 $140 call as well. I plan on holding both of those until at least 1-2 months before expiration.
TxAG#2011
Came across an interesting fractal yesterday

59 South
AG
Funny, I'll piggy back on the above post...I was a little hesitant to post since it is a little 'out there' tbh...

On tech and NDX, I've been studying some long term stuff a bit recently to try to rationalize recent price action. I like to look at long term charts, log scale, usually monthly or sometimes weekly. Then I mark the clear trendline channels. It's never exact, nothing is, but I'm always shocked out how much price respects these levels. I usually look for primary and secondary channels (secondary usually being middle between primary).

I still haven't soaked it all in, but initial thoughts are that June was a potential power move long term trend breakout, and now we are seeing if July follows through. Thought I was crazy at first so I:

1) Looked at the NDX components, and asked myself if I would want to be long or short those companies weighted from top down. Do I really want to short AMZN? MSFT? NFLX? PYPL? I think Covid has turned over a rock and exposed just how dependent we are and will continue to be on tech leaders moving forward.

2) Looked back at ~35 year history on NDX and tried to compare similar monthly breakout candles to June. This is what shocked me when looking for the best comparisons:

• January '91 - this one is very similar both exactly 2 months after bottom and bullish engulfing reversal.
  • September '96 - the extreme bullish case. All us 'permabulls' will be loaded by Christmas '23.

PA24
AG
PA24
AG
PA24
AG
PA24
AG

PA24
AG
Sorry for the multiple post.

Looking at getting back into some oil stocks, specifically
Exxon
Marathon
WES
Halliburton
Oil states
SPN

Oil futures are climbing.

Also daily paying LK, made a nice hit today.

K_P
AG
Can anyone recommend a free/affordable alternative to FactSet or Bloomberg?

For instance I would like to pull EPS for the last 10 years for 50 tickers quickly.
Wirefence99
JAGGF

.44 now

Nice

$1+ by spring
RightWingConspirator
AG
Just added SQ to my holdings. I've probably purchased at the wrong time, but once again, i'm holding for multiple years on most of my holdings....although seriously tempted to dump my EOG right now. At any rate....
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
LOYAL AG
AG
Carlo4 said:

So Tesla, Overstock, etc.... we looking at some bubble territory here?

Some of these gains seem insane to me.

I read an article that showed a huge amount of the rise in Tesla is being driven by retail action from Robinhood. Scary to think about a bunch of millennials driving up the price of a stock based on whatever they consider a fundamental. Actually made me consider buying a few way OOM puts that are two months out. I have to think it pulls back at some point. Of course I see NIO the same way and here we are up over 100% in a month.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.